HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tyler Wright Leaves CBJ Organization

Old
07-04-2013, 08:18 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe View Post
If it's the one of W. Fifth Ave., they could use some improvement.

And also, where is my Pretzel Bacon Cheeseburger?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe View Post
Not having a clue about interactions hasn't stopped us from having strong opinions before!!!!
Good to see you posting again Kallio.

New meds?

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 08:35 AM
Matt

I have never seen or heard Jeff Rimer say anything out of line in public or private. He is a kind and gracious gentleman through and through. What you are saying about him is pure bull.

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 08:39 AM
EspenK

I played golf with Rimer once and he didn't seem like the kind of guy who thought his stuff didn't stink (although his golf wasn't the best )

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 08:47 AM
DJAnimosity
fear= the mindkiller

Send a message via Yahoo to DJAnimosity
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
I have never seen or heard Jeff Rimer say anything out of line in public or private. He is a kind and gracious gentleman through and through. What you are saying about him is pure bull.
Agreed. Ran into him at the Chipotle in the Arena District once and he was an extraordinarily nice dude who shot the **** with me for a few while we waited in line.

DJAnimosity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 08:51 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
Good to see you posting again Kallio.

New meds?
OLD meds. Found them in the back of the medicine cabinet.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 09:36 AM
jacketman10

EJ Hradek ‏@EJHradek_NHL 13h
With DET losing 2 veteran scouts to DAL, don't be surprised if recently departed CBJ Dir. of Amateur Scouting Tyler Wright turns up in DET

jacketman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 10:27 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacketman10 View Post
EJ Hradek ‏@EJHradek_NHL 13h
With DET losing 2 veteran scouts to DAL, don't be surprised if recently departed CBJ Dir. of Amateur Scouting Tyler Wright turns up in DET
I wouldn't be surprised, but that said, its would be a significant step down. I don't think he was going in anywhere and having carte blanche as far as positions go.

If Tyler likes scouting, he needs to get his feet wet actually grinding out a scouts schedule. If memory served me correct, he never actually was a "scout" in title here.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 07:46 PM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrral View Post
I always thought he was in over his head. Glad for the change. Good luck Tyler.
Yes, and I doubt he would admit it.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 05:04 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
I wouldn't be surprised, but that said, its would be a significant step down. I don't think he was going in anywhere and having carte blanche as far as positions go.

If Tyler likes scouting, he needs to get his feet wet actually grinding out a scouts schedule. If memory served me correct, he never actually was a "scout" in title here.
One of those guys that DET lost was amateur head scout.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 01:21 PM
InjuredChoker

Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline 1 min
Told former #CBJ dir. of amat. scouting Tyler Wright will join #RedWings scouting staff; current #CBJ scout Andrew Dickson is going w him.

Old
07-11-2013, 01:31 PM
skimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by InjuredChoker View Post
Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline 1 min
Told former #CBJ dir. of amat. scouting Tyler Wright will join #RedWings scouting staff; current #CBJ scout Andrew Dickson is going w him.
Proof that Wright is actually god's gift to scouting? Or an insidious plot hatched by Jarmo?

skimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 02:38 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by skimp View Post
Proof that Wright is actually god's gift to scouting? Or an insidious plot hatched by Jarmo?
Put it this way, Operation Trojan Horse is going just as planned.

Then again, amateur scouting for the Wings is not really a high priority.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 02:59 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Wings fan here.

Give it to me straight: is this a solid addition for us? I get the impression that it's not. If it's not, just how bad are we talking?

Guru Meditation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 02:59 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Then again, amateur scouting for the Wings is not really a high priority.
It has been recently. Holland has talked a lot about drafting, drafting and developing and developing. And how it's the biggest thing in the league.

Old
07-11-2013, 04:46 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru Meditation View Post
Wings fan here.

Give it to me straight: is this a solid addition for us? I get the impression that it's not. If it's not, just how bad are we talking?
I can't give an objective evaluation as I'm too busy giggling.

Not so much over "omg he sucks so much" (he doesn't, it just seemed questionable whether or not he was the best choice and he rose through the ranks suspiciously quickly), but more about how Detroit is hiring our cast-off scouting management.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 04:52 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Quote:
Wings fan here.

He's alright I guess.

CBJBrassard16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 05:48 PM
DJAnimosity
fear= the mindkiller

Interesting that Wright would take a demotion to work for the Wings (I'm guessing he's not their director of amateur scouting), but not the CBJ. Guess the question is how much of a demotion he was offered.

Old
07-11-2013, 08:39 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Wings fan here.

I'm not convinced Tyler Wright has EVER done any serious scouting for any significant length of time. Perhaps he could be developed into a good scout and, because of this, it's a good risk for the Wings to take.

But being given the role of Director of Amateur Scouting for the CBJ just shows how the Peter Principle was hard at work in our organization. If Wright was not ready to be excellent in the position, it's not his fault. It's Howson's fault for putting him there.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:32 PM
LetsGOJackets!!

I agree with Leesmith on this

Director of Amateur scouting, held by an ex player that never worked as a scout.

On the other hand prospect selection in the later rounds seemed to get a little better with Howson and Tyler in their positions. Development was brought in question, but guys like Atkinson, Calvert, Savard & Prout seemed to be pretty good later selections for the Jackets.

LetsGOJackets!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:06 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGOJackets!! View Post
Director of Amateur scouting, held by an ex player that never worked as a scout.

On the other hand prospect selection in the later rounds seemed to get a little better with Howson and Tyler in their positions. Development was brought in question, but guys like Atkinson, Calvert, Savard & Prout seemed to be pretty good later selections for the Jackets.
One problem with that, which is that the time frame is off.

Wright was named development coach in July of 2007. He had absolutely nothing to do with scouting until August 2011, and even then he was supposed to juggle that along with development coaching duties. The amateur scouting director is Paul Castron, and has been since 2006 (when he replaced Don Boyd, who'd stuck around through 2011 anyway). For the most part, the staff that picked so well under Howson was hired by MacLean, with a couple of exceptions.

This would seem to bear out what I've been saying for years, which is that the issue wasn't with the scouts themselves, but with the complete lack of direction that existed under MacLean. Look at the 2008 draft, which was still entirely MacLean's scouting staff. Six NHL players out of nine picks, including four from the 5th round and later.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:19 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
One problem with that, which is that the time frame is off.

Wright was named development coach in July of 2007. He had absolutely nothing to do with scouting until August 2011, and even then he was supposed to juggle that along with development coaching duties. The amateur scouting director is Paul Castron, and has been since 2006 (when he replaced Don Boyd, who'd stuck around through 2011 anyway). For the most part, the staff that picked so well under Howson was hired by MacLean, with a couple of exceptions.

This would seem to bear out what I've been saying for years, which is that the issue wasn't with the scouts themselves, but with the complete lack of direction that existed under MacLean. Look at the 2008 draft, which was still entirely MacLean's scouting staff. Six NHL players out of nine picks, including four from the 5th round and later.
Kopitar is too Russian

Fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:50 PM
DJAnimosity
fear= the mindkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
Kopitar is too Russian

Who said this? Kopitar is from Slovenia.

Old
07-11-2013, 10:55 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJAnimosity View Post

Who said this? Kopitar is from Slovenia.
that was "rumored" to be what the reasoning was Dougie Mac didn't take him...

yes, i'm serious...

rumored only put in quotes b/c its not really documented anywhere, just i was told this by a few diff cbj employees

Fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 08:40 AM
HoldFast13
DESTROY!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
So, you're around him 24/7 of every waking day? First of all I stated quite plainly it was hearsay. And my point was more about Wright than Rimmer. Every time I've met Rimmer he was very nice to me (as a fan, wearing a jersey at Rbar) That being said, I've known the guy who waited on him for several years and he's not really one for his BS. Plus what exactly would be his advantage for making that up?

HoldFast13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 09:31 AM
Ludicrous Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoldFast13 View Post
I honestly heard from a server at a certain Short North restaurant that both Tyler Wright and of all people, Rimer were the worst of the CBJ personal to deal with when they came in. Apparently Rimer was such an a**hole several other people at the table were taking the server aside and apologizing for him. Nicest guy to wait on was JD (I can totally see that). The whole thing kind of surprised me really. Of course that's all hearsay. Although I did think Wright had kind of a weird attitude in the footage when he was talking to Seth Jones in that draft video a couple weeks ago. He just seemed very dismissive, something like "Look you probably won't be there when our pick is up....(Wright interrupts) "If you're there at 14 we'll have you on the team" ..........definitely not a professional way to speak to a potential number 1 draft pick. (Paraphrasing of course)
I serve in a very high-brow part of town, and I swear that some of the nicest people I've ever met are some of the most demanding when it comes to their food. I wouldn't put too much stock into what wait staff thinks of a person. We hate everyone

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote