HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Tony Marinaro interviews George Laraque

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-11-2013, 03:07 PM
  #76
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 22,766
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
One point that BGL seemed to miss in this, and it was obvious when he played here, is that being a great ENFORCER is not about necessarily winning all your fights. Nobody puts Thornton in the top 10 fighters of the last 10 years, he is a grappler/wrestler of the first degree, but because he defends his teammates, he was an excellent enforcer.

If in game 5 of the season Lucic takes a run at Subban and Parros goes after him in 4-1 game and takes an extra 2 or 4 but sends a clear message "you don't mess with my guys" do you think MT and MB will be pissed? I think not. White got in trouble for what his did to Ott because he got sucked in by an agitator, if Ott had kneed Desharnais or Pacioretty and White jumped him NOBODY would have complained, not the fans, not MT or MB.
Not so sure about that. White was punished because he stood up for Gorges when he got checked from behind. That was ''strike 1''.
I remember this clearly because I called out people for wanting guys that will just drop the gloves and ''not send a fax'' and beat up opponents when they take liberties but when White did it they all criticized him. Double standard, the usual on our board.

I had no problems with what White did to Ott. Punch that little pest in the face, beat him up. It's our team's job to stick up for White after and kill the penalty. That didn't happen though. I saw a lot of White sticking up for our team, but little team sticking up for White.

After that, White held back, his game changed, and he became nothing but an expendable 4th liner.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 03:10 PM
  #77
izzy75
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 579
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
White was punished because he stood up for Gorges.... but when White did it they all criticized him. Double standard, the usual on our board
This is sums up a majority of our fan-base. Partly why we're ridiculed by others. And rightly so.

izzy75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 03:12 PM
  #78
izzy75
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 579
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I had no problems with what White did to Ott. Punch that little pest in the face,

I honestly though i was the only one. The way some of our fan-base reacted, you'd have thought White singlehandedly ruined our chances for the cup due to sociopathy.

izzy75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 03:15 PM
  #79
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Not so sure about that. White was punished because he stood up for Gorges when he got checked from behind. That was ''strike 1''.
I remember this clearly because I called out people for wanting guys that will just drop the gloves and ''not send a fax'' and beat up opponents when they take liberties but when White did it they all criticized him. Double standard, the usual on our board.

I had no problems with what White did to Ott. Punch that little pest in the face, beat him up. It's our team's job to stick up for White after and kill the penalty. That didn't happen though. I saw a lot of White sticking up for our team, but little team sticking up for White.

After that, White held back, his game changed, and he became nothing but an expendable 4th liner.
I would agree if Ott had done something, White jumping Ott wasn't justified and that why he ended up benched. He never got benched/scratched for defending Gorges.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 03:16 PM
  #80
izzy75
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 579
vCash: 500
Scotty Coulton ‏@SCoulton09 13m
As reported this am habs do sign Morrow. 2 year deal.

izzy75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 03:20 PM
  #81
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban
 
Team_Spirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 20,360
vCash: 700
'put him(PARROS) on the 4th line over Moen for sure'

lamo

I could kill Lucic so i wont fight him!

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 03:21 PM
  #82
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 22,766
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
I would agree if Ott had done something, White jumping Ott wasn't justified and that why he ended up benched. He never got benched/scratched for defending Gorges.
Therrien said he approached White after the Florida game when he unleashed on Fleischman, that was strike #1.
He took a double minor versus Ottawa a few games later, where they scored twice. That was strike #2.

Then the Ott incident. Strike #3.
But I disagree on him doing nothing, Ott went for a very low hip check, hitting White around the knee. He defended himself. I have no problem with that.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 03:21 PM
  #83
Lionel Mandrake
Generic user
 
Lionel Mandrake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: In the shadows
Country: Canada
Posts: 319
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
BGL is giving Parros alot of gas for the fire...love it, Parros will be out to prove everyone wrong come October!!

BGL does seriously need to stop running his mouth, it's becoming quite annoying...
I'd say more sad than annoying.

Lionel Mandrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 03:24 PM
  #84
izzy75
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 579
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
lamo

I could kill Lucic so i wont fight him!
If you're going to cherry pick facts to support an agenda, at least choose a medium few of us have access to.

Laraque was crystal clear that his coach frowned on aggressive, proactive enforcing. He repeated this over and over and over again.

izzy75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 03:30 PM
  #85
Moen in Glory
@MoeninGlory
 
Moen in Glory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grenoble
Posts: 4,370
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
Someone make a quote about me so I can put it in my signature too.
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.
Aristotle, speaking about Jack Bourdain

Moen in Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 03:33 PM
  #86
Pr3Va1L
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 606
vCash: 500
As much as BGL should shut his mouth sometimes, the worst part is he was right with his declaration.. Watched a bunch of fights last night and Parros is not a scary guy, just like Prust he'll fight anyone and not lose too badly, but he won't hurt anyone too bad with his fists either.

Pr3Va1L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 03:40 PM
  #87
Coldplay
Courage
 
Coldplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,327
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy75 View Post
Scotty Coulton ‏@SCoulton09 13m
As reported this am habs do sign Morrow. 2 year deal.
This guy seems unusually confident in what he's saying. Probably just spewing BS and praying it will stick.

I hope he's right, but I won't hold my breath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moen in Glory View Post
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.
Aristotle, speaking about Jack Bourdain

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 03:45 PM
  #88
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred
 
habs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,650
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr3Va1L View Post
As much as BGL should shut his mouth sometimes, the worst part is he was right with his declaration.. Watched a bunch of fights last night and Parros is not a scary guy, just like Prust he'll fight anyone and not lose too badly, but he won't hurt anyone too bad with his fists either.
Disagree, one thing that annoyed him with Laraque interview, is he talked about how McLaren and Orr are the real guys Mtl should have got, but looking at the Parros fights vs both those guys, Parros has had the better of both those guys in fights, and they were not wrestling matches...

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 03:48 PM
  #89
Davebo
beep beep
 
Davebo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy75 View Post
Why don't you don't listen before running your mouth.
Who's to say he didn't???

They are both a bit moronic. Get it? I have zero respect for that scrub laraque - he stopped fulfilling his role when he was with us, and doesn't hesitate to throw the team under the bus every chance he gets. Sour grapes on his part.

Davebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 03:50 PM
  #90
izzy75
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 579
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
he talked about how McLaren and Orr are the real guys Mtl should have got, ...
That's not what he said. He was responding to Tony's questions about "finishers". So he listed a bunch of finishers.

But I would have been tickled pink with either of those guys over Parros. No question about it.

izzy75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 03:55 PM
  #91
Moen in Glory
@MoeninGlory
 
Moen in Glory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grenoble
Posts: 4,370
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy75 View Post
That's not what he said. He was responding to Tony's questions about "finishers". So he listed a bunch of finishers.

But I would have been tickled pink with either of those guys over Parros. No question about it.
BGL is contradicting himself though, explaining how Jacques Martin did not want him to fight and at the same time how he was still successfully "intimidating" guys like Lucic.

"They were quiet when I was on the team".

So he's saying he, as an enforcer didn't have to fight to fulfill his role, but the Habs now need someone who'll go "break some faces" or they will not be respected?

Moen in Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 03:55 PM
  #92
dkdanielkli
GO HABS GO
 
dkdanielkli's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,618
vCash: 204
Send a message via Skype™ to dkdanielkli
I would've tattooed his face on my back if he knocked Lucic out that night.

__________________
Sens players beat up 5'8" Habs players, they are praised. Subban beats up a small Sens player, he's a coward, he's spot picking, he's this, he's that, he's too NBA, he's too NFL, cocky, classless, etc, etc, etc.... You guys are too much.
dkdanielkli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 03:56 PM
  #93
Coldplay
Courage
 
Coldplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,327
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moen in Glory View Post
BGL is contradicting himself though, explaining how Jacques Martin did not want him to fight and at the same time how he was still successfully "intimidating" guys like Lucic.

"They were quiet when I was on the team".

So he's saying he, as an enforcer didn't have to fight to fulfill his role, but the Habs now need someone who'll go "break some faces" or they will not be respected?
In other words - he's a hypocrite. And oblivious to that fact.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 04:21 PM
  #94
Halifaxhab
Registered User
 
Halifaxhab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,936
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
In other words - he's a hypocrite. And oblivious to that fact.
Yup. He's now a politician so par for the course there....not to mention, if he really cares for animals so much.....why does he eat their food...poor little creatures will starve!

Halifaxhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 04:25 PM
  #95
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred
 
habs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,650
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy75 View Post
That's not what he said. He was responding to Tony's questions about "finishers". So he listed a bunch of finishers.

But I would have been tickled pink with either of those guys over Parros. No question about it.
oh ok,

but nether those guys where able to "finish" Parros... just looked up Parros fights vs both guys in the past 3 years..

Parros has had the upper hand on McLaren 4 out of the 5 fights..

And better of 3 fights with Orr, the only guy to really get "finished" was Orr...

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 04:45 PM
  #96
E = CH²
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Sri Lanka
Posts: 15,623
vCash: 500
It's sad that SOOO many people would rather shoot the messenger than attack the message on this board.

Laraque is 100% right in everything he said on this issue and I'm not a big fan of Laraque like everyone else.

If you don't have a puncher, the guy better be able to play. We have had enough wrestler who can't play to know they're useless. Parros will be another in a long line of useless grabber.

Funny thing is I brought up all those points right before Laraque came out and said all the same things I said. It's because it's common sense.

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 04:59 PM
  #97
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service
 
Watsatheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,090
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy75 View Post
If you're going to cherry pick facts to support an agenda, at least choose a medium few of us have access to.

Laraque was crystal clear that his coach frowned on aggressive, proactive enforcing. He repeated this over and over and over again.
No excuses.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 04:59 PM
  #98
izzy75
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 579
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Laraque is 100% right in everything he said....
Appx four times Laraque said: "Don't take my word for it, watch Parros fight videos".

Years ago, I remember thinking: "This guy ain't much of an enforcer". And the tapping everyone on the butt shtick after a fight... get outta here.

Whatever. He's here, and hopefully that frees up Prust/White to do their thing, albeit with smaller dudes.

izzy75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 05:04 PM
  #99
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
It's sad that SOOO many people would rather shoot the messenger than attack the message on this board.
I don't care about Parros ability or non-ability to fight. Not important. Until we find somebody who can, he relieves Prust from that pressure. We need Prust the hockey play to play hockey. Not to injure himself fighting. It relieves everybody who thinks they are fine because he's there. It's 1 freakin year. Honestly, we didn't commit to 4 years. We'll see what he's about and if he's done...he's gone. Until then, everybody in the Habs lineup relaxes a little even if he ends losing all of his fights. At the very least, he'll go at it.

Now....it's all about being relevant. How the heck are you allowed to say such things when you actually weren't able to do your job properly. Oh because Jacques Martin didn't want to? But he played 33 games with Carbonneau...was he that much intimidating? Or did he solely concentrated in doing some staged fights? Wasn't he on the ice when Brule blindsided Chipchura? How dare does this guy say that the opponents were shy when he was dressed?

He does not have the relevancy to state such statements towards a guy who ACTUALLY does his job better than him as far as protecting guys and still is relevant enough to do his job. How come Laraque wasn't contacted after his stint with the Habs if he's so important to any team? Yes, sorry, usually I'm more "don't hate the player, hate the game" but in that instance, it is impossible to go and forget who the player is....The guy was fired during the season. How many tons of players did that happen....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 05:09 PM
  #100
Lozela
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 273
vCash: 500
Funny that no one mentioned the part where he talks about the double standard when it comes to race.

Ex: Subban and Price early career mistakes

Lozela is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:57 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.