HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kovalchuk retires from the NHL

Old
07-11-2013, 03:24 PM
CNS
A World Alone

vCash: 500
Also:

Dmitry Chesnokov ‏@dchesnokov 1m
Source close to Kovalchuk said he saw it coming. Most likely Kovalchuk will play for SKA. I am told major announcement will come very soon.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 03:26 PM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
I really don't understand these kind of posts or the ones saying the Kings "dodged a bullet". As far as I can tell, the guy walked away from a massive amount of $$$, the exact opposite of what a selfish person would do. In addition, if his injuries are indeed chronic, he did the Devils a MASSIVE favor. I don't get the hate at all. He was a fantastic player and I for one will miss seeing him in the NHL.
And what if he signs with the KHL? You can bet your ass he's playing in the Olympics.

It doesn't look good whatsoever for Kovalchuk. He didn't even want to come back when the lock out ended. It all looks for very fishy right now.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
cheap77
Go Kings!

Since I don't really like NJ. This news made me laugh.

cheap77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Reclamation Project
Technically Missing

We all know the KHL isn't a poor league...

Reclamation Project is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 03:27 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reclamation Project View Post
We all know the KHL isn't a poor league...
He apparently made $15M during the LOCKOUT. Unreal. ****...I get why he's doing it business wise. That's stupid money.

Old
07-11-2013, 03:28 PM
Shellz

Dmitry Chesnokov ‏@dchesnokov 6m
Source close to Kovalchuk said he saw it coming. Most likely Kovalchuk will play for SKA. I am told major announcement will come very soon.

Old
07-11-2013, 03:29 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
I really don't understand these kind of posts or the ones saying the Kings "dodged a bullet". As far as I can tell, the guy walked away from a massive amount of $$$, the exact opposite of what a selfish person would do. In addition, if his injuries are indeed chronic, he did the Devils a MASSIVE favor. I don't get the hate at all. He was a fantastic player and I for one will miss seeing him in the NHL.
I guarantee you that he is going to get paid quite handsomely in the KHL and will likely earn even more, especially considering taxes. I wouldn't be surprised if Lou had a hand in pushing him out the door, his contract was designed for early retirement and the Devils would have incurred a lot of penalties in a few years against the cap, retiring now causes the minimum amount of damage, so I am sure Lou had a hand in helping him choose now as the time to retire.

The Kings definitely dodged a bullet though, who knows what would have happened if the Devils didn't offer that contract. Leiweke was set to pay him handsomely. Even with a reasonable deal by Dean's standards, Kovalchuck was going to be paid something on the order of $70+ million in LA. Even if we weren't an appealing choice for him, if the Devils walk away, this could have very well been us today.

“We still have a lot of guys who haven't scored a goal since Jesus was a baby.” - Darryl Sutter
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 03:34 PM
Omni Owl
Ray of Black Sun

Sucks for that organization, especially considering Ilya had some great chemistry with Loktionov. That was going to be an exciting line for next year. Now what the **** are they supposed to do? Sign Brunner, Penner, Grabovski, Holloway, Vanek?

Omni Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 03:36 PM
Richie10

I for one am loling heartily.

Devils fans were beyond obnoxious during the whole Kovalchuk saga in 2010. Guy strung us along and later chirped the city when he didn't sign here. Good riddance.

Yeah, what a saint for leaving 70 million on the table when he's going to make 100+ playing out his career in Russia.

Richie10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 03:37 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

SKA has no upper limit budget. That team might honestly be spending more on players than ANY team in NHL, no lie. If he can make 10+ million over there and be happier all the better for him. Sucks for NJD fans, but honestly the guy has to make the best decision for him and his life. I do not blame him even slightly for that.

The interesting thing is if the NHL will protest this with regards to the MOU. I imagine that the KHL will tear up that MOU for a Kovalchuk, but how will this play out.

This is a close to home issue for the Kings though, since if NHL protests, KHL rips up the MOU, that would leave Prokhorkin free to sign with Kings and come over (as is his goal obviously after he signed for MUCH less money to head to Manchester last year). Maybe we see Prokhorkin in Manchester and maybe even some time in LA next season.

Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 03:37 PM
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH

The 2012 Kings ruined his Devils career.

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 03:38 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Dmitry Chesnokov ‏@dchesnokov 10s
If Radulov is making around $7m per year with 13% flat tax rate, Kovalchuk will get way more (over 10). I was told he liked it there.

Cash Rules Everything Around Ilya

CREAM

Old
07-11-2013, 03:41 PM
Asheru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeypete View Post
The Mayor John Hoven ‏@mayorNHL 3m
And people wonder why Dean Lombardi places such high value on character. #Kovy

well said by Hoven
Except Lombardi did offer him a long contract...it just wasn't as over the top as New Jersey's.

We weren't saved by valuing character. We were saved by Lombardi keeping the big salary picture in mind.

Asheru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 03:41 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Talk about getting kicked in the balls. They lost Parise last summer, and now Kovalchuk (and Clarkson as well). And on top of all that, they will also be forfeiting their 1st round pick in 2014 which is set to be a very high draft pick.

Ya think they regret not opting to forfeit their pick in 2012? What a huge mistake that was.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 03:42 PM
ReverseSweep
Kingspiracy.

Glad he never joined LA. See ya quitter.

ReverseSweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 03:44 PM
ReverseSweep
Kingspiracy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post

The Devils made a deal with the devil and lost.

ZING!! That should be the quote off the offseason...

ReverseSweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 03:44 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottkmlps View Post
The real funny thing about this? The Devils still lose next year's 1st round pick. Losing Kovy inches that closer to the 1st overall.
ouch.

And the NHL had better not cave and reduce the punishment.

Not that I think they will, but several NJD fans have been hoping that the "punishment" to be lessened (is that a word?) or cancelled entirely.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 03:46 PM
CNS
A World Alone

JR calling Kovalchuk selfish. You hypocritical ****. Shut up moron.

Old
07-11-2013, 03:47 PM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Ya think they regret not opting to forfeit their pick in 2012? What a huge mistake that was.

It's a lot easier to say that now.

Old
07-11-2013, 03:48 PM
Reclamation Project
Technically Missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie10 View Post
I for one am loling heartily.

Devils fans were beyond obnoxious during the whole Kovalchuk saga in 2010. Guy strung us along and later chirped the city when he didn't sign here. Good riddance.

Yeah, what a saint for leaving 70 million on the table when he's going to make 100+ playing out his career in Russia.
Don't forget how obnoxious most were after we won our Cup.

Reclamation Project is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 03:49 PM
ShattStar03

Last summer, I heard rumors that Kovy wanted to stay in Russia after the lockout. I just dismissed it as bs

But wow I never thought he'd do this.

ShattStar03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 03:50 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
I'll reserve the character debate until Kovy's official announcement, but barring some significant life event (serious injury, family problem, or health crisis) Kovy is going to take a lot of heat for this. He won't care in Russia making $15 million, but this will echo in the NHL for a bit. The Russian factor just took on a whole new meaning. Kovy will now be the archetype used. Hopefully that means more Voynovs and Zykovs for us

Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice 14m
Lamoriello said Kovalchuk brought up idea of wanting to stay in Russia after lockout. Never mentioned it again until recently.

Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 03:51 PM
Vic Vinegar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
I like how EVERYONE knew this wasa bad move at the time. Watching Devils fans try and defend it was hilarious.

Vic Vinegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post
It's a lot easier to say that now.
Not really. They had the second to last pick in the draft that year. How likely was it for them to get to the Finals or win the Cup after that, especially with the possibility of losing Zach Parise (which did happen). No hindsight necessary here. They goofed up by not forfeiting their 2012 pick.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShattStar03 View Post
Last summer, I heard rumors that Kovy wanted to stay in Russia after the lockout. I just dismissed it as bs

But wow I never thought he'd do this.
Oh yeah, like I said.. he didn't even want to come back when the lock out ended. I'm assuming he was just going to finish this year and then bolt because Kovalchuk has been "thinking" about it for awhile now.

He gutted the Devils franchise. No way you can respect a player who does that.