HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the League #6: Dat Hertl

Closed Thread

Old
07-11-2013, 04:33 PM
plikestechno

vCash: 500
I wonder if the Devils werent behind this TBH. They get a ton of cap space and save themselves around 60 million actual dollars. If they werent behind it I'm willing to bet they didnt try too hard to keep him here.

It would be less of a surprise if he quit 3-4 years from now but its all very fishy imho and i dont think the devils hands are clean in this.

Old
07-11-2013, 04:34 PM
plikestechno

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0mf00lery View Post
Looks good on Lou. His shenanigans are catching up with him.
Yep. No sympathy whatsoever.

Old
07-11-2013, 04:37 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

They kinda had it coming. The Kovalchuk contract was a joke in the first place. I actually hope they finish bottom 5 and lose a top 10 pick for trying to cheat. On the bright side, there are now two teams that can challenge the Flames for McDavid, the other being Buffalo.

Old
07-11-2013, 04:40 PM
t0mf00lery

Will the NHL just leave them out of the lottery for the first overall pick in the draft? I wonder how they will structure that?

Old
07-11-2013, 04:50 PM
Toydarian

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this already, but the reason NJD didn't give up their 2012 1st round pick (29th overall) was because there was miss-communication/miss-understanding between the NHL and NJDs. The Devils were under the impression they had a longer time frame to submit the paperwork to the NHL (something like 72 hours) when they only had 48 hours.

The Devils wanted to give up their 2012 pick but missed the deadline.

Old
07-11-2013, 04:59 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toydarian View Post
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this already, but the reason NJD didn't give up their 2012 1st round pick (29th overall) was because there was miss-communication/miss-understanding between the NHL and NJDs. The Devils were under the impression they had a longer time frame to submit the paperwork to the NHL (something like 72 hours) when they only had 48 hours.

If the Oilers did that the entire fanbase would be screaming for the GMs head. And rightfully so. They should have had that paperwork in 15 minutes after the Kings won the cup.

Quote:
Will the NHL just leave them out of the lottery for the first overall pick in the draft? I wonder how they will structure that?
They'd probably leave them in for the lottery and then make them forfeit the pick whether they win or not.

Old
07-11-2013, 05:00 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Turtle Renji

Did Kovy give any reason?

Old
07-11-2013, 05:00 PM
ponokanocker

Quote:

They look even more dumb then. I don't know how Lou kept his job over that miff.

The team definitely deserved this fate with the contract they tried to give out, and even the one that the league eventually allowed them to have.

Kovy will play in the KHL, and then I bet will come back. Just gross.

And in the end, its the fans(NJ fans) that suffer the most. I would boycott the Oilers if they pulled this kind of BS.

Old
07-11-2013, 05:02 PM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

So what's stopping him from un-retiring and signing a new contract this season in the NHL?

Old
07-11-2013, 05:12 PM
ponokanocker

Not sure how legit it is, but:

RT @AlexandrZaytsev: Sport-Express is reporting that Kovalchuk will play for SKA in the KHL.

Old
07-11-2013, 05:18 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

77 million left on a contract? Kovalchuk laughs at that

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...210237775.html

Old
07-11-2013, 05:20 PM
Rebuild the Rebuild

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
They kinda had it coming. The Kovalchuk contract was a joke in the first place. I actually hope they finish bottom 5 and lose a top 10 pick for trying to cheat. On the bright side, there are now two teams that can challenge the Flames for McDavid, the other being Buffalo.
I'd love for them to finish dead last and have to give up the McDavid pick, when they should have given up the Matteau pick.

Old
07-11-2013, 05:21 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Did Kovy give any reason?
The contract he's about to sign in the KHL will be all the reason you need.

Old
07-11-2013, 05:32 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponokanocker View Post
They look even more dumb then. I don't know how Lou kept his job over that miff.

The team definitely deserved this fate with the contract they tried to give out, and even the one that the league eventually allowed them to have.

Kovy will play in the KHL, and then I bet will come back. Just gross.

And in the end, its the fans(NJ fans) that suffer the most. I would boycott the Oilers if they pulled this kind of BS.
Why he's still there? It's quite easy, one good Gm's are giving the benefit of the doubt. Lou has run a pretty successful team. They've missed the playoffs 4 times in 25 years or whatever it's been.

That and the ownership has had so much debacle financially that they have bigger fish to fry than losing a 1st rounder.

Old
07-11-2013, 05:33 PM
shogun99

Kovy will take home more in the next 5 years in the KHL then he will for his entire NHL career.

Old
07-11-2013, 05:33 PM
Comrade Blunderbore
Генерал Файлюра

holy crap, i'm crushed. NOBODY saw this coming, not a single whisper.

Old
07-11-2013, 05:39 PM
t0mf00lery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blunderbore View Post
holy crap, i'm crushed. NOBODY saw this coming, not a single whisper.
Not even when the talk of him not coming back from Russia after the lockout surfaced?

I think the signs were there, but no one was paying attention due to the large contract term he had with the Devils.

Old
07-11-2013, 05:41 PM
Comrade Blunderbore
Генерал Файлюра

Quote:
Not even when the talk of him not coming back from Russia after the lockout surfaced?

I think the signs were there, but no one was paying attention due to the large contract term he had with the Devils.
no, really. everything was considered sorted.

Old
07-11-2013, 05:45 PM
OilGuns

This reminds me in a way of the Oilers losing all there good players after the run, and Pronger execpt the devils aren't getting anything back and losing a 1st. Wow.

Old
07-11-2013, 05:52 PM
AUAIOMRN

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLDraftGuru View Post
I'd love for them to finish dead last and have to give up the McDavid pick, when they should have given up the Matteau pick.
McDavid is 2015. They'd lose out on Ekblad/Nylander/Reinhart/etc.

Old
07-11-2013, 05:52 PM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

vCash: 1360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post
So what's stopping him from un-retiring and signing a new contract this season in the NHL?
1 year, I believe.

Old
07-11-2013, 05:54 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreAstronaut View Post
1 year, I believe.
That and all the GM's have to agree. Something tells me that isn't going to happen.

Old
07-11-2013, 05:59 PM
lere2001

I think Tencer voiced my fears the best. Loud and clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Tencer
On Kovalchuk: lets hope this is simply an indictment on the character of one player and not indicative of a trend about to start.

Old
07-11-2013, 06:02 PM
Sheeshta

Quote:

Do you have a source for this please?

Old
07-11-2013, 06:05 PM
BlowbyBlow

I know people are going to dump on Kovalchuk which they should but put this in perspective he isn't Alexei Yashin who may go down as the most hated russian ever.

I mean he refused to play for Ottawa due to contract reasons, quit on the team when he was there (and later said he did) got traded to NYI got a huge contract, (a contract that hurt the team financially at the time) played like garbage had to be bought out and then left for Russia.

Yashin pissed off two fan bases that still hate him today, Kovalchuk's problem is he didn't communicate.

You know the biggest problem with most negotiations/contracts/agreements (I should know i am in that business) is that people usually aren't honest in communicating future goals/plans/dreams/desires, ect.

Where things went wrong
- 3 years ago Kovalchuk and the devils had the choice of short term deals, anything in between or long term deals. What do they chose? 14 years. yikes .

First design the most suitable contract - Why have 29 teams fight for your service if you can easily say I wish for short term, max amount contract, rather than a long term, bifurcated contract (essentially getting little money some years, others larger payout)

- Communicate your desires in the first place (in 2010 Ilya had already played 9 years in the NHL how did 3 years things change dramatically; probably didn't - goes to show the cba and contracts being signed have to have clauses where if you only play certain amount of years you have to pay back money; (something beyond if its not a mutual agreement between the player and the club that the devils in this case can opt him not playing in the KHL; there is obviously loopholes, and mutually beneficial reasons for both player and team to say there fine with x player retiring - mostly because if they hold a player back it hurts there brand, alienates future russians, ect, ect)

In the long run, this is Ilya's fault for not making a decisions 3 years earlier when in fact he left an option to come back, he didn't hurt a franchise a chance at free agency this year, and also didn't cost a team 2 first rounders, and prospects, and future picks they lost in 2014.

Closed Thread