HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Out of Town Thread part LXV - All Talk From Around the League Here

Closed Thread

Old
07-11-2013, 04:25 PM
Harpo
Lyle forever

vCash: 500
The question really is: As of now, would you give Kovalchuk a 12 years contract at 6.7 mill/year?

Some would, some would'nt.

Of course, they've been screwed because of all they gave up for him. But I'm not sure I would want this contract, given his back problems.

Old
07-11-2013, 04:26 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Going through the devils thread wasn't much help. Anyone know if he's still going to get paid (im assuming not). How does it affect the cap?

Lastly i'm pretty sure he had front loaded contract, so from a economic point of view and health oriented point of view, he chose the best decision available.

Old
07-11-2013, 04:28 PM
TT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpo View Post
The question really is: As of now, would you give Kovalchuk a 12 years contract at 6.7 mill/year?

Some would, some would'nt.

Of course, they've been screwed because of all they gave up for him. But I'm not sure I would want this contract, given his back problems.
lol his contract is void, hes going back to the KHL

like i said lou basically circumvented the salary cap and got rid of kovi's contract. theyre even keeping their 2013-2014 1st (as per Kypreos on PTS)

Dmitry Chesnokov @dchesnokov
Source close to Kovalchuk said he saw it coming. Most likely Kovalchuk will play for SKA. I am told major announcement will come very soon.

Dmitry Chesnokov ‏@dchesnokov 3m
SKA will announce Kovalchuk's signing tomorrow, per @plysenkov, wanted to do it today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
Going through the devils thread wasn't much help. Anyone know if he's still going to get paid (im assuming not). How does it affect the cap?

Lastly i'm pretty sure he had front loaded contract, so from a economic point of view and health oriented point of view, he chose the best decision available.
NJ has to pay a 250k/year fine for the next 12 years, which is basically nothing

Last edited by TT1: 07-11-2013 at 04:40 PM.
Old
07-11-2013, 04:31 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

What a friggen sham. NHL should fine the Devils and Kovalchuk 10 mil each for this. He gets huge money in Russia and then comes back a UFA in 1-2 years after the Olympics. The Devils get under from his albatross contract.

This is a BS conspiracy, otherwise NJD would not have walked away from his contract and vided it. They are in on it.

Losing the 1st rounder next year with a pretty crappy team hurts though...

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 39s 6. When all is said and done, as big a short-term hole as Kovalchuk's departure leaves in NJ, it's a divorce of convenience for both sides.

Old
NLHabsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT1 View Post
ok so now that all the details are slowly trickling in it seems like lou had this planned out all along, all he basically did was circumvent the salary cap. NJ gets out of kovi's horrible contract (which they shouldnt have signed in the 1st place) at minimum cost.

and theyre apparently going to keep their 2013-2014 1st, they came out of this relatively unscathed tbh. apart from losing parise of course, guess thats the cost of signing someone to a retarded contract
Why and how?

Old
TT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLHabsFan View Post
Why and how?
dunno but thats what kypreos just said

Old
07-11-2013, 04:32 PM
Canadiens Ghost
Mr. Objectivity

So assuming he'll be signing with SKA, anybody wants to predict what the contract will be like?

Old
07-11-2013, 04:33 PM
shamrun

Quote:
lol his contract is void, hes going back to the KHL

like i said lou basically circumvented the salary cap and got rid of kovi's contract. theyre even keeping their 2013-2014 1st (as per Kypreos on PTS)

Dmitry Chesnokov @dchesnokov
Source close to Kovalchuk said he saw it coming. Most likely Kovalchuk will play for SKA. I am told major announcement will come very soon.

Dmitry Chesnokov ‏@dchesnokov 3m
SKA will announce Kovalchuk's signing tomorrow, per @plysenkov, wanted to do it today.

NJ has to pay a 250k fine a year for the next 12 years, which is basically nothing
Smells like cap circumvention to me.

Old
07-11-2013, 04:33 PM
TT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
What a friggen sham. NHL should fine the Devils and Kovalchuk 10 mil each for this. He gets huge money in Russia and then comes back a UFA in 1-2 years after the Olympics. The Devils get under from his albatross contract.

This is a BS conspiracy, otherwise NJD would not have walked away from his contract and vided it. They are in on it.

they are NOT losing their first rounder. they did however end up losing parise because they didnt have enough caproom to re-sign him due to kovi's contract
thats the only thing they lost out of all of this

Old
07-11-2013, 04:37 PM
optimus2861

Quote:

But if this was a conspiracy, why not retire before last week and give the Devils a chance to sign a replacement player via free agency?

This is beyond shocking. I got nothin'.

Old
07-11-2013, 04:39 PM
Ezpz
No mad pls

vCash: 50
Quote:

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 39s 6. When all is said and done, as big a short-term hole as Kovalchuk's departure leaves in NJ, it's a divorce of convenience for both sides.
Why would Kovalchuk come back for 12 million less per year?

Old
07-11-2013, 04:42 PM
Impossible Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus2861 View Post
But if this was a conspiracy, why not retire before last week and give the Devils a chance to sign a replacement player via free agency?

Maybe that's why they signed Clowe to a pretty big contract. And Ryder?

Old
07-11-2013, 04:43 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Anybody still think the "Russian factor" is a myth created by xenophobia????

Old
07-11-2013, 04:44 PM
NLHabsFan

Quote:
dunno but thats what kypreos just said
That would be stupid if true. Whether he retired or not, when they signed the contract it was illegal and found as cap circumvention and this was part of their penalty. It should not change.

Old
07-11-2013, 04:44 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
they are NOT losing their first rounder. they did however end up losing parise because they didnt have enough caproom to re-sign him due to kovi's contract
thats the only thing they lost out of all of this
Why would they NOT lose their 1st rounder? Kovalchuk "retiring" shouldn't change the fact that the contract was pure cap circumvention.

Old
07-11-2013, 04:45 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Because the answer to losing your best winger is by signing a guy with a torn bicep.
Well they do have to regain some of their fans....having back one of their fan favorites will be good for them. And he'll come back from that injury at some point.

Old
07-11-2013, 04:46 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus2861 View Post

I'm sure the Devils knew this was happening before this afternoon. They may have even discussed a buyout last month and decided this was better and he agreed.

Old
07-11-2013, 04:46 PM
TT1

Quote:
Why would they NOT lose their 1st rounder? Kovalchuk "retiring" shouldn't change the fact that the contract was pure cap circumvention.
yo bro im tired of repeating the same thing over and over again to you, i have no idea why but thats what kypreos just said on PTS. do you even read whenever someone posts?

Old
07-11-2013, 04:50 PM
TT1

short-term they lose one of the best snipers in the nhl, long term they have more cap flexibility. they made a mistake by signing him to that contract in the first place and they got out of it with minimal loss. (parise + 250k/year for the next 12 years)

but yea parise isnt really a minimal loss , keeping that contract would have been much much worse tho

Old
07-11-2013, 05:00 PM
sheed36

So Lou gets out of that terrible contract at minimal cost and apparently gets out of forfeiting his 1st round pick also.. Does this guy have compromising photos of Bettman and other NHL employees or what?

It almost seems like Lou knew all along he wouldn't have to give up that 1st round pick by waiting until the last year to do so especially when he had the 29th pick. Such BS by the NHL if they forgive the Devils and not make them forfeit that pick IMO..

Old
07-11-2013, 05:02 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:

lol kovalchuks going back to russia and putting the NHL in his rearview, he gets this "10 million $ ticket" in the mail from the NHL, what do you think hes going to do?

sucks for devils fans i guess but i really couldnt give a ****, who does kovalchuk think he is micheal jordan?, peace out kovy

and lol @ the people thinking lou's gonna take gionta or DD, would you people PLEASE understand were STUCK with them? period.

Old
07-11-2013, 05:07 PM
prairie hab

The CBA is a joke.

Old
07-11-2013, 05:08 PM
elsubz

I'm sure Jersey is now in search of a true captain and would be open to trade for star winger Brian Gionta.

Old
07-11-2013, 05:13 PM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

vCash: 50
So basically, anybody can go to the KHL at anytime, contracted or not, by just signing their retirement papers...

And if they want to come back later, they can?

The KHL will NEVER sign a transfer agreement.

Old
07-11-2013, 05:17 PM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
lol kovalchuks going back to russia and putting the NHL in his rearview, he gets this "10 million $ ticket" in the mail from the NHL, what do you think hes going to do?

sucks for devils fans i guess but i really couldnt give a ****, who does kovalchuk think he is micheal jordan?, peace out kovy

and lol @ the people thinking lou's gonna take gionta or DD, would you people PLEASE understand were STUCK with them? period.
You sure know that

Who knows, really ?

Closed Thread