HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Miscellaneous NHL Talk Part VIII

Closed Thread

Old
07-11-2013, 04:08 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Miscellaneous NHL Talk Part VIII

Part VII

Quote:
2013-14 FLYERS' REGULAR SEASON SCHEDULE

http://flyers.nhl.com/v2/ext/2013-14_FULLSCHEDULE.pdf

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=678193

Quote:
The Philadelphia Flyers, in conjunction with the National Hockey League, today unveiled their schedule for the 2013-14 season.

The Flyers will open their 47th NHL season at home on Wednesday, October 2 when they host the Toronto Maple Leafs at the Wells Fargo Center. They will also close the season at home when they host the Carolina Hurricanes on Sunday, April 13.

"Our entire organization,including our players, our coaches and our staff, is excited to begin the season playing for the best fans in the league," said Comcast-Spectacor President Peter Luukko.

The Flyers schedule features a slightly new look this year as a result of the NHL’s new realignment, which groups the teams into four divisions – two each in the Eastern and Western Conference. The two Eastern Conference divisions contain eight teams each and the two in the Western Conference each have seven teams.

The Flyers are a member of the newly-named Metropolitan Division, which includes all the same teams from their most recent division – Pittsburgh, New Jersey, the NY Islanders and the NY Rangers – but they will also have three new division foes.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 08-07-2013 at 10:55 PM.
Old
07-11-2013, 04:09 PM
healthyscratch

vCash: 500
Philly Ducks: sounds great but it's still a 35+ contract, would still be against our cap.

Old
07-11-2013, 04:09 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
This sucks for the Devils right now but he saved the Devils from a horrific cap recapture penalty had he done this in 5-7 years.
I think you are right. I think, Lou has orchestrated what Kovy had wanted to do.

It's a huge win for NJ business wise-much cheaper than to buy him out for a cash strapped organization. They will owe $300,000 in cap charges for the next 12 years, though

Old
07-11-2013, 04:15 PM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 673
Just heard about Kovalchuk. I am shocked but I cant stop laughing.

Old
07-11-2013, 04:15 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

In related news, Russian Bias, a risky, but highly talented forward, has announced he has come out of retirement.

Old
07-11-2013, 04:21 PM
Philadelphia Ducks
#BringBackBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
Philly Ducks: sounds great but it's still a 35+ contract, would still be against our cap.
But if they both void the contract, it is no longer existing, so how can they enforce the 35+ rule, unless they'd void EVERY part of that contract except for the 35+ part? Why didn't Luongo and Vancouver both just void his contract last season, when Luo said he would get rid of his contract if he could, I just think this is going to be a slippery slope if they start allowing this to happen.

Last edited by Philadelphia Ducks: 07-11-2013 at 04:42 PM.
Old
07-11-2013, 04:54 PM
flyershockey

vCash: 50
The HF moralists on the main boards with their cries of "he can play wherever he wants" are annoying as hell. Of course Kovy can play wherever he wants, it's his life and his decision. But, devils fans have every right to be pissed off as well. Not only have most of them made an emotional commitment to team around Kovy, but a lot of them have made financial commitments to a team centered around Kovy through tickets, merchandise, etc. I would have a hard time not feeling the same way if faced with similar circumstances. That also doesn't take into account the large amount of financial and asset sacrifices that NJ made to keep Kovy there, all of which have now made the devils a worse team. To walk away with nothing to show for it is crazy to think about.

Old
07-11-2013, 04:59 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
The HF moralists on the main boards with their cries of "he can play wherever he wants" are annoying as hell. Of course Kovy can play wherever he wants, it's his life and his decision. But, devils fans have every right to be pissed off as well. Not only have most of them made an emotional commitment to team around Kovy, but a lot of them have made financial commitments to a team centered around Kovy through tickets, merchandise, etc. I would have a hard time not feeling the same way if faced with similar circumstances. That also doesn't take into account the large amount of financial and asset sacrifices that NJ made to keep Kovy there, all of which have now made the devils a worse team. To walk away with nothing to show for it is crazy to think about.
I wonder if this will impact their future in New Jersey?

Old
07-11-2013, 05:00 PM
Wiqkid*

Check ya later Kovy! woohoo! Hate the Devils

Old
07-11-2013, 05:01 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
You would have to think this doesn't help, and it's going to get worse once Brodeur retires. Now imagine if a guy like Henrique (who I think they'll build around now) walks at the first chance he gets.

Old
07-11-2013, 05:02 PM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

Quote:
Yeah, it'll be easier to find a buyer for the team without a $77 million commitment.

Old
07-11-2013, 05:05 PM
Curufinwe

I hope they get moved to Seattle.

Old
07-11-2013, 05:08 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikke View Post
Yeah, it'll be easier to find a buyer for the team without a $77 million commitment.
Well yeah but NJ had a hard time making revenue even with Kovy playing there and them being competitive.

The on-ice product is more than likely going to suffer without him being there which in turn would lose them even more money.

Old
07-11-2013, 05:11 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
You would have to think this doesn't help, and it's going to get worse once Brodeur retires. Now imagine if a guy like Henrique (who I think they'll build around now) walks at the first chance he gets.
They're more than likely going to have a tough time selling players to come there now & there isn't much young talent there to work with.

If I was Lou I would completely blow this team up at the deadline next year. It may be their only hope for the future.

Old
07-11-2013, 05:12 PM
Phileeguy
G's got good hands.

Just heard about it... Holy Crap.

Later, Kovy.

Old
07-11-2013, 05:21 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
They're more than likely going to have a tough time selling players to come there now & there isn't much young talent there to work with.

If I was Lou I would completely blow this team up at the deadline next year. It may be their only hope for the future.
Henrique, Schneider, and Larsson aren't terrible pieces. What will hurt is if they still have to forfit that pick this year. A top five pick would go a long way for a team that doesn't have much in the cupboard.

The biggest hit they'll take is with their fan base. They were finally starting to establish a solid base with a lot of second generation fans for the first time. I wonder how this will affect them.

Old
07-11-2013, 05:24 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Henrique, Schneider, and Larsson aren't terrible pieces. What will hurt is if they still have to forfit that pick this year. A top five pick would go a long way for a team that doesn't have much in the cupboard.

The biggest hit they'll take is with their fan base. They were finally starting to establish a solid base with a lot of second generation fans for the first time. I wonder how this will affect them.
Well Schneider's not old at 28 but by the time they turn it around he likely be in his 30's. I wouldn't be opposed to shipping him out if I was Lou.

I don't think you'll get back what you payed for him though so I could see the argument of holding onto him. It was a bad move by Lou to acquire him now knowing that this could possibly happen. That 9th pick could have helped a bit.

Old
07-11-2013, 05:29 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
While Schneider's not old at 28 but the time they turn it around he likely be in his 30's. I wouldn't be opposed to shipping him out if I was Lou.
They can't do that without completely alienating the fan base. Let him play while they groom his replacement. It'll suck for Schneider's cup hopes, but they can't just go full on Edmonton. They don't have the fan loyalty to wait that long. I could only see them moving him if he requests a trade as not to be part of a rebuild.

Old
07-11-2013, 05:53 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
Aren't they still having financial problems? This doesn't help.

Old
07-11-2013, 05:55 PM
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philadelphia Ducks View Post
But if they both void the contract, it is no longer existing, so how can they enforce the 35+ rule, unless they'd void EVERY part of that contract except for the 35+ part? Why didn't Luongo and Vancouver both just void his contract last season, when Luo said he would get rid of his contract if he could, I just think this is going to be a slippery slope if they start allowing this to happen.
The 35+rule isn't something written into individual contracts, so it can not be voided by a player and team. It can only be voided by a new CBA that is mutually agreed upon by the League and Players Association.

Old
07-11-2013, 05:56 PM
LegionOfDoom91

According to the Russian media Kovalchuk will sign with SKA St. Petersburg of the KHL for $20M per year tomorrow.

Old
07-11-2013, 05:58 PM
The Couturier Effect

Maybe Malkin's next

Old
07-11-2013, 05:59 PM
The Couturier Effect

Quote:
According to the Russian media Kovalchuk will sign with SKA St. Petersburg of the KHL for $20M per year tomorrow.
He could probably buy the Devils with that kind of money.

Old
07-11-2013, 06:03 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan8828 View Post
He could probably buy the Devils with that kind of money.
It's more than likely untaxed since KHL has been known to throw that kicker in there as well when trying to attract star Russian players.

Old
07-11-2013, 06:34 PM
FlyingPhilly

The Devils got screwed over.

Closed Thread