HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So Kovalchuk just retired

Old
07-11-2013, 04:05 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
i am totally running with the 'Kovy heroically sacrifices reputation in order to save the Devils' spin /winkyface sarcasm. sure, he bailed on them, but at the same time they were able to orchestrate it in a way that mitigated some of the detriment - consider, would Ryder + Clowe have signed if they knew Kovy was bolting?

Quote:
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 2m
4. NJ will miss Kovallchuk on ice in the short term but long-term gain is getting out from under long-term financial obligation.
https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/s...32236440485890

Quote:
Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC 7m
While the Devils would be annoyed from a hockey perspective, I'd bet league/ownership is not upset from a business perspective. Why?...
https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/stat...31629872824320

Quote:
Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC 7m
Because without this contract on the books, it will be easier to find a seller or a cash infusion for the team.
https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/stat...31781400444928

Last edited by Crafton: 07-11-2013 at 04:29 PM.
Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 04:06 PM
WarriorScholar

vCash: 500
Jersey fans will appreciate this move.........

In 10 years

WarriorScholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 04:08 PM
WarriorScholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87and71 View Post
And this is why i generally loathe Russian players. So much talent and more often than not, they are genuine *******s. It's unreal how many fit this bill.

So glad we go the exception to this rule in Malkin. Guy took way less money to stay under the radar in a smaller market. Love Malkin even more because of this.
I don't loathe em. Foreign athletes come to the US because its obviously the biggest market in every sport. However with the KHL being what it is now, I don't blame them for wanting to be home and still make the same/more money. Put yourself in their shoes.

WarriorScholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 04:13 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

man, they really should have given up the 29th pick in 2012.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 04:14 PM
lastcupever75
NY Roadkill

i told those fans moving to that **** hole of a city isnt solving their financial issues.

the proposed arena in hoboken or staying in the meadow lands would have been better fror them

lastcupever75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 04:14 PM
Sotty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyTwoTimes View Post
I don't loathe em. Foreign athletes come to the US because its obviously the biggest market in every sport. However with the KHL being what it is now, I don't blame them for wanting to be home and still make the same/more money. Put yourself in their shoes.
You know that there are more sports than just Hockey, Baseball, Football and Basketball, right?

Sotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 04:15 PM
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!

I think (probably naively) that his family really liked the life they led during the lockout and Kovy saw how the KHL had gotten more competitive financially, so it was a desire of thirs to return there sooner than in 2024. I just also happen to think Lou wasn't fighting it that hard. Recapture and debt in mind.

Edit: Actually I think it is a step in a process similar to many Brazilian soccer players going home to a revitalized league (driven by the 2014 World Cup) and the soccer world becoming less Euro-centric.

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 04:17 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyTwoTimes View Post
It was just a matter of time. With all of those 6's in his contract and Jerseys nickname, bound to happen

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 04:20 PM
The Oneironaut
FIRE SHERO/BYLSMA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87and71 View Post
And this is why i generally loathe Russian players. So much talent and more often than not, they are genuine *******s. It's unreal how many fit this bill.

So glad we go the exception to this rule in Malkin. Guy took way less money to stay under the radar in a smaller market. Love Malkin even more because of this.
That is ridiculous. My favorite post combating your line of thinking (taken from another thread):

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lewler View Post
I don't think alot of people realize the pull of "home" for many people.

I know being from Canada that I was born right in the heartland of the NHL and so you have that "potential" to live and play in a Canadian city, and at very least come play in Canada multiple times a year in front of friends and family, don't have to learn a new language or culture, so it's a no brainer, why would you go KHL?

Picture if the KHL was actually the premier hockey league in the world, but recently the NHL opened it's doors and you could play in Toronto now for 10 million a year instead of in Saint Petersburg for 6 million a year.

If someone is a relative homebody that's a pretty big pull...doesn't excuse backing out of 15 year contracts.. but still.
Kovalchuk certainly isn't leaving for the money- his biggest payday was ahead of him at over $11M per year, which is more than he'll be making in the KHL. This looks more and more and more like a homesick guy who is actually helping out his NHL team quite a bit.

He's going to his home country, going to one of the best cities in the world, and going to a league that's got a helluva lot more talent in it than North American fans - Canadians especially - will give it credit for.

The Oneironaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 04:20 PM
wej20

Crazy stuff, looks like Devils will be giving up a top 10 pick.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 04:27 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Oneironaut View Post
That is ridiculous. My favorite post combating your line of thinking (taken from another thread):

Kovalchuk certainly isn't leaving for the money- his biggest payday was ahead of him at over $11M per year, which is more than he'll be making in the KHL. This looks more and more and more like a homesick guy who is actually helping out his NHL team quite a bit.

He's going to his home country, going to one of the best cities in the world, and going to a league that's got a helluva lot more talent in it than North American fans - Canadians especially - will give it credit for.
Pavel Lysenkov says Kovalchuk will surely be the highest paid hockey player in the world with SKA, to the tune of, perhaps, $20 million per year.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...210237775.html

$20 million/y > $11 million/y

I'm in the camp that says Lou wanted this to happen. I don't think all that ill of a guy like Kovalchuk who makes out even better in a mutually agreed upon and beneficial divorce.

However, the suggestion that Kovalchuk is sacrificing anything or martyring himself is risible.

Edit: also, where's SKA, st petersberg? I was there just after college. You need like 15 locks on your door.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 04:27 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Oneironaut View Post

Umm, he will likely be making more in KHL due to taxes. I don't think he made the decision based on money, but he won't be leaving anything on the table to go home.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 04:36 PM
Sideline

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post
Pavel Lysenkov says Kovalchuk will surely be the highest paid hockey player in the world with SKA, to the tune of, perhaps, $20 million per year.

I'm in the camp that says Lou wanted this to happen. I don't think all that ill of a guy like Kovalchuk who makes out even better in a mutually agreed upon and beneficial divorce.

However, the suggestion that Kovalchuk is sacrificing anything or martyring himself is risible.

Edit: also, where's SKA, st petersberg? I was there just after college. You need like 15 locks on your door.
$20M after tax in Russia: $17.4M
$11M after tax in New Jersey: $6.05M

If I spoke Russian I'd really miss home, too!

Sideline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 04:42 PM
The Oneironaut
FIRE SHERO/BYLSMA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
Umm, he will likely be making more in KHL due to taxes. I don't think he made the decision based on money, but he won't be leaving anything on the table to go home.
I don't yet believe the $20M/yr. numbers. Right now, that's just conjecture. I could certainly be wrong, but I'll wait to see the numbers.

Regardless, though, my point stands. Kovalchuk isn't leaving because he's one of those awful Russians. He wanted to go home, home is a wonderful place, he's going to play for one of the most storied hockey franchises in the world, and it helps his NHL team out for him to go. So he's leaving.

The Oneironaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 04:45 PM
HuskerTornado
RIP UW AlwaysBelieve

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorstenFrings View Post
That has always a possibility though regardless of this.

I don't know, whether you are suggesting it should color our view on the situation, but it does not for me. Malkin obviously loves Russia. I have always said, that I considered the risk of him leaving for home far greater than the risk of him leaving for Toronto.
Didn't his family express interest in moving to Pittsburgh?

HuskerTornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 04:49 PM
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerTornado View Post
Didn't his family express interest in moving to Pittsburgh?
I don't know. Anything. Could well be. They do seem to enjoy Pittsburgh too.

Just saying, that in my mind, he did seem to have a period of homesickness and disorientation after the lockout, so I always though that Magnitogorks was a greater rival for his very obvious affection for Pittsburgh than any other NHL franchise.

Old
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

MOD NOTICE: I am deleting every stupid post I read that speculates on "the next player to leave" because they're Russian. Outside fans that come in here and say something about Malkin leaving from this point will be infracted for trolling, so don't do it.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BlindWillyMcHurt

Malkin loves Russia. Obviously. That might have something to do with him being Russian... I dunno. But he isn't anything like Kovalchuk. Far from it. If he wanted to leave for the "greener pastures" of the KHL... he would have already done so.

He gets to have his cake and eat it too. Play for a team he loves (and he does) all season, go back to Russia in the offseason. Play out a lucrative but not-too-long-term contract with the team he loves (and he does) and then re-assess when he's old enough to consider moving on but not so old to not continue playing. Yes... possibly for his hometown team. But we have nothing to worry about for the next 8 years. Just... stop it. "Fans" have been dusting this old chestnut off for years and it never, ever comes to fruition. Ever.

Not only is Malkin a completely different type of person. His situation is completely different, too. Hopefully this is the only time I'll have to type this out. But unfortunately I seriously doubt it.

BlindWillyMcHurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 04:51 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Well those "it must be his back injury / he won't play in the KHL" theories dried up in a New York minute. This guy is a piece of crap and it has nothing to do with being Russian per se. He's just selfish and always has been to some degree.

I hope he gets run bigtime in the Olympics. Someone should take a Match Penalty out of principle. No head-shots, but just ****ing hammer him. Gutless turd. It's unbelievable the degree to which he ****ed that team. He cost them multiple 1st round picks, cost them the chance to keep Parise, cost them the chance to have a better FA period this year, even cost them Clarkson arguably. And he leaves after 3 years... because 77M with US taxes is too much burden to bear. He needs 15-20M a year tax free or with a very low tax to be happy. Oh I'm sorry... it's all about family. Because his family could never live here or anything with the money he makes.

Old
07-11-2013, 04:56 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
well this doesn't refelct well on him...

Quote:
Mike Colligan ‏@MikeColligan 5m
Kovalchuk "tired of paying escrow", according to @TGfireandice, yet other players were forced to pay excess escrow bc of his deal structure
https://twitter.com/MikeColligan/sta...43733103259649

Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 05:02 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafton View Post
well this doesn't refelct well on him...

https://twitter.com/MikeColligan/sta...43733103259649
Yah he's not selfish...

What a c**t. Sorry but that's the perfect descriptor for this guy.

Old
07-11-2013, 05:05 PM
Frederick Stanley
Global Moderator
Lord Commander

Only positives for Kovy:

home country
native language
more money

Frederick Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 05:08 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick Stanley View Post
Only positives for Kovy:

home country
native language
more money
I wonder if any Jersey mobsters are hard-core Devils fans... personally I'd be a little nervous pulling a stunt like that knowing it might be pretty easy for some guy to have me wacked half way across the world.

Old
07-11-2013, 05:08 PM
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!

This is a real rock/hard place situation though. When Kovalchuk signed that stupid contract, there obviously was a wink wink nudge nudge agreement that he would retire in 2017 going on. Hell, even the NHL felt it was so ****ing obvious that they decided to penalized it, when they did not do this for the no doubt cap circumventing Keith or Hossa contracts.
Had he stuck to his word and played until 2017 and then retired the NJD would be even worse off. His two best choices were retire right now or play out the contract (best choices for NJ mainly, but probably for him from a competitive, not financial, angle).

Old
07-11-2013, 05:10 PM
vikingGoalie

i kinda get the whole go home to play thing.
but there are plenty of russian players who *DON'T* want to play in russia because quality of life is no where near as good.

The travel stinks in the KHL, crime is really bad, and there are a whole set of shenanigans you put up with over there that you don't here.

I wouldn't doubt if part of it isn't just the simple fact that Ilya didn't like it in NJ and there was no way he'd ever play for anyone else with that contract.

vikingGoalie is offline   Reply With Quote