HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs draft Mike McCarron with the 25th overall pick (signs ELC, will play in OHL)

Closed Thread

Old
07-11-2013, 01:59 PM
Ford Prefect

vCash: 500
Does anyone have any reports how McCarron did at the Draft Combine?

Old
07-11-2013, 02:08 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by StellerEller View Post
So he'll for sure play in the WJC's next year right?
Today's decision changes nothing for the WJC. His play at the USA summer camp in August and during the season will determine if they pick him or not.

Old
07-11-2013, 02:11 PM
StellerEller
Canada's Team

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Today's decision changes nothing for the WJC. His play at the USA summer camp in August and during the season will determine if they pick him or not.
I'm aware that he still needs to make team USA. I'm asking if he's likely to be picked

Old
07-11-2013, 02:12 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Do you think it's less likely that they chose him now that he'll play in the OHL?

Old
07-11-2013, 02:18 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YUHeffToBMad View Post
Do you think it's less likely that they chose him now that he'll play in the OHL?
I think so.

They'll never admit it though.

Old
07-11-2013, 03:09 PM
la25ecoupe

I heard they wanted to draft McCarron's brother last year but missed out.

Old
07-11-2013, 03:23 PM
StellerEller
Canada's Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by la25ecoupe View Post
Who did?

Old
07-11-2013, 03:27 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
How come they already signed him to his ELC? I understand that if he doesn't play X games, then he doesn't burn a year. But is their a possibility he plays for the habs, even if only a couple of games?

Old
07-11-2013, 03:27 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Who did?
Timmins.

Old
07-11-2013, 03:33 PM
Shutdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
How come they already signed him to his ELC? I understand that if he doesn't play X games, then he doesn't burn a year. But is their a possibility he plays for the habs, even if only a couple of games?
Because he gets his signing bonus and gets to play Junior this season. Next year he's open to the AHL because he wasn't drafted out of Junior but if he returns to the Knights then his contract slides another year but he probably still makes some money from signing bonuses, depending on how his contract is structured.

Old
07-11-2013, 03:37 PM
Gally11

Quote:
Originally Posted by la25ecoupe View Post
Yeah Timmins said it on interview with habs website

Old
07-11-2013, 03:39 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutdown View Post
Because he gets his signing bonus and gets to play Junior this season. Next year he's open to the AHL because he wasn't drafted out of Junior but if he returns to the Knights then his contract slides another year but he probably still makes some money from signing bonuses, depending on how his contract is structured.
Thanks for that. Cool that the habs are giving him a bit of spending money while he practically plays for free in London.

Old
07-11-2013, 03:39 PM
StellerEller
Canada's Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Timmins.
I found out on my own

Oilers did.

Old
07-11-2013, 04:02 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000

MY version of the de la Rose - Crisp - McCarron line... -

Old
07-11-2013, 04:24 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
I'm aware that he still needs to make team USA. I'm asking if he's likely to be picked
I would say that he's a lock to make it at some point, if not next wjc's then the following. From what I have read, I would think he stands a decent shot at making the wjc's next year but with lots of open roster spots he's going to need a good summer camp I would think plus a good start to the season and a good winter camp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YUHeffToBMad View Post
If he didn't play in the USNDTP, then I'd say yes it would have been less likely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
I could see him playing for the Habs in preseason action now that he's signed, which he wouldn't have been able to do if he went the NCAA route.

Old
07-11-2013, 04:52 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Somehow, can we say that when Timmins and Co say that it's totally up to the player....that it's actually not true? 'Cause McCarron went to Habs and give them the ultimatum that if you want me to go to London, sign me now....and they did. I mean, tough Bergevin who keeps giving his own medicine to every player out there as far as signings and all, seems to me that seeing him play in London was MUCH MORE important that they wanted us to believe.

Old
07-11-2013, 05:10 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Watching the vid of Timmins talking about the draft, seems that the Habs AGAIN got screwed by 1 pick in the 6th round 'cause seems that Timmins would have been picking McCarron...but had to go with Nystrom since the Oilers went with Big Mac's bro. We'll see how that plays out.

Old
07-11-2013, 05:12 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Somehow, can we say that when Timmins and Co say that it's totally up to the player....that it's actually not true? 'Cause McCarron went to Habs and give them the ultimatum that if you want me to go to London, sign me now....and they did. I mean, tough Bergevin who keeps giving his own medicine to every player out there as far as signings and all, seems to me that seeing him play in London was MUCH MORE important that they wanted us to believe.
I dont really think its as "grim" as that WS ..., i really dont.. even right after he was drafted mccarron spoke very highly of the OHL/knights and how he would like to fight and not get into any trouble like if he was in the NCAA..

theres NO WAY i believe mccarron DEMANDING a ELC so that he can go to london over believing the habs like him/trust in his potential enough to give him the contract that doesnt even kick in till he turns pro, to give him a confidence boost, that they believe in his abilities enough to welcome him into the organization officially

All Mccarron did was ASK the habs for advice, and all the habs did was each and every one of the staff probably said "honestly.. id go to london, because of so and so" , if anything timmins or somebody said NCAA isnt THAT bad, but you wouldnt be able to play in preseason games and whatnot, and then theres tinordi's opinion which he must of considered heavily

it wasnt really HARD to convince the kid, hey... london knights and the OHL is where its AT kid, you can finish your degree in whatever any time you want, but if your DREAM is the NHL and the best and most viable way TO that dream is going to the OHL with a great organization, its almost a no brainer, ..id even say did anyone REALLy think he would go to NCAA? deep down, we all knew he was going to london, there was no "ultimatum"

Old
07-11-2013, 05:25 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
I dont really think its as "grim" as that WS ..., i really dont.. even right after he was drafted mccarron spoke very highly of the OHL/knights and how he would like to fight and not get into any trouble like if he was in the NCAA..

theres NO WAY i believe mccarron DEMANDING a ELC so that he can go to london over believing the habs like him/trust in his potential enough to give him the contract that doesnt even kick in till he turns pro, to give him a confidence boost, that they believe in his abilities enough to welcome him into the organization officially

All Mccarron did was ASK the habs for advice, and all the habs did was each and every one of the staff probably said "honestly.. id go to london, because of so and so" , if anything timmins or somebody said NCAA isnt THAT bad, but you wouldnt be able to play in preseason games and whatnot, and then theres tinordi's opinion which he must of considered heavily

it wasnt really HARD to convince the kid, hey... london knights and the OHL is where its AT kid, you can finish your degree in whatever any time you want, but if your DREAM is the NHL and the best and most viable way TO that dream is going to the OHL with a great organization, its almost a no brainer, ..id even say did anyone REALLy think he would go to NCAA? deep down, we all knew he was going to london, there was no "ultimatum"

Lost in translation??? "I told the Habs that if they wanted me to go to London, they had to give me a contract first."

Quote:
«J’ai dit au Canadien que s’il voulait que j’accepte d’aller à London, il devait d’abord m’offrir un contrat», a confié le jeune homme de 18 ans asu cours d’un entretien téléphonique avec le Journal.
http://www.journaldemontreal.com/201...nonce-ce-matin

I understand what you are saying. Everything is true. We all think the same. Yet, seems that the ultimatum was indeed present. Frankly, I don't care. I mean, when there's a great prospect that you prefer to see him taking a certain route, you do end up giving him a little of what he wants. I'm just surprised, that's all.

Old
07-11-2013, 05:30 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
Lost in translation??? "I told the Habs that if they wanted me to go to London, they had to give me a contract first."

http://www.journaldemontreal.com/201...nonce-ce-matin

I understand what you are saying. Everything is true. We all think the same. Yet, seems that the ultimatum was indeed present. Frankly, I don't care. I mean, when there's a great prospect that you prefer to see him taking a certain route, you do end up giving him a little of what he wants. I'm just surprised, that's all.
Interesting.

Old
07-11-2013, 05:35 PM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post

MY version of the de la Rose - Crisp - McCarron line... -
Oh yeah, the Demolition line ! The answer to the late Legion of Doom line... was there even one like that since Leclair - Lindros - Renberg ? I remember when Habs played against the line of Leafs, Ponikarovsky - Sundin - Antropov, huge, huge line, but didn't inspire the same 'fear' Lindros line had.

Anyway, twould be fun

Old
07-11-2013, 05:38 PM
Peter Puck

I think there is a big advantage to offering your 1st round picks an ELC very soon after they are drafted. If they don't sign this first offer then you can wait and see if they bust. If they do you get a 2nd round pick as compensation. Of course, no one wants them to bust, but this is a possible insurance when picking a guy who is a long term project.

Old
07-11-2013, 05:44 PM
BigDaddyLurch
Deleted Posts Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasculio View Post
...I remember when Habs played against the line of Leafs, Ponikarovsky - Sundin - Antropov...
Ah, the Friendly Giant line; I remember it well...

Old
07-11-2013, 06:10 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Poor McCarron all the pressure that's gonna be put on him as the "only big guy" on the Habs roster.

The lives of everybody depends on you, big boy!

Old
07-11-2013, 06:10 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Quote:
Watching the vid of Timmins talking about the draft, seems that the Habs AGAIN got screwed by 1 pick in the 6th round 'cause seems that Timmins would have been picking McCarron...but had to go with Nystrom since the Oilers went with Big Mac's bro. We'll see how that plays out.
Not sure, all he said was his bro was on their draft list. He may have been on it after Nystrom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Puck View Post
I think there is a big advantage to offering your 1st round picks an ELC very soon after they are drafted. If they don't sign this first offer then you can wait and see if they bust. If they do you get a 2nd round pick as compensation. Of course, no one wants them to bust, but this is a possible insurance when picking a guy who is a long term project.
Huh...you only get the compensation 2nd if he doesn't sign an ELC.

More Mark Hunter quotes:

http://www.lfpress.com/2013/07/11/mi...chigan-broncos

Quote:
“I wanted McCarron but I missed on him,” Hunter said. “I was really upset, so upset that I missed him that I couldn’t sleep that night.”

“He’s a power forward with soft hands,” said Mark Hunter, “really soft hands for a big man.”

Closed Thread