HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade and Proposals Thread XXXVI: MacT, send more help!

Closed Thread

Old
07-11-2013, 06:07 PM
Asher

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post
If Yakupov starts getting home sick around 30 at least we got 12 years out of him.
Not many Oiler drafted players are still with the team at age 30. Sad fact.

Old
07-11-2013, 06:11 PM
Comrade Blunderbore
Генерал Файлюра

vCash: 50
most hockey players are simple guys who could care less about being great and proving something to somebody. they want a good home, a good car, a good relax after games. most don't even watch any hockey at home. i'm saying this because i do know many high profile Russian players.
when you are offered the money you can't even wrap your mind around, and you're going to play close to home for this money, you consider it. you not necessarily accept it, but you strongly consider it.

Old
07-11-2013, 06:12 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
Not many Oiler drafted players are still with the team at age 30. Sad fact.
Cause we gotta keep rebuilding. 30 is way too old.

Old
07-11-2013, 06:15 PM
skorf

Kovalchuk has always had that desire to play there. He's expressed it in the past.

Yakupov wants to play in the NHL, he left Russia to come and play junior hockey. He is going to be here awhile so trading him cause of what Kovie did would be down right dumb.

My two cents

Old
07-11-2013, 06:15 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blunderbore View Post
most hockey players are simple guys who could care less about being great and proving something to somebody. they want a good home, a good car, a good relax after games. most don't even watch any hockey at home. i'm saying this because i do know many high profile Russian players.
when you are offered the money you can't even wrap your mind around, and you're going to play close to home for this money, you consider it. you not necessarily accept it, but you strongly consider it.
I disagree. For many, winning the Stanley Cup is a dream growing up. Money is an afterthought.

Obviously though, for a player coming from overseas, playing away from home can be difficult.

Old
07-11-2013, 06:18 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Hemsky for Carter + 2nd isn't a bad bet. While I'd prefer Bernier, I think the lack of C depth on the Oilers needs to be filled first. I'd take Carter to be our 4th line C.

07-11-2013, 06:23 PM
belair

While reading into the Kovalchuk situation, I took a gander at the SKA St. Petersburg roster from last season...

Would it be a decent gamble to invite Patrick Thoresen to camp?

He was a decent bottom six option when he was in the NHL.

He's a guy who can play the wing or win draws at C.

And his stats in the KHL for the past 4 years have him at a PPG pace.

He could be a diamond in the rough third line centre.

Old
07-11-2013, 06:25 PM
MinnesotaFats

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
Last thing I'll post on the Devils re: Hemsky.

You're delusional if you think Lou Lamoriello is going to trade an asset to pay an injury prone 5.5 million player when Grabovski, Jagr, Brunner, and Boyes are all better bets to help that team and none of these guys will cost an asset or 5.5 million dollars.
Yup. Starting to look like those of us who were calling for Hemsky to be dealt two years ago were dead right. I've been saying for two years that his value is doing nothing but decreasing. He's pretty worthless at this point. MacT will likely have to take a pick or a bad contract back to dump him at this point.

Old
07-11-2013, 06:28 PM
MinnesotaFats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Hemsky for Carter + 2nd isn't a bad bet. While I'd prefer Bernier, I think the lack of C depth on the Oilers needs to be filled first. I'd take Carter to be our 4th line C.
Take the pick out or make it conditional and that might start a discussion, but I think MacT would still have take half his salary.

Maybe he should just call Nill up...

Old
07-11-2013, 06:30 PM
ToeDrag83
Down, Not Out

****, Yak's gonna retire.

What we should be focussing on is that NJ has a hole at RW and their forwards are sorely lacking any kind of offense.

Mact needs to get on the phone a shop Hemsky. There's some attainable pieces there for our unbelievably weak 3rd/4th lines. If NJ can get in front for the Jagr sweepstakes, that could still be a selling point from our perspective:

Jagr-Elias-Hemsky

I know Jagr plays right usually, but I'm positive he's played the left side at some point.

Anyways, if Hemmer has to go () there's now one more team that's a good target.

Old
07-11-2013, 06:30 PM
HeavyHitter99

Quote:
Originally Posted by belair View Post
While reading into the Kovalchuk situation, I took a gander at the SKA St. Petersburg roster from last season...

Low risk high reward. I like it.

Old
07-11-2013, 06:31 PM
Brewster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats View Post
No, all Russians are exactly the same.

Old
07-11-2013, 06:32 PM
Lindo

Bergenheim would be a solid return for Hemsky. I hope he's not on the roster on opening day. Pointless as a third line winger. (late to the Hemsky talk on Stauffer's show news)

Old
07-11-2013, 06:36 PM
Comrade Blunderbore
Генерал Файлюра

Quote:

Patrick Thoresen will laugh when you offer him reasonable money for a 3rd line C. why play in a bottom six role earning 1.5-2 mil after taxes at best, when you can be one of the biggest stars in the league, be a PPG player, earn 4+ mil? he is one guy that dropped his NHL dream, if he ever had one.

Anton Belov who just went the opposite way is a pretty uncommon personality for a hockey player, he is adventurous and very endeavoring. right now he has a plan to try and find out if NHL is a fun enough place to spend some time in. absolute majority of European players wouldn't even consider coming over at his age. i know Alex Khavanov who once made a similar jump; he's a special man. not too many special people among athletes.

Old
07-11-2013, 06:37 PM
HeavyHitter99

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiahjones View Post
Bergenheim would be a solid return for Hemsky. I hope he's not on the roster on opening day. Pointless as a third line winger. (late to the Hemsky talk on Stauffer's show news)
I agree bergenheim would be solid. I'm still hoping for a big third line winger though. But you're right Hemsky is pointless on the third line

Old
07-11-2013, 06:41 PM
40oz

Quote:

Old
07-11-2013, 06:56 PM
Soundwave

My guess is the NHL is going to have provisions in their next CBA that prevent against this type of Kovalchuk situation. Perhaps steep fines or penalties or withheld salary.

Old
07-11-2013, 06:58 PM
Comrade Blunderbore
Генерал Файлюра

what would you say about Nathan Horton? he just signed for a team that's pretty far from contending to lead a quiet life.
what about Andrew Ference who could sign a less lucrative deal to stay with the team that is a strong contender right now and will remain one, but chose to join his hometown team that may or may not become a contender in foreseeable future?
what about David Clarkson who signed an outlandish deal with a team that doesn't exactly look like a force, while he most probably knows that he'll not be able to live up to the deal and will be chased out of town by the press in 3-4 years, but he'll have cashed in dearly already at that point?
wait, those players aren't European or Russian, so they are comfortable enough in North America and they don't have to defect from the NHL to find comfort.
there are examples of this in spades all over the world. now it's the time when things point that such scenario is going to be more possible for Russian players. that's why i'd like the team i cheer for to explore its options so that it doesn't end up strangleheld if a certain Nail Yakupov is lured to play in his hometown for silly money in couple years. IF.

Old
07-11-2013, 06:59 PM
belair

Quote:
Patrick Thoresen will laugh when you offer him reasonable money for a 3rd line C. why play in a bottom six role earning 1.5-2 mil after taxes at best, when you can be one of the biggest stars in the league, be a PPG player, earn 4+ mil? he is one guy that dropped his NHL dream, if he ever had one.
That makes a lot of sense but apparently he hasn't exactly ruled out returning to North America...

http://beta.aftenposten.no/100Sport/...d#.Ud9Gp0FwdrO

Quote:
Thoresen has not given up on return to NHL
Patrick Thoresen (29) is the big star in the Russian KHL, but admits he would like to try the NHL again.

Old
07-11-2013, 07:02 PM
Comrade Blunderbore
Генерал Файлюра

Quote:
That makes a lot of sense but apparently he hasn't exactly ruled out returning to North America...

http://beta.aftenposten.no/100Sport/...d#.Ud9Gp0FwdrO
if a team offers him terms not unlike what he has in Russia, then sure. i'm pretty convinced that there won't be such team though.

Old
07-11-2013, 07:10 PM
belair

Quote:
if a team offers him terms not unlike what he has in Russia, then sure. i'm pretty convinced that there won't be such team though.
It's not just about money though, IMO.

Cervenka didn't make a fortune playing in Calgary last year. And although he had to sign an entry-level contract, I'd assume Thoresen would have to sign a 'show-me' contract prior to some team offering anything resembling what he makes in Russia.

I know it's easy to get blinded by all those zeroes, but a lot of kids dream about raising the Stanley Cup growing up. That's something the NHL will always have over the KHL.

Old
07-11-2013, 07:18 PM
Comrade Blunderbore
Генерал Файлюра

Quote:
It's not just about money though, IMO.

Cervenka didn't make a fortune playing in Calgary last year. And although he had to sign an entry-level contract, I'd assume Thoresen would have to sign a 'show-me' contract prior to some team offering anything resembling what he makes in Russia.

I know it's easy to get blinded by all those zeroes, but a lot of kids dream about raising the Stanley Cup growing up. That's something the NHL will always have over the KHL.
by terms i mean playing role as well.
Cervenka had a peek, maybe he liked what he saw, maybe not, but then came SKA waving zeroes and he said yes.
i honestly think it never goes down to this, or i at least hope so; but imagine that KHL continues its European expansion, that it gets to have a strong team in every relevant country, that the players are content and making an awful lot of money. could it be so that a young star might start weighing his options?

Old
07-11-2013, 07:19 PM
Hemsky4PM

Cervenka made a ridiculous amount of money last year by NHL standards. About 2M in a short season.

NJ is definitely a target now. I wonder if we could get Larsson for a big package with Hemsky as an "add-on"? Hemsky, 2014 1st, Lander and Musil? That's 2 first and 2 seconds - looking at history.

Realistically, I'd be ok with a depth forward and 3rd round pick.

Old
07-11-2013, 07:22 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
Cervenka made a ridiculous amount of money last year by NHL standards. About 2M in a short season.

NJ is definitely a target now. I wonder if we could get Larsson for a big package with Hemsky as an "add-on"? Hemsky, 2014 1st, Lander and Musil? That's 2 first and 2 seconds - looking at history.

Realistically, I'd be ok with a depth forward and 3rd round pick.
That's pretty brutal for the Devils.

If we did send them Hemsky it wouldn't be for anything worthwhile. Just like the Horcoff trade.

Old
07-11-2013, 07:23 PM
Soundwave

I think Hemsky would be a decent fit in New Jersey, but they'll probably end up signing Grabovski and Jagr instead.

Still some options out there for them.

Would anyone do Volchenkov for Hemsky?

Closed Thread