HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Trade and Proposals Thread XXXVI: MacT, send more help!

Closed Thread

Old
07-11-2013, 07:25 PM
40oz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blunderbore View Post
what would you say about Nathan Horton? he just signed for a team that's pretty far from contending to lead a quiet life.
what about Andrew Ference who could sign a less lucrative deal to stay with the team that is a strong contender right now and will remain one, but chose to join his hometown team that may or may not become a contender in foreseeable future?
what about David Clarkson who signed an outlandish deal with a team that doesn't exactly look like a force, while he most probably knows that he'll not be able to live up to the deal and will be chased out of town by the press in 3-4 years, but he'll have cashed in dearly already at that point?
wait, those players aren't European or Russian, so they are comfortable enough in North America and they don't have to defect from the NHL to find comfort.
there are examples of this in spades all over the world. now it's the time when things point that such scenario is going to be more possible for Russian players. that's why i'd like the team i cheer for to explore its options so that it doesn't end up strangleheld if a certain Nail Yakupov is lured to play in his hometown for silly money in couple years. IF.
No one's saying you shouldn't explore your options, hell you should do it with all your players all the time. But your reasoning is just illogical and based of assumptions.

Of course players leave good teams for more money elsewhere, couldn't they want to push themselves to contribute more than they could on their last team? Just because they sign with a team who's lost in recent history doesn't mean they've given up on winning.

I just think it's ridiculous to start worrying about Yakupov today if they weren't worried yesterday. He's his own person and all the risks associated with his nationality have been considered by him and the Oilers. If he decides to leave and play in the KHL down the road, thats fine. Kovalchuck gave 12 years of his life to the NHL and wants a change.
Kenny Jonsson was a fantastic dman, NHL All Star, who bailed to Sweden to play for his home town in his early 30's. Doesn't mean the Oilers should be hitting the panic button for Klefbom.

Old
07-11-2013, 07:26 PM
Comrade Blunderbore
Генерал Файлюра

vCash: 50
please no Volchenkov, poor guy's legs are toast. shame that, perhaps biggest heart among Russian players over last decade or so.

Old
07-11-2013, 07:27 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
gotta think Jagr is a lock for NJ now

Old
07-11-2013, 07:28 PM
oilinblood

Quote:
please no Volchenkov, poor guy's legs are toast. shame that, perhaps biggest heart among Russian players over last decade or so.
loved volchenkov ever since his rookie season. Damaged goods now though.

Old
07-11-2013, 07:28 PM
belair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I think Hemsky would be a decent fit in New Jersey, but they'll probably end up signing Grabovski and Jagr instead.

Still some options out there for them.

Would anyone do Volchenkov for Hemsky?
Volchenkov has 3 years left at $4m and the guy is done.

Hemsky is at least a skilled forward and offensive threat still.

If we're looking at a defenseman in NJ, it's Andy Greene.

Old
07-11-2013, 07:30 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by belair View Post

K, gotcha. I don't get a chance to watch the Devils much.

Old
07-11-2013, 07:30 PM
duul

Quote:
Originally Posted by belair View Post

Wonder how valuable Larsson is to them. I'd think about trading Ebs for him.

Old
07-11-2013, 07:32 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by duul View Post
Wonder how valuable Larsson is to them. I'd think about trading Ebs for him.
I'd honestly pass.

With Klefbom, Nurse, Marincin, Smid ... left D might be our most loaded position organizationally.

We actually need Eberle more as I don't see Hemsky here in the long run and he's injury prone even if he does stay.

Old
07-11-2013, 07:34 PM
Comrade Blunderbore
Генерал Файлюра

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
No one's saying you shouldn't explore your options, hell you should do it with all your players all the time. But your reasoning is just illogical and based of assumptions.
i didn't allow myself to believe that it all is possible; but there's no reason among people that control the money in Russian hockey these days, and today it became obvious. they are going to throw cash in the fire to maintain it. i will be expecting another player to follow the steps every day from now on. forgive my reaction please, it's a sad thing for me. it's tough to lose your illusions.

Old
07-11-2013, 07:36 PM
belair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I'd honestly pass.

With Klefbom, Nurse, Marincin, Smid ... left D might be our most loaded position organizationally.

We actually need Eberle more as I don't see Hemsky here in the long run and he's injury prone even if he does stay.
Larsson is a RHD.

He'd make a very solid pairing with Klefbom.

That said, Eberle would likely get it done but we'd be severely hindering our offense if Ebs is moved.

That is unless we pull a Gillis and keep Hemsky to cover the loss of Eberle.

Old
07-11-2013, 07:37 PM
oilinblood

i gave up on JBoychuk being available when the B's traded Seguin (rumored to acquire yandle), but i still hope we can get some needed top 4 RHD and a Centre once teams evaluate 10-15 games into the year. unfortunately MacT might waste our tradeable assets on more dime-a-dozen wingers by that time.

Old
07-11-2013, 07:39 PM
oilinblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
gotta think Jagr is a lock for NJ now
he is pretty good defensively now too. his buy -in mentality has gradually increased as his career starts to fade.

Old
07-11-2013, 07:46 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

In response to the concerns about Yak someday, maybe following in Kovalchuks footsteps and heading back to the KHL... I honestly wouldn't be worried about it.

I have nothing to go on but my gut feel and what I see when I watch Yakupov (on and off the ice)... he lives and breathes hockey and wants to be the very best he can be. He idolizes super skilled players like Bure who played on the biggest stage with the best players in the world... the NHL.

That's still the case as well, the NHL is the place to be if you want to play with the best and excel at the highest levels and push yourself to be the best you can become. Not all players have that drive and attitude but luckily for us and the Oilers I think Yakupov has that extreme burning desire to excel and become the best he can... and that goes far beyond playing just for money and/or fame.

That's not to say that someday just maybe he might head back overseas but I don't get the impression he's just in the NHL for the biggest paycheck... he wants to become a dominant world class player in the world and push his abilities to the limit and I think the NHL is still the only place you can truly do that.

My understanding also is that Yakupov comes from a fairly well to do family and imo it's probably less likely that Yakupov could/would be lured to the KHL by a huge money contract.

Anything is of course possible... so I'd never say never, but risks exist with any players... career ending injuries/sickness could happen to any player (as we've seen before), a player could demand a trade away from the team for any number of reasons (as we've seen before) or a player could just go into a terrible career ending regression and slump of epic proportions (has happened to some players in their primes)... so being able to say there is no risk with ANY certain player is a fantasy.

I actually have a strong belief that Yakupov will be with the Oilers for a long time to come and will become one of the very best players in the NHL. I'm no more worried about him departing than any of the other top players on the Oilers.

Old
07-11-2013, 07:49 PM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

The guy you want from the Devils on defense would be Urbom.

Old
07-11-2013, 07:58 PM
RXAGENT

Worrying about Yakupov right now is absolute unnecessary panic by oiler fans just because one Russian superstar quit the NHL. I don't feel it's right to generalize all Russian NHLers as having the same thought processes, values and mentalities.

Old
07-11-2013, 08:14 PM
MetaOil1993

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by devils4cup View Post
Can you give a scouting report on him? Is he ready for the NHL?

Old
07-11-2013, 08:22 PM
OilerFan4Life

Over/Under on the number of Yakupov trade proposals on HF Oilers over the next week because "oh my god he's gonna leave us": 35.

First one probably comes tomorrow.

People just need to relax. Kovalchuk has always been a little weird....im not too shocked.

Old
07-11-2013, 08:24 PM
nye

Quote:
i didn't allow myself to believe that it all is possible; but there's no reason among people that control the money in Russian hockey these days, and today it became obvious. they are going to throw cash in the fire to maintain it. i will be expecting another player to follow the steps every day from now on. forgive my reaction please, it's a sad thing for me. it's tough to lose your illusions.

I don't think this is a major concern. AIUI, the Devils had to cooperate to release Kovy to Russia. Something about them voiding instead of tolling his contract.

The difference is the Devils wanted out from any obligation to Kovy because of the dollars involved and the situation of their ownership. Not many other Russians will be in the same position. Most teams would keep the rights to players attempting such a defection, and then the IIHF would get involved.

Old
07-11-2013, 08:25 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by devils4cup View Post
A Fistric-Urbom pairing would be deadly.

Old
07-11-2013, 08:29 PM
Qrispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
Over/Under on the number of Yakupov trade proposals on HF Oilers over the next week because "oh my god he's gonna leave us": 35.

First one probably comes tomorrow.

People just need to relax. Kovalchuk has always been a little weird....im not too shocked.
lol this. The overreaction is hilarious.

Old
07-11-2013, 08:29 PM
Comrade Blunderbore
Генерал Файлюра

Quote:
Originally Posted by nye View Post
I don't think this is a major concern. AIUI, the Devils had to cooperate to release Kovy to Russia. Something about them voiding instead of tolling his contract.

The difference is the Devils wanted out from any obligation to Kovy because of the dollars involved and the situation of their ownership. Not many other Russians will be in the same position. Most teams would keep the rights to players attempting such a defection, and then the IIHF would get involved.
i'm pretty sure that an NHL player can go wherever he wants outside the league when he becomes an RFA. Yak is one in two years.

Old
07-11-2013, 08:31 PM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaOil1993 View Post
Can you give a scouting report on him? Is he ready for the NHL?
In a nutshell: He is a bigger younger possebly meaner version of Smid who can move the puck effectively. Skates well for his size.

Still raw because he's only 22. Listed as 6'5 / 215 lbs

He is ready for the NHL imo

Klefbom/Urbom pairing would be all sorts of swedish awesomeness

Old
07-11-2013, 08:37 PM
nye

Quote:
i'm pretty sure that an NHL player can go wherever he wants outside the league when he becomes an RFA. Yak is one in two years.

That's different, of course. An RFA is not under contract.

My reply was to your fear of 'another player to follow the steps every day from now on.'

That fear is real for you, no doubt, but it is not something that should be a concern.

Old
07-11-2013, 08:51 PM
Delicious Pancakes

Quote:
Just because one KHL team can afford to pay Kovalchuk and he decides to go back home at the age of 30 doesn't mean that there's going to be an exodus of top Russian players to the KHL. What's preventing guys from signing there when they're UFAs? If they wanted to be there they would.

So why don't they go back to Russia? The NHL for the most part has better facilities, better training and medical personnel, better travel, more consistency/professionalism, less corruption, and better competition. For many this is a preferred lifestyle. I doubt very many players are going to be swayed by Kovalchuk going over just because he's a top player. They'll make their decisions on an individual basis for what's best for them.

Old
07-11-2013, 09:16 PM
David71

with kovy gone from nj. maybe nows the time to trade hemsky? but what would the oilers want in return? defense?

Closed Thread