HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Miscellaneous NHL Talk Part VIII

Closed Thread

Old
07-11-2013, 06:35 PM
hXc Chris

vCash: 500
Dont feel sorry for NJD fans at all. I've seen so much "lol Philly signs another Center guess they dont need defense or goaltending" ******** for the last 2 weeks that all I can think now is:

Old
07-11-2013, 06:55 PM
GingerFetish

Send a message via Skype™ to GingerFetish
Devils to Seattle.

Old
07-11-2013, 07:03 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philadelphia Ducks View Post
But if they both void the contract, it is no longer existing, so how can they enforce the 35+ rule, unless they'd void EVERY part of that contract except for the 35+ part? Why didn't Luongo and Vancouver both just void his contract last season, when Luo said he would get rid of his contract if he could, I just think this is going to be a slippery slope if they start allowing this to happen.
In the same way that the recapture penalty still applies to the Devils for the next 12 years, the 35+ rule would still apply. The contract is voided simply meaning Kovalchuk shouldn't expect payment nor is he a member of the Devil's reserve roster, but in terms of CBA stipulations (ie, cap recapture or 35+ rule), certain cap penalties still remain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
The HF moralists on the main boards with their cries of "he can play wherever he wants" are annoying as hell. Of course Kovy can play wherever he wants, it's his life and his decision. But, devils fans have every right to be pissed off as well. Not only have most of them made an emotional commitment to team around Kovy, but a lot of them have made financial commitments to a team centered around Kovy through tickets, merchandise, etc. I would have a hard time not feeling the same way if faced with similar circumstances. That also doesn't take into account the large amount of financial and asset sacrifices that NJ made to keep Kovy there, all of which have now made the devils a worse team. To walk away with nothing to show for it is crazy to think about.
I guess I am one of those moralists, then. The fans have every right to be pissed, but angry fans tend to get pretty irrational in their arguments. For example, Devils fan just complained that Kovalchuk "signed a 15 year contractual obligation to New Jersey". I mean, seriously. Did ANY Devils fan expect him to play out the entirety of the contract? Obviously not.

Let's also remember a contract is a two-way street. If Kovalchuk didn't feel like the Devils lived up to their end of the bargain or what Lou promised him way back when he signed, he has every right to pack up and go home to play in front of family and friends for more money than he could get here.

Old
07-11-2013, 07:15 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by hXc Chris View Post
Dont feel sorry for NJD fans at all. I've seen so much "lol Philly signs another Center guess they dont need defense or goaltending" ******** for the last 2 weeks that all I can think now is:

Agree. I'm going to enjoy watching them suck.

Old
07-11-2013, 07:17 PM
hXc Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
Agree. I'm going to enjoy watching them suck.
Not only watching them suck but watching them have to forfeit a lottery pick in the next draft when they could have forfeited the 29th overall pick instead. Thats the icing for me.

Old
07-11-2013, 07:23 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philadelphia Ducks View Post
But if they both void the contract, it is no longer existing, so how can they enforce the 35+ rule, unless they'd void EVERY part of that contract except for the 35+ part? Why didn't Luongo and Vancouver both just void his contract last season, when Luo said he would get rid of his contract if he could, I just think this is going to be a slippery slope if they start allowing this to happen.
'voiding the contract' is kind of inexact as I understand it.

The contract still exists, they've just agreed that the provisions will not be enforcable.

Old
07-11-2013, 07:29 PM
flyersgal

Quote:
Not only watching them suck but watching them have to forfeit a lottery pick in the next draft when they could have forfeited the 29th overall pick instead. Thats the icing for me.
I think this is the worst part of the scenario. Sure, Kovy kind of did the Devils a favor by retiring early in the contract (the recapture penalty is not so bad because of it), but they lose a pick that would have helped the team rebuild. What the hell was Lou thinking not forfeiting the 29th pick?

Old
07-11-2013, 07:30 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
I guess I am one of those moralists, then. The fans have every right to be pissed, but angry fans tend to get pretty irrational in their arguments. For example, Devils fan just complained that Kovalchuk "signed a 15 year contractual obligation to New Jersey". I mean, seriously. Did ANY Devils fan expect him to play out the entirety of the contract? Obviously not.
I don't think they should have expected him to finish out that full 15 years but I don't think it's unreasonable for them to expect their best player to not quit on them a few years into the contract.

Old
07-11-2013, 07:33 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I don't think they should have expected him to finish out that full 15 years but I don't think it's unreasonable for them to expect their best player to not quit on them a few years into it.
I agree with that, but like I said, it's a two-way street. Maybe the Devils have some soul searching to do. Players don't appear to like playing there that much (aside from the guys who were part of the glory days, I guess).

Old
07-11-2013, 07:39 PM
flyershockey

vCash: 50
Quote:

Let's also remember a contract is a two-way street. If Kovalchuk didn't feel like the Devils lived up to their end of the bargain or what Lou promised him way back when he signed, he has every right to pack up and go home to play in front of family and friends for more money than he could get here.
How are NHl contracts a two way street when they're guaranteed? If anything, the players hold a clear advantage in that regard.

Old
07-11-2013, 07:42 PM
flyersfan018

Quote:
I forgot about that. And that forfeiture is because of Kovy's contract too!

Old
07-11-2013, 07:43 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
I agree with that, but like I said, it's a two-way street. Maybe the Devils have some soul searching to do. Players don't appear to like playing there that much (aside from the guys who were part of the glory days, I guess).
Well maybe but I'm only going what is out there. Everything out there suggests that this all on Ilya. I mean he was very vocal about how he didn't like the new CBA after the lockout ended.

Old
07-11-2013, 08:02 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
How are NHl contracts a two way street when they're guaranteed? If anything, the players hold a clear advantage in that regard.
I'm not speaking monetarily. When you commit 15 years of your life to an organization, you expect certain expectations to be upheld. I'm just saying that it's possible that the Devils never satisfied Kovalchuk the way they may have promised they would when they whined and dined him in UFA a couple years ago.

I mean, take the Flyers. Richards and Carter would have never left willingly. Giroux isn't going to leave willingly. Not many teams let talent like Parise and Kovalchuk ever get away. How is it that the Devils have so much trouble?

I may be way off, but I see smoke. Maybe there's no fire.

Old
07-11-2013, 08:05 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
I'm not speaking monetarily. When you commit 15 years of your life to an organization, you expect certain expectations to be upheld. I'm just saying that it's possible that the Devils never satisfied Kovalchuk the way they may have promised they would when they whined and dined him in UFA a couple years ago.

I mean, take the Flyers. Richards and Carter would have never left willingly. Giroux isn't going to leave willingly. Not many teams let talent like Parise and Kovalchuk ever get away. How is it that the Devils have so much trouble?

Well they don't have a checkbook like Snider & Comcast for starters, financially their franchise is in disarray.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 07-11-2013 at 08:13 PM.
Old
07-11-2013, 08:06 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Reportedly, 230 million dollars of disarray.

07-11-2013, 08:07 PM
flyershockey

Quote:

They were in the finals thirteen months ago. What else could he really want? I don't doubt that Newark is one of the least desirable markets in the NHL, but I don't think that is what this is all about. I think Kovy was drawn to the money and the lifestyle back in Russia. I don't hate him for doing it, but I completely understand why Devils fans feel cheated.

Old
07-11-2013, 08:08 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Well they don't have a checkbook like Snider for starters, finically their franchise is in disarray.
But money wasn't the problem for either Parise or Kovalchuk.

Old
07-11-2013, 08:08 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Well with this move it proves that Russian factor isn't some myth or exaggeration. Hell he might have strengthen it. I feel bad for the young Russian players coming up though the ranks who have NHL aspirations. These guys are going to have to leave home at an early age if they want to be taking under consideration by an NHL franchise.

Old
07-11-2013, 08:11 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
But money wasn't the problem for either Parise or Kovalchuk.
They couldn't afford both Parise & Kovalchuk.

Old
07-11-2013, 08:24 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
They couldn't afford both Parise & Kovalchuk.
Yes, they could have.

Quote:
"Yes, our offer was competitive. We did not, at any time, have a phone call that we needed to change it or that it had to go up. It was competitive," the GM said. "There was never a talk about money after our initial meeting in Toronto, where we made our offer. The response was the money we offered would not be the issue."
From Lamoriello. Money wasn't the issue; Parise just wanted out.

Old
07-11-2013, 08:26 PM
StevensCakeBakerBacker

Quote:

The Devils agreed to pay him the contract amount, and to pay that money out on agreed upon terms; they owe him nothing else. Seriously, what else do you think he is owed on top of a guaranteed $100,000,000 contract?

If NHL contracts weren't guaranteed than I wouldn't have a problem with Kovy doing what he just did. A player signing a deal like Kovy assumes zero risk, the team takes it all.

Old
07-11-2013, 08:39 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevensCakeBakerBacker View Post
The Devils agreed to pay him the contract amount, and to pay that money out on agreed upon terms; they owe him nothing else. Seriously, what else do you think he is owed on top of a guaranteed $100,000,000 contract?

If NHL contracts weren't guaranteed than I wouldn't have a problem with Kovy doing what he just did. A player signing a deal like Kovy assumes zero risk, the team takes it all.
Again, it's more than just money. When a player signs a contract, he's not only signing away his hockey talent to the team. He's also agreeing to maintain a certain professional standard and live up to the team's expectation of him as a professional.

Similarly, there are expectations for the organization to live up to that go beyond the money owed to the player, also. Maybe they just aren't happy with the show Lou is running.

Again, I'm just speculating. I'm not even saying I believe it. It's just odd that two of the premier talents in the league chose to leave.

Old
07-11-2013, 09:12 PM
Bryz4shiz

Anyone else think the Devils new he was going to do this all along? If he waited another year the cap penalty would have been $1.7 million and it would just continue to get worse

Old
07-11-2013, 09:16 PM
The Couturier Effect

Quote:
Again, it's more than just money. When a player signs a contract, he's not only signing away his hockey talent to the team. He's also agreeing to maintain a certain professional standard and live up to the team's expectation of him as a professional.

Similarly, there are expectations for the organization to live up to that go beyond the money owed to the player, also. Maybe they just aren't happy with the show Lou is running.

Again, I'm just speculating. I'm not even saying I believe it. It's just odd that two of the premier talents in the league chose to leave.
What Kovy did was wrong but it doesn't fall under that. A player can retire whenever he wants, even if he has 12 years left on his contract.

Old
07-11-2013, 09:18 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Yes, they could have.

From Lamoriello. Money wasn't the issue; Parise just wanted out.
When you're $200M+ in debt it's a potential problem. I don't expect Lou to admit that but it is what it is.

Closed Thread