HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Part IX: Free Agency Signing Period Discussion and Rumors

Old
07-11-2013, 01:42 PM
Hiesenberg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
I just realized that under that lineup, we have 1 forward that isn't Canadian haha.
Then under D you have 2 Swedes, a Fin, A Swiss, no Americans

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 01:43 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackWithaVengeance View Post
Nope, 2.

Coots is from the States
Hall is an American as well from Kalamazoo, Michigan.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 01:44 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Well if Jeremy Jacobs is correct, the cap will be near 70 million(or very close) next year. A lot of teams seem to be spending this offseason under that assumption(Pittsburgh)

Next year we have a shade under 13 million in cap space, but with the cap rising to 70 million, that would give us around 19 million. Also Pronger on LTIR to begin the season or soon after will provide us another 5. We probably have around 22-23 million to spend next offseason. Read/Schenn/Couts need to be resigned though. I actually see a big trade coming either this season(unlikely) or next off season. They will try desperately to get that puck moving defender, who fits in with our age group.

Schenn I will estimate(if he doesn't have a huge break out year) comes in around 3.75 for 2 years
Couts will be 2.5-3
Read-4 million or right around there.

That still leaves us around 10 million to make our team better.

I don't think Mason or Emery will kill us in salary if they both want to remain here. BUttttttttt Lundy is a FA next year!
Thanks to all for your thoughtful responses. Let me toss out some numbers:
• Schenn $4 million over next 2 years, after a great 2013-14 season
• Couturier $2.75 million over 2 years (ie, halfway on your projection, Prongo)

That puts the cap space at $5.9 million and change at the current ceiling ($64.3 million). I don't know how optimistic I am for a jump up to $70 million, so let's say a cap of $68 million for 2014-15. Now, the cap space is $9.6 million.

• I like Psuhockey's estimate of $5 million for the goalie tandem next season. This covers the odds of one of Emery/Mason having a very good season and the other being okay, but still wanting a raise from current salary, or reaching out for a costlier FA goaltender. I'd think the cheapeast Holmgren could be on filling in both G positions would be $4 million (ie, $3 mil for the starter and $1 mil for the back-up).
• Gustafsson will need a new contract. Staying on the optimistic, he continues his success from last season and is logging second-pairing minutes. He's still an RFA, so let's give him $1.8 million, for argument's sake.
CAP SPACE = $2.8 million

Needs are 2 forwards (1 depth at around league minumum) a defenseman and possibly some dough for Bourdon. I know there is Pronger's LTIR money with which to play around, but I'm not crazy about dipping into that well – and all that entails – unless necessary.

In the above scenario, there is no obvious replacement for Timonen and Read has either been dealt for some return or left to FA. I'd sure like to see more breathing room so Holmgren has some flexibility moving into the next few seasons.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 01:47 PM
BackWithaVengeance

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Damn, you're right.

BackWithaVengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 01:56 PM
Curufinwe

Could Couturier play for the US national team if he wanted to? Maybe at the 2018 Olympics.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 02:08 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Could Couturier play for the US national team if he wanted to? Maybe at the 2018 Olympics.
I believe he would have to drop his Canadian passport & live in the US for a certain amount of years while not playing any international games before he could switch.

Couturier identifies himself as a Canadian though so it wouldn't happen. He was only born the US because his dad played pro hockey in the states. He spent more years in Canada than the US during his youth.

Old
07-11-2013, 02:18 PM
Curufinwe

I see. I think his chances of making the Canadian team are pretty slim, so I wondered if he might be tempted to declare for the US for a chance to go to the Olympics.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 02:25 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
I see. I think his chances of making the Canadian team are pretty slim, so I wondered if he might be tempted to declare for the US for a chance to go to the Olympics.
Well he did play for the Canadian Team in the 2011 WJC's. He was living in Canada for some time prior to that so I don't playing for the US was even an option then even though he was a US citizen as well.

The IIHF has some whacky rules. Galchenyuk almost didn't qualify for the US despite being born here & a US citizen for this past years WJC's.

Old
07-11-2013, 02:28 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Thanks to all for your thoughtful responses. Let me toss out some numbers:
• Schenn $4 million over next 2 years, after a great 2013-14 season
• Couturier $2.75 million over 2 years (ie, halfway on your projection, Prongo)

That puts the cap space at $5.9 million and change at the current ceiling ($64.3 million). I don't know how optimistic I am for a jump up to $70 million, so let's say a cap of $68 million for 2014-15. Now, the cap space is $9.6 million.

• I like Psuhockey's estimate of $5 million for the goalie tandem next season. This covers the odds of one of Emery/Mason having a very good season and the other being okay, but still wanting a raise from current salary, or reaching out for a costlier FA goaltender. I'd think the cheapeast Holmgren could be on filling in both G positions would be $4 million (ie, $3 mil for the starter and $1 mil for the back-up).
• Gustafsson will need a new contract. Staying on the optimistic, he continues his success from last season and is logging second-pairing minutes. He's still an RFA, so let's give him $1.8 million, for argument's sake.
CAP SPACE = $2.8 million

Needs are 2 forwards (1 depth at around league minumum) a defenseman and possibly some dough for Bourdon. I know there is Pronger's LTIR money with which to play around, but I'm not crazy about dipping into that well – and all that entails – unless necessary.

In the above scenario, there is no obvious replacement for Timonen and Read has either been dealt for some return or left to FA. I'd sure like to see more breathing room so Holmgren has some flexibility moving into the next few seasons.
I posted this before but with your salary cap figures it is even more pertanent: the two most important players in the Flyers system right now are Gustafsson and Alt. if Gustafsson continues his strong play at the end of last year and the world championships, he will be a top 4 defenseman. He won't be as good as Timmonen but he won't have to either as Streit can take over the offensive aspects of Kimmo's game and Gus can cover the rest. That means all the Flyers need is a young dman to pair with Grossman on the bottom pair. That's where Alt comes in. It really can be any of the defensemen on the Phantoms that step up, but I believe Alt has the most overall talent. If he has more talent then that of a bottom pair guy, Alt won't need more than a year in the AHL. Reads a goner, going to be replaced by Cousins, Raffl, McGinn, or Straka, and Bourbon's career is probably over. If Gus and Alt, or another phantoms defender, fails to improve, some of that expensive foreard talent will have to be moved next summer.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 02:48 PM
King Forsberg
16 21 28 44 68 88 93

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
I just realized that under that lineup, we have 1 forward that isn't Canadian haha.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
Then under D you have 2 Swedes, a Fin, A Swiss, no Americans
It reminds me of our 2012 defense post trade deadline. We had d men from six different cointries

Timonen (Finland) - Carle (America)
Grossmann (Sweden) - Coburn (Canada)
Kubina (Czech Republic) - Meszaros (Slovakia)

Quote:
I thought the rule was that once a player declares a country and plays for them at the U-20 World Juniors then that's the country they have to play for internationally.

King Forsberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 03:56 PM
orange is better
Mayor of Seeyasville

Quote:
Oh damn, I forgot hall was American.

Also, I don't count couts as American because he moved to Canada when he was very young, grew up there and played for Canada internationally.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 04:25 PM
BackWithaVengeance

Hmmm, now the Devils got Kovalchuk'ed i guess they will throw some money to Jagr and Iginla for lucrative one-year-deals?

Old
07-11-2013, 04:31 PM
kudymen
Sophomore human

Quote:
Hmmm, now the Devils got Kovalchuk'ed i guess they will throw some money to Jagr and Iginla for lucrative one-year-deals?
I doubt they could do that with Iginla

kudymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 04:33 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 880
Quote:
Iggy already signed in Boston. Wouldn't be surprised if they signed Brunner to a truckload

Quote:
Nope, already declared for Canada. Can't change once you declare as an amateur.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 04:37 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Nope, already declared for Canada. Can't change once you declare as an amateur.
That's not true. Hnat Domenichelli played for Canada in the 1996 WJC's and then played for the Swiss in the 2010 Olympics.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hnat_Domenichelli

Old
07-11-2013, 04:58 PM
BackWithaVengeance

Quote:
Iggy already signed in Boston. Wouldn't be surprised if they signed Brunner to a truckload
Oh yeah, missed it.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 07-11-2013 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Fixed quote feature
Old
07-11-2013, 05:03 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
That's not true. Hnat Domenichelli played for Canada in the 1996 WJC's and then played for the Swiss in the 2010 Olympics.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hnat_Domenichelli
Maybe things changed, but I learned in college that when you pick a country to play for as an amateur, you play for them your entire career. This class was in 2009. I'll look into it.

Old
07-11-2013, 05:13 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Maybe things changed, but I learned in college that when you pick a country to play for as an amateur, you play for them your entire career. This class was in 2009. I'll look into it.
Here's the IIHF international eligibility rules for changing which nation you participate for:

Quote:
Change of national eligibility (The ‘four-year’ case)
A player, who has previously participated in IIHF competition, can switch national eligibility (but only once in a player's life) if:

He is a citizen of the new country of his choice
He has participated for at least four consecutive years in the national competitions of his new country, during which period he has neither transferred to another country nor played ice hockey within any other country and has not played for his previous country in an IIHF competition during this four year period.
He has an international transfer card (ITC) that shows the transfer to the national association of his new country and which was approved and dated at least four years before the start of the IIHF competition in which he wishes to participate.

07-11-2013, 05:14 PM
GirouxGiroux
Visioneer

EDIT: beaten by a minute

GirouxGiroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 05:17 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Here's the IIHF international eligibility rules for changing which nation you participate for:
Thanks

Old
07-11-2013, 08:35 PM
Striiker
I hate zebras

So apperantly Raffl is likely to make the team?

Striiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 08:43 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
So apperantly Raffl is likely to make the team?
Where have you seen this?

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:00 PM
GingerFetish

I'd much rather have Straka move into Reads current position and move Read back up with Claude and Jake. 2 pure goal scorers with Claude is a no brainer. Hartnell isnt a pure goal scorer.

GingerFetish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:39 PM
Striiker
I hate zebras

Anthony SanFilippo tweeted that a while ago, I don't know how reliable he is (probably not very), but he said he thinks Raffl will make the team and that he's being compared to Brunner.

I wasn't saying I believe that, just that it was being said by someone.

Striiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:49 PM
Tripod

So what cap hit do you see Couts and Schenn getting next year. That is a spot that Homer must squeeze if you ask me. Both are getting around 1 million in ACTUAL SALARY. Follow the lead of the Backlund and Alzner(d-man I know) have a bridge 2-3 year deal. Push for the 3 because that year(4 years from now), Pronger and Streit $ is available. In 3 years, we have Jake, L.Schenn, Coburn, Grossman, Talbot as all UFA...assuming they are still here. Realistically, I see 2 year deals. And in those 2 years is when we need to push for a cup win IMO. That is when we hopefully have those 2 GREATLY outplaying their cap hits.

We still need to find a young PMD with 1st line upside...target Bogo!

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote