HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Devils Ilya Kovalchuk Announces Retirement

Old
07-11-2013, 09:31 PM
SA16
Two by two...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Special View Post
huh?
What do you mean? Football players, especially running backs, retire significantly earlier than hockey players on average. 29 isn't all that young to be retiring. It's probably well above average for a running back though obviously given who Jim Brown is and that he was still good his last year you'd have expected him to hang on a bit longer.

SA16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:32 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinchanyo View Post
Jim Brown in the NFL retiring at 29 in a completely different time period is too different from Kovie in today's NHL with the KHL beckoning
Did Jim Brown have 11 years left on his contract?

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:34 PM
shinchanyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
Yeah, he went on to make movies instead - 42 since he retired. Made more money in movies than he did at football. So, it's OK to leave your team to go make bigger money in movies but not OK to move to another country and make big money playing the same sport?
I don't even think that's the issue. The fact is if he decided to retire it's his business. If he wants to not be able to play in the NHL anymore that's his business. The circumstances and KHL availability shouldn't even matter. If he wants to retire it's his choice imo

shinchanyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:37 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

The KHL is an easier league, and he can make more/less taxed money.

If that was on his mind a few years ago, he suckered Lou pretty good.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:39 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Jim Brown left the NFL at the very peak of his career. It was a total shock to everyone in sports.

07-11-2013, 09:40 PM
Baby Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
Yeah, he went on to make movies instead - 42 since he retired. Made more money in movies than he did at football. So, it's OK to leave your team to go make bigger money in movies but not OK to move to another country and make big money playing the same sport?
Well considering the average NFL career is somthing like 4 1/2 years one might surmize that Jim Brown played much longer than he should have.

I don't think you can compare the two sports, or the two eras.

Baby Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:45 PM
JR#9*

Not going to lie, seeing Devil fans crushed yet again, especially after acting like they acquired Gretzky and Roy so far this offseason, has me smiling all day.

Especially when they once again build up their guys to to sainthood only to turn and kill them after each one of these guys gives the big F-U to the team once they get a chance to bolt.

I'm absolutely loving reading there board...blows away Zach bolting on them...

JR#9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:49 PM
Baby Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Special View Post
Jim Brown left the NFL at the very peak of his career. It was a total shock to everyone in sports.
I don't know the exact circumstances behind Brown's retirement. But i'm sure part of it had to do with a risk & reward situation. When he was playing there was no free agency, there where nu huge multi million multi year contracts.

If u wanna use football as an example, Brown isn't the best person to compare the Kovy situation to. Diffrent era's. I think a better example of someone retiring in the prime of their career is Barry Sanders. He left at the top of his game & left millions on the table.

Baby Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:51 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
You are assuming that my criticism of people for holding sports stars in waaaay too high a regard is the same as me defending kovalchuk. They are utterly separate things. I am criticizing people and society for valuing athletes and a game way too much I am not defending Kovalchuk. I said it to you before the fact that you think he NEEDS to be defended shows how screwy your views and perspective on this are.
No, I'm not assuming anything. In this thread you have been quoting people who have been criticizing Kovalchuk and trying to refute their opinions of him and deflecting criticism away from the player and instead directing it to the Devils organization.

Quote:
Doesn't he have to piss away millions upon millions of guaranteed NHL money though? Obviously he'll get plenty in the KHL. Regardless weigh the options "Be home and happy." Don't they play less games too? or "Stay in a foreign land and be unhappy but stay for the fans." I lol at any1 who demands somebody choose option 2.If Hank left I'd be pissed at my own horrible luckl for liking a team that sucks ass and couldn't keep a generational goalie but he's a human being and should do whatever the hell he wants.
Quote:
Why? We'll all be dead eventually. You're offered 100+ million. Do you say naw no thanks I may want to void my contract later on or do you say OK! An offer like that? Forget about it I sign on the line and I worry about voiding it later if I really feel I want to. It's the teams fault for offering him the deal. period
If you didn't care about what other fans thought of Kovalchuk, you would not have bothered responding to those posts criticizing him, now would you? I'll ask you again, why do you care if people criticize Kovalchuk for his actions?

Oh, and if you want to rant about people 'idolizing' sports figures - you're in the wrong thread. This thread is dedicated to discussion about Kovalchuck and his retirement.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:53 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Lolz, if someone wants real entertainment, I suggest reading Jeremy Roenick's twitter.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:56 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA#11 View Post
Not going to lie, seeing Devil fans crushed yet again, especially after acting like they acquired Gretzky and Roy so far this offseason, has me smiling all day.

Especially when they once again build up their guys to to sainthood only to turn and kill them after each one of these guys gives the big F-U to the team once they get a chance to bolt.

I'm absolutely loving reading there board...blows away Zach bolting on them...
At least some of them are happy they get their 1st round pick back. lol

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:59 PM
MrEctions
Willy Nilly

Roenick is killing it. Im still smiling from hearing this today. Get Steps done soon and it will be a great week. I am going to be very pissed off if they weasel their first rounder back somehow, but I cant see it happening.

MrEctions is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:59 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
The KHL is an easier league, and he can make more/less taxed money.

If that was on his mind a few years ago, he suckered Lou pretty good.
Don't think it was at all. He played in Russia during lock-out and openly stated if he didn't like the CBA, he might not come back. He was forced to come back and likely was miserable. Realized he would rather play in Russia.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:02 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Greg Sinclair ‏@theninjagreg 5h
@SkinnyPPPhish @Jeremy_Roenick with a broken back he lead the playoffs in scoring

Jeremy Roenick ‏@Jeremy_Roenick 5h
@theninjagreg hey Greg move to Russia and watch him. We don't need u here either

----------

Anthony Lucchese ‏@luchador41 5h
He leaves 77 Mil on the table yet he's labeled selfish by @Jeremy_Roenick. Keep playing with your ***** Roenick #FamilyDecision #Kovalchuk

Jeremy Roenick ‏@Jeremy_Roenick 4h
@luchador41 keep dating ur mom Nice picture

Jim ‏@Invalid819 4h
@Jeremy_Roenick @luchador41 ur a real ******* jeremy i lost respect for u

@Invalid819 good I don't need it

-------------

Alec Rowe ‏@alecrowe 6h
I hate @Jeremy_Roenick but he's right about kovalchuk...complete ass for retiring and does not care about the NHL

Ben Kelly ‏@benhkelly 4h
@alecrowe @Jeremy_Roenick he is leaving 77 mil behind to be with his family in Russia. **** the NHL, he knows what's important.

@benhkelly I pray ur from Russia and not North America. Cause u would be an embarrassment to our continent

---------

Sean O'Neill ‏@Sean__ONeill 5h
Did @Jeremy_Roenick forget about the $4.9 million he stole from Phil Anschutz and apologize to Kings fans when he was doing cameos on soaps?

@Sean__ONeill did I retire no. I just sucked

-----

Patryk Bergström ‏@b_patryk 5h
@Jeremy_Roenick I agree, but we live with this every year in Europe with players leaving for the NHL.

Jeremy Roenick ‏@Jeremy_Roenick 5h
@b_patryk because the NHL is the best league in the world u donkey!!! Seriously??? I'm I in the twilight zone right now?

Oh my god, dying!

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:10 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
PGTs are often the same way. Lineup threads are the same way. Prospect threads are the same way. Trade threads are the same way during the season.

I don't know about other boards, but this one is mostly populated by New Yorkers (including me) and we are nothing if not opinionated and combative.
What do you mean I'm opinionated and combative--you don't even know me. (oops, guess I am a New Yorker).

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:13 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Roenick...what a legend. Hilarious.

07-11-2013, 10:15 PM
RegalRangers

vCash: 783
Just imagine if Kovy was on the NHL 14 cover instead of Marty.

RegalRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:16 PM
ecemleafs

i dont understand the "hes leaving so much money on the table!!" excuse for kovy. hes gonna make more money in the next 5-10 years playing for st pete than he was owed in the devils contract.

ecemleafs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:17 PM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
At least some of them are happy they get their 1st round pick back. lol
They aren't getting that pick back...that is why its going to be so great watching the meltdown as they slip further and further down the standing the wailing from Devil fans about losing a likely top 5 pick will be golden!

JR#9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:18 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
i dont understand the "hes leaving so much money on the table!!" excuse for kovy. hes gonna make more money in the next 5-10 years playing for st pete than he was owed in the devils contract.
taxes. there was a graphic somewhere that the player salary gets significantly reduced playing in big market like Vancouver, Montreal, Tri-state area teams, etc.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:21 PM
bleedblue94

someone get me caught up, why is be retiring? has it surfaced? is there a medical problem in his family or something? even if he retires and moves to russia he can not play in the khl correct bc he has an nhl contract??? or is this the situation where all that gets tested???

bleedblue94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:21 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
taxes. there was a graphic somewhere that the player salary gets significantly reduced playing in big market like Vancouver, Montreal, Tri-state area teams, etc.
it wudnt surprise me if kovy actually ended up making double in actual money playing in the khl and all that comes with being a big star there.

ecemleafs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:23 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
it wudnt surprise me if kovy actually ended up making double in actual money playing in the khl and all that comes with being a big star there.
same here. good for him getting paid, technically not against rules but it's definitely slimy of him to do this.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:25 PM
Chief

Quote:
I don't even think that's the issue. The fact is if he decided to retire it's his business. If he wants to not be able to play in the NHL anymore that's his business. The circumstances and KHL availability shouldn't even matter. If he wants to retire it's his choice imo
I'm with you. But too many people focussing on the word "retired". I think he's made it pretty clear he's not moving to Russia to sit in a rocking chair for the rest of his life. "Retiring" is simply the step that needed to be taken to allow him to leave the NHL.

And if he left because he was going to lose 14% to escrow, I can't blame him. To me it's ridiculous that the best league in the world can't pay the best for top talent. But that's a whole other discussion.

Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:30 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

It's about money and then it's family/home or whatever, in my opinion. Yes, I don't know his heart or true intentions, but we saw the greed with the mega contract he wanted a few years ago. I understand he can do what he wants and people's desires change. So he never wanted to go back to Russia until now? He screwed the Devils big time. I do love it. But it's sorta messed up. They lost Parise because of him. They gave him what he wanted - money. Again, he can do what he wants...

Would he be doing this if he was going to make less in Russia than what he's making now in Jersey? I don't think so.

Despite the money, I do think he'll come back to the NHL in a couple years.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote