HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What is the consensus on Coburn here if he is not traded?

Old
07-05-2013, 05:50 PM
Jtown

vCash: 500
If he gets us Bealieau that is a risk i might take.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 05:51 PM
Flyers2point0

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPhilly View Post
Coburn's inconsistency is maddening. With his skillset he should be a great #2 at least, if not a #1 d-man, but he isn't. If a good trade for Coburn came along I hope the Flyers pull the trigger.
I agree with this. I want him to get traded but only for the right price, and if we're able to get a good replacement (in return or elsewhere). He's so frustrating to watch and I don't think he's going to reach his full potential here.

Flyers2point0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 05:57 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

I wish we could see angry Coburn more often

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 07:34 PM
Appleyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
I wish we could see angry Coburn more often
We should employ someone to sit on the bench and continually poke him in the side of the face, follow him home and scratch his car door, drain his pond while he is out, dump collected leaves on his lawn and in his pond and swimming pool, take the laces out of his skates at practice, tailgate him all the way to the arena, push in front of him in every queue he ever joins, dispose of one sock in every pair he has... then cut holes in the remaining odd ones, put slugs in all his shoes, put deep heat in his moisturiser, make sure his cheese steak never has steak, continually take one cobble up from his drive... a different one every time, park in his space at the rink every day, put all his clothes in the shower each practice, apart from his boxers, they have a go on the skate sharpening machine before being pushed around by the zamboni, build a speedbump right outside his gate, clog his sprinkler heads in his garden, take the seat of his bike and tangle the chain, fill his newly ran baths with toilet role, pour bubble bath in the toilet before he uses it, cut one side of his hair by 5mm every night while he sleeps and put earplugs in his ears so when he wakes up he thinks he is deaf, peel the sealant off his windows so he gets a draft, cut his tv cable just enough that it still works, but badly, pull loose threads on all his clothing, put the crazy frog song on every time he moves away from the Hi-Fi and break the volume button when it is on full... phone him up pretending to be his mother in law, and that you'll be round in 30mins... and never come.

And do all that while wearing a Sidney Crosby mask.

Would that make a 'too' angry Coburn?

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 10:55 PM
ginner classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
We should employ someone to sit on the bench and continually poke him in the side of the face, follow him home and scratch his car door, drain his pond while he is out, dump collected leaves on his lawn and in his pond and swimming pool, take the laces out of his skates at practice, tailgate him all the way to the arena, push in front of him in every queue he ever joins, dispose of one sock in every pair he has... then cut holes in the remaining odd ones, put slugs in all his shoes, put deep heat in his moisturiser, make sure his cheese steak never has steak, continually take one cobble up from his drive... a different one every time, park in his space at the rink every day, put all his clothes in the shower each practice, apart from his boxers, they have a go on the skate sharpening machine before being pushed around by the zamboni, build a speedbump right outside his gate, clog his sprinkler heads in his garden, take the seat of his bike and tangle the chain, fill his newly ran baths with toilet role, pour bubble bath in the toilet before he uses it, cut one side of his hair by 5mm every night while he sleeps and put earplugs in his ears so when he wakes up he thinks he is deaf, peel the sealant off his windows so he gets a draft, cut his tv cable just enough that it still works, but badly, pull loose threads on all his clothing, put the crazy frog song on every time he moves away from the Hi-Fi and break the volume button when it is on full... phone him up pretending to be his mother in law, and that you'll be round in 30mins... and never come.

I think he'd off himself after item number 10 tbf.

ginner classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 10:28 AM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

I like Coburn, has a decent shot, good checker, just wish he would play a little smarter in his zone. Me thinks he was playing hurt last year and this year if he stays healthy will be a beast. I haven't seen any FA's available this year better than Coburn for the same salary or less, most of all the buyouts and FA's were older than Coburn as well.

FlyersFanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 12:56 AM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

Jets fan here.

We're looking for a #4LHD, do you guys think Homer is still looking to trade him? Any idea as to what your needs are? We have lots of D, but only 3 true top 4 D, no idea if you're interested. Any interest in Mark Stuart? He's a tough physical bottom pairing LHD good for 15-20 minutes a night no more. Cap hit is $1.7 million for this year. He would represent a downgrade in talent obviously. If no interest in him, we can offload him somewhere else for picks or whatever.

Chevy seems to be in "lets improve the roster now" mode, so I imagine picks and prospects would be available. Scheifele, Trouba, and Morrissey would not.

Coburn would be paired with Bogosian, who would move the puck for him and do the offense in the zone. Bogosian is also a consistently intense player, I could see him bringing out "beast mode" Coburn. They would be the shutdown big minute pair.

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 01:17 AM
dats81

What makes it even harder to get solid return for Coburn in a trade is that he has a modified NTC.
He basically decides where he would like to go...

dats81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 01:46 AM
BackWithaVengeance

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
Jets fan here.

We're looking for a #4LHD, do you guys think Homer is still looking to trade him? Any idea as to what your needs are? We have lots of D, but only 3 true top 4 D, no idea if you're interested. Any interest in Mark Stuart? He's a tough physical bottom pairing LHD good for 15-20 minutes a night no more. Cap hit is $1.7 million for this year. He would represent a downgrade in talent obviously. If no interest in him, we can offload him somewhere else for picks or whatever.

Chevy seems to be in "lets improve the roster now" mode, so I imagine picks and prospects would be available. Scheifele, Trouba, and Morrissey would not.

Coburn would be paired with Bogosian, who would move the puck for him and do the offense in the zone. Bogosian is also a consistently intense player, I could see him bringing out "beast mode" Coburn. They would be the shutdown big minute pair.
Welcome.

Well, the problem is, our biggest need is a top-pairing D.

Does mean whenever the Flyers trade Coburn, it would be more Coburn+ to get him. So, we'd like to upgrade and not downgrade when we move him and I think the only player from the Jets who fits the mold is probably Z.Bogosian or the guys you mentioned as "untouchables".

Guess we won't fit as trading partners.

Edit: Forgot Byfuglien.

BackWithaVengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 02:17 AM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

Buff could work. But to be honest I think you guys are looking to make a move now, and we'd prefer to do something at the deadline. We want to see if Trouba can slot into the top 4 before moving Buff. Rumors (more than rumors are that Buff is working out like he never has before, and will come to camp in the best shape of his life.

Truth is we have 2 top pairing RHD (Bogosian and Buff), 1 potential top pairing RHD (Trouba), and two RHD that are at least bottom pairing (Redmond and Postma) with middle pair potential. If it weren't for that, we'd keep Buff.

Old
07-11-2013, 02:19 AM
markzab

Send a message via AIM to markzab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post

This would make a funny commercial...kind of like this one...

markzab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 02:26 AM
BackWithaVengeance

Quote:
Buff could work. But to be honest I think you guys are looking to make a move now, and we'd prefer to do something at the deadline. We want to see if Trouba can slot into the top 4 before moving Buff. Rumors (more than rumors are that Buff is working out like he never has before, and will come to camp in the best shape of his life.

Truth is we have 2 top pairing RHD (Bogosian and Buff), 1 potential top pairing RHD (Trouba), and two RHD that are at least bottom pairing (Redmond and Postma) with middle pair potential. If it weren't for that, we'd keep Buff.
I am of the few here who believes our GM will go hard after Bogosian. Don't say it will happen but he would be a great fit (of course).

But if somehow Byfuglien becomes available and is in good shape like you said I'd love a deal centered around Coburn for him. You have the cap space, we have the players.

This could work.

Old
07-11-2013, 10:50 AM
DecadesofFutility

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackWithaVengeance View Post
I am of the few here who believes our GM will go hard after Bogosian. Don't say it will happen but he would be a great fit (of course).

But if somehow Byfuglien becomes available and is in good shape like you said I'd love a deal centered around Coburn for him. You have the cap space, we have the players.

This could work.
Not interested in Byfuglien at all.

I would love a Coburn for Bogosian trade.
Bogo would be a nice player to build our new defense around.

DecadesofFutility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:01 AM
Hiesenberg

Isn't Bogosian basically their #1 guy? or that Enstrom? All I know is that Winnipeg has a billion dollars of cap space. However they do have a ton of players taking them to Arb.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:46 AM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

We really don't. Wheeler Little and Bogosian could take up $14 million easily of the remaining $19.7 and we still have 3 more roster spots to fill. It's next year that we have lots of space. Jokinen, Stuart, and Thorburn all come off the books. That's $7 million.

Old
07-11-2013, 12:04 PM
BackWithaVengeance

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecadesofFutility View Post
Not interested in Byfuglien at all.

I would love a Coburn for Bogosian trade.
Bogo would be a nice player to build our new defense around.
Just as I would. He'd look GREAT in O&B and I was one of the first here to point out a Bogosian push by Homer.

But to acquire Z.B. we need to overpay. Could be too much if we don't want to sacrifice core players...

Given the wealth of promising defenders the Jets have, getting Byfuglien could be more affordable and reasonable.

Old
07-11-2013, 12:34 PM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
Isn't Bogosian basically their #1 guy? or that Enstrom?
It's kind of a strange situation in Winnipeg. Enstrom and Buff are our #1 line, they usually get the most minutes. But the only reason they're the #1 is because of chemistry, Bogosian is probably a better overall defender. He just lacks the offensive firepower those two have (although he has a decent slapper). In excellent shape, so he was paired with Hainsey this year in a shutdown role, which makes sense.

On most teams without Enstrom and Buff, he'd defeinitely be a #1 or expected to be one.

Old
07-11-2013, 01:58 PM
potsiev2

Quote:
It's kind of a strange situation in Winnipeg. Enstrom and Buff are our #1 line, they usually get the most minutes. But the only reason they're the #1 is because of chemistry, Bogosian is probably a better overall defender. He just lacks the offensive firepower those two have (although he has a decent slapper). In excellent shape, so he was paired with Hainsey this year in a shutdown role, which makes sense.

On most teams without Enstrom and Buff, he'd defeinitely be a #1 or expected to be one.
not one of those d-men are true # 1s....

potsiev2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 04:09 PM
DecadesofFutility

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackWithaVengeance View Post
Just as I would. He'd look GREAT in O&B and I was one of the first here to point out a Bogosian push by Homer.

But to acquire Z.B. we need to overpay. Could be too much if we don't want to sacrifice core players...

Given the wealth of promising defenders the Jets have, getting Byfuglien could be more affordable and reasonable.
I would be willing to overpay, we have a glut of centers and need to rejuvenate our defense.
We draft poorly on defense, but great on forwards, trade some depth on front line for reinforcements on the back end.

Buff just does not impress me, he is no better than what we have right now, IMO.

Old
07-11-2013, 04:22 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecadesofFutility View Post
I would be willing to overpay, we have a glut of centers and need to rejuvenate our defense.
We draft poorly on defense, but great on forwards, trade some depth on front line for reinforcements on the back end.

Buff just does not impress me, he is no better than what we have right now, IMO.
What? How do you figure that?

Lauridsen, a 7th rounder, is looking like he might have some NHL potential in some capacity. That's really great for a 7th rounder. They found Gus undrafted. Bourdoun was taken in the 3rd round and was starting to look like something before his career was derailed.

Homer has done pretty well scouting talent recently. Now he's used two high picks on defenseman. Maybe we should take into account what they've done lately, and wait and see what happens with the Morin and Hagg before flipping out, eh?

07-11-2013, 04:26 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
What? How do you figure that?

Lauridsen, a 7th rounder, is looking like he might have some NHL potential in some capacity. That's really great for a 7th rounder. They found Gus undrafted. Bourdoun was taken in the 3rd round and was starting to look like something before his career was derailed.

Homer has done pretty well scouting talent recently. Now he's used two high picks on defenseman. Maybe we should take into account what they've done lately, and wait and see what happens with the Morin and Hagg before flipping out, eh?
Gus, Lauridsen, & Bourdon aren't flashy therefore they suck & don't count!

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 04:28 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post

Ah yes, I forgot. Every pick that isn't a sure-fire HOF defenseman out of the box is an utter failure. Because 29 other franchises pick those guys every time, and we don't.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 05:53 PM
DecadesofFutility

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post

Gus does count and I hope he becomes more than a 3rd pairing defenseman.
In fact Gus is the best defenseman Holmer has found to this point.

I have hopes that Hagg could be a player, not so sure about Morin.
The prospects he drafted may turn out to be players, or not.

I hope they are players, I would rather be wrong in this case.
I would rather keep our young players than trade them if possible.

I would just prefer to prepare for Timmo's retirement now, instead of next year.

Old
07-11-2013, 06:38 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Homer has been preparing since last year. He tried hard to get Weber. He has also drafted a huge amount of Dmen hoping to hit on something. What do you mean, wait until next year? Next year would be Year 3, not the beginning.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:36 PM
DecadesofFutility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Homer has been preparing since last year. He tried hard to get Weber. He has also drafted a huge amount of Dmen hoping to hit on something. What do you mean, wait until next year? Next year would be Year 3, not the beginning.
Trying for 3 years without success, very sad.
If that's true its more of an indictment of his ability than I imagined.