HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Devils Ilya Kovalchuk Announces Retirement

Old
07-11-2013, 09:32 PM
beastly115

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue94 View Post
someone get me caught up, why is be retiring? has it surfaced? is there a medical problem in his family or something? even if he retires and moves to russia he can not play in the khl correct bc he has an nhl contract??? or is this the situation where all that gets tested???
He's retiring from the NHL, not from hockey. Contract, shmontract. The KHL doesn't give a ****.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:32 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA#11 View Post
They aren't getting that pick back...that is why its going to be so great watching the meltdown as they slip further and further down the standing the wailing from Devil fans about losing a likely top 5 pick will be golden!
I know they aren't. But some of them think they get it back. I hope they win the lottery. That would be priceless.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:33 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
I'm with you. But too many people focussing on the word "retired". I think he's made it pretty clear he's not moving to Russia to sit in a rocking chair for the rest of his life. "Retiring" is simply the step that needed to be taken to allow him to leave the NHL.

And if he left because he was going to lose 14% to escrow, I can't blame him. To me it's ridiculous that the best league in the world can't pay the best for top talent. But that's a whole other discussion.
How are they not paying their talent? 50% of all earnings go to the players, FFS. The players collectively made 14% more than they should have, and now have to give it back.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:33 PM
bleedblue94

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastly115 View Post
He's retiring from the NHL, not from hockey. Contract, shmontract. The KHL doesn't give a ****.
isnt there an agreement between the nhl and khl that players with contracts in one league cant sign and play in the other league???

bleedblue94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:38 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
Yeah, he went on to make movies instead - 42 since he retired. Made more money in movies than he did at football. So, it's OK to leave your team to go make bigger money in movies but not OK to move to another country and make big money playing the same sport?
Yeah, I think that a lot of folks have a real problem with that.

You sign a contract, then bail on that contract under the guise of wanting to raise a family back in your home land when in all reality you are leaving one league to play in another league for more money.

I would have no problem if he left the industry and moved onto something else like movies or ship building.

He's a dirtbag.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:41 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post

You sign a contract, then bail on that contract under the guise of wanting to raise a family back in your home land when in all reality you are leaving one league to play in another league for more money.

I would have no problem if he left the industry and moved onto something else like movies or ship building.

He's a dirtbag.
This. If he all of a sudden lost interest in hockey and went to become a monk, more power to him. But he didn't lose interest in hockey. It's just a money-grab. God forbid he makes 9.5 million instead of 11 million.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:43 PM
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Punisher View Post
Well considering the average NFL career is somthing like 4 1/2 years one might surmize that Jim Brown played much longer than he should have.

I don't think you can compare the two sports, or the two eras.
No need to compare them as far as I'm concerned but for the record, the stats about career lengths are misleading. The fact is lousy players have short careers, not because they are typically injured but because they are lousy (or average at best) and teams don't want to pay higher wages for players who aren't going to improve. Great players typically have long careers because teams want them around.

Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:45 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
someone get me caught up, why is be retiring? has it surfaced? is there a medical problem in his family or something? even if he retires and moves to russia he can not play in the khl correct bc he has an nhl contract??? or is this the situation where all that gets tested???
He wants to score 50 goals, doesn't want to play defense, doesn't want to get hit, wants to make the same amount of money or more in his birth country.

I don't care about the how or when or why of it. This "we're a family" bit and "loyalty" has been shoved down our throats by the devils for too long. Guess what, you're the same as everyone else.

abev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:46 PM
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post

He's a dirtbag.
Dirtbag? Nah, I think he's a normal guy. And I think most people on this board would do the same thing if they were in his very unique position.

Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:47 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
isnt there an agreement between the nhl and khl that players with contracts in one league cant sign and play in the other league???
the devils are agreeing to terminate the contract and let him play in russia. last thing the devils need is to continue paying a disinterested kovalchuk before he just quits for real and the devils end up with a crazy recapture penalty.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:47 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

As a Rangers/Nets fan, today has been absolutely AWESOME. The funny thing is that Kirilenko's decision is pretty much the perfect counterbalance to Kovy's.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:49 PM
Oak
Hockey fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
theres no money in the KHL.

where are they making their money? nobody watches their games, AHL games sell more tickets than that league does.

only 1 team in the entire KHL averaged more fans than the worst drawing team in the NHL

http://www.hockeydb.com/nhl-attendan...L2009&sid=2013

http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance

so who's going to pay these bills forever? Nobody watches, which means sponsors will only last for so long.

they better hope that more people start coming to games.
I don't think it's unreasonable to think that it might just be a money laundering scheme and a hobby for many of the russian gangsters who own teams.

Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:50 PM
bleedblue94

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
the devils are agreeing to terminate the contract and let him play in russia. last thing the devils need is to continue paying a disinterested kovalchuk before he just quits for real and the devils end up with a crazy recapture penalty.
thank you, thats the info i was looking for. surprised that with the devils financial issues they didnt try to milk some cash from the khl for letting him go ha

i know we all love watching the devils struggle, but it is sad when they lost parise in part bc of the money tied up in ilya

oh well...

bleedblue94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:00 PM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
The KHL is an easier league, and he can make more/less taxed money.

If that was on his mind a few years ago, he suckered Lou pretty good.
He really did play Lou on so many levels that it's comical to think that Lou used to own his players and strong arm them.

This is such a disaster for that franchise having your star player and face of the franchise just quit on you despite the insane way they committed to him to the point that hey got massively penalized because the commitment was so outlandish..

JR#9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:05 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
The NHL, who are backing the Devils allowed them to circumvent the cap. What if Richards retires and goes to play in the KHL? There won't be a huge cap recapture?
the cap recapture is based on the breakdown of the contract and how much the guy has been paid vs the cap hit...and the devils made the first 2 years cheap (maybe lou knew the cap recapture was coming).

in the 3 years of his contract kovalchuk was paid $23 mil (6,6,11) meanwhile he counted against the devils cap $20 mil ($6.67 mil per). so the devils benefitted by $3 mil against the cap. that $3 mil gets 'recaptured' spread over the life of the contract. $3 mil over 12 years = $250k

richards on the other hand though has been paid $24 mil in 2 years but the cap total cap hit is only 13 mil. so the rangers would be penalized $11 mil spread over the rest of the contract...each additional year he plays where he gets paid more than his cap hit, the penalty goes up, any year where he gets paid below his cap hit the penalty goes down.

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:07 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

I know because it's the Devils I'm supposed to laugh my ass off about this but I'm a little pissed. I always was a Kovy fan and I had his back time and time again when he was criticized for being selfish and then he goes and does this.

DEUTSCHLANDWELTMEISTER2014
Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:07 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Cue the it's all about the money money money song
granted its tax free but $50 mil over 5 years in the khl with no guarantee you'll see the $$ isn't that much when you consider he would have been paid $56 mil over the next 5 years in nj

Old
07-11-2013, 10:09 PM
Baby Punisher

JR is killing it on Twitter.

Baby Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:10 PM
CM PUNK

on the devils losing their pick...the whole point of the penalty and the circumvention was the assumption that he would retire before the contract is over. so then when that actually happens they are supposed to get their pick back? if that doesn't prove the favoritism toward lou...

of course that said look forward to the release from the nhl tomorrow stating that the devils get to keep their pick and will be rewarded a 1st round pick as compensation for losing him lol

Old
07-11-2013, 10:16 PM
Green Blob*

6 hours later and im still laughing over this.

Enjoy the bottom of the barrel Devils.

Green Blob* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:16 PM
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
on the devils losing their pick...the whole point of the penalty and the circumvention was the assumption that he would retire before the contract is over. so then when that actually happens they are supposed to get their pick back? if that doesn't prove the favoritism toward lou...

of course that said look forward to the release from the nhl tomorrow stating that the devils get to keep their pick and will be rewarded a 1st round pick as compensation for losing him lol
Tom Guilluti has already said that Bill Daly has said that the two things are unrelated. They aren't getting it back.

The pick losing penalty was because the contract was illegal, has nothing to do with retirement.

Championship* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:19 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Championship View Post
Tom Guilluti has already said that Bill Daly has said that the two things are unrelated. They aren't getting it back.

The pick losing penalty was because the contract was illegal, has nothing to do with retirement.
and yet the league approved the contract...gotta love how they shutdown the league every few years to get a new cba and then can ignore the cba and just make up the rules as they go

Old
07-11-2013, 10:21 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

Knowing the ****ing annoying ass Devils, they'll make the playoffs anyway

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:24 PM
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie

Quote:
and yet the league approved the contract...gotta love how they shutdown the league every few years to get a new cba and then can ignore the cba and just make up the rules as they go
If I recall correctly, the league advised the Devils NOT to sign him to the original contract.

Championship* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:25 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:

they just announced that NJ has 4 more years to forfeit the pick.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote