HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[EDM/STL] David Perron for Magnus Paajarvi + 2nd '14 | Part 2

Old
07-11-2013, 06:36 PM
Asher

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilGuns View Post
Here guys, all of you need to watch is this... breaks the trade down nicely.

/thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcK0...e_gdata_player

On a serious note I was conflicted on this trade but I'm warming up to it a lot more today, clear upgrade for us.
Doesn't he have his own radio show on CHED?

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 06:38 PM
RisingSun

vCash: 50
Quote:

/thread

On a serious note I was conflicted on this trade but I'm warming up to it a lot more today, clear upgrade for us.
I'd trade him for Dan Tencer any day of the week.

RisingSun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 06:49 PM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
Doesn't he have his own radio show on CHED?

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 07:22 PM
titsuple

Quote:

/thread

Thanks for that. Do they let anyone post on youtube???

titsuple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 07:23 PM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

vCash: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRadicals View Post
I'd trade him for Dan Tencer any day of the week.
I thought it WAS Dan Tencer.

NAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 07:37 PM
hockeyaddict101

Risk for both teams:

For St. Louis

Gets a player that could not crack the Oilers for a whole season.
A player that has never really shown a penchant for great goal scoring.
Is not proven, known to be rather soft, 6-3 but in reality plays small.
Perhaps what we see is what we get, a perpetual 3rd line winger that continues to skate down the wing in a blaze of speed and shoots it into the crest.

Upside

Creates cap space
Get a player that has shown flashes of putting it together, if he does could be a 2nd line winger.
Starts using the speed and size and becomes that power forward.
22 still time to grow into role.

Risk to Edmonton

Perron has had one concussion but it was a doozy.
Perron is known to be individualistic
Not big.
Had a down year last year.

Upside.

Is 25, has not yet hit prime. I really did not see a lot of talk about Perron's upside.
Has scored 20 goals twice before the age of 25
Was playing for a defensive team, will be playing with better players
Not big but known for his grittiness, work along boards.

-----------------------

This is the kind of trade that a team turning the corner makes, you take a player with potential for a player with the better fit.

Perron is the better player now and yes has the potential to get better. There is always risk in any trade. No GM was going to give you Perron for Hemsky or Omark.

As for the 2nd round draft pick, it has a 30% chance of being a player that plays 100 games.

This is the kind of trade I bemoaned Tambellini for never making, you sometimes have to trade potential (or a player another team actually wants) for a player that makes your team better NOW!

Yes Paarjarvi could be the better player 4 years from now. So could Perron. Paarjarvi could also turn into a 3rd line checker in the Blues system and Perron could turn into a 35 goal scorer playing in a more offensive system. There is risk both ways.

But the upside from Edmonton's standpoint is you get a player that has scored 20 goals twice, has upside, goes to the net (watch his goals on video, you will see what I mean) and is gritty and IS a 2nd line winger NOW.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 07:58 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

Quote:

/thread

He's getting a subscription from me that's for sure.

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:19 PM
Thorulf

In swedish newspaper Expressen, Magnus says that the trade was unexpected. He felt that something might happend last week, but not now. He also says he is glad to come to a club that is playoffs "every year". He also states that he thinks his type of play will fit good in Blues.

Article, in swedish.
http://www.expressen.se/sport/hockey...n-klar-himmel/)

Thorulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:42 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorulf View Post
In swedish newspaper Expressen, Magnus says that the trade was unexpected. He felt that something might happend last week, but not now. He also says he is glad to come to a club that is playoffs "every year". He also states that he thinks his type of play will fit good in Blues.

Article, in swedish.
I like Magnus, and I'm glad he went to a team that's going to be in the playoffs next season. Not a bottom feeder team.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:58 PM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

I liked the trade initially and I like it even more now that it looks like both Magnus and David seem to both be happy with the trade.

Of course they are both likely to publicly say they are looking forward to their new team... but I think they genuinely could be really good fits for both their teams going forward and be excellent in new environments.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:05 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

Quote:

/thread

How did you find this?

And why is this prepubsecent kid such a hater?

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:09 PM
Lay Z Boy GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorulf View Post

Article, in swedish.
Good thing he's taking it well. I can safely say most Oilers fans like the guy and hope he does well with the Blues.

Lay Z Boy GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:38 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post

How did you find this?

I was wondering the same thing

07-11-2013, 10:48 PM
RisingSun

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post

How did you find this?

You guys are such haters

Have you ever considered looking at things from another perspective, u homer?

Maybe Paajarvi is 34...have you ever seen his birth certificate? I don't think so. And it's a fact that people don't care about the oilers, it's not subjective at all.

God you haters get me riled up, watch that kid get a prime guest spot on the internationally acclaimed Dan Tencer show, I bet you'll all be jealous!!!!

just in case.

RisingSun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:59 PM
OilGuns

Wha.. what ? You don't agree.... I made this video..

I was wanting to see some sick videos of Perron and decided to filter youtube to "Today" for the heck of it.

BOOM.

This little gem popped up

OilGuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:15 PM
DrDrai

What is everyone's view on size, I see a lot of, small, not big, etc.

Perron is 6' 200lbs. Crosby is 5'11" 200lbs and not a single person says anything about his size. I just find it funny how everyone is so hung up on 6'4" 230lbs scoring power forward when realistically there might be 5-10 in the league that are worth while.

DrDrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:32 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

I'm not even sure you could find 10 power forwards who are 6'4" and 230 lbs who are worth more than a bag of pucks.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:32 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Did you just compare Perron to Crosby. Also, the Oilers are currently the softest team the entire NHL. They are incredibly one dimensional up front. Not in terms of individual players but just being nothing but skill and offense. And of course small stature.

Anyways this trade does absolutely nothing for me and I still don't understand it. I was expecting so much more this offseason from MacT, I guess that was my first mistake. They should've traded Eberle for some higher end depth or a top 3, top 2 Dman...

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:46 PM
Steve BachIntyre
BonegrinderNetminder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
Did you just compare Perron to Crosby. Also, the Oilers are currently the softest team the entire NHL. They are incredibly one dimensional up front. Not in terms of individual players but just being nothing but skill and offense. And of course small stature.

Anyways this trade does absolutely nothing for me and I still don't understand it. I was expecting so much more this offseason from MacT, I guess that was my first mistake. They should've traded Eberle for some higher end depth or a top 3, top 2 Dman...
Obviously you have NEVER watched an oilers game. Try it and then come back and talk about their forwards defensive play once you are educated a tad.

Steve BachIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:47 PM
JetsOilersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240SX93 View Post
What is everyone's view on size, I see a lot of, small, not big, etc.

Perron is 6' 200lbs. Crosby is 5'11" 200lbs and not a single person says anything about his size. I just find it funny how everyone is so hung up on 6'4" 230lbs scoring power forward when realistically there might be 5-10 in the league that are worth while.
This - this is so golden and so appropriate. News flash people - 6' and 200lb's is NOT a small man. I'm sick and tired of reading the 'we just got smaller' crap.

Bottom line is Magnus played like 5' 8" 160lb winger. He rarely went into the corners and when he did he lost a heck of a lot more battles then he won and I didn't see any player from the opposing team get beat up in that corner by him.

Perron got right in Quick's grill in that playoff series, and most of you would get the living crap kicked out of you by a 6' 200lb athlete I guarantee you that.

News flash folks as 240SX93 says (I had a '91 btw - blue - superhicas steering - fav car of all time) there's only a hand ful of big men that have the size AND talent to play anyway. How many Lucic's are there? And guess what - THEY AIN'T FOR SALE at ANY PRICE save trading away your top FOUR player and your next 5 First rounders.

MacT is doing all he can do but you don't trade for Lucic, you DRAFT him. Get it?

I think it's a great trade. MPS doesn't fit here at all. He's not in the same caliber as Hall/Hopkins/Yak/Eberle and he doesn't play big. You need to 'big' guys (as in guys who play big) with talent to join those four and Perron is one of them. MPS also can't play bottom six cause he's way too soft. Personally he's a great kid and I wish him all the best - but bottom line is he didn't fit here. Great trade MacT - now it's Hemsky's turn

JetsOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:48 PM
aleshemsky83

Quote:

Trading Eberle is about as short-sighted a move as MacT could have possibly pulled, you're upset about trading Magnus Pajaarvi for a Left Wing we were in dire need of then go on to say the answer is to trade a star forward for depth?

aleshemsky83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:54 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlapshotSuperstar View Post
Obviously you have NEVER watched an oilers game. Try it and then come back and talk about their forwards defensive play once you are educated a tad.
You literally have no idea what you're talking about. Seriously. Please put the koolaid down and remove your CoCo Chanel rose coloured glasses. We can play these silly games all day.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 12:04 AM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 2394
Quote:

Somebody's never watched the Habs...

Also, why on Earth should we trade Eberle? PRV for a legitimate 2nd line left winger is perfect.

GreatKeith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 12:05 AM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:

I bet 20 games into next season, any thoughts of trading Eberle will be completely out of your head.

And to those lamenting this apparently soft team we have, did they not notice who just won the cup? And who they beat? Skill and speed still trump size.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 12:07 AM
Consultant

I like it, now move rather than in xx years deal

I was unsure at first, but after watching some of those youtube videos, I must admit the guy is slick and can snipe.

Right handed shot looks like Eberle's (before the injured hand). He looks like a high energy guy that can dangle. Sort of like a Burrows, but less of a tit.

Sure we need size but nothing wrong with another top six forward, with Hemmer we currently now have 7, how many years has it been since we could say that??

We have 4 guys who could hit 30 goals next year (Ebs, Hall, Yak & Perron) Nuge and Gagner with 60 points...

Let's all quit complaining and recall the days when Steve Rice was playing first line minutes.

Consultant is offline   Reply With Quote