HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who will rise? Who will fall?

Old
07-11-2013, 10:52 PM
NYR2007

vCash: 50
Who will rise? Who will fall?

Every season everyone always looks at our roster and expects players to put up similar if not better numbers going into the new season.

Ex. Gaborik playing with Nash and Richards will score 50 goals.

But every season their is always players that fall short of expectations and of course their is players that excel and exceed expectations for them.

I'm curious as to who you guys think these players will be next season ?

Fail Expectations;

Stepan - I don't he will produce like everyone is expecting him too. I believe he will struggle if he is expected to be our 1st line center. (Not putting up a PPG over a full 82)

Exceed Expectations;

Michael Del Zotto - I believe this player will come into the season surprising alot of you guys here. I think if this system is going to be more offensive as we are lead on to believe, I think this is going to be the player that stands out the most. Mainly due to many of you guys wanting to trade him this off season.

Last edited by NYR2007: 07-11-2013 at 11:00 PM.
NYR2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:59 PM
Green Blob*

vCash: 500
Risers:

McD - Yup, the kid will FINALLY get confidence from him coach to put him on the PP, watch his numbers double this season offensively.

Richards - With all the hate, expect him to hit 65-75 points again.

Fallers:

Dstep - Think he has a lower season this year.

Danny G - Think he starts falling back to earth.

Green Blob* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:02 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Stock rising:

McDonagh: gets power play time and breaks 40 points.

Kreider: if used correctly and plays with a center that will get him the puck off the rush when he's mos dangerous, will score more goals.

Stock falling:

Brassard: he'll put up respectable 40-45 points but will be vilified by the media and Garden faithful for not maintaining his torrid playoff pace.

Stralman: defensive play falls off a bit. Could see him as a trade candidate at the deadline if McIlrath usurps him.

Jury's out: Richards: puts up respectable numbers knowing he's playing for his buyout contract from another team. Can he turn it on come playoff time to do what he came to do, to win a cup in New York?

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 06:14 AM
eco's bones

I suspect both Stepan and Brassard will have very good seasons--especially Stepan. Richards is going to make an exit stage left from top 6 play and Stepan is going to step into his spot--maybe not seamlessly but Steps is very good defensively and his face-off %'s have been improving year by year. He's a guy who rises to the challenge. He is also a guy who will eventually find chemistry with whoever he plays with. I don't worry about him too much.

For Kreider there is nowhere to go but up. I don't expect a fantastic season but I expect better. If he hits for 15 goals that would be okay.

Girardi is not going to fall off. He's the top pair right defenseman. He understands how he needs to play. He knows how to prepare for that. We're going to get more than less the same-old same-old.

Del Zotto's numbers might improve slightly--dependent on what the pwp does. That's where any additional offense is going to come from which is going to depend on how AV uses him. In the war for left defense ice time Michael's got his work cut out for him. Both Staal and McDonagh are minute eaters--guys you want doing 25 minutes a game easily. If the Rangers keep both of them Michael is probably going to be spending at least half his time on the right side where he is not nearly as good. As a powerplay point man he is not in Subban's or Markov's class. Unless his shot improves and the Rangers pwp improves he's pretty much going to have the same numbers.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 07:52 AM
NYR Viper

Risers:

Zuccarello, J. Moore, Anton Stralman

Fallers:

Del Zotto, Biron

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 08:08 AM
Stepanformayor*

Every season everyone always looks at our roster and expects players to put up similar if not better numbers going into the new season.

Fail Expectations;

Stepan - I don't he will produce like everyone is expecting him too. I believe he will struggle if he is expected to be our 1st line center. (Not putting up a PPG over a full 82)
[/B]

Although i respect your opinion and those like it. I still find it commical that after 3 year's of producing like no other NY Ranger draftee in recent past has. A good # of the Ranger "faithful" are still waiting for the other shoe to drop with D. Stepan. I'm here to tell you folks it aint going to happen. IMO, pound for pound he's the smartest, and one of the most important player's this team has and barring an unforseen injury D.Stepan will continue to put up
60-75 points a season.. The young man is a "hockey player". Those are not easy to find..

Stepanformayor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 08:09 AM
Cresto
In the pantry

Rise MDZ fall R.C

Cresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 08:09 AM
Lundsanity30

I'm not saying Stepan will play at a PPG pace, but he's done nothing but get better each season I'm not sure when people are going to "buy in"

Lundsanity30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 08:28 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

I'm a little worried if the definition of "first line center" for so many people is a PPG player. There are 4 or 5 PPG centers each year at best.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 08:29 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I'm a little worried if the definition of "first line center" for so many people is a PPG player. There are 4 or 5 PPG centers each year at best.
It's video games, I swear. It's like expecting a 2nd line center to have 70 points and a 3rd line center to have 50. It's setting yourself up for disappointment.

Old
07-12-2013, 08:34 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
If i recall the stat correctly, Stepan had something like the 15th highest points total amongst centers in the NHL in 2013.

Unless the NHL contracted by 16 teams without our knowledge, that makes Stepan a #1 center.

I don't understand the expectations for failure, either.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 08:38 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckrush View Post
If i recall the stat correctly, Stepan had something like the 15th highest points total amongst centers in the NHL in 2013.

Unless the NHL contracted by 16 teams without our knowledge, that makes Stepan a #1 center.

I don't understand the expectations for failure, either.

I have made that point countless times about countless players who people get on. It keeps coming back. It's a vicious cycle.

Old
07-12-2013, 08:43 AM
NYR2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsposHounds View Post

Although i respect your opinion and those like it. I still find it commical that after 3 year's of producing like no other NY Ranger draftee in recent past has. A good # of the Ranger "faithful" are still waiting for the other shoe to drop with D. Stepan. I'm here to tell you folks it aint going to happen. IMO, pound for pound he's the smartest, and one of the most important player's this team has and barring an unforseen injury D.Stepan will continue to put up
60-75 points a season.. The young man is a "hockey player". Those are not easy to find..
I understand where your coming from completely, and believe me i hope the kid turns into a Stud. But i just think people expect him to be a point per game #1 center men because of the numbers he put up in a shorten season.

I do think he will put up points, just not at the rate people expect

Old
07-12-2013, 08:45 AM
NYR2007

Quote:
This is basically what i'm saying, I don't think people realize this and that is why i feel he will disappoint people.

Old
07-12-2013, 08:50 AM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Risers:

McD: will have an offensive breakout

Hags: will use dat speed and put up major points

Fallers:

Richards: wheels will just completely fall off

Girardi: body begins to break down

Del Zotto: will be good for at least 3 brainfarts/game

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 08:58 AM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

I can see Stralman's defensive game dropping as he reverts to his old player style. I think the bad cop approach by Torts and Sully did a lot for him. I also don't think McDonagh's going to have the meteoric rise people are expecting. 37 points with PP time. Brassard under 55 points. Stepan under 65 (he had very few games where he scored multiple points against weaker teams, which is how most PPG players have lots of their points - the consistent 1-2 point nights won't continue over a full season) - he continues his defensive play though and remains our forward MVP over Nash who scores 37 goals and 73 points.

I see Richards doing better than expected here and being our top scoring center. Del Zotto goes back to 40+ points. I also see Staal with a 10 goal season.

I also see the stumpy wizard scoring 65 points and breaking out. AV's cycle style I believe will suit him like it did the Sedins.

Last edited by iamitter: 07-12-2013 at 09:20 AM.
iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 09:34 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

Risers:

Hagelin: I think he puts up 15 goals and 30 assists this year.

Stepan: I think his production will continue from where it was last year (trending up) and he will finish the season with 70+ points.

Staal: I think he will come back this year, bigger and better than ever in an effort to prove his eye won't change the way he plays.

Brassard: I think he keeps it together and establishes himself as our #2 C with a 55-60 point season.

Fallers:

Kreider: I think this is the year where people finally start considering Kreider a bust. He will be given ample time to establish himself but over an 82 game schedule I see 10 goals and 14 assists for 24 points which, for a scoring winger is quite bad.

Biron: His five hole has grown even larger in the off season.

07-12-2013, 09:48 AM
NYRangers723

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me Maybe View Post
Risers:

Hagelin: I think he puts up 15 goals and 30 assists this year.

Stepan: I think his production will continue from where it was last year (trending up) and he will finish the season with 70+ points.

Staal: I think he will come back this year, bigger and better than ever in an effort to prove his eye won't change the way he plays.

Brassard: I think he keeps it together and establishes himself as our #2 C with a 55-60 point season.

Fallers:

Kreider: I think this is the year where people finally start considering Kreider a bust. He will be given ample time to establish himself but over an 82 game schedule I see 10 goals and 14 assists for 24 points which, for a scoring winger is quite bad.

Biron: His five hole has grown even larger in the off season.
Well to be fair we havent really seen Kreider play a full season to determine what he is. However in the playoffs in 2012 when he was able to play his game play with guys like stepan who he is chemistry with he flourished. Then in 2013 he was pretty much buried on the 4th line which was lets face it crap. Even nash would have a tough time producing on that line lol. I personally belive Kreider will have a good year.

NYRangers723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 09:51 AM
JohnC
#FreeSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me Maybe View Post
Then Kershaw cracks open his bookmarks folder to provide proof that he said it before everyone else?

JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 09:55 AM
Hockeyplayer99

Stepan will not produce, I still remember last seasons opening game when Stepan missed a couple of shots, the people in my section were cursing at him saying he is horrible and they wish he wasn't on the team. Yet they praised every little thing Callahan did. Well at the end of the season who was your best player. I would have to say Stepan. Every single player he played with played good on his line and struggled on other lines. If you wanted someone to get going Torts put them with Stepan. So once again here we go with Stepan will not produce. Why do some of these fans hate Step so much. He is a playmaker not a scorer, but yet he still seems to put goals in. So still don;t understand the hate for him

Hockeyplayer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 10:27 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Risers:

The Dark Knight

Fallers:

Bane

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 10:45 AM
JeffMangum
mfw Flyers D

vCash: 300
Risers: Brassard (I think he carriers over his play from the playoffs), Hagelin, Kreider, Del Zotto, McDonagh

Fall: Callahan, Girardi

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 10:49 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
Then Kershaw cracks open his bookmarks folder to provide proof that he said it before everyone else?
I dunno. I don't pay attention to his posts since half are troll posts and others are gloating posts. Its amazing he still can post here and that he hasn't broken his arms from patting himself on the back so often.

Ive never been high on Kreider though. Ever. Even in the Nash threads when the trade rumors were going. I always said Id rather keep AA or our 1st over Kreider. I just feel like he has all the tools and no tool box. Maybe it was Torts system and the kid was playing bat **** scared.

Gardner McKay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 10:53 AM
pdogfizzle
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyplayer99 View Post
Stepan will not produce, I still remember last seasons opening game when Stepan missed a couple of shots, the people in my section were cursing at him saying he is horrible and they wish he wasn't on the team. Yet they praised every little thing Callahan did. Well at the end of the season who was your best player. I would have to say Stepan. Every single player he played with played good on his line and struggled on other lines. If you wanted someone to get going Torts put them with Stepan. So once again here we go with Stepan will not produce. Why do some of these fans hate Step so much. He is a playmaker not a scorer, but yet he still seems to put goals in. So still don;t understand the hate for him
You're taking things too personally. No one is saying that he's not good or that everyone hates him. Some people just think he won't put up the same numbers this year and maybe do a little worse than many are expecting.

Risers:
Zuke- Might not put up the biggest point production but will be a difference on the ice almost every game
Del Zotto- Will have more freedom to join in on the rush. Offensive production will go up. Praying that he's more effective on the pp this year
Richards- Will be better with a full training camp and not be the worthless puss he was last year

Faller:
Moore- He will be a decent 3rd pairing defender but we will see his flaws
Kreider- Won't end the year on the top 2 lines. Will show he can be more physical but not produce consitently on offense
Brassard- Will be placed on the third line and won't be as effective offensively but will still put up around 40 points. Won't produce on pace since he joined the rangers

pdogfizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 10:59 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers723 View Post
Well to be fair we havent really seen Kreider play a full season to determine what he is. However in the playoffs in 2012 when he was able to play his game play with guys like stepan who he is chemistry with he flourished. Then in 2013 he was pretty much buried on the 4th line which was lets face it crap. Even nash would have a tough time producing on that line lol. I personally belive Kreider will have a good year.
I hope your right since it would help our team be that much more successful. Im not saying there is no chance. If he does produce I think he was a casualty of Torts system. Personally I just don't see the massive upside some do (but again, hoping I am wrong!)

Gardner McKay is online now   Reply With Quote