HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Devils Ilya Kovalchuk Announces Retirement

Old
07-11-2013, 10:26 PM
broadwayblue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Knowing the ****ing annoying ass Devils, they'll make the playoffs anyway
probably. pretty much every time you count them out they find a way. it's actually impressive in a maddening kind of way. hopefully the end is finally near. lol

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:28 PM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
and yet the league approved the contract...gotta love how they shutdown the league every few years to get a new cba and then can ignore the cba and just make up the rules as they go
The draft pick penalty is for filing the first Kovalchuk contract, which the league rejected on the basis of cap circumvention. Not for the one Kovalchuk just retired from.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:29 PM
shinchanyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Did Jim Brown have 11 years left on his contract?
I literally just said the situations are too different to compare them and you ask me to compare them. That's close to the actual definition of insanity if I were to reiterate myself here

shinchanyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:32 PM
The Gloaming
Free Jesper Fast

Good news for everyone who finishes ahead of the Devils in the standings next year: your first round pick will be one spot higher than anticipated.

The Gloaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:37 PM
shinchanyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
No, I'm not assuming anything. In this thread you have been quoting people who have been criticizing Kovalchuk and trying to refute their opinions of him and deflecting criticism away from the player and instead directing it to the Devils organization.

If you didn't care about what other fans thought of Kovalchuk, you would not have bothered responding to those posts criticizing him, now would you? I'll ask you again, why do you care if people criticize Kovalchuk for his actions?

Oh, and if you want to rant about people 'idolizing' sports figures - you're in the wrong thread. This thread is dedicated to discussion about Kovalchuck and his retirement.
Well this topic is about Kovalchuk leaving so I have framed my argument in terms of that topic. The opinions people form about this issue are often skewed by the high regard they have for his "position" as an athlete. "He can't leave! B-b-but...his DUTY to the fans and his team!?" My criticism is of people holding athletes in such high regard that we think we can/should dictate their life and career choices. We think we should be angry to very high degrees when these athletes do not decide to go our way. We think it actually matters to a significant degree. I question that way of thinking is all.

This thread is about his career/life decision. I am discussing the merits of his decision as a human being while also discussing the merits of being angered by this decision. Too bad if you don't like it

What don't you get? There is a big difference between defending kovalchuk and questioning why people would get this upset over any athelete. It happens to BE kovalchuk but my argument would apply if Lundqvist left as well. My argument applies to when Lebron left, to when Dwight Howard left, to when Farve left, etc. I have now clearly stated this very important distinction to you multiple times as of this writing. Yet you do in fact continue to ASSUME that my goal is to defend Kovalchuk

shinchanyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:37 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
The draft pick penalty is for filing the first Kovalchuk contract, which the league rejected on the basis of cap circumvention. Not for the one Kovalchuk just retired from.
The joke was that a 17 year contract bringing him to age 44 was considered illegal but a slight tweaking of a few bucks and reducing it to 15 years through age 42 wasn't. And then what kind of professional league hands out punishment but allows the violator 4 years to decide when they want to take it? If the NHL wasn't bush league the Devils would have lost their #1 in '11 and that would have been the end of it. In the end, I guess there's still something for us to root for, that they win the lottery next year...at least that would be priceless. But it's still a league run by a bunch of clowns.

Old
07-11-2013, 10:39 PM
darko

What a dick move by Kovy. Awful timing by him, couldn't he do it a month ago? You know before the draft and free agency.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:42 PM
Green Blob*

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
What a dick move by Kovy. Awful timing by him, couldn't he do it a month ago? You know before the draft and free agency.
No, its much funnier this way.

Green Blob* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:43 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Blob View Post
No, its much funnier this way.

Oh don't get me wrong I'm loving it but still a dick move by Kovy.

Old
07-11-2013, 10:50 PM
JR#9*

Quote:
Lou knew about this well before the draft and UFA.

I want to hear if Lou shared that info with his UFAs when he was selling them because that changed the whole outlook of the team and would be pretty misleading if he knew and didn't give them an idea of what was coming down.

JR#9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:58 PM
Championship*

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
The joke was that a 17 year contract bringing him to age 44 was considered illegal but a slight tweaking of a few bucks and reducing it to 15 years through age 42 wasn't. And then what kind of professional league hands out punishment but allows the violator 4 years to decide when they want to take it? If the NHL wasn't bush league the Devils would have lost their #1 in '11 and that would have been the end of it. In the end, I guess there's still something for us to root for, that they win the lottery next year...at least that would be priceless. But it's still a league run by a bunch of clowns.
They wouldn't even be in the lottery, their pick doesn't exist.

Championship* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:59 PM
NYR2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA#11 View Post

I want to hear if Lou shared that info with his UFAs when he was selling them because that changed the whole outlook of the team and would be pretty misleading if he knew and didn't give them an idea of what was coming down.
i think Clowe was sold when he offered the extra few years on the contract and 2 M+ more then worth

NYR2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:01 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Championship View Post
Pretty sure they would have to be in the lottery. Otherwise the percentages won't work out. When it's their spot to pick then their pick doesn't exist.

Old
07-11-2013, 11:01 PM
Miller Time NYR

Quote:
I hope for whatever reason they do get to be a part of the lottery before the pick is deleted and they win it

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:04 PM
Championship*

Quote:
Pretty sure they would have to be in the lottery. Otherwise the percentages won't work out. When it's their spot to pick then their pick doesn't exist.
No, the pick doesn't exist. 29 picks in the round, not 30. If they finished as the worst team in the league, the next team would have the greatest chance of wining the lottery.

If the bottom six teams were (example): Devils, Avs, Panthers, Lightning, Preds, Hurricanes, then remove the Devils and thats your top 5.

Old
07-11-2013, 11:04 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
No, the pick doesn't exist. 29 picks in the round, not 30. If they finished as the worst team in the league, the next team would have the greatest chance of wining the lottery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishBullet62 View Post
I hope for whatever reason they do get to be a part of the lottery before the pick is deleted and they win it
I do think they have to. I mean look at this year's lottery odds:

1. Florida Panthers 25.0%
2. Colorado Avalanche 18.8%
3. Tampa Bay Lightning 14.2%
4. Nashville Predators 10.7%
5. Carolina Hurricanes 8.1%
6. Calgary Flames 6.2%
7. Edmonton Oilers 4.7%
8. Buffalo Sabres 3.6%
9. New Jersey Devils 2.7%
10. Dallas Stars 2.1%
11. Philadelphia Flyers 1.5%
12. Phoenix Coyotes 1.1%
13. Winnipeg Jets 0.8%
14. Columbus Blue Jackets 0.5%

Let's say next year finishes the same way. I don't think you can have the last playoff team (15th worst) in the lottery all of a sudden with a shot at getting the number 1 pick. So they'll hold the lottery, and then they'll just skip the Devils wherever they end up.

Old
07-11-2013, 11:06 PM
Championship*

Quote:
I do think they have to. I mean look at this year's lottery odds:

1. Florida Panthers 25.0%
2. Colorado Avalanche 18.8%
3. Tampa Bay Lightning 14.2%
4. Nashville Predators 10.7%
5. Carolina Hurricanes 8.1%
6. Calgary Flames 6.2%
7. Edmonton Oilers 4.7%
8. Buffalo Sabres 3.6%
9. New Jersey Devils 2.7%
10. Dallas Stars 2.1%
11. Philadelphia Flyers 1.5%
12. Phoenix Coyotes 1.1%
13. Winnipeg Jets 0.8%
14. Columbus Blue Jackets 0.5%

Let's say next year finishes the same way. I don't think you can have the last playoff team (15th worst) in the lottery all of a sudden with a shot at getting the number 1 pick. So they'll hold the lottery, and then they'll just skip the Devils wherever they end up.
I don't think you're getting this. Imagine that for next year, there are only 29 teams in the league.

Old
07-11-2013, 11:06 PM
darko

Don't feel bad for their fans at all. They'd be laughing at us had this happened to Rangers. They might even have the last laugh if Richards gets injured and we can buy him out.

Old
07-11-2013, 11:07 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
I don't think you're getting this. Imagine that for next year, there are only 29 teams in the league.
I am getting it. You can't have a playoff team in the lottery. There will be only 29 teams once the final draft order is determined (after the lottery.) If the Devils should make the playoffs it's a moot point.

Old
07-11-2013, 11:07 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA#11 View Post

If he did and that gets out (at least among the players...it wouldn't even matter if it gets leaked to the media) then it would make Lou a serious pariah when it comes to signing future UFAs. And as shrewd as that man is, I think he would recognize that such a ploy would do more harm than good in the long run.

The Devils would have been an attractive option for a UFA with a pitch of 'Kovy is going to leave, but we've made the playoffs before without star power, and we just got a great young franchise goalie to build around. We may not be Cup contenders this year, but we'll still be a strong team and then we'll have a ton of cap space to get some other real winners in here. Sign here and you'll be playing for a Cup by next season.'

That's a good enough argument to make to not mislead players for a desperation signing and risk becoming known as the biggest liar in the league.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:09 PM
NYR2007

Quote:
He only paid attention in English class. Math must not be his thing

Old
07-11-2013, 11:09 PM
Championship*

Quote:
I am getting it. You can't have a playoff team in the lottery. There will be only 29 teams once the final draft order is determined (after the lottery.) If the Devils should make the playoffs it's a moot point.
No, it's not after the lottery, since the pick....now read this slowly - DOES. NOT. EXIST.

How can something that doesn't exist be in the lottery?

Old
07-11-2013, 11:10 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Don't feel bad for their fans at all. They'd be laughing at us had this happened to Rangers. They might even have the last laugh if Richards gets injured and we can buy him out.
That would actually be far worse.

Old
07-11-2013, 11:10 PM
NYR2007

they change the percentages for 13 teams instead of 14.

just adjust the percentage rates per team

Old
07-11-2013, 11:12 PM
Kershaw

so if kovalchuk wants to return to the NHL with another team, say the Kings for example, will he be allowed to return and in what conditions would take place? The Nabakov rule?

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote