HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Devils Ilya Kovalchuk Announces Retirement

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-11-2013, 10:26 PM
  #501
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 16,871
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Knowing the ****ing annoying ass Devils, they'll make the playoffs anyway
probably. pretty much every time you count them out they find a way. it's actually impressive in a maddening kind of way. hopefully the end is finally near. lol

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:28 PM
  #502
Crease
Registered User
 
Crease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 10,077
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
and yet the league approved the contract...gotta love how they shutdown the league every few years to get a new cba and then can ignore the cba and just make up the rules as they go
The draft pick penalty is for filing the first Kovalchuk contract, which the league rejected on the basis of cap circumvention. Not for the one Kovalchuk just retired from.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:29 PM
  #503
shinchanyo
Registered User
 
shinchanyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Here
Posts: 3,126
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Did Jim Brown have 11 years left on his contract?
I literally just said the situations are too different to compare them and you ask me to compare them. That's close to the actual definition of insanity if I were to reiterate myself here

shinchanyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:32 PM
  #504
The Gloaming
Free Jesper Fast
 
The Gloaming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 28,368
vCash: 500
Good news for everyone who finishes ahead of the Devils in the standings next year: your first round pick will be one spot higher than anticipated.

The Gloaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:37 PM
  #505
shinchanyo
Registered User
 
shinchanyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Here
Posts: 3,126
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
No, I'm not assuming anything. In this thread you have been quoting people who have been criticizing Kovalchuk and trying to refute their opinions of him and deflecting criticism away from the player and instead directing it to the Devils organization.





If you didn't care about what other fans thought of Kovalchuk, you would not have bothered responding to those posts criticizing him, now would you? I'll ask you again, why do you care if people criticize Kovalchuk for his actions?

Oh, and if you want to rant about people 'idolizing' sports figures - you're in the wrong thread. This thread is dedicated to discussion about Kovalchuck and his retirement.
Well this topic is about Kovalchuk leaving so I have framed my argument in terms of that topic. The opinions people form about this issue are often skewed by the high regard they have for his "position" as an athlete. "He can't leave! B-b-but...his DUTY to the fans and his team!?" My criticism is of people holding athletes in such high regard that we think we can/should dictate their life and career choices. We think we should be angry to very high degrees when these athletes do not decide to go our way. We think it actually matters to a significant degree. I question that way of thinking is all.

This thread is about his career/life decision. I am discussing the merits of his decision as a human being while also discussing the merits of being angered by this decision. Too bad if you don't like it

What don't you get? There is a big difference between defending kovalchuk and questioning why people would get this upset over any athelete. It happens to BE kovalchuk but my argument would apply if Lundqvist left as well. My argument applies to when Lebron left, to when Dwight Howard left, to when Farve left, etc. I have now clearly stated this very important distinction to you multiple times as of this writing. Yet you do in fact continue to ASSUME that my goal is to defend Kovalchuk

shinchanyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:37 PM
  #506
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 16,871
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
The draft pick penalty is for filing the first Kovalchuk contract, which the league rejected on the basis of cap circumvention. Not for the one Kovalchuk just retired from.
The joke was that a 17 year contract bringing him to age 44 was considered illegal but a slight tweaking of a few bucks and reducing it to 15 years through age 42 wasn't. And then what kind of professional league hands out punishment but allows the violator 4 years to decide when they want to take it? If the NHL wasn't bush league the Devils would have lost their #1 in '11 and that would have been the end of it. In the end, I guess there's still something for us to root for, that they win the lottery next year...at least that would be priceless. But it's still a league run by a bunch of clowns.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:39 PM
  #507
darko
Registered User
 
darko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: Australia
Posts: 52,761
vCash: 500
What a dick move by Kovy. Awful timing by him, couldn't he do it a month ago? You know before the draft and free agency.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:42 PM
  #508
Green Blob*
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,257
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
What a dick move by Kovy. Awful timing by him, couldn't he do it a month ago? You know before the draft and free agency.
No, its much funnier this way.

Green Blob* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:43 PM
  #509
darko
Registered User
 
darko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: Australia
Posts: 52,761
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Blob View Post
No, its much funnier this way.

Oh don't get me wrong I'm loving it but still a dick move by Kovy.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:50 PM
  #510
JR#9*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,733
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
What a dick move by Kovy. Awful timing by him, couldn't he do it a month ago? You know before the draft and free agency.
Lou knew about this well before the draft and UFA.

I want to hear if Lou shared that info with his UFAs when he was selling them because that changed the whole outlook of the team and would be pretty misleading if he knew and didn't give them an idea of what was coming down.

JR#9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:58 PM
  #511
Championship*
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,499
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
The joke was that a 17 year contract bringing him to age 44 was considered illegal but a slight tweaking of a few bucks and reducing it to 15 years through age 42 wasn't. And then what kind of professional league hands out punishment but allows the violator 4 years to decide when they want to take it? If the NHL wasn't bush league the Devils would have lost their #1 in '11 and that would have been the end of it. In the end, I guess there's still something for us to root for, that they win the lottery next year...at least that would be priceless. But it's still a league run by a bunch of clowns.
They wouldn't even be in the lottery, their pick doesn't exist.

Championship* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:59 PM
  #512
NYR2007
Registered User
 
NYR2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 648
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JA#11 View Post
Lou knew about this well before the draft and UFA.

I want to hear if Lou shared that info with his UFAs when he was selling them because that changed the whole outlook of the team and would be pretty misleading if he knew and didn't give them an idea of what was coming down.
i think Clowe was sold when he offered the extra few years on the contract and 2 M+ more then worth

NYR2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:01 PM
  #513
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 16,871
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Championship View Post
They wouldn't even be in the lottery, their pick doesn't exist.
Pretty sure they would have to be in the lottery. Otherwise the percentages won't work out. When it's their spot to pick then their pick doesn't exist.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:01 PM
  #514
Miller Time NYR
Registered User
 
Miller Time NYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 5,966
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Championship View Post
They wouldn't even be in the lottery, their pick doesn't exist.
I hope for whatever reason they do get to be a part of the lottery before the pick is deleted and they win it

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:04 PM
  #515
Championship*
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,499
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Pretty sure they would have to be in the lottery. Otherwise the percentages won't work out. When it's their spot to pick then their pick doesn't exist.
No, the pick doesn't exist. 29 picks in the round, not 30. If they finished as the worst team in the league, the next team would have the greatest chance of wining the lottery.

If the bottom six teams were (example): Devils, Avs, Panthers, Lightning, Preds, Hurricanes, then remove the Devils and thats your top 5.

Championship* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:04 PM
  #516
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 16,871
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Championship View Post
No, the pick doesn't exist. 29 picks in the round, not 30. If they finished as the worst team in the league, the next team would have the greatest chance of wining the lottery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishBullet62 View Post
I hope for whatever reason they do get to be a part of the lottery before the pick is deleted and they win it
I do think they have to. I mean look at this year's lottery odds:

1. Florida Panthers 25.0%
2. Colorado Avalanche 18.8%
3. Tampa Bay Lightning 14.2%
4. Nashville Predators 10.7%
5. Carolina Hurricanes 8.1%
6. Calgary Flames 6.2%
7. Edmonton Oilers 4.7%
8. Buffalo Sabres 3.6%
9. New Jersey Devils 2.7%
10. Dallas Stars 2.1%
11. Philadelphia Flyers 1.5%
12. Phoenix Coyotes 1.1%
13. Winnipeg Jets 0.8%
14. Columbus Blue Jackets 0.5%

Let's say next year finishes the same way. I don't think you can have the last playoff team (15th worst) in the lottery all of a sudden with a shot at getting the number 1 pick. So they'll hold the lottery, and then they'll just skip the Devils wherever they end up.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:06 PM
  #517
Championship*
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,499
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
I do think they have to. I mean look at this year's lottery odds:

1. Florida Panthers 25.0%
2. Colorado Avalanche 18.8%
3. Tampa Bay Lightning 14.2%
4. Nashville Predators 10.7%
5. Carolina Hurricanes 8.1%
6. Calgary Flames 6.2%
7. Edmonton Oilers 4.7%
8. Buffalo Sabres 3.6%
9. New Jersey Devils 2.7%
10. Dallas Stars 2.1%
11. Philadelphia Flyers 1.5%
12. Phoenix Coyotes 1.1%
13. Winnipeg Jets 0.8%
14. Columbus Blue Jackets 0.5%

Let's say next year finishes the same way. I don't think you can have the last playoff team (15th worst) in the lottery all of a sudden with a shot at getting the number 1 pick. So they'll hold the lottery, and then they'll just skip the Devils wherever they end up.
I don't think you're getting this. Imagine that for next year, there are only 29 teams in the league.

Championship* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:06 PM
  #518
darko
Registered User
 
darko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: Australia
Posts: 52,761
vCash: 500
Don't feel bad for their fans at all. They'd be laughing at us had this happened to Rangers. They might even have the last laugh if Richards gets injured and we can buy him out.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:07 PM
  #519
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 16,871
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Championship View Post
I don't think you're getting this. Imagine that for next year, there are only 29 teams in the league.
I am getting it. You can't have a playoff team in the lottery. There will be only 29 teams once the final draft order is determined (after the lottery.) If the Devils should make the playoffs it's a moot point.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:07 PM
  #520
clmetsfan
Registered User
 
clmetsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 3,930
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JA#11 View Post
Lou knew about this well before the draft and UFA.

I want to hear if Lou shared that info with his UFAs when he was selling them because that changed the whole outlook of the team and would be pretty misleading if he knew and didn't give them an idea of what was coming down.
If he did and that gets out (at least among the players...it wouldn't even matter if it gets leaked to the media) then it would make Lou a serious pariah when it comes to signing future UFAs. And as shrewd as that man is, I think he would recognize that such a ploy would do more harm than good in the long run.

The Devils would have been an attractive option for a UFA with a pitch of 'Kovy is going to leave, but we've made the playoffs before without star power, and we just got a great young franchise goalie to build around. We may not be Cup contenders this year, but we'll still be a strong team and then we'll have a ton of cap space to get some other real winners in here. Sign here and you'll be playing for a Cup by next season.'

That's a good enough argument to make to not mislead players for a desperation signing and risk becoming known as the biggest liar in the league.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:09 PM
  #521
NYR2007
Registered User
 
NYR2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 648
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Championship View Post
I don't think you're getting this. Imagine that for next year, there are only 29 teams in the league.
He only paid attention in English class. Math must not be his thing

NYR2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:09 PM
  #522
Championship*
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,499
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
I am getting it. You can't have a playoff team in the lottery. There will be only 29 teams once the final draft order is determined (after the lottery.) If the Devils should make the playoffs it's a moot point.
No, it's not after the lottery, since the pick....now read this slowly - DOES. NOT. EXIST.

How can something that doesn't exist be in the lottery?

Championship* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:10 PM
  #523
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 16,871
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
Don't feel bad for their fans at all. They'd be laughing at us had this happened to Rangers. They might even have the last laugh if Richards gets injured and we can buy him out.
That would actually be far worse.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:10 PM
  #524
NYR2007
Registered User
 
NYR2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 648
vCash: 500
they change the percentages for 13 teams instead of 14.

just adjust the percentage rates per team

NYR2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:12 PM
  #525
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,511
vCash: 500
so if kovalchuk wants to return to the NHL with another team, say the Kings for example, will he be allowed to return and in what conditions would take place? The Nabakov rule?

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:33 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.