HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Devils Ilya Kovalchuk Announces Retirement

Old
07-11-2013, 11:12 PM
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
Don't feel bad for their fans at all. They'd be laughing at us had this happened to Rangers. They might even have the last laugh if Richards gets injured and we can buy him out.
Hey, at least we control the destiny of our first round pick this year

Championship* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:12 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR2007 View Post
they change the percentages for 13 teams instead of 14.

just adjust the percentage rates per team

Yeah I'm pretty sure that's what they'll do. Worst team gets like 26% chance of winning the lottery etc.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:13 PM
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
so if kovalchuk wants to return to the NHL with another team, say the Kings for example, will he be allowed to return and in what conditions would take place? The Nabakov rule?
All 30 NHL teams have to approve his return to the NHL

Old
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Championship View Post
Hey, at least we control the destiny of our first round pick this year

True but if Richards sucks and we cant buy him out then we are screwed for a long time.

Old
broadwayblue

Quote:
No, it's not after the lottery, since the pick....now read this slowly - DOES. NOT. EXIST.

How can something that doesn't exist be in the lottery?
No need to try and be condescending. You are correct, the pick does not exist. But the pick isn't determined until AFTER THE LOTTERY. Before that it's just odds for a possible pick. They have to figure out where they would have picked had they actually had a pick. Do you honestly think that the league would allow a playoff team to be included in the lottery, and have a chance to get the #1 overall selection? The only other option would be to reallocate the % that would have been assigned to the Devils in the lottery to the other lottery teams. But why would they do that? They'll just include the Devils in the lottery and then wherever they end up that pick won't exist...or rather it will exist, it will simply be forfeited.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:14 PM
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie

Quote:
True but if Richards sucks and we cant buy him out then we are screwed for a long time.
It could be worse

Old
07-11-2013, 11:15 PM
darko

Quote:

And there is no way that happens. Goodbye Kovy.

Old
07-11-2013, 11:15 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
so he'll never return to the NHL.

if lou wants him back, one of divisional rivals will say no.

If other team wants him, their rivals or Lou would say no.

This sucks, I don't want to see Kovalchuk permanently leave the league, he is the most electrifying player in the game imo. oh well, guess get to see him every 4 yrs.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:17 PM
hockeyjack89
R.I.P. Thrashers

As a former Atlanta Thrashers fan. I guess I can say the trade was actually worth it now? Haha but anyway he was a good player while he was playing in my opinion.

hockeyjack89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:19 PM
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
No need to try and be condescending. You are correct, the pick does not exist. But the pick isn't determined until AFTER THE LOTTERY. Before that it's just odds for a possible pick. They have to figure out where they would have picked had they actually had a pick. Do you honestly think that the league would allow a playoff team to be included in the lottery, and have a chance to get the #1 overall selection? The only other option would be to reallocate the % that would have been assigned to the Devils in the lottery to the other lottery teams. But why would they do that? They'll just include the Devils in the lottery and then wherever they end up that pick won't exist.
I'm condescending because you're not getting it and it's very simple. The pick isn't "determined" because it isn't anything. It doesn't exist in the first place so it cant be determined. They aren't including them in the lottery because as I said before which you either didn't read or read and didn't understand, how can something that doesn't exist be included in the lottery? Only 13 teams will be in the lottery. It's really not that hard to get. I said it before, imagine the Devils don't even exist this year. There is no team in New Jersey. How can something that doesn't exist be included in the lottery.

Does.
Not.
Exist.

Old
07-11-2013, 11:19 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyjack13 View Post
As a former Atlanta Thrashers fan. I guess I can say the trade was actually worth it now? Haha but anyway he was a good player while he was playing in my opinion.
im not so sure. IMO, the departure of Kovalchuk all but secured the Thrashers exit from the league unfortunately. Oduya is a quality top 4 dman, but he isn't even on the team anymore.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:27 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
I'm condescending because you're not getting it and it's very simple. The pick isn't "determined" because it isn't anything. It doesn't exist in the first place so it cant be determined. They aren't including them in the lottery because as I said before which you either didn't read or read and didn't understand, how can something that doesn't exist be included in the lottery? Only 13 teams will be in the lottery. It's really not that hard to get. I said it before, imagine the Devils don't even exist this year. There is no team in New Jersey. How can something that doesn't exist be included in the lottery.

Does.
Not.
Exist.
You keep saying it doesn't exist. I disagree. From what I've read they have to forfeit the pick. To me that's different than it not existing.

As another part of the Devils punishment, they also had to forfeit their 3rd round pick in 2011. If you look at the draft order you will see that pick #69 says (forfeited pick).

Old
07-11-2013, 11:32 PM
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie

Quote:
You keep saying it doesn't exist. I disagree. From what I've read they have to forfeit the pick. To me that's different than it not existing.

As another part of the Devils punishment, they also had to forfeit their 3rd round pick in 2011. If you look at the draft order you will see that pick #69 says (forfeited pick). So let's move forward to 2014. If the Devils don't make the playoffs and don't get included in the lottery, exactly where will they pick in the 2nd round and beyond? DID YOU THINK ABOUT THAT?
Jesus, does this remind anybody else of this?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWvZFVKxPpU

It doesn't matter if you disagree. If I said "As humans we breathe air" and you said "I disagree", you'd be wrong. You're wrong here. You read it wrong. You're not comprehending it correctly at all. This has absolutely NOTHING to do with the 2nd round.

The Devil's 1st round pick next year, does not exist. You seem to not comprehend that. If they finish as the WORST team in the league, they aren't putting them in lottery. Everybody shifts up. 29 picks in round 1. 13 teams in the lottery. Read that slowly.

Old
07-11-2013, 11:34 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Jesus, does this remind anybody else of this?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWvZFVKxPpU

It doesn't matter if you disagree. If I said "As humans we breathe air" and you said "I disagree", you'd be wrong. You're wrong here. You read it wrong. You're not comprehending it correctly at all. This has absolutely NOTHING to do with the 2nd round.

The Devil's 1st round pick next year, does not exist. You seem to not comprehend that.
Yes, I realized that it doesn't effect their second round picks and beyond. But they will still forfeit their first round pick. The odds for the other 13 teams will be effected unless they reallocate. That's what I'm getting at. I guess we'll just wait and see how it's handled.

Old
07-11-2013, 11:35 PM
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie

Quote:
Yes, I realized that it doesn't effect their second round picks and beyond. But they will still forfeit their first round pick. I guess we'll just wait and see how it's handled.
No need to wait and see because we sane people already have the answer.

Quote:
Yes, I realized that it doesn't effect their second round picks and beyond. But they will still forfeit their first round pick. The odds for the other 13 teams will be effected unless they reallocate. That's what I'm getting at. I guess we'll just wait and see how it's handled.
THIS IS THE ANSWER.

Old
07-11-2013, 11:37 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
No need to wait and see because we sane people already have the answer.
So are they reallocating the percentages of the other 13 teams or just removing whatever the Devils percentage would be?

Old
07-11-2013, 11:39 PM
darko

Quote:
So are they reallocating the percentages of the other 13 teams or just removing whatever the Devils percentage would be?

They'd have to reallocate you'd think. Worst team gets like 26% chance of winning lottery and so on. It's a moot point if Devils make playoffs.

Old
07-11-2013, 11:40 PM
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie

Quote:
The Devils don't exist so how could they have a percentage?

If the bottom 5 teams were this:
1. Devils 0 points
2. Panthers 1 point
3. Avs 2 points
4. Lightning 3 points
5. Oilers 4 points

Then the lottery would be this
1. Panthers 1
2. Avs 2
3. Lightning 3
4. Oilers 4
5. Canes 5

Old
07-11-2013, 11:43 PM
darko

While it sucks for Devils to lose a player like Kovy I don't think it's that bad. He was owed something like 77 mill. Imagine paying a winger 11 mill per year especially when you are cash strapped like Devils are. They have to take a cap hit of 250K for next dozen years which is not much at all. Had Kovy pulled this stunt next year Devils cap hit would've been 3+ mill.

Old
07-11-2013, 11:45 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
The Devils don't exist so how could they have a percentage?

If the bottom 5 teams were this:
1. Devils 0 points
2. Panthers 1 point
3. Avs 2 points
4. Lightning 3 points
5. Oilers 4 points

Then the lottery would be this
1. Panthers 1
2. Avs 2
3. Lightning 3
4. Oilers 4
5. Canes 5
So you're saying that there simply won't be 100% in the hopper? If the Devils don't make the playoffs there will only be 99.5% represented and all the other teams that finished below them among the bottom 14 will simply move up and get the % equal to one place higher.

Old
07-11-2013, 11:46 PM
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie

Quote:
While it sucks for Devils to lose a player like Kovy I don't think it's that bad. He was owed something like 77 mill. Imagine paying a winger 11 mill per year especially when you are cash strapped like Devils are. They have to take a cap hit of 250K for next dozen years which is not much at all. Had Kovy pulled this stunt next year Devils cap hit would've been 3+ mill.
Money wise its a huge positive. Unfortunately that doesn't relate to the on ice effects this will have. I read this today:

THE STATS GUY ‏@TH2NSTATSGUY 8h
Kovalchuk & Clarkson scored 27% of the Devils goals over the last 2 seasons.....now it's up to Clowe & Ryder.

Thats pretty big.

Old
07-11-2013, 11:48 PM
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie

Quote:
so you're saying that there simply won't be 100% in the hopper? If the devils don't make the playoffs there will only be 99.5% represented and all the other teams that finished below them among the bottom 14 will simply move up and get the % equal to one place higher.
yesssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old
07-11-2013, 11:50 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
yesssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well why didn't you just say that!

Not going to start another debate at nearly 1:00am, but I think that certain lottery teams (all the teams who finished worse than NJ) could argue that method isn't fair.

Old
07-11-2013, 11:53 PM
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie

Quote:
Well why didn't you just say that!

Not going to start another debate at nearly 1:00am, but I think that certain lottery teams could argue that method isn't fair.
It is what it is, I don't think teams in the lottery would mind one less ball in the hopper while trying to get that top pick.

I'm just glad its not us.

Old
07-11-2013, 11:54 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
It is what it is, I don't think teams in the lottery would mind one less ball in the hopper while trying to get that top pick.

I'm just glad its not us.
We are clearly in agreement on that. Sucks not having a 1st rounder.