Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Russia
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Official Player Inquiry Thread

Old
07-12-2013, 02:26 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

vCash: 500
I'm wondering if there's any Avangard fans who know Belov's game well that can fill me in on how he plays.

Offensively? Defensively? Powerplay? Puck-moving ability? Battle level along boards? Etc.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 09:11 AM
SoundAndFury

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post
I'm wondering if there's any Avangard fans who know Belov's game well that can fill me in on how he plays.

Offensively? Defensively? Powerplay? Puck-moving ability? Battle level along boards? Etc.
I think a lot of guys have seen him a lot since Avangard is a big market team and played many many games in the PO. But since the game in the NA is so much different I don't think you can get a definite answer here.

Very good skater for his size, no problem there. Offensively he's good, he has a good shot, is a good passer and sound puck mover. I think these qualities of his are at the level of a top-4 NHL D-man already. It remains to be seen if he can survive in his own zone though because the game is much different in NA. If he learns to use his huge frame I can see him becoming a legit top-4 D but it will take some time. He can definitely be used on the power play but if EDM will use umbrella formation on PP he's not the best option because well, you don't see too many 6'4" D playing on it.

Long story short, he has all the tools of top-4 D but his ability to adapt to NA game will determine his success. But he will have to change his style, his mentality, play more games than ever before and take a lot more banging than ever before.. I would be surprised if he made an instant impact, patience will be required.

07-16-2013, 08:29 PM
loyaloil

Anton Belov

What will he bring to the oilers?

loyaloil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 03:28 AM
SoundAndFury

Quote:
Originally Posted by loyaloil View Post
What will he bring to the oilers?
>>>>

Quote:
Originally Posted by obskyr View Post
He's a two-way d-man who basically led his team for the last couple of seasons. Without him and Rämö Avangard wouldn't get as close to the Cup as it did back in 2012. I'm not sure if he's able to fix the Oilers defense, but if you want to compare it to his role in another trainwreck of a defense, namely the Team Russia at this year's WC, he was the last person to be blamed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundAndFury View Post
I think a lot of guys have seen him a lot since Avangard is a big market team and played many many games in the PO. But since the game in the NA is so much different I don't think you can get a definite answer here.

Very good skater for his size, no problem there. Offensively he's good, he has a good shot, is a good passer and sound puck mover. I think these qualities of his are at the level of a top-4 NHL D-man already. It remains to be seen if he can survive in his own zone though because the game is much different in NA. If he learns to use his huge frame I can see him becoming a legit top-4 D but it will take some time. He can definitely be used on the power play but if EDM will use umbrella formation on PP he's not the best option because well, you don't see too many 6'4" D playing on it.

Long story short, he has all the tools of top-4 D but his ability to adapt to NA game will determine his success. But he will have to change his style, his mentality, play more games than ever before and take a lot more banging than ever before.. I would be surprised if he made an instant impact, patience will be required.

SoundAndFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 12:10 AM
connor macdavid
Press Box Rat

vCash: 400
Two former Sens draft picks from Russia - Can anyone tell me where they are now?

i) Ruslan Bashkirov, 60th overall in '07
ii) Kirill Lyamin, 58th overall in '04

Couldn't find ANYTHING on Bashkirov, heard Lyamin was back in Russia.

Thanks

connor macdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 07:55 AM
kp61c

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonsOnIce96 View Post
Two former Sens draft picks from Russia - Can anyone tell me where they are now?

Thanks
lyamin plays for avangard in the khl
http://www.khl.ru/players/516/
bashkirov for hc ryazan in the vhl
http://www.vhlru.ru/players/14876/

kp61c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 08:05 AM
obskyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonsOnIce96 View Post

Thanks
Bashkirov fell a victim of his father's ambitions to pair him with his (twin) brother Roman, who wasn't very good. They do play together now, but in the VHL and without positive outlooks for Ruslan in the future. Blame Canucks.

Lyamin signed for two more years with Omsk during this summer. He's doing fine there, but he also isn't someone NHL should really miss.

obskyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2014, 04:17 AM
JetsAlternate

What is the current contract status of Sergei Shirokov?

JetsAlternate is offline   Reply With Quote