HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Derek Roy agrees to 1 year deal

Old
07-08-2013, 06:44 PM
jarmoismyhero

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrude View Post
I don't think they signed Roy and then went, "Oops, we got to get rid of somebody else." Pretty sure if we wind up moving Halak/Perron/Stewart/whoever, that we were already heading in that direction anyway.
The reason I am skeptical of the signing is the same as Hooligan…And it may be the case that we were already planning on trading Stewart or Perron however what this signing does is make it to where if we trade them it is most likely going to be for picks/prospects which is not what I was hoping for if either got traded.

jarmoismyhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 06:56 PM
Bluesman91

vCash: 2357
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExJbeck View Post
As much as everyone says "He only cares about his paycheck." I could care less with the attitude he brings as long as he is playing his best hockey. I'd be more than happy to see him succeed on the Blues and earn a fat paycheck for another team next year and we just sign Stastny. I love the signing so far.

Bluesman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 07:00 PM
illninofan*
Jimmies = Unrustled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman91 View Post
As much as everyone says "He only cares about his paycheck." I could care less with the attitude he brings as long as he is playing his best hockey. I'd be more than happy to see him succeed on the Blues and earn a fat paycheck for another team next year and we just sign Stastny. I love the signing so far.
Exactly, even if he has selfish motivations, it bodes well for us.

illninofan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 07:18 PM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor

My biggest concern regarding Roy has always been whether the various injuries/surgeries he's endured are going to permanently erode his effectiveness as a player. With the information we have, all we can do is speculate on that front, although I'd like to believe that the Blues have put in their due dilligence there.

As a fan, I'm generally encouraged by the signing even though Roy wasn't near the top of my personal wish list. The Blues correctly identified the center position as an area that needed upgrading, and I believe they did that even if Roy doesn't return to his PPG form. As for the other options out there, the only one that I'm convinced would have been a significantly better addition for the Blues was Lecavalier. Weiss, Filppula, Grabovski, Ribeiro, etc. all have their own questions to answer.

As an aside, I disagree with those who believe that this move is symptomatic of the "same old Blues" front office mentality of years past. Unlike previous iterations, this front office has consistently identified and addressed areas of need for the team. If the Blues don't make it past the second round this year, it's not going to be because the team isn't talented enough to do it, or because they have a glaring roster weakness.

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 07:29 PM
simon in canada

I admit that I am biased in favour of bigger and tougher teams, but signing not one, but, two 5'9" forwards, doesn't this bother anyone else? Now I am reading stuff about trading Stewart(6'3"), Berglund (6'4") or Perron (6'1") to make room for cap space... it just seems like we are getting a lot smaller. It could be me just being silly about it, but I'm very uneasy with this trend. ( Oh, please no "size doesn't matter in the new NHL" lectures. It does!)

simon in canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 07:50 PM
Alklha

vCash: 50
Adding one small centre doesn't really make a difference, particularly if his wingers are Steen and Stewart.

Same goes for Aucoin. If he is on the NHL roster next season, then he'll be lucky to play in half the games and his linemates won't be small!

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 07:55 PM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon in canada View Post
I admit that I am biased in favour of bigger and tougher teams, but signing not one, but, two 5'9" forwards, doesn't this bother anyone else? Now I am reading stuff about trading Stewart(6'3"), Berglund (6'4") or Perron (6'1") to make room for cap space... it just seems like we are getting a lot smaller. It could be me just being silly about it, but I'm very uneasy with this trend. ( Oh, please no "size doesn't matter in the new NHL" lectures. It does!)
I tend to disagree, style of play is just as important as the size of a player. Perron is more willing than the bigger Berglund and Stewart to go to the dirty areas. Oshie and Sobotka play better defense than everyone named above despite being smaller than almost everyone on the team. Additionally, Roy is replacing McDonald, and he is a far more accomplished defensive and physical player than McDonald was.

Size certainly has its advantages (durability, ahem Oshie and Steen), but I think we have a very good mix at this point. No team has 12 forwards who are 6'3", 220. And Im more worried about how our defense matches up with big teams like Anaheim and LA. But we got some big guys (Stewart,Bergy, Backes, Lap, Reaves), some average sized guys (Porter, Oshie, Steen, Tara, Perron) and we have some small guys (Sobie, Schwartz, Roy)

Crumblin Erb Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 08:12 PM
Mike Liut

If the Blues can keep the team as it is, it's a way better team than last. I love the mix. Roy will lead the Blues in scoring and Frank and Schwartz will be even better. Plus a full year of JayBo and Leo. I hope they can shed Halak though. Plus you have Jaskin for a call up. Love this teams potential.

Mike Liut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 09:00 PM
Meatwagon
Blues=Overrated

Quote:
Roy is on the small side, but Aucoin will likely never see the ice in a Blues uni, he is most likely a signing for the top line in Chicago. He's a great AHL player and a borderline NHLer, think Hensick.

Being small isn't necessarily a bad thing, Sobotka is barely 5'9" and he plays bigger than most players on our roster. Being small only matters when you shy away from contact like McDonald did last year. Roy may not be a bruiser, but he also is known to be a feisty player, who some Buffalo fans said, plays with a reckless abandon, al a Oshie. Which may have lead to his shoulder injury.

Also I don't really like that quite a few people are saying Roy is injury prone. He missed a big chunk of the 10-11 season because of a serious injury and that's really about it, he may have missed 1-4 games a season his previous 6 seasons, but that's pretty typical for any NHL player. Most will defend Perron after missing 80+ games after his concussion, when people call him injury prone. How is this any different? He did play hurt last year and was still a solid producer, not like his previous PPG pace, but would still have been top 3 on the Blues with 28 pts. This signing has a chance to be great with very little downside. If he plays like last year he scores 55-60 pts and if he regains his normal form he could lead this team in points and for 4 million for 1 year, that's a pretty good gamble.

Does anyone here really want Army to sign a Clarkson or Horton type deal for a marginal upgrade? Both of those deals will look absolutely horrible in 3-4 years and will be god awful for 3 more years after that. Almost Pujols bad

Meatwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 09:01 PM
rrude

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarmoismyhero View Post
The reason I am skeptical of the signing is the same as Hooligan…And it may be the case that we were already planning on trading Stewart or Perron however what this signing does is make it to where if we trade them it is most likely going to be for picks/prospects which is not what I was hoping for if either got traded.
I get it, but I am not sure if the return on Stewart (only occasionally plays up to his potential) or Perron (has never reached what people thought was his potential) was going to be much greater than a Weiss tier player anyway. And then we are back where I started.

Hey, I wanted to see a game-changing trade as much as anybody, but in lieu of that, I feel like the front office is trying to address needs. We have a surplus of NHL caliber players so we could make a bigger deal at some point.

rrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 09:59 PM
STL Blues Fan

Good signing hopefully. But like rrude said, we do ave a surplus of NHL players so we could possibly get some money off the books and make a huge trade. Of course I still like most of our team so I wouldn't want to get rid of to many people.

STL Blues Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 10:43 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
Quote:
If one of those guys IS traded, one assumes Jaskin comes into the line-up on the 3rd line. That's some size, too.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 01:42 AM
h22prelude93

After reading a lot of your guys intelligent comments I must admit I am starting to warm up a little bit to the idea of Roy being on this team. Although I wouldn't consider it a sure thing upgrade it does certainly make things more interesting and should give us more options and possibilities for improvement moving forward. I still don't like the other two signings but I hope they prove worthy moves also. I guess as a Blues fan I'm just growing tired of all the question marks, but I have faith that Army is doing everything in his power to bring the final pieces together by all means necessary.

h22prelude93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 04:09 AM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

Does anybody know when this physical test will be?

frostyflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 04:33 AM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by h22prelude93 View Post
After reading a lot of your guys intelligent comments I must admit I am starting to warm up a little bit to the idea of Roy being on this team. Although I wouldn't consider it a sure thing upgrade it does certainly make things more interesting and should give us more options and possibilities for improvement moving forward. I still don't like the other two signings but I hope they prove worthy moves also. I guess as a Blues fan I'm just growing tired of all the question marks, but I have faith that Army is doing everything in his power to bring the final pieces together by all means necessary.
I think it was a great move. Roy will play hungry, as he's on a "prove it" contract. He's a very good passer/set-up man. He will be the centre to feed whatever two wingers he has, and help them score in the high 20s or 30s, and will also help our other forwards and defencemen score more on the PP. IF he stays healthy, I see The Blues scoring a LOT more goals this season, as his being added to HIS line boosts his line, but also knocks good players down to the other 2 scoring lines, improving those lines. All those lines having better forwards will also help the defencemen gather more assists, and be better scoring options, as the opposing defences will have to concentrate more on all our forwards on all our lines.

This signing makes the team significantly better as long as Roy is healthy, and plays his normal game.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 12:00 PM
nicholas89alex

vCash: 333
call me crazy but I think our top 9 forwards can average 20 goals apiece this year. our bottom 3 could score 5 a piece easy and our defenseman should average around 8 each. so im predicting 240 goals for the blues this year.

nicholas89alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 12:26 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas89alex View Post
call me crazy but I think our top 9 forwards can average 20 goals apiece this year. our bottom 3 could score 5 a piece easy and our defenseman should average around 8 each. so im predicting 240 goals for the blues this year.
and 100 wins! (OK, I'll settle for 98.)

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 12:39 PM
SteenMachine

I don't know how anyone can even waste time complaining about Roy as a player or a signing when he was the back up plan for Jori Lethera, not Weiss, not Lecavalier, not some blockbuster Perron+ trade. Those other options came available by coincidence and St. Louis was never in a position to bid up, just make an offer and see who bites.

San Jose has to re-sign all of Thornton, Pavelski, Boyle, and Marleau as UFAs next season and we'll have ~ $15-20M in cap space to bring back Steen, a starting goalie, Bouwmeester (obvious paycut), and Berglund. That leaves quite a bit of room to go after a way better option when they're actually available.

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 12:39 PM
nicholas89alex

vCash: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
and 100 wins! (OK, I'll settle for 98.)
im just trying to be optimistic. but I really don't think its that much of a stretch. if Backes can get into form he'll get 30 goals. Stewart with a playmaker like roy should get 30 goals. Tarasenko should have a good year in his second year and hopefully reach 20 goals. Oshie, Perron, Berglund, and Steen shouldn't have a problem reaching 20 goals. so Schwartz and Roy would only need 10 goals a piece to get the top 9 averaging 20 goals. sobotka, cracknall, and reaves will be able to get 5 a piece I hope. shattenkirk, petro, and jaybo should be getting 12 goals each, while jackman and polka get 3 each ad Leopold gets 6. maybe im just overly optimistic but these numbers don't seem insane to me.

nicholas89alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 02:16 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas89alex View Post
im just trying to be optimistic. but I really don't think its that much of a stretch. if Backes can get into form he'll get 30 goals. Stewart with a playmaker like roy should get 30 goals. Tarasenko should have a good year in his second year and hopefully reach 20 goals. Oshie, Perron, Berglund, and Steen shouldn't have a problem reaching 20 goals. so Schwartz and Roy would only need 10 goals a piece to get the top 9 averaging 20 goals. sobotka, cracknall, and reaves will be able to get 5 a piece I hope. shattenkirk, petro, and jaybo should be getting 12 goals each, while jackman and polka get 3 each ad Leopold gets 6. maybe im just overly optimistic but these numbers don't seem insane to me.
I think that The Blues should score 240 goals. Maybe they won't come in the exact totals you listed. But those totals shouldn't be far off. I'd expect 17-20 goals for Roy and 16-18 for Schwartz. There will likely be some injuries which will take some away from some, and give more to others, through greater playing time.

Old
07-11-2013, 02:01 PM
ikeman79

Roy with Tarasenko and Stewart could get vlad 30 goals and Stewart 40 I could see it making both 30 goal scorers easy.

Let us not forget Roy is on a one year contract and needs to prove himself to get his next contract whether it be here or there. Roy will be highly motivated to get himself a multi year deal somewhere. I'm guessing 60-85 points out of Roy. Blast away everybody, but I thinks it possible pretty easy.

ikeman79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 02:07 PM
wilco5886
Come On You Spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikeman79 View Post
Roy with Tarasenko and Stewart could get vlad 30 goals and Stewart 40 I could see it making both 30 goal scorers easy.

Let us not forget Roy is on a one year contract and needs to prove himself to get his next contract whether it be here or there. Roy will be highly motivated to get himself a multi year deal somewhere. I'm guessing 60-85 points out of Roy. Blast away everybody, but I thinks it possible pretty easy.
I like your optimism, but the cynic in me says you should temper your expectations. Also, Stewart and Tarasenko are both RWers.

wilco5886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 02:16 PM
ikeman79

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilco5886 View Post
I like your optimism, but the cynic in me says you should temper your expectations. Also, Stewart and Tarasenko are both RWers.
You may be right. I think its highly possible though.

I know they are both rw, I just think Stewart could play his off wing better than Tarasenko. I'd put the snipers with the passer at all times considering that Roy is the best playmaker we have had since Weight, or Turgeon.

ikeman79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 02:29 PM
wilco5886
Come On You Spurs

Looks like he passed the physical.

http://blues.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=677059

wilco5886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 02:29 AM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilco5886 View Post
Looks like he passed the physical.

http://blues.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=677059
Great news! (they couldn't get Perron back just because Roy would fail his physical)

Let's hope he stays healthy and sets up a LOT of goals for Stewart and his left winger.