HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Trade and Proposals Thread XXXVII: Is MacT mostly done?

Closed Thread

Old
07-12-2013, 01:20 AM
HeavyHitter99

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post
He's a very good 3rd line player whose stats were inflated due to 1st/2nd line role on a bad FLA team. His value is thus overinflated and the overpay it would take to acquire him would never be worth the numbers and game he brings in a 3rd line role in EDM. Esp. with Gordon as his C.
He also put up good numbers in his last season with Chicago but I agree that his price tag would be over inflated. But if we somehow could swap Hemsky for him I would do it. Panthers wouldn't though lol

Old
07-12-2013, 01:21 AM
Puritania

vCash: 1206
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
By how much would you overpay for Boyle?

It certainly solidifies the center position.
Not too much, he is a bit of a gamble, but I think he could be had for a decent price. He's a UFA next year to boot.

Old
07-12-2013, 01:25 AM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post
There is no one piece the Oilers would offer that would make the Blues consider moving Sobotka. Top-5 bottom-six player in the league.
They probably could but we know that's a pipe dream. I was responding the the "I dont care how we get these three guys here" post...

As for Kopecky, I honestly dont think his value is overinflated. I think he could probably be had for something decent. Not anything special. He's a very utilized player for sure. He can play up if needed but talk about a pretty good bottom six guy. And to think, Detroit had to let him walk at one time. Which brings up a point in itself. There's going to be some guys come waiver time, who are going to be available that normally wouldnt. Detroit for instance again, might lose a guy like Emmerton for nothing. They'll probably hold onto him until they know Helm is good to go, then try to unsuccessfully trade him in late September and basically have to waive him. He evolved into a pretty good 4th line C this past season and might be available for a claim.

They'll be some guys out there this year who are a little better than your normal waiver guys, just due to a numbers game going on right now with more than a few teams.

Old
07-12-2013, 01:28 AM
HeavyHitter99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritania View Post

Brown is a moustache with fists, the guy is a tough son of a *****. Crap on his offensive and defensive abilities, but fisticuffs are what he excels at.

As for Eager, he had a rough go ever since Tulupov concussed him, but from all accounts he has been a soldier for OKC and I'm definitely willing to give him another shot. If he got his mojo back, I could see him dropping the gloves more often. He's a pest, and a chippy guy who can take care of himself when things get rough.
Oh I don't doubt any of that but they won't ever inflict beat downs. Steve mcintyre inflicted beat downs. All this stuff you just said is nice and all but has absolutely nothing to do with inflicting beat downs which is what I was saying

Old
07-12-2013, 01:33 AM
HeavyHitter99

Hemsky + rajala to Columbus for Foligno

Old
07-12-2013, 01:34 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewster View Post
Is anyone kinda pissed we didn't (seemingly) make a run at Halischuk? Seems like the quintessential MacT bottomer sixer and scored 15 goals last full season.
Well I'm pissed off about a lot of UFA players that the Oilers didn't sign.

Halischuk was right at the top of my "moneypuck" list of good risk/reward players to take a shot at.

Others I would have taken a shot at:

Pouliot
Bouchard
Grabovski
Ryder
Cullen
Stalberg
MacArthur
Antropov
Penner
Mueller
Cleary

... and that's just some of the forwards.

I also liked some of the big $ UFA players available... Iginla, Horton ect but obviously you can't always get the big names who either plain wouldn't come to the Oilers or were ridiculously overpriced (Clarkson).

Of course we really don't know for sure which of the more affordable UFA players the Oilers might have been in on... but it does seem by some of the signings that there were some reasonably cheap deals out there that the Oilers could have taken a shot at.

I guess MacT can't be perfect like us though and make this into a Cup contender in one draft and a couple days of free agency... too bad.

Old
07-12-2013, 01:39 AM
Puritania

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyHitter99 View Post
Oh I don't doubt any of that but they won't ever inflict beat downs. Steve mcintyre inflicted beat downs. All this stuff you just is nice and all but has absolutely nothing to do with inflicting beat downs which is what I was saying
Well sure, Mac was a warhead. If you expect these guys to KO the Chara's and Matt Kassian's of the world you'll be disappointed. They can still lay beat downs on the middleweights and light heavyweights of the league. Tye McGinn can attest to that.

Old
07-12-2013, 01:41 AM
HeavyHitter99

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Well I'm pissed off about a lot of UFA players that the Oilers didn't sign.

Halischuk was right at the top of my "moneypuck" list of good risk/reward players to take a shot at.

Others I would have taken a shot at:

Pouliot
Bouchard
Grabovski
Ryder
Cullen
Stalberg
MacArthur
Antropov
Penner
Mueller
Cleary

... and that's just some of the forwards.

I also liked some of the big $ UFA players available... Iginla, Horton ect but obviously you can't always get the big names who either plain wouldn't come to the Oilers or were ridiculously overpriced (Clarkson).

Of course we really don't know for sure which of the more affordable UFA players the Oilers might have been in on... but it does seem by some of the signings that there were some reasonably cheap deals out there that the Oilers could have taken a shot at.

I guess MacT can't be perfect like us though and make this into a Cup contender in one draft and a couple days of free agency... too bad.
Bouchard???? Wtf for?

Old
07-12-2013, 01:46 AM
HeavyHitter99

Quote:
Well sure, Mac was a warhead. If you expect these guys to KO the Chara's and Matt Kassian's of the world you'll be disappointed. They can still lay beat downs on the middleweights and light heavyweights of the league. Tye McGinn can attest to that.

Sigh ok man whatever you say. Eager is a heavy weight btw so he should be able to beat the crap out of middle and light weights. When brown and eager inflict "beat downs" this season I expect you to come point it out to me and I hope you do. But it wont. Anyways this is getting off topic.

Old
07-12-2013, 01:54 AM
HeavyHitter99

Btw don't use Mcginn as evidence. Not a fighting threat at all.

Old
07-12-2013, 02:02 AM
Puritania

Quote:
Sigh ok man whatever you say. Eager is a heavy weight btw so he should be able to beat the crap out of middle and light weights. When brown and eager inflict "beat downs" this season I expect you to come point it out to me and I hope you do. But it wont. Anyways this is getting off topic.
Don't know why you are coming at me with attitude, I thought we were having a pretty good conversation. I'd rather have a line full of super heavyweights, but MacT has made it clear he wants all four lines to be able to play, so that isn't in the cards, I'm settling for the next best thing. I don't know, I guess Brown, Eags, and Boyle are all shrinking violets? Are you getting hung up with the semantics? I could have easily said fisticuffs, shenanigans, or scraps, but I went with beatdowns.

Quote:
Btw don't use Mcginn as evidence. Not a fighting threat at all.
Why the hell not? I didn't quantify my statements with a base level of toughness. A beatdown is a beatdown, whether it be on MacIntyre or a Sedin. You seem to think I'm expecting these guys to annihilate the top dogs in the NHL. I just want to see some mayhem.

Whatever, I don't want to continue this discussion with the amount of condescension and snark coming my way. Good day to you.

Old
07-12-2013, 02:02 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Quote:
Bouchard???? Wtf for?
Uh... because he has talent and would make the team better.

Ya he's a little guy and a RW so obviously not a perfect fit but I'm not as hung up on size as some are.

Throw him off the list but I'd like cheap/skilled players in the bottom 6 and he fits the skill part of the equation well.

Old
07-12-2013, 02:12 AM
HeavyHitter99

Quote:
Don't know why you are coming at me with attitude, I thought we were having a pretty good conversation. I'd rather have a line full of super heavyweights, but MacT has made it clear he wants all four lines to be able to play, so that isn't in the cards, I'm settling for the next best thing. I don't know, I guess Brown, Eags, and Boyle are all shrinking violets? Are you getting hung up with the semantics? I could have easily said fisticuffs, shenanigans, or scraps, but I went with beatdowns.

Why the hell not? I didn't quantify my statements with a base level of toughness. A beatdown is a beatdown, whether it be on MacIntyre or a Sedin. You seem to think I'm expecting these guys to annihilate the top dogs in the NHL. I just want to see some mayhem.

Whatever, I don't want to continue this discussion with the amount of condescension and snark coming my way. Good day to you.
I wasn't having attitude, snark or being condescending. Just really don't care if they can beat down players like Sedin. Yes it's a beat down though. But yah I agree this conversation should end. It's way way off topic anyways.

Old
07-12-2013, 02:15 AM
HeavyHitter99

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Uh... because he has talent and would make the team better.

Ya he's a little guy and a RW so obviously not a perfect fit but I'm not as hung up on size as some are.

Throw him off the list but I'd like cheap/skilled players in the bottom 6 and he fits the skill part of the equation well.

He is 5'10 170 lbs, a right wing, has struggled with injuries and is a skill only player. The absolute last thing we need and doesn't fill a bottom 6 role at all, not even a little bit

Old
07-12-2013, 02:17 AM
thinlizzy

I can handle Eager just being physical and finishing the check as he also has speed to burn. Brown can handle himself but we still need another guy that can take out the trash, even if he is sitting next to the popcorn machine most nights.

Old
07-12-2013, 02:17 AM
jeetz

I believe the Flyers and the Kings are our targets:

Gagner + Smid

For

COUTURIER + MESZAROS+ COBURN

Oilers use their last compliance buyout for Flyers on Meszaros

Hemsky with half salary retained to LA Clifford + 2 round 2014

Sign Ranger and Smithson

Hall RNH Yak
Perron Couturier Eberle
Clifford Gordon Jones
Smyth Smithson Joensuu
Brown

Coburn Petry
Ference JShultz
NShultz Belov
Ranger

Old
07-12-2013, 02:33 AM
StupidGenius

vCash: 125
I'm pretty sure the NHL stated that trading a player for another team to buy out would be considered cap circumvention, and I think that we don't have a 2014 2nd after the Perron trade.

Old
07-12-2013, 02:36 AM
HeavyHitter99

Quote:
Originally Posted by StupidGenius View Post
I'm pretty sure the NHL stated that trading a player for another team to buy out would be considered cap circumvention, and I think that we don't have a 2014 2nd after the Perron trade.
Who said anything about our 2014 2nd?

Old
07-12-2013, 02:36 AM
Baggers

Anybody else think that Hemsky just became a lot more attractive to the Devils?

Old
07-12-2013, 02:37 AM
jeetz

Quote:
Originally Posted by StupidGenius View Post
I meant we would get the 2nd lol. I did not know about the trade and buyout circumvention rule. Too bad though

Old
07-12-2013, 02:42 AM
HeavyHitter99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggers View Post
Anybody else think that Hemsky just became a lot more attractive to the Devils?
Oh I definately do but they'll probably just sign jagr instead. Hard for the Devils to get Hemsky though since he's going to Columbus along with Rajala for Foligno

Old
07-12-2013, 03:05 AM
Peter Zezel
CDN Werewolf in LDN

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Dandyman View Post
What about Hemsky (we eat half his salary) to Phnx for Antoine Vermette? Very good defensively, great on faceoff, can play as 3rd line shut down c, can score 40-50 pts if played with skilled wingers and serve as a good backup to play on 2nd line if one of the top 2 centers pick up an injury.

Phnx signed Ribeiro as UFA and has Hanzal to fill up the top 2 lines center position. They certainly need skill on the wing and should be happy to move a 3rd line center making $3.85M?
Vermette has been brought up before and I'd do that deal but if the one for Foligno was not the table I'd take it over vermette.

Old
07-12-2013, 03:17 AM
PeakOil
Loyal To The Oil

Quote:
Have you seen Brown fight? The guy is tough and throws like a jackhammer. Remember Tootoo (2nd time I think), he landed about 7 punches in three seconds and then got the takedown. He can certainly lay a "beat down" and is ready, willing and able to go with almost anyone in the league.

Old
07-12-2013, 03:39 AM
Hemsky4PM

I am not sure what MacT's comments about toughness are really about. We have goons who aren't that skilled already -Brown and Eager. We have some functional toughness in Gordon. I think a 4th line C with some edge would suffice. I don't doubt the aggressiveness that Hall, Yakupov, Gagner and Jones bring. They just happen to be non-giants. Our D has Ference and Smid. N Schultz is ok too.

If anything, we need another bottom 6 guy who can play and be aggressive. Fighting ability shouldn't be a requirement. It should be a very easy roster hole to fill. Looking at other teams, and based on Stauffer's suggestion that a waiver pick up might be on the way, there are plenty of possibilities: Talbot, Crombeem, Kaleta, Boyle, Pyatt. All of these guys would be acceptable IMO.

Last edited by Hemsky4PM: 07-12-2013 at 04:04 AM.
Old
07-12-2013, 03:50 AM
Soundwave

If we can't come to an agreement with Gagner that works without an arbitration agreement that lets him go to UFA in a year, I'd rather maybe do something along these lines:

Gagner + Lander + EDM 3rd

for

Ott + Grigorenko

Perron RNH Eberle - offensive line
Hall Ott Yakupov - harder minutes line
Jonesuu Grigorenko Hemsky - soft minutes line
Smyth Gordon Jones - checking line

Last edited by Soundwave: 07-12-2013 at 04:00 AM.
Closed Thread