HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL Discussion - Part II

Closed Thread

Old
07-11-2013, 03:29 PM
Louie the Blue
Because it's a trap

vCash: 500
I feel bad for the fans, but not the Devils due to Lou.

It's also Lou's fault for not giving up the 29th overall pick when he had the chance. The team shouldn't have their penalty diminished or delayed due to Kovalchuk retiring.

Old
07-11-2013, 03:33 PM
Jzk

vCash: 1227
Lol watch Lou send Stewart a offer sheet. But really I hope Kovy signs with SKA today.

Old
07-11-2013, 03:33 PM
BlueDream

Don't have anything against Devils fans but because of Lou and our history with them...I don't feel bad one bit.

The contract was awful in the first place and the first round pick thing is just funny.

Just LOL.

Old
07-11-2013, 03:38 PM
Izzy
JuhaMetsolaForVezina

vCash: 50
Why didn't they give up that 29th overall pick? So stupid.

Old
07-11-2013, 03:52 PM
The Note
Unable To Even

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy Mandelbaum View Post
Yeah I never understood that move. Stupid then and now it looks even worse.

Old
07-11-2013, 04:08 PM
Alklha

vCash: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy Mandelbaum View Post
I remember a lot of their fans defending that move.

Again, nothing against the fanbase, but I find this hilarious. WIll miss Kovy in the NHL though

Old
07-11-2013, 05:36 PM
BadgersandBlues

When my buddy texted me this, I thought he was trolling me hard.

I was shocked when I found out it was true.

Serves NJ right for the whole Cap Circumvention thing. There were a lot of bad contracts given out before the Kovalchuck one, but his was by far the most egregious.

Sucks to be a fan of theirs, Kovalchuck has screwed them both coming and going. They paid a king's ransom to get him, then they lost a 1st and a 3rd over his contract, and now he's leaving. I think it was a total dick move on his part to not make this announcement before the draft, let alone the start of UFA.

The NHL just lost a -really- fun player to watch though, and Gary Bettman deserves some of the blame for that. Without the lockout, who knows if Kovalchuck realizes he wants to go back to Russia.

Old
07-11-2013, 06:23 PM
bluesman11
Robert Johnson

vCash: 300
A guy has the right to be happy, but it is a blow to NJ.

Old
07-11-2013, 06:40 PM
Meatwagon
Blues=Overrated

The Kovy thing doesn't really bother me, I'm sure NJ ownership is extremely happy they don't have to pay that silly *** contract anymore. The biggest thing for me though is that I hope they still lose their 1st round pick this year. But I wouldn't put anything past Lou or Bettman. It would be awesome to watch NJ be the worst team in the NHL and not get the 1st overall pick. That would be a little sweet justice!

Old
07-11-2013, 07:02 PM
Alklha

What is interesting is that Kovalchuk was seen as a reason that they lost Parise to UFA. Looking at the contracts he signed with the Devils, I think Kovalchuk was very upfront with them that this was a very real possibility before he signed. Both contracts had $6m paid in each of the first 2 seasons, and then the real major money came in after the new CBA was to come in. That is a very strange structure for an agent to allow his client to sign.

Old
07-11-2013, 07:09 PM
Bluesman91

Karma for Scott Stevens

Old
07-11-2013, 07:20 PM
SirPaste
Use The Schwartz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman11 View Post
A guy has the right to be happy, but it is a blow to NJ.
I agree a man has the right to be happy but he also has to honor a legal contract that he signs, if he didnt want to be there he shouldnt have signed a 15 year deal. Screw him.

Old
07-11-2013, 07:35 PM
bluesman11
Robert Johnson

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPaste View Post
I agree a man has the right to be happy but he also has to honor a legal contract that he signs, if he didnt want to be there he shouldnt have signed a 15 year deal. Screw him.
I agree, but he's not going to get the money for the remaining years. Now he'll be paid in the KHL and probably make money in endorsements, if they do that sort of thing in Russia. If he wasn't happy, NJ wasn't going to get his best, so this is probably a good outcome even though they lost so many assets. It's really a shame but if he wants to be with his family and still make a very good living, he had that option. I realize we all don't like this possibility for oblivious reasons, but it could happen.

Old
07-11-2013, 07:43 PM
rrude

It's a shame as a hockey fan because he's a great player.

But his time in NJ has had a lot of bad vibes associated with it right from the start. A lot of the old guard (Langenbrunner was most vocal) didn't like the 'star culture' implications bringing in Kovy had. Said it went against the spirit of the team (which had won a couple cups so they could say such things). The contract issue and the punishment they received, which was ridiculous because the league allowed similar contracts to other players. Even the fact that they had him playing almost 30 minutes a game before his injury seemed off and wrong.

On the other hand, no Kovy, no Cup Finals last year so there's that. He must have sensed after they lost Parise that they didn't have a very good chance of competing for a cup and he was stuck there for the rest of his NHL career.

Old
07-11-2013, 07:44 PM
rrude

gotta make you wonder about Ovechkin

Old
07-11-2013, 07:51 PM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrude View Post
It's a shame as a hockey fan because he's a great player.

But his time in NJ has had a lot of bad vibes associated with it right from the start. A lot of the old guard (Langenbrunner was most vocal) didn't like the 'star culture' implications bringing in Kovy had. Said it went against the spirit of the team (which had won a couple cups so they could say such things). The contract issue and the punishment they received, which was ridiculous because the league allowed similar contracts to other players. Even the fact that they had him playing almost 30 minutes a game before his injury seemed off and wrong.

On the other hand, no Kovy, no Cup Finals last year so there's that. He must have sensed after they lost Parise that they didn't have a very good chance of competing for a cup and he was stuck there for the rest of his NHL career.
What other contracts were even close to comparable to what the Devils signed Kovalchuk to? He had all the money in the first 11 years, and then 6 years of earning $550k between the ages of 38 and 44. While other deals were set out to circumvent the cap in some way, nothing was remotely comparable to that.

Also, the Devils are the last team in the League that can complain about decisions going against them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman11 View Post
I agree, but he's not going to get the money for the remaining years. Now he'll be paid in the KHL and probably make money in endorsements, if they do that sort of thing in Russia. If he wasn't happy, NJ wasn't going to get his best, so this is probably a good outcome even though they lost so many assets. It's really a shame but if he wants to be with his family and still make a very good living, he had that option. I realize we all don't like this possibility for oblivious reasons, but it could happen.
I'm sure he'll get some nice extra money advertising MegaFon or whatever else between KHL periods, but I'd imagine he'll get at least $8.7m a year after tax in the KHL now.

Old
07-11-2013, 09:21 PM
SirPaste
Use The Schwartz!

Hossa's contract was pretty similar

Old
07-11-2013, 09:36 PM
BlueDream

The contract was just stupid from the beginning. Both sides should be ashamed of that, as should the NHL. Ridiculous.

Old
07-11-2013, 11:35 PM
rrude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
What other contracts were even close to comparable to what the Devils signed Kovalchuk to? He had all the money in the first 11 years, and then 6 years of earning $550k between the ages of 38 and 44. While other deals were set out to circumvent the cap in some way, nothing was remotely comparable to that.
it took to an extreme an idea that already existed in other contracts, and the league drew a line at this one. It seemed arbitrary to me at the time given all the terrible long term deals going out round then, that mostly seemed then and have proven since to have been mistakes for all parties.

Old
07-11-2013, 11:50 PM
BlueBeard

It was the first contract that the NHL dinged the Devils on. You know, the steaming pile of 17 years of cap circumvention. Don't get me wrong his current contract was just as garbage at 14 but 17 stinking years with something like 8 of them being 550k?

I still think the dumbest contract blunder recently was Holmgren thinking he was signing Pronger to one of these deals and didn't realize it was going to be a 35+ contract. I still love Pronger so it pains me to say this, but Holmgren is lucky Pronger got hurt and can write him off on LTIR every year.

Old
07-12-2013, 05:53 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman91 View Post
Karma for Scott Stevens
Classic.
Lou Lamoriello & The New Jersey Devils.

Old
07-15-2013, 01:29 PM
HANDZ 57
Trap = 4 letter word

vCash: 2238
Anybody think there should be an investigation on the Kovalchuck "retirement"? You knew that the idea behind that contract was for Kovy to play until he was like 35ish and then head back home. Lou and Kovy just conveniently decide to rip up that contract right before the major cap recapture penalty years start? Now whether or not it was him forcing Kovy out early, we'll never know, but I wouldn't be surprised if Kovy still wanted to play a couple more years before heading back...

Old
07-15-2013, 04:36 PM
Chojin
Tiny Panger...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HANDZ 57 View Post
Anybody think there should be an investigation on the Kovalchuck "retirement"? You knew that the idea behind that contract was for Kovy to play until he was like 35ish and then head back home. Lou and Kovy just conveniently decide to rip up that contract right before the major cap recapture penalty years start? Now whether or not it was him forcing Kovy out early, we'll never know, but I wouldn't be surprised if Kovy still wanted to play a couple more years before heading back...
No? Both parties exercised their rights under the CBA; it just happened to be very convenient for all involved. Where's the harm in what happened?

Last edited by Chojin: 07-15-2013 at 05:34 PM.
Old
07-15-2013, 04:37 PM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

Quote:
Except they lose one of the best players in the league. Dude plays as much as a top defenseman. Kovalchuk could make max salary and losing him hurts the Devils rather than helping them.

I think the bottom line is that Kovalchuk signed with a playoff team and the Devils were bad this year and don't look to get significantly better. He wanted out. If someone tried to force him out against his will, the PA would devour them.

Old
07-15-2013, 05:41 PM
Alklha

Quote:
As Chojin said,... it was just a convenient situation for both, I don't see an issue.

My opinion on it is that Lamoriello knew that he might return to Russia from the day he signed the contract and there was a gentlemans agreement about it. I don't see any other logical reason for Kovalchuk's agent to allow the big money years of his contract to only start after the new CBA (which could have included a rollback for all they knew) and why the Devils just let him walk away without any fight.

Even if he had retired at 38, the cap recapture would have been $4.5m for 4 seasons when the cap will likely be close to $100m... I struggle to see the Devils franchise spending that kind of money, so the penalty likely wouldn't have mattered much.

Closed Thread