HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Trade and Proposals Thread XXXVII: Is MacT mostly done?

Closed Thread

Old
07-12-2013, 04:20 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyHitter99 View Post
He is 5'10 170 lbs, a right wing, has struggled with injuries and is a skill only player. The absolute last thing we need and doesn't fill a bottom 6 role at all, not even a little bit
Well nether does Hemsky... and yet he'll likely be sitting right there in that #3RW spot with his 5 million salary. Bouchard would have the same role for 2 million.

Like I said... if we had 4 or 5 bigger guys in the bottom 6... the team can "afford" 1 or 2 smaller skill guys on cheaper salaries who can actually score AND that can slide up the totem pole when there are injuries...and there will be injuries... it isn't a bad plan when taken in context.

Put it this way... everyone here would love Clarkson/Bickell players X6 in the bottom 6 BUT that ain't gonna happen. Either the players that we really want either won't sign here or they cost way too much.

My alternative would be much cheaper players who can still pot a few goals and are at least average defensively mixed in with the "meat" that the Oilers have now (Eager/Joensuu/Brown or another meaty body they may still obtain) and those bigger players obviously don't have much in the way of scoring ability which was a key problem with the Oilers last season.

We seemed doomed to try and squeeze offense out of the same retreads of Smyth/Jones/Eager/Brown and we're throwing guys like Joensuu and Gordon in there who really don't have much of a track record for offense as it is.

Old
07-12-2013, 04:36 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

The Oilers bottom 6 was/is the worst of both worlds... it was soft AND couldn't score last season. They need upgrades in both facets to make this team successful.

If Eager/Jones can make comebacks, that will help a hell of a lot. Joensuu could be a big help as well... but no way to count on that. I think the bottom 6 still needs more scoring skills as well though. If MacT strikes out in meaty players that can score... he has to at least focus on upgrading the skill level down there even if that means some smaller cheap contract players with decent hands. There were/are many of those available in the UFA market. Hopefully he steps up and takes advantage while he can.

Old
07-12-2013, 06:21 AM
Hemsky4PM

vCash: 500
I just had a thought, if RNH is out until say the 10 game mark, they could try Hemsky with Yak and Perron (at C) as a line. If Hemsky produces at all, he might become attractive to other teams...I am not opposed to keeping him as insurance if the offers are garbage.

Old
07-12-2013, 06:31 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
If we can't come to an agreement with Gagner that works without an arbitration agreement that lets him go to UFA in a year, I'd rather maybe do something along these lines:

Gagner + Lander + EDM 3rd

for

Ott + Grigorenko

Perron RNH Eberle - offensive line
Hall Ott Yakupov - harder minutes line
Jonesuu Grigorenko Hemsky - soft minutes line
Smyth Gordon Jones - checking line
That package isn't going to get you Grigorenko, much less Grigorenko + Ott.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
07-12-2013, 06:49 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
Gagner outscored Ott and Grigorenko combined last season and is only 23 or whatever.

Grigorenko is a solid prospect, not exactly a blue chip IMO.

Old
07-12-2013, 07:07 AM
Hoogaar23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
How the hell does Gagner not get you Grigorenko, let alone Gagner+Lander+3rd?

Old
07-12-2013, 07:40 AM
Bergeron47

C'mon people, this is the hockey's future board. Prospects > production

Old
07-12-2013, 08:14 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Gagner outscored Ott and Grigorenko combined last season and is only 23 or whatever.

Grigorenko is a solid prospect, not exactly a blue chip IMO.
Did you really just say this?

Ott was dealt for a more polished Gagner not that long ago.

Old
07-12-2013, 08:18 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritania View Post

Brown is a moustache with fists, the guy is a tough son of a *****. Crap on his offensive and defensive abilities, but fisticuffs are what he excels at.

As for Eager, he had a rough go ever since Tulupov concussed him, but from all accounts he has been a soldier for OKC and I'm definitely willing to give him another shot. If he got his mojo back, I could see him dropping the gloves more often. He's a pest, and a chippy guy who can take care of himself when things get rough.
Well ****, why don't we just get a couple of tough MMA customers and stick them on skates? That would be one hell of a circus sideshow.

Old
07-12-2013, 08:23 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
Well ****, why don't we just get a couple of tough MMA customers and stick them on skates? That would be one hell of a circus sideshow.
Some of those guys are nuts, they might pull a Happy Gilmore

Old
07-12-2013, 08:24 AM
hemskysuncle

Speculation is that one of NJ's defensemen will be available...one of Salvador, Volchenkov or Fayne are most likely per Spector's opinion (I tend to agree).

Out of those three, Volchenkov has the most qualities that the Oilers are looking for.

At the same time, in the wake of Kovie's retirement, NJ will be looking for offensive help. We are looking to deal Hemsky.

Is it too much to assume thata 1-1 deal cannot be made here?

To NJ:
Hemsky 5 M cap hit

To EDM:
Volchenkov 4.25 M cap hit

Both teams get what they need, and NJ now has the room to absorb an extra .75 M in cap, with lots of room to still look into the FAs to complement Hemsky's presence.

If you don't think this is a fair trade, what would you change/add?

Old
07-12-2013, 08:27 AM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskysuncle View Post
Speculation is that one of NJ's defensemen will be available...one of Salvador, Volchenkov or Fayne are most likely per Spector's opinion (I tend to agree).

Out of those three, Volchenkov has the most qualities that the Oilers are looking for.

At the same time, in the wake of Kovie's retirement, NJ will be looking for offensive help. We are looking to deal Hemsky.

To NJ:
Hemsky 5 M cap hit

To EDM:

Both teams get what they need, and NJ now has the room to absorb an extra .75 M in cap, with lots of room to still look into the FAs to complement Hemsky's presence.

Volchenkov is too slow to play In our system. I'd rather just sign Douglas Murray and that's not saying much.

Old
07-12-2013, 08:32 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskysuncle View Post

To NJ:
Hemsky 5 M cap hit

To EDM:

Volchenkov is the poster boy for not giving physical shutdown d-men long-term deals when they are close to 30 years old.

Would not take him. Now if this was his last year of his deal maybe I would if there were no other options for Hemmer, but Volchenkov has 2 more years after this and is primed for compliance buyout.

Old
07-12-2013, 08:34 AM
hemskysuncle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
Volchenkov is too slow to play In our system. I'd rather just sign Douglas Murray and that's not saying much.
Still, Fistric wasn't exactly a lightning bolt on the ice, but it was what the Oilers needed, even if he is not the skill level they needed - Volchenkov is a huge upgrade on him.

Reading his "scouting report" (I mean we all know him well enough already anyways...but...) it basically outlines everything the Oilers D is missing:
http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/...layer.php?2140

Old
07-12-2013, 08:37 AM
Psychoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogaar23 View Post
How the hell does Gagner not get you Grigorenko, let alone Gagner+Lander+3rd?
are you kidding? go ask sabre fans if they'd do grigs + ott. they'd smack you upside the head.....

Old
07-12-2013, 08:44 AM
MinnesotaFats

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post

Derek Roy?! The same guy that could only manage to get a one year deal in free agency?

Christ. Some people's kids...

Old
07-12-2013, 08:44 AM
oiler4ever

Eager really surprised me with his effort in OKC. He was a warrior here. Stay extra time after practices. Who knows this might have been a wake up call for him.

Old
07-12-2013, 08:51 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats View Post
Derek Roy?! The same guy that could only manage to get a one year deal in free agency?

Christ. Some people's kids...
No the same Derek Roy that had 218 points in 277 games the 4 seasons before being dealt.

want to play the contract game ask yourself why Gagner has only been able to get 1 and 2 year deals.

Old
07-12-2013, 08:59 AM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by oiler4ever View Post
Eager really surprised me with his effort in OKC. He was a warrior here. Stay extra time after practices. Who knows this might have been a wake up call for him.
Hopefully he can keep working hard in OKC this year. He has many mountains ahead of him.

Old
07-12-2013, 09:02 AM
MinnesotaFats

Quote:
No the same Derek Roy that had 218 points in 277 games the 4 seasons before being dealt.

want to play the contract game ask yourself why Gagner has only been able to get 1 and 2 year deals.
The same Roy that was dealt at TDD for a c-level prospect and a second and then wasnt even made an offer by the Nucks?

You think if Gagner goes UFA next summer he gets $4m per on a one year deal? Someone will back up the track for him on a long term deal.

Gagner has far more value than Roy. I agree that BUF doesn't do that deal but if you're making that argument based on the assumption that Roy > Gagner you're out to lunch

Old
07-12-2013, 09:08 AM
jadeddog

Quote:

mostly because he keeps going to arbitration actually... gagner has only had 3 contracts: his entry level deal, a 2 year "bridge" deal and then last years 1 year deal.... don't really know what you are proving here, or even what your point is

Old
07-12-2013, 09:14 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats View Post
The same Roy that was dealt at TDD for a c-level prospect and a second and then wasnt even made an offer by the Nucks?

You think if Gagner goes UFA next summer he gets $4m per on a one year deal? Someone will back up the track for him on a long term deal.

Gagner has far more value than Roy. I agree that BUF doesn't do that deal but if you're making that argument based on the assumption that Roy > Gagner you're out to lunch
Sure Gagner has more now, but not when Roy was dealt.

Old
07-12-2013, 09:16 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
mostly because he keeps going to arbitration actually... gagner has only had 3 contracts: his entry level deal, a 2 year "bridge" deal and then last years 1 year deal.... don't really know what you are proving here, or even what your point is
My point if if people think Gagner is going to get Ott and Grigorenko they are clueless.

Old
07-12-2013, 09:17 AM
Petes2424

Quote:

We're talking about Derek Roy correct? Last summer? That polish has dulled on Derek Roy for a couple of seasons now. Gagner is 23 and he's a MUCH, MUCH better NHL player.

Now, you dont trade Ott and Grigorenko for Gagner and that's fair. You dont give up on the player you drafted so highly just last year. I will contend though, Sam Gagner is worth quite a bit more than Steve Ott.

This league is about production. People need to really take a good look at that in itself. Sam Gagner produces and his production is on the upswing. Another important thing for a young player is that he gets better at something every year. That means he cares and he's driven to be better. I will ask that you look up Pavel Datsyuk's fo% early in his career if you want to harp on that. Might not be the ideal size or he might grab some of your player's ice time or whatever. Fact is, he produces and he's getting better.

Neither Ott nor Roy gave that type of production last year. Roy since 2010, Ott Never has.

Old
07-12-2013, 09:22 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

I'd take a look at Prospal. only player in history to lead his team in scoring then be unsigned next year

Closed Thread