HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Russia

Why has Russia so low hockey population ?

Old
06-13-2013, 02:59 PM
Zine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kanadensisk View Post
So a recreational kid can't be "registered" with a hockey school?

Depends on what you mean by 'recreational'. That's an open ended term.

Thing is, you've given zero evidence apart from the IIHF survey itself....a survey you admitted is inaccurate. Weird considering your entire argument is predicated on IIHF accuracy. Otherwise, all you've provided are assumptions with a MOA akin to a creationist claiming "hey, prove god doesn't exist."

What do you think of Tretiaks statement?

Last edited by Zine: 06-13-2013 at 03:40 PM.
Zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 10:10 PM
Mr Kanadensisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Where do YOU live?
I have lived my whole life in Canada.

Mr Kanadensisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 10:16 PM
Mr Kanadensisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post
Well, I'd bet I've more experiences, knowledge/avenues to obtain knowledge than you.

Where do you live? What experiences, knowledge, connections to the topic do you have that would help validate your POV?
I never said I knew more than you about youth recreational hockey in Russia, but rather that you likely know next to nothing about it.

I live in Canada. Having a son that plays at the competitive (rep) level I know a fair bit about kids hockey.

Old
06-13-2013, 10:21 PM
Mr Kanadensisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post
Depends on what you mean by 'recreational'. That's an open ended term.

Thing is, you've given zero evidence apart from the IIHF survey itself....a survey you admitted is inaccurate. Weird considering your entire argument is predicated on IIHF accuracy. Otherwise, all you've provided are assumptions with a MOA akin to a creationist claiming "hey, prove god doesn't exist."

What do you think of Tretiaks statement?
I don't think there is anything here we haven't already covered. Send me a link of Tretiak's statement and I can comment if you like.

Old
06-14-2013, 04:56 AM
Atas2000

Quote:
So a recreational kid can't be "registered" with a hockey school?
Yes, a 'recreational kid' can't be registered with a hockey school in Russia. There is basically none organized recreational hockey in Russia. Kids just go out to play, as do the adults like me. We meet twice a week at an outdoor rink in winter and that's it. There are also kids and adults playing some competitive hockey, but at a very casual level. They are enrolled in some local tournaments, but they are also not registered. Heck, the may have a different lineup every game, have no team uniforms etc.

Atas2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 06:48 AM
Botta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atas2000 View Post
Yes, a 'recreational kid' can't be registered with a hockey school in Russia. There is basically none organized recreational hockey in Russia. Kids just go out to play, as do the adults like me. We meet twice a week at an outdoor rink in winter and that's it. There are also kids and adults playing some competitive hockey, but at a very casual level. They are enrolled in some local tournaments, but they are also not registered. Heck, the may have a different lineup every game, have no team uniforms etc.
Read something about that 300 000 kids participated in youth hockey in Russia.Said so on a government site

Botta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 05:58 AM
Atas2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botta View Post
Read something about that 300 000 kids participated in youth hockey in Russia.Said so on a government site
Just to put it in a perspective. There is a small village where I have relatives. They have an outdoor rink. A guy I know pretty much has rebuilt it by himself after it has fallen apart literally in the 90's. They have teams there: kids, juniors, adults and a mixed team with juniors and adults. They participate in a local tournament there. Still they are not registered players, because it's a pretty casual level. The roster differs from game to game. The kids from the village are free to attend practices, all they need is some gear. It's not a hockey school. If you want to learn some serious hockey you should go elsewhere and they have no opportunity to really practice on a indoor rinks. There are some in the nearby town, but the ppl just can't afford it. It's around $150 per hour to rent the rink. It may not sound like much, but it is for the ppl there.

Still, they organized a game against the local VHL team this winter. Of course it wasn't the VHL top-roster and of course it was a big blowout, but props to the VHLers for caring and doing stuff like that.

There is atotally different picture in urban areas.

So that's the situation right now. There are ppl who do things like that, but there is no real structure or support from above right now. I hope the talking in the FHR will result in some real support for those ppl in the end.

Old
06-15-2013, 12:41 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atas2000 View Post
Just to put it in a perspective. There is a small village where I have relatives. They have an outdoor rink. A guy I know pretty much has rebuilt it by himself after it has fallen apart literally in the 90's. They have teams there: kids, juniors, adults and a mixed team with juniors and adults. They participate in a local tournament there. Still they are not registered players, because it's a pretty casual level. The roster differs from game to game. The kids from the village are free to attend practices, all they need is some gear. It's not a hockey school. If you want to learn some serious hockey you should go elsewhere and they have no opportunity to really practice on a indoor rinks. There are some in the nearby town, but the ppl just can't afford it. It's around $150 per hour to rent the rink. It may not sound like much, but it is for the ppl there.

Still, they organized a game against the local VHL team this winter. Of course it wasn't the VHL top-roster and of course it was a big blowout, but props to the VHLers for caring and doing stuff like that.

There is atotally different picture in urban areas.

So that's the situation right now. There are ppl who do things like that, but there is no real structure or support from above right now. I hope the talking in the FHR will result in some real support for those ppl in the end.
I enjoyed reading your account. Its great that the guy you know is taking the time and considerable effort to make sure that kids and adults in their village have a place where they can enjoy fun hockey throughout the winter. The main thing is to enjoy playing, but if it should occur that one of the kids in the village happens to show some talent, the expansion of youth hockey that is currently going on (even at the early stage) should offer the talented kid a place where he can go, no doubt in another town or city, to see if he can develop his talent.

Yakushev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 05:48 PM
Mr Kanadensisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
I enjoyed reading your account. Its great that the guy you know is taking the time and considerable effort to make sure that kids and adults in their village have a place where they can enjoy fun hockey throughout the winter. The main thing is to enjoy playing, but if it should occur that one of the kids in the village happens to show some talent, the expansion of youth hockey that is currently going on (even at the early stage) should offer the talented kid a place where he can go, no doubt in another town or city, to see if he can develop his talent.
I agree, nice story. Sounds like what we call shinny. You never told us where you live, how come?

Old
06-17-2013, 04:20 AM
Atas2000

Quote:
I agree, nice story. Sounds like what we call shinny. You never told us where you live, how come?
I think it's pretty obvious from my posts that I'm an AkBars fan. My primary home is Kazan, but I travel a lot(always hate to miss playoff time in Kazan).

The situation with youth hockey in Kazan or Tatarstan for that matter is very much different as I wrote. We have a bunch of indoor rinks in Kazan and a lot of outdoor rinks(again) mostly affiliated with schools(no hockey schools). Kids go playing there a lot in winter. We do too. There is a lot of casual hockey. But I've also seen a kid(not older than 4 or 5 probably) with a personal skating trainer at a rink in Kazan. So parents are really serious about the kid's hockey education.

The story above is from a neighboring region the Mari El.

Google helps. I even found one picture of the team:

Old
06-25-2013, 07:14 PM
Zine

Quote:
I don't think there is anything here we haven't already covered. Send me a link of Tretiak's statement and I can comment if you like.
Tretiak said 86K male players exist. As poster obskyr attests to (as I've been saying all along), these numbers correlate to players registered to the FHR. Basically kids over 10 at these schools.

Again:
*U10 aren't registered to the FHR,
*nor are players playing various forms of orgianzed hockey discussed in this thread
*nor is a typical 12 year old taking 'learn to play' classes from places like this
*nor are players in rec leagues like this

Zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 07:13 AM
Sergei DRW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor1990 View Post
According to IIHF 63580 players about 0.05% of the population... ?

143,400,000 People...

Canada 33,476,688 people and over 550K players... 110 million people more than Canada...

The question is where are the other 400k+ of players ? On drugs ? Out of money ? Alcoholics ?
Nice choice of words there, young man....NOT

Ice hockey is simply not a number 1 sport in Russia like in Canada.
Russia competes in all Olympic and non-Olympic sports in all categories, while Canada has only ice hockey.
Their basketball, football, volleyball, handball teams are non-existent or never reach anything big.
Think about it.

Sergei DRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 11:01 AM
Den

I think the other 400K are playing soccer...

Den is offline   Reply With Quote