HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Miscellaneous NHL Talk Part VIII

Closed Thread

Old
07-11-2013, 09:19 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryz4shiz View Post
Anyone else think the Devils new he was going to do this all along? If he waited another year the cap penalty would have been $1.7 million and it would just continue to get worse
I would have expected the Devils would have been a bit more aggressive this offseason had they known Kovy was going away.

Edit: Wait, they had ongoing discussions? And no contingency plan? Odd.

07-11-2013, 09:20 PM
LegionOfDoom91

vCash: 500
Quote:
Anyone else think the Devils new he was going to do this all along? If he waited another year the cap penalty would have been $1.7 million and it would just continue to get worse
Kovalchuk & the Devils have had ongoing discussions about the possibility of it through out the year.

Old
07-11-2013, 09:22 PM
Striiker
Orange and Black

I dislike the Devils but I don't hate them as much as the Penguins, I just wish something like this would happen to them so I could laugh until I pull a stomach muscle and collapse.

This may sound dumb to some people but I think the Flyers have a decent chance to win the D division next season. I know they can compete with the Pens. They were able to beat the Rangers a couple times last season even with Bryz/injured defense/inconsistent offense. The Devils aren't much of a threat anymore. CBJ, CAR, WSH, and NYI don't worry me much either. I think that if they can stay mostly healthy and have decent goaltending, then this team will look pretty good next season.

Old
07-11-2013, 09:26 PM
Bryz4shiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Kovalchuk & the Devils have had ongoing discussions about the possibility of it through out the year.
I'm saying its possible they knew from the get go. They went all in for the Cup before Parise's contract went out and they got within a few games of it.

Old
07-11-2013, 09:30 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
I'm saying its possible they knew from the get go. They went all in for the Cup before Parise's contract went out and they got within a few games of it.
I don't think they knew from the moment he signed the contract that this would happen. They went all in with Parise because they knew the odds were stacked against them of him coming back.

I don't think they were blindsided by the news today like the rest of us but I'm sure they were when these talks first came up in the beginning of the year.

Old
07-11-2013, 09:45 PM
3Fs

I hate the Devils and do not feel sorry for them. I'm just surprised and soooo thankful we didn't win out on the bidding for his services.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/i...retires-071113

Old
07-11-2013, 09:57 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
If he retired next off season, the recapture penalty would be 700k for the next 11 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan8828 View Post
What Kovy did was wrong but it doesn't fall under that. A player can retire whenever he wants, even if he has 12 years left on his contract.
Read the back-and-forth discussion one more time. I wasn't blaming Kovalchuk for that. I totally agree with you that Kovalchuk can retire whenever he wants. It's not like he was ever going to play out the entirety of the deal-- everyone knew that.

Old
07-11-2013, 10:39 PM
The Couturier Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
Read the back-and-forth discussion one more time. I wasn't blaming Kovalchuk for that. I totally agree with you that Kovalchuk can retire whenever he wants. It's not like he was ever going to play out the entirety of the deal-- everyone knew that.
Oops. My apologies.

Old
07-11-2013, 11:23 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan8828 View Post
Maybe Malkin's next
Boy, I'd love that.

Old
07-11-2013, 11:24 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

As much as I hate the Devils, I'm annoyed by the whole thing. I think it is kind of shoddy to leave the team after they had made such a huge commitment to him. I know it's his life and he can do what he wants, but I still think it's low.

Old
07-11-2013, 11:34 PM
MRxBLACK
Charlie don't surf!

vCash: 147
Kovalchuk retires with 816 pts. in 816 regular season games. That's 1.00 PPG for those keeping track at home.

Old
07-11-2013, 11:39 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRxBLACK View Post
Kovalchuk retires with 816 pts. in 816 regular season games. That's 1.00 PPG for those keeping track at home.
PhD in Math over here.

Old
07-12-2013, 12:09 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
PhD in Math over here.
Professor Numbers

Old
07-12-2013, 02:38 AM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Quote:
Originally Posted by hXc Chris View Post
Dont feel sorry for NJD fans at all. I've seen so much "lol Philly signs another Center guess they dont need defense or goaltending" ******** for the last 2 weeks that all I can think now is:

Nothing else to see here folks. /thread.

Old
07-12-2013, 02:49 AM
OzFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrizzle81 View Post
Nothing else to see here folks. /thread.
Kovy's "retirement" made my day. I had a Devils fan on another board giving me a hard time about how bad our management were with cap management since the Vinny signing.

I simply posted that at least the Devils have LOTS of cap space now!!

Old
07-12-2013, 07:44 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Slava Malamud ‏@SlavaMalamud

Sport-Express reported that Kovalchuk and SKA had the terms of his future deal agreed upon back in January. This was a prearranged move.
Unbelievable!

Old
07-12-2013, 07:57 AM
flyershockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Unbelievable!
Not only has Kovy done significant damage to an NHL franchise, he's also made it considerably more difficult on future draft eligible Russians. There was already some of that unspoken bias towards Russians out of fear of a move like this, and this only adds fuel to the fire.

Maybe that was part of the plan by the KHL to keep their players home. Get a big name guy to openly quit on his team and then sit back and watch teams walk away from the younger Russians. I'm kind of torn on the idea of Russians and other Eastern Europeans staying in the KHL. Part of me hates it because I want the best players in the world to be playing in the NHL, but part of me loves it because of what it can do for international hockey. It might actually add some intensity back to the Olympics.

Old
07-12-2013, 08:13 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

It's hard not to paint most Russian players with the same brush, as in years past issues have come up.... and now this... good work.

F.

Old
07-12-2013, 08:19 AM
Curufinwe

Makes me feel a little better about missing out on Nichushkin.

Old
07-12-2013, 08:19 AM
BernieParent

Just tossing this out for conversation: had Kovalchuk retired before the draft, would Nichushkin potentially have fallen further?

For me, it's the timing that is really disrespectful to the Devils organization. If, as that quote states, Kovalchuk made the decision in January, why wait until after the draft and the free-agent frenzy? Creating a hole on the top line before June 30 would have most probably changed several decisions, particularly with FAs.

Old
07-12-2013, 08:28 AM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Yeah ill be avoiding the Russians. Lolalchuk and Burminstrov have scared me enough. Just build with Scandinavian kids and North Americans.

Old
07-12-2013, 08:35 AM
Hiesenberg

vCash: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Just tossing this out for conversation: had Kovalchuk retired before the draft, would Nichushkin potentially have fallen further?

For me, it's the timing that is really disrespectful to the Devils organization. If, as that quote states, Kovalchuk made the decision in January, why wait until after the draft and the free-agent frenzy? Creating a hole on the top line before June 30 would have most probably changed several decisions, particularly with FAs.
If kovalchuk retired, I dont' think Lou trades for Schneider. Obvious statement is obvious

Old
07-12-2013, 08:49 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Can't stop laughing at this

Old
07-12-2013, 08:57 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post

This is something I have a hard time stomaching.

I do think Nichushkin would have fallen big time. Even after he says he ONLY wants to play in NA.... I wonder what the stats are on Russians players saying "I only want to play in the NHL" then *** off to Russia sometime later.

Old
07-12-2013, 09:07 AM
Curufinwe

Burmistrov is going back, too.

Closed Thread