HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Pollock's offer for Potvin

Old
10-28-2006, 01:06 AM
ForsbergForever
Red Rocket

vCash: 500
Pollock's offer for Potvin

During the 1973 draft, Canadiens GM Sam Pollock offered Bill Torrey a package of players for first overall pick Denis Potvin, a deal that was obviously refused. The question being, does anyone know or believe to know what players were offered to the Isles for Potvin.

ForsbergForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 11:12 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

No idea, but I do know that Potvin did not want to go to the Habs and said as much. He likely thought he would get a better opportunity to be a #1 d-man immediately in NY, rather than have to work his way up the ladder in Montreal. Perhaps it was Pollock who withdrew the offer, rather than Torrey refusing it after Potvin's comments.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 12:45 PM
BM67

I know I read something about this not too long ago, but I can't recall which book it was in. The only one I could find with a quick look in a couple of books was that they offered "four good players."

BM67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 01:50 PM
Bring Back Bucky

vCash: 968
Sadly, cooch must have had his internet cut off or something, or he could no doubt let us know what anglophones Pollock wanted to dump and how some anti-French conspiracy kept Lemieux from playing for the Habs from age 6-42.

Bring Back Bucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 02:22 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsberg4ever View Post
During the 1973 draft, Canadiens GM Sam Pollock offered Bill Torrey a package of players for first overall pick Denis Potvin, a deal that was obviously refused. The question being, does anyone know or believe to know what players were offered to the Isles for Potvin.
There is the possibility that the packages were kept private among the parties involved. Here is an article from NHL.com

http://www.nhl.com/futures/2001draft..._nhldraft.html

Here is how it is worded on the hockeydraftcentral site:

http://www.hockeydraftcentral.com/1973/73facts.html

The Canadiens re-positioned themselves by trading for several extra high picks and then offered the Islanders all kinds of deals for the No. 1 choice. Islanders general manager Bill Torrey was not interested, however.

The world's richest horse race. The $12 million Pegasus Stakes Jan. 28, 2017 at Gulfstream Park, Hallandale Beach, Florida. NBC-TV 4:30 - 6:00 pm ET.
MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote