HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Trade and Proposals Thread XXXVII: Is MacT mostly done?

Closed Thread

Old
07-12-2013, 09:25 AM
MinnesotaFats

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Sure Gagner has more now, but not when Roy was dealt.
Disagree. No real empirical way to prove either of our points, but you're free to be wrong. The level of hate for Gagner in here is just weird. I get he isn't ideal for us and he has warts, but it makes people believe some crazy things.

Old
07-12-2013, 09:27 AM
MinnesotaFats

This doesn't really belong here, but a feel good story in Ference. He's a real leader and was loved in the locker room. A lot of B's fans sad to see him go.

http://nhl.si.com/2013/07/11/andrew-.../?sct=uk_t2_a3

Old
07-12-2013, 09:31 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats View Post
Disagree. No real empirical way to prove either of our points, but you're free to be wrong. The level of hate for Gagner in here is just weird. I get he isn't ideal for us and he has warts, but it makes people believe some crazy things.
I actually like gagner, but you aren't get Ott and a top prospect for him.

Old
07-12-2013, 09:32 AM
dem

vCash: 500
Patrice Bergeron signs for a 6.5 caphit.

Surely Sam isn't getting more than 4.5..

Old
07-12-2013, 09:40 AM
MinnesotaFats

Quote:
I actually like gagner, but you aren't get Ott and a top prospect for him.
I agreed with you on that. Already said so. But your claim that Gagner isn't enough because Roy himself was traded for Ottawa is bogus. Roy's value was lower than Gagner's then and now.

Old
07-12-2013, 09:42 AM
poetryingasoline

Quote:
This doesn't really belong here, but a feel good story in Ference. He's a real leader and was loved in the locker room. A lot of B's fans sad to see him go.

stupid onions

Old
07-12-2013, 09:42 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
I agreed with you on that. Already said so. But your claim that Gagner isn't enough because Roy himself was traded for Ottawa is bogus. Roy's value was lower than Gagner's then and now.
That wasn't my claim. My claim was if Ott went for Roy, there is no way that Gagner is enough to bump that value to Ott and Grigo.

Old
07-12-2013, 09:43 AM
MinnesotaFats

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem View Post
Patrice Bergeron signs for a 6.5 caphit.

Surely Sam isn't getting more than 4.5..
He shouldn't, but he probably will. My guess is $5M per over 5 years. Which is pretty on par with what second liner Cs are getting now. Plus he's giving up UFA years. With the cap going up $5M is fair and his contract would still be easily tradable if we manage to ever find a more suitable C

Old
07-12-2013, 09:46 AM
MinnesotaFats

Quote:
That wasn't my claim. My claim was if Ott went for Roy, there is no way that Gagner is enough to bump that value to Ott and Grigo.
Is the gap in value between Gagner and Roy more than Lander and a 3rd? Absolutely. But you're right BUF still wouldn't do that deal.

Just a side note, BUF could be deadly in 3-4 years, especially if Myers returns to form. They've been drafting great the past few years.

Old
07-12-2013, 09:48 AM
RisingSun

I'm guessing 4.75 for 5 years for Gagner.

Old
07-12-2013, 09:50 AM
Petes2424

Quote:
He shouldn't, but he probably will. My guess is $5M per over 5 years. Which is pretty on par with what second liner Cs are getting now. Plus he's giving up UFA years. With the cap going up $5M is fair and his contract would still be easily tradable if we manage to ever find a more suitable C
I would assume that's the ball park number. Between 4.5 and 5.5 somewhere. He's an odd arbitration case due to his games played already.

Old
07-12-2013, 09:54 AM
MinnesotaFats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
I would assume that's the ball park number. Between 4.5 and 5.5 somewhere. He's an odd arbitration case due to his games played already.
It's a worrisome case too because I'm sure his agent will be using his stats and comparables from this year, and that puts him with some very high paid company.

Old
07-12-2013, 10:01 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
It's a worrisome case too because I'm sure his agent will be using his stats and comparables from this year, and that puts him with some very high paid company.
Gagner has never scored more than 49 pts in a season after 6 pro seasons and is average to below average in every other area of his game. If he gets near $5 mil/yr, I don't even.....
It appears that MacT is in a really bad spot here and Gagner's camp knows it. I don't see this ending up well for the Oilers, it's my biggest worry this offseason even moreso than filling the needs of the team.

Old
07-12-2013, 10:10 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Is the gap in value between Gagner and Roy more than Lander and a 3rd? Absolutely. But you're right BUF still wouldn't do that deal.

Just a side note, BUF could be deadly in 3-4 years, especially if Myers returns to form. They've been drafting great the past few years.
Tallinder might've been the smallest yet biggest move they made in a long time. No I don't think he's what he use to be, but he was there for Myers in more than one way from what I gather during that rookie campaign.

Old
07-12-2013, 10:19 AM
Mr Sakich

Since we have Petry, Smid, and SHultlz as right side defence, we have an option to trade one as part of an upgrade. I like petry and think he is improving, Shultz has little vlaue, so the obvious option is Smid

If we retained 1/2 of his salary, he become a very valuable trade chip. I think Philly might trade Coburn straight up for Smid under those conditions.

Petry - Coburn
Ferrence - J Shultlz
Belov - N Shutlz

Old
07-12-2013, 10:20 AM
MinnesotaFats

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Gagner has never scored more than 49 pts in a season after 6 pro seasons and is average to below average in every other area of his game. If he gets near $5 mil/yr, I don't even.....
It appears that MacT is in a really bad spot here and Gagner's camp knows it. I don't see this ending up well for the Oilers, it's my biggest worry this offseason even moreso than filling the needs of the team.
There will be a lot of people that will be pissed if he gets $5M per. It wouldn't bother or surprise me, especially since he'd give up UFA years. Compare that contract to Ribeiro's.

Old
07-12-2013, 10:26 AM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

Quote:

Quote:
Lauren ‏@laurenrudnicki 16h
Maggie had a special surprise visit from her buddy @Ferknuckle tonight. Happiest she's been all day. pic.twitter.com/oX2dPBCBGq
He really does seem to be one hell of a guy.

Last edited by Ol' Jase: 07-12-2013 at 10:36 AM.
Old
07-12-2013, 10:40 AM
Kelevra

Say we are able to sign Grabo, would we trade Gange+schultz for Big Buff? Would Winnipeg?

That would round out our D really well

Old
07-12-2013, 10:43 AM
OilerFan4Life

From the Blues board:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=788

They have an extreme excess of forwards....a few guys that play with a lot of jam. I hope MacT keeps Armstrong on speed dial. Any of Sobotka, Porter, Cracknell, or Reaves would do wonders for our 4th line.

Old
07-12-2013, 10:45 AM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
He's 23. Where are most 23 year olds? If he continues growth, as is usually they case, we could be looking at a $5 million price as a very good contract. Ultimately they need a long term deal. If, of course the Oilers believe in him.

Old
07-12-2013, 10:46 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
There will be a lot of people that will be pissed if he gets $5M per. It wouldn't bother or surprise me, especially since he'd give up UFA years. Compare that contract to Ribeiro's.
Ribiero has had 83,78,71,65 and 63 point scoring seasons and several others that top Gagner's career high along with 49 pts in 48 games last season. If Gagner and his camp are using Ribiero as a comparable, that's beyond laughable.
I think Bozak is a better comparable. Bozak is a good deal older but looking at skillsets, he's not as good offensively as Gagner is but is better defensively and on faceoffs so I think closer to $4 mil/yr is fair market value for Gagner. $5 mil/yr is simply way too much for what he brings to the table.

Last edited by CupofOil: 07-12-2013 at 10:53 AM.
Old
07-12-2013, 10:50 AM
Oilception

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
He's 23. Where are most 23 year olds? If he continues growth, as is usually they case, we could be looking at a $5 million price as a very good contract. Ultimately they need a long term deal. If, of course the Oilers believe in him.
If Sam Gagner gets 5 Million,I wont be complaining, is maybe closer to 4.5 or 4.75? ya but that 0.25-0.5 Million isnt worth losing him, and in the long run wont make that much of a big deal

Old
07-12-2013, 10:50 AM
NeutralZone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
Since we have Petry, Smid, and SHultlz as right side defence, we have an option to trade one as part of an upgrade. I like petry and think he is improving, Shultz has little vlaue, so the obvious option is Smid

If we retained 1/2 of his salary, he become a very valuable trade chip. I think Philly might trade Coburn straight up for Smid under those conditions.

Petry - Coburn
Ferrence - J Shultlz
Belov - N Shutlz
I thought Smid was left. My understanding is this:

Left d: Smid, Ferrence, N Shultz, Belov, Klefbom, Marancin, Musil, Gernat, Nurse

Right d: Petry, J Shutlz, Potter, Landen

I'd say in the short term it's N Shutlz who's going to be redundant and could get shipped at the trade deadline or even this summer. He's a coming UFA anyway. As the prospects develop maybe we'll trade some others on that side. There's a lot of depth on the left side, not so much on the right.

Old
07-12-2013, 10:59 AM
thinlizzy

Gags for the point production he brings isn't worth 5 million. Lack of defensive and faceoff skills bring him somewhere between 4 to 4.5 per year. I would take the arb and see what he can produce this year and use that part of the neg for the next contract. I don't like tying him up at 5 million for 5 years. That is a BOLD move.

Old
07-12-2013, 11:00 AM
nhlisajoke

vCash: 91
Bob Stauffer‏@Bob_Stauffer1m
Antti Tyrvainen is listed on Oilers CapGeek reserve list. He was extended a QO but has signed with Jokerit. Oilers retain rights

Closed Thread