HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Latendresse (merged)

Old
10-28-2006, 12:57 PM
SOLR

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU Seminoles View Post
you sure know a lot about not dominant teams

Remparts are good, but the Vlasic loss sure didn't help. And Loic Lacasse sucking big time didn't help either. Angelo is hurt now but he'll be back dominating the league. Place Latendresse with Angelo and they'll rock the boat for the rest of the year that's for sure.
Angelo and Lats on the same line, a vision of the habs future?

Wont happen, since Lats is playing tonite, therefore hes staying up.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 01:01 PM
Montreal Typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn View Post
Do you remember Steve Bernier?
Your point being?

Bernier finished his junior career and played over half a season in the AHL before making it to the NHL at 20 (almost 21). He was actually ready when he made the Sharks team and made a positive impact.

Latendresse made his NHL team out of camp at 19 and has shown he is not ready for the NHL, being the worst player on his team.

Montreal Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 01:10 PM
Montreal Typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinc View Post
Vincent Lecavalier played a whole year on the fourth line during his first year in Tampa. I guess he turned out ok...
Maybe, but, at 18, he was a much better player than Latendresse is now.

Montreal Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 01:36 PM
fredez

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptainKourage View Post
huh, shut up
My thoughts exactly!

fredez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 01:40 PM
Teufelsdreck

Latendresse is big and talented, a solid second round choice or even low first rounder, but let's keep in mind that he doesn't come close to having high first round draft pick caliber talent on the level of Vincent Lecavalier. Nor does he appear to be as talented as Stephane Richer. The player he most reminds me of is Claude Lemieux.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 01:46 PM
Teufelsdreck

If the Habs didn't have a size deficit, Latendresse would have been shipped back to the Q without a doubt. He had a good preseason but not a sensational one.

Old
10-28-2006, 01:47 PM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

vCash: 1549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
For some reason I don't think Roy likes the kid or likes the Habs.No chance
By the way, Patrick Roy does love the Habs still, that's a stupid assumption to make. He still watches every single habs game and follows them closely and I know this because my ex-gf worked as the secretary for his office for Quebec Remparts. And I was waiting outside of his office for her (very nice office by the way, Marcel Aubut's former office) he came of his office running and panicking because his TV didn't work and he was missing the Habs game. Moreover, this was during the Rempart's game when he still head his functions as General Manager so instead of watching the team he owns and works for, he was catching the Habs game.

Patrick Roy is a habs lover through and through. And he has the Habs jersey he won the stanley cup with hanging on his wall in his office (I don't know which one though).

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 01:54 PM
AH

Latendresse's underwhelming performace thus far will teach people to take pre-season performances with a grain of salt.

....and to think people wanted to stick him on the top line after LAST year's camp. These same people b*tched and whined about how Tender would have been a great fit when the team was struggling at mid point last year.

The guy is essentially a below average 4th liner right now in the NHL. He should head to the WJC in December and then get sent back to the Q (yes he can be sent even if he plays more than 10 NHL games). The guy is clearly lost out there and it's embarrassing.

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 02:06 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshawa General View Post
Here's an idea. I agree with Carbonneau that sending Latendresse back to Drummondville would not benefit him, but if the Canadiens could somehow convince Patrick Roy to acquire Latendresse in a trade, bringing him to the Quebec Ramparts, this could benefit him.
Roy would keep him focused for the whole season, and teach him a thing or two about being consistent and dominant at the junior level, plus the challenge of defending the Memorial Cup, and he also could play in the World Juniors in December.
Judging by his performance the first nine games, he does not look ready for the NHL yet, and playing in Quebec City under Roy may be one of the better options for him.
Believe it or not, I heard a rumour about this, but it won't happen.

By the way, I gotta laugh at you guys who bring up examples of Vinny Lecavalier and Joe Thornton...Not only are they exceptions, but their being rushed hurt them. Thornton can't score a playoff goal, and Lecavalier is extremely inconsistent and has confidence issues.

How about other examples of rushed players? Maxim Sushinski, Pierre-Marc Bouchar...Countless other Mineasota Wild players ruined by being rushed.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 02:12 PM
MoonlightGraham

Thornton and Lecavalier may not be perfect players, but I certainly would take them on my team. Maybe some players were rushed, but Latendresse isn't 18, he's 19. It's a difference. He's here because of his performance during training camp, and because the Habs need a big power forward. Bringning Kostitsyn isn't going to solve that size deficit. There are only 9 games played, give the kid some time to develop. Just because he was given a spot on the team doesn't mean he was expected to score 10 goals in his 10 first games... And it's not like we have a bad start, we're 4-2-2

MoonlightGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 02:13 PM
Evil Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinc View Post
I disagree. Latendresse is here to stay. Vincent Lecavalier played a whole year on the fourth line during his first year in Tampa. I guess he turned out ok...
You can't compare Tenderness to players who were 1st overall selections. Joe Thornton, Lecavalier all these guys dominated there respected jr leagues before commming to the NHL they were all gamebreakers.

Latendresse is not a gamebreaker, this guy was mediocore good in the Q last season and was benched at the wjc. Players of his calabire should finnish there jr careers and then atleast play some minor pro to both learn and earn a spot on the roster. Latendresse is not ready for the NHL.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 02:30 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ted View Post
As much as it pains me to agree your right, Latendresse is on the team for the long haul really, Like it or not, which I don't.

I don't think he earned his spot on this roster at all, but to send him back to jr now would kill his confidence and further stunt his development.
I keep wondering how some people keep coming up with the suggestion that Latendresse didn't earn his spot. I mean, I think I was considered something of a "Latendresse-basher" for most of the time since we drafted him (although I always preferred to think of it as "Latendresse-realist")... and prior to training camp I was definitely 100% against the idea of him making the team. But... even I have to admit that he earned it with his play in camp. And furthermore, I don't have any problem whatsoever with how he is comporting himself so far in the regular season either. So if even a biased "Latendresse-basher" like me thinks he earned it fair and square, I always end up wondering what those of you who think he didn't earn it saw?

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 02:38 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I keep wondering how some people keep coming up with the suggestion that Latendresse didn't earn his spot. I mean, I think I was considered something of a "Latendresse-basher" for most of the time since we drafted him (although I always preferred to think of it as "Latendresse-realist")... and prior to training camp I was definitely 100% against the idea of him making the team. But... even I have to admit that he earned it with his play in camp. And furthermore, I don't have any problem whatsoever with how he is comporting himself so far in the regular season either. So if even a biased "Latendresse-basher" like me thinks he earned it fair and square, I always end up wondering what those of you who think he didn't earn it saw?
I agree with the fact that he earned his spot 100%. I just think he doesn't deserve it anymore.

Old
10-28-2006, 02:47 PM
MoonlightGraham

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
I agree with the fact that he earned his spot 100%. I just think he doesn't deserve it anymore.
It's only been 9 games! 8 of which he spent on the 4th line, and when he played on the second Kovalev was thrown out. He earned his sport during training camp, but we need to be patient with him now. I would wait until january to say if keeping him in Montreal was the right decision.

MoonlightGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 03:03 PM
Evil Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
How many habs prospects walk right on to the roster before there even done jr? Not very many. Latendresse was no huge standout last season in the Q he was good but he was no Radulov. And the WJC well everyone knows how that went.

I dont see how his performence last season anywhere he played warranted a place on this roster. As far as preseason goes he was good in the games he played, but the league is full of borderline players and vetrans that are shaking off the rust, its no 82 game season.

Having said that Latendresse obviously didnt make the team because of his performence last season, and if he did make it because he was impressive in a handful of games in preseason thats a pile. We are a playoff team, we had multiple rookies last season and we have a few waiting in minor pro for there chance. We can afford to take our time with prospects.

Latendresse should have been subject to the same system we have used on all of our young stars(Higgins,Ryder,Komi, Perez,Pleks,).

Old
10-28-2006, 03:08 PM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ted View Post
How many habs prospects walk right on to the roster before there even done jr? Not very many. Latendresse was no huge standout last season in the Q he was good but he was no Radulov.
In PPG, he was 2nd only to Radulov. 43 goals in 51 game without even using his body.

Beatnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 03:19 PM
ToysInTheAttic

I'll give my thoughts on Latendresse.

I don't know why he is playing with the Habs right now, it sure isn't because of his hockey skills. I can't believe that Kostisyn is playing in the minors for this guy. I just hope that Carboneau doesn't pull a Tremblay, and alienate players like Samsonov, to accomodate this player who just isn't panning out.

ToysInTheAttic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 03:22 PM
Evil Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatnik View Post
In PPG, he was 2nd only to Radulov. 43 goals in 51 game without even using his body.
Radulov had a ton more pts, double the +/- as many pims, was the CHL leading scorer, the CHL player of the year, led his team to Qchampionship and memorial cup.

Hes in a whole other league then Tenderness.

Old
10-28-2006, 03:39 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
That's a very interesting thought.

Old
10-28-2006, 03:41 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes View Post
That's a very interesting thought.
I'm a very interesting guy.

Old
10-28-2006, 03:42 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by habhob View Post
I'll give my thoughts on Latendresse.

I don't know why he is playing with the Habs right now, it sure isn't because of his hockey skills. I can't believe that Kostisyn is playing in the minors for this guy. I just hope that Carboneau doesn't pull a Tremblay, and alienate players like Samsonov, to accomodate this player who just isn't panning out.
He seems to be, and I'm sure he'll try to smoothe things over. In fact, I believe he started doing that in the Bruins game.

Old
10-28-2006, 04:03 PM
Garo

Quote:
How about other examples of rushed players? Maxim Sushinski, Pierre-Marc Bouchar...Countless other Mineasota Wild players ruined by being rushed.
Sushinski? He was what, 25 when he joins the Wild?

Bouchard is amazing this season and was very solid last year, even if he had some tough years before, the result is great.

Garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 04:28 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garo View Post
Sushinski? He was what, 25 when he joins the Wild?

Bouchard is amazing this season and was very solid last year, even if he had some tough years before, the result is great.
Sushinski was a bad example maybe...I couldn't think of anyone else at the time because I didn't have any stats in front of me.

Bouchard was ruined man. The kid could have been so much better, alot earlier too.

Old
10-28-2006, 04:29 PM
Chris Chelios

One question : is it too late to send him back to the Q or asfter playing 9 games its already too late?

Chris Chelios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 04:47 PM
Russeltown

My point is that Bernier had the chance to be in a non pressure environment. He had enough time to adapt himself in the NHL to then explode in a very interesting player. Latendresse has 9 freaking games in the NHL, playing around 7 minutes per game with a checking line, and considering he doesn't have a point yet he a bust? In which ****in world are you living in? Give him time, he's there to learn... just like Perezhogin last year....

Russeltown is offline   Reply With Quote