HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Canadiens sign McCarron to ELC

Old
07-11-2013, 09:45 PM
Noori

vCash: 763
I think it's great to get your 1st rounders signed early if they aren't going the NCAA route. Teams get the comfort of having their guy locked down and the player usually gets a nice signing bonus.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:21 PM
Anksun

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noori View Post
I think it's great to get your 1st rounders signed early if they aren't going the NCAA route. Teams get the comfort of having their guy locked down and the player usually gets a nice signing bonus.
Arent teams getting a 2nd rounder back if a previous 1st rounder was giving a contract offer but was never signed?

If so, offering any 1st rounder going the NCAA route an offer early makes perfect sense... Either the prospect accept and go the chl route, either he cant take it, but then the team can watch his player developt for a few years and decided if it's better to pick the 2nd rounder than the prospect. Much like the habs did with Fischer a few years back.

no?

Anksun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 08:56 AM
ReVeuF

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
You should know that he didn't choose London, Habs force all their prospects to go the CHL route.
Understandable, because they develop faster in the CHL, they play more games and focus more on hockey.

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 09:44 AM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Hopefully Dale Hunter helps turn him into a psychotic.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 10:04 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Hopefully Dale Hunter helps turn him into a psychotic.
The Hunters are very good at developing kids...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 10:17 AM
jasonleaffan

vCash: 50
I don't know if this is the case but sometimes guys need to sign early due to the fact that actually need the money they are getting from the signing bonus. I could be wrong but i believe i read that in one of Don Cherry's books.

jasonleaffan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 10:25 AM
Stephen23

Did they sign him so soon because they wanted to make sure he was going to London? Just don't see the reason why they had to sign him so soon if he wasn't going to make the club. Unless they wanted to motivate him to play his a$$ off

Stephen23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 10:47 AM
Rinzler

Guess the HABS paid him off to play in the OHL rather than get a scholarship in NCAA.

Don't see anything wrong with it.

I know I would take the 90k, play a lot of hockey and take classes in between.

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 11:20 AM
Guilliam

What I like the most about him going to the CHL is that he gets to come to the main camp and probably get some preseason games.

It's in part selfish but it is what has always bugged me the most about NCAA prospects, they miss out on the valuable experience of playing against and with legit NHL players.

Guilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 12:20 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen23 View Post
Did they sign him so soon because they wanted to make sure he was going to London? Just don't see the reason why they had to sign him so soon if he wasn't going to make the club. Unless they wanted to motivate him to play his a$$ off
He gets the signing bonus right away

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 12:34 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

IMO this works because McCarron is alerady physically developed.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 12:36 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
IMO this works because McCarron is alerady physically developed.
That's the thing. Had he been 6'5 190lbs, he would need College to fill out. Seeing as how he's already 230-240lbs, he just needs to develop his game.

Old
07-12-2013, 12:37 PM
ottawa

vCash: 69
Rookie signing of the year

07-12-2013, 12:39 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 725
Quote:
You should know that he didn't choose London, Habs force all their prospects to go the CHL route.
ALL their prospects? You mean since when? 'Cause from this moment to, we had: Kristo, MacMillan, Bennett, Cichy, Didier, Pacioretty, Sullivan, Quailer, Johnson, McDonagh, Stejskal, Conboy, Kishel, Fisher, Paquet etc...that all went College instead of CHL....

I mean just before you make such a misinformed statement....how about you pay attention and do some research...

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 01:26 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
ALL their prospects? You mean since when? 'Cause from this moment to, we had: Kristo, MacMillan, Bennett, Cichy, Didier, Pacioretty, Sullivan, Quailer, Johnson, McDonagh, Stejskal, Conboy, Kishel, Fisher, Paquet etc...that all went College instead of CHL....

I mean just before you make such a misinformed statement....how about you pay attention and do some research...
Majority of them 2nd rounders and later besides Pacioretty, who cares about them. If we are talking about 1st rounders which I am, then yes I am right. Force was maybe a too strong of a word, but Habs definitely recommended CHL route considering McCarron, Tinordi, and Leblanc (played one year) were all destined to the college route before getting drafted. You tell me to do some research? Maybe you should take your blinders off and do research and see the last tread of the Habs 1st rounders.

A lot of whining and sensitivity going on here over such a little comment which is hilarious to see.

Last edited by S E P H: 07-12-2013 at 01:33 PM.
S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 01:52 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 725
Quote:
Majority of them 2nd rounders and later besides Pacioretty, who cares about them. If we are talking about 1st rounders which I am, then yes I am right. Force was maybe a too strong of a word, but Habs definitely recommended CHL route considering McCarron, Tinordi, and Leblanc (played one year) were all destined to the college route before getting drafted. You tell me to do some research? Maybe you should take your blinders off and do research and see the last tread of the Habs 1st rounders.

A lot of whining and sensitivity going on here over such a little comment which is hilarious to see.
What's hilarious is somebody who clearly can't back off the statement he made before and now try to pretend as if he never said it. Where the "1st round prospect" you mentioned in the post you made on that subject? Who cares about the rest of the prospects? Habs do as they have one of the best record as far as giving NHL players, no matter which round they were taking from. So Habs do think that no matter which round you are chosen from, you are still really important and if they'd think that the NCAA was never the way to, it wouldn't be for any prospects no matter the round they were chose in.

As far as our 1st rounders, yes, Leblanc, Tinordi and McCarron took the CHL route. Yet, McDonagh and Pacioretty didn't. And a guy that ended up our 1st pick, though 2dn rounder, Kristo also went that route. Guess what so did David Fischer. So let's do the research and see that since 2000, we've had 10 1st rounders (or 1st pick including Kristo in the 2nd round). And we had 3 guys that went the CHL route.

So what's your excuse now? That your first post insted of saying "Habs force ALL of their prospects to play in the CHL" should have been "Habs force ALL of their 1st rounders since 2009 to play in the CHL?". That's close enough...

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 01:52 PM
le_sean

Quote:

Hainsey, Komisarek, Higgins, Fischer, McDonagh, Pacioretty.

Since 2000, the Habs have had 16 first round picks, 9 Americans, 6 of whom went to College, and one of which was drafted from the CHL (Galchenyuk). So essentially 6 of 8 Americans on their way to College, still went. If you want to add Leblanc, fine, 6 of 9.

So yeah, I'd say you should do your research.