HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Hershey (AHL) and Reading (ECHL) 2012-13 Season

Old
06-18-2013, 11:23 AM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

vCash: 500
I wanted Haviland for the Caps job last off-season, so I'm certainly pleased he ended up in Hershey.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 12:13 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Don't know the context of the field and whether he's seen as one of the top candidates, but I suppose I'm pleasantly surprised that they got what seems to me to be a bigger name when there's an arguably more prominent position available in Toronto (in terms of visibility).

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 12:41 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
Don't know the context of the field and whether he's seen as one of the top candidates, but I suppose I'm pleasantly surprised that they got what seems to me to be a bigger name when there's an arguably more prominent position available in Toronto (in terms of visibility).
Based on reports, he was given serious consideration for both the WPG Jets and the Caps jobs during the last head coach hiring round for each organization. As to whether Toronto Marlies or Hershey Bears is the higher visibility AHL head coaching job, I think that's up for debate, but I'd say Hershey is just as visible if not more visible, especially when the NHL is active.

Yes, Toronto is a visible job and some think that helped Dallas Eakins, but the Hershey head coaching position is a top position in the AHL and in the AHL Eastern Conference.

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 12:42 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Haviland's familiarity through his time with Norfolk and last year in the Caps coaching search had to help both sides. Hard to say just how highly regarded he is but he is one of the more experienced options.

It sounds like Yingst wants them to get faster and tougher to play against, which falls in line with moves made during last season. The D looks pretty well set for the most part but I'm not sure it's tough enough overall and they're still going to need to get quicker and more skilled up front.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 12:46 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Haviland's familiarity through his time with Norfolk and last year in the Caps coaching search had to help both sides. Hard to say just how highly regarded he is but he is one of the more experienced options.

It sounds like Yingst wants them to get faster and tougher to play against, which falls in line with moves made during last season. The D looks pretty well set for the most part but I'm not sure it's tough enough overall and they're still going to need to get quicker and more skilled up front.
Here's one opinion from a writer who used to cover the AHL as his main beat:

‏@pwilliamsNHL

"Haviland is an excellent hire by the Caps for Hershey. It would have been interesting if he had gotten Jets' head-coaching job two in 2011."

"That talented and young supporting cast in Chicago? Haviland's fingerprints are all over that."

Old
06-18-2013, 01:15 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Yeah, I don't know a whole lot about his X/O or developmental ability but on the surface I like his demeanor and communication skills. He seems tough but fair and more colorful than French (which is maybe not saying much).

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 01:31 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Yeah, I don't know a whole lot about his X/O or developmental ability but on the surface I like his demeanor and communication skills. He seems tough but fair and more colorful than French (which is maybe not saying much).
Mixed opinion based on what I know of him, but a lot of it is based on older work and assume he has developed & matured. Back when he coached Norfolk against Hershey, um, yeah, he was plenty colorful, but I didn't like his demeanor behind the bench from what I observed.

Going a year back to the split with Chicago, I knew ht was odd man out, but I read a couple of articles about it to refresh my memory on the Quenneville vs Bowman stuff and sounds like it was less about Haviland specifically (compared to the Cassidy fiasco, for example.)

OT: He does have a rep. for development from what I know of him. Note, his assistant last time he was a head coach and at times before, was Ted Dent; Dent is now the head coach for AHL Rockford.

Last edited by sk84fun_dc: 06-18-2013 at 01:37 PM.
Old
06-18-2013, 01:45 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Good hire, not going to lie. Honestly was surprised that he hasn't been tapped to be an NHL head coach, yet. Think he'll do very well down there and get promoted to a head coaching gig up in the NHL within a few seasons.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 07:20 PM
hb11xchamps

After researching him, watching his press conference, and seeing Tim Leone's articles in the Patriot News, I really like the hire. He seems polar opposite of French in terms of personality which is what I preferred for the job. He has many connections within the organization that helped him get the job. He knows Bruce and is good friends with Bob Woods. Hopefully he can turn this team around.

hb11xchamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 07:27 PM
hb11xchamps

Also enjoyed his quote about the guy behind the visitors bench.

Quote:
“It will be nice to have the fans on my side now,” Haviland said.

“There was a guy that stood behind there and gave it to me pretty good for a couple of years. I don't know what he's going to say to me now.”
For those of you that don't know there is a gentleman who has season tickets behind the visitors bench who just gives it to opposing players, equipment staff, and coaches. I have seen him get into many altercations with a lot of players. Tom Sesitio tried to go into the stands and go after him one time because the guy got under his skin so much. Hershey had to put up larger glass just on the visitors bench so he can't lean over and harass the opposing teams because of the amount of complaints from the league. Pretty funny that Haviland said this.

Old
06-29-2013, 12:16 PM
hb11xchamps

Hershey/Caps resigned the Recker Joel Rechlicz and Hershey resigned Dane Byers.

Also rumors floating around that Quintin Laing could make his return to Hershey. Favorite Hershey Bear of all time and the toughest and biggest team player I have ever seen. Played on a very painful sprained knee in the 07 finals for Hershey, played on a ruptured spleen and broke his jaw blocking a shot for Washington

Old
07-03-2013, 10:06 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
Boyd Kane won't return to Hershey; he followed Mark French to Zagreb in KHL.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 09:53 PM
hb11xchamps

Potential Bears lineup with the new signings

Forwards:
Wellman-Taffe-Galiev
Stoa/Syner-Johnson-Deschamps
Whitmore-Leblanc/Latta-Mitchell
Byers-Leblanc/X-Watkins
Rechlicz

**One of Mitchell or Latta probably makes the Capitals roster
Defense:
Little harder to figure out with the abundance of dmen plus factoring in who makes the Caps. These are the guys who could see time in Hershey

Oleksy (If someone takes that roster spot from him)
Orlov (GMGM wants him in DC but you never know)
Kundratek (This year is a 1 way deal so my guess is we rarely see him in Hershey)
Schilling (Make or break training camp)
Schmidt (Needs a lot more seasoning)
Wey (Possibly could get bumped down to Reading to start the year but who knows)
Kolomatis
Genoway
Strachan(Depends on camp)
Wellar
Brouillette
Flemming

Old
07-10-2013, 11:50 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

I think Kundratek makes the big club or gets traded, just like Lepisto. He's no longer waiver exempt, so if there's not a spot for him on the NHL roster, I think McPhee moves him for something rather than risk losing him for nothing. He's shown enough at the NHL level for someone to take a flyer on him with a mid/late round pick.

Old
07-11-2013, 12:11 AM
Dream Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb11xchamps View Post
Hershey/Caps resigned the Recker Joel Rechlicz and Hershey resigned Dane Byers.

Also rumors floating around that Quintin Laing could make his return to Hershey. Favorite Hershey Bear of all time and the toughest and biggest team player I have ever seen. Played on a very painful sprained knee in the 07 finals for Hershey, played on a ruptured spleen and broke his jaw blocking a shot for Washington
Quintin Laing was a warrior. Bad luck happens to good people. I hope he gets a good chance if Hershey is where he wants to be.

Dream Big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:17 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Wait.

McNeill is gone??

Damn.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:44 AM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Wait.

McNeill is gone??

Damn.
Yup, finally hit UFA and had his opportunity to move on to another NHL organization. No surprise anyway, but add to everything, he was buried while Oates and Johansson were with Hershey at the beginning of last season. Heck, some Hershey fans started a FreeMcNeill campaign.

He signed with Columbus/Springfield - one year, one way contract.

Old
07-11-2013, 09:46 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
Yup, finally hit UFA and had his opportunity to move on to another NHL organization. No surprise anyway, but add to everything, he was buried while Oates and Johansson were with Hershey at the beginning of last season. Heck, some Hershey fans started a FreeMcNeill campaign.

He signed with Columbus/Springfield - one year, one way contract.
Good for him. I hope he gets a shot.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 01:51 PM
Rumblick

This Coumbus Dispatch artcle states McNeill is on a 2-way with the Jackets.

Also, the following quote from a July 7th Tim Leone article (from McNeill himself) would seem to corroborate that.

Quote:
A chance to be a prime recall option – and have an opportunity to make his NHL debut – played a strong role in McNeill's signing with Columbus.

“They didn't really have a recall guy,” McNeill said. “And they kind of told me that they thought that could be me for sure this year, which was definitely appealing. That was exciting to me.”

Rumblick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 02:19 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Capgeek has it as a one-way.
http://www.capgeek.com/player/1255

Old
07-11-2013, 03:42 PM
hb11xchamps

Quote:
I'm still at the stage of top 6 bottom 6 for forwards & Galiev's camp and play will be a huge factor in how the lines play out. Big opportunity for him after having played a full pro season and a fresh slate with a new coaching staff in Hershey. I agree one of Mitchell or Latta has an opportunity in training camp to make the Caps IF they are no other forward signings and if Wilson isn't given a chance to start the season (for now, I'm in the send Wilson to juniors camp.)

As is the norm, I expect some more Hershey AHL or AHL/ECHL signings, plus Caps still have contract room within the 50 contract limit. As to AHL/ECHL D, I'm expecting Cajkovsky to fall in that category based on finishing the season with Hershey and being at dev camp now, but as of now, no official signing announced.
I agree with everything you said. A lot of the roster depends on who makes the Caps or spends a majority of the season in Washington. Hershey will probably sign a few more forwards and defensemen for depth that will spend most of the year in Reading. I also think they need a few more Center options as the Johnson interview for Pennlive said he can also play on the wing (did it with Taffe in Rochester). If Latta makes the Caps Hershey also needs a few bottom 6 players.

Old
07-11-2013, 03:44 PM
hb11xchamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Capgeek has it as a one-way.
http://www.capgeek.com/player/1255
I have seen both. My guess would be that Capgeek is wrong based upon Leone's article on McNeil but you never know. Either way I hope he gets his opportunity and excels.

Old
07-11-2013, 05:59 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblick View Post
This Coumbus Dispatch artcle states McNeill is on a 2-way with the Jackets.

Also, the following quote from a July 7th Tim Leone article (from McNeill himself) would seem to corroborate that.
Hey Rumblick, thanks. I honestly don't think the quote from McNeill gives an indication with the way contracts work, but interesting that Leone reported it as a two-way. Will wait and see what more comes out about it.

Old
07-12-2013, 07:11 AM
Rumblick

Quote:
I agree one of Mitchell or Latta has an opportunity in training camp to make the Caps IF they are no other forward signings and if Wilson isn't given a chance to start the season (for now, I'm in the send Wilson to juniors camp.)
Curious about this, sk8 - Wilson didn't look out of place during the Ranger series, and he's got a size and skill that could help at this level. What's the thinking that he'd be better served with another year of juniors?

Rumblick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 10:33 AM
hb11xchamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblick View Post
Curious about this, sk8 - Wilson didn't look out of place during the Ranger series, and he's got a size and skill that could help at this level. What's the thinking that he'd be better served with another year of juniors?
In Juniors he would be getting top line minutes compared to 3rd or 4th in Washington. It probably wouldn't hurt to have another year of development