HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oiler Sign Andrew Ference - 4 years, $3.25M per

View Poll Results: Do you like this signing
Yes 265 91.07%
No 26 8.93%
Voters: 291. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-11-2013, 03:40 PM
TCDaniels
Legen... Wait for it

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckdobbins View Post
Had to quote just so Oilers fans don't overlook it.

One of the best characters I've ever witnessed in a hockey player.

He's going to make mistakes on the ice, and if he injures his groin he's going to be garbage for at least 1 full year, but if he stays healthy (and he has recently) he's going to be just fine as long as he's not THE guy in Edmonton. Amazing team player, amazing community guy, just overall exactly the type of person you want to root for. I really can't say enough about the guy. You'll love him.
Bingo... What ^he said...

I won't sugar-coat anything and tell you that he is a #1/2 defenseman, because he's not... He'll make a mistake here and there that will make you want to slap him. And if he gets injured, believe me - you'll know it...

But I will be you literally ANYTHING that you'll love this guy before long.

He's the guy who brought the silly God-awful 80's Bruins jacket to be used as the "award" after each playoff game... Then brought the God-awful humongoid chain (you've seen pics of Kelly23 wearing it), then brought the fighter jacket this year. He is a real locker-room guy. He's a real community guy (don't be surprised if you see him biking in the streets or Tweeting to invite you to his workout runs)...

As has been mentioned - If he's on the ice, and someone takes liberties with your guy, he is the first guy there to deliver a beating. I've been watching and playing hockey for close to 40 years, and I have never seen a guy stand up for teammates with as much.... gusto. It's actually fun to watch!

You will NOT regret the signing. I promise.

TCDaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 04:42 PM
qc

vCash: 2000
As soon as the first regular season game vs. Vancouver ends, you will all love him. Trust me.

qc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 04:52 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
The more hear about him, the more it seems like he plays a similar type of game as Steve Staios did with us.

MeestaDeteta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 08:07 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

I saw an article on puck daddy how he gave the Bruins playoff jacket to a disabled hockey player.

And to think...some people call this guy a grade A asshat off the ice.

Tad Mikowsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 10:48 AM
Scotto74
First in line...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
I saw an article on puck daddy how he gave the Bruins playoff jacket to a disabled hockey player.

this guy is one class act. here is a link to the article you are talking about.

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...ime_to_ma.html

you guys are going to love this guys make up on and off the ice.

BOSTON STRONG!!!
Scotto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 11:22 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:

Your mileage varying.

I would state that angrily giving the finger to 20K fans and disrespecting the paying faithful in a sport largely dependent on gate revenue is deplorable. Bettman and the NHL agreed, and fined him and discussed the egregious act with him. What this could be as well is a generational difference. I would not flip the bird in that way in anything even remotely tied to my profession and the action holds a different connotation for me.

But the worst part of all for me is that Ference resolutely lied about his actions. For me, personally I don't abide people evading responsibility and bold faced lying about an obvious action. Thats just me, not being sarcastic with this, we all have different things that impact us.

tbh neither instance is likely the true mark of the person. just in my view one is a significant character flaw.

enough of this though.

Ference will improve the Oilers team.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 11:47 AM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

Quote:
Andrew Ference

Positive thoughts go to my buddy Maggie as she starts her chemo. @laurenrudnicki Your Oilers jersey is coming soon! pic.twitter.com/Ikd0Hmvf42
Spending one's time like this is indicative of VERY strong character.

Everyone and his dog raves about Ference when it comes to community involvement and doing things like the above and the jacket giving.

Ol' Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 11:55 AM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Jase View Post
Spending one's time like this is indicative of VERY strong character.

Everyone and his dog raves about Ference when it comes to community involvement and doing things like the above and the jacket giving.
Andy is one of the best hockey players I have ever seen (and I am OLD) when it comes to giving back to the community.

The B's fans are very tough on players so for Ference to get this much positive feedback from the Bruin's fans is unsual.

If you have doubts feel free to visit the B's board to see for yourself.

Oh and for the one poster who is so pissed off about the finger to the Habs...Andy "lied" but with a twinkle in his eye. EVERYONE knew he was joking and knew he gave the bird to Montreal. If you were a Bruin or fan you would get why.

The B's have lost 6 players from last year and Andy Ference is the one that everyone will miss the most.

The word "class" is used to often here but Andy Ference is one classy dude.

07-12-2013, 11:57 AM
Number8

Quote:

Congratulations Oilers fans.

Ference is a Grade A Class Act off the ice. Sometimes, he was not so much when he was on the ice -- like when he flipped off the Montreal fans in the playoffs during our Cup run. Trust me though, you couldn't be getting a better guy and a better mentor for you young players.

I wish we could have kept him. When Oilers come back to Boston AF21 will get a HUGE ovation.

Number8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 12:24 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

If the best we can do for a smear on his character is that he flipped the bird to Montreal fans in the biggest rivalry in the NHL, try harder.

You want that passion on your team.

Look at Hextall - monster on the ice, gentleman off the ice.

You play 100% against your biggest rival, high on adrenaline and testosterone, sometimes you do silly things. The fact that they made such a big deal about is hilarious to me.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 12:32 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Your mileage varying.

I would state that angrily giving the finger to 20K fans and disrespecting the paying faithful in a sport largely dependent on gate revenue is deplorable. Bettman and the NHL agreed, and fined him and discussed the egregious act with him. What this could be as well is a generational difference. I would not flip the bird in that way in anything even remotely tied to my profession and the action holds a different connotation for me.

But the worst part of all for me is that Ference resolutely lied about his actions. For me, personally I don't abide people evading responsibility and bold faced lying about an obvious action. Thats just me, not being sarcastic with this, we all have different things that impact us.

tbh neither instance is likely the true mark of the person. just in my view one is a significant character flaw.

enough of this though.

Your generation gave us Slap Shot, the Broad Street Bullies and Eddie Shack.

Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 12:35 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Yep. Heaven forbid a player who's fired up about scoring a huge goal against his teams biggest rival show some emotion. I'm sure all 20 thousand of those fans were perfectly innocent and were on their very best behaviour.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 12:38 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Yep. Heaven forbid a player who's fired up about scoring a huge goal against his teams biggest rival show some emotion. I'm sure all 20 thousand of those fans were perfectly innocent and were on their very best behaviour.
Montreal is a mecca of tolerance, openness and peace!

Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 12:43 PM
Musashi

Quote:

No kidding

Of course, the most disrespectful action of lifting your middle finger out weighs everything else he's done for less than privileged people, troops and the community

Embarrassing..

Musashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 12:49 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Ya that was hilarious!! I hope he does that again to the canucks. Game 7 OT winner in the first round.

Sloth Slothersons* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 12:56 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCDaniels View Post
Bingo... What ^he said...

I won't sugar-coat anything and tell you that he is a #1/2 defenseman, because he's not... He'll make a mistake here and there that will make you want to slap him. And if he gets injured, believe me - you'll know it...

But I will be you literally ANYTHING that you'll love this guy before long.

He's the guy who brought the silly God-awful 80's Bruins jacket to be used as the "award" after each playoff game... Then brought the God-awful humongoid chain (you've seen pics of Kelly23 wearing it), then brought the fighter jacket this year. He is a real locker-room guy. He's a real community guy (don't be surprised if you see him biking in the streets or Tweeting to invite you to his workout runs)...

As has been mentioned - If he's on the ice, and someone takes liberties with your guy, he is the first guy there to deliver a beating. I've been watching and playing hockey for close to 40 years, and I have never seen a guy stand up for teammates with as much.... gusto. It's actually fun to watch!

You will NOT regret the signing. I promise.
Well, the Oilers have high hopes for the Smid/Petry pairing but in my opinion Ference is our best all-around defenseman at the moment. That just illustrates how far this team still has to go.

Sidenote: I'm loving the header on his Twitter page. Those old school Oilers gloves are awesome.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 07:52 AM
ronwm

Ference is supposed to be in Edmonton Sunday, and on Monday he's bringing the November Project with him.

Andrew Ference ‏@Ferknuckle 9h
Monday’s November Project Canada Beta test will start at 630am sharp here. Bring a deck of cards if you got ‘em. pic.twitter.com/zdN0WJmN2k

And this is from their blog:

Quote:
With the Oilers, Ference adopts the same attitude as with his training partners.
“The most beautiful lesson I learned through the course of my career is to always dive in head first, he avows. Don’t dip your toes in the water, dive.”

Close to his family and his friends, he does not fear the pressure. Especially as the young Oilers begin to feel it.

“The word that we hear most often to describe this team is potential. They would like to stop hearing that and start to be described as warriors of the series.” says Ference.

“I’ve spoken with several guys in the last few days. I sensed they have a real desire to eliminate the negative connotation and to prove themselves. It is really cool to arrive in such an atmosphere.”

ronwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 08:55 AM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Well, the Oilers have high hopes for the Smid/Petry pairing but in my opinion Ference is our best all-around defenseman at the moment. That just illustrates how far this team still has to go.

Sidenote: I'm loving the header on his Twitter page. Those old school Oilers gloves are awesome.
I would prefer if they broke that pairing up, and would much rather see this:

1st pair: Smid-J Schultz Why not put your adventurous offensive defenceman with your most reliable stay at home D? Not to mention strongest D man. All the holes in Schultz game are Smid's strengths, and vice versa.

2nd pair: Ference-Petry Put a more experienced and vocal vet with the ultra talented but often unfocused Petry. Petry needs someone who will immediately point out his errors to him. The missed assignments last year suggest Smid is not that guy.

3rd pair: N Schultz-Klefbom For all the negative press N Schultz got for his play with J Schultz, I'd say it was more a case of 2 guys unable to clear the net or win battles along the boards against bigger opponents (particularly Justin). Klefbom will do much better. Also, these will be sheltered minutes, unlike the Schultz squared pairing playing 20+ minutes a night last year.

I think it's a much better D than some are willing to acknowledge.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 09:05 AM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post

1st pair: Smid-J Schultz Why not put your adventurous offensive defenceman with your most reliable stay at home D? Not to mention strongest D man. All the holes in Schultz game are Smid's strengths, and vice versa.

2nd pair: Ference-Petry Put a more experienced and vocal vet with the ultra talented but often unfocused Petry. Petry needs someone who will immediately point out his errors to him. The missed assignments last year suggest Smid is not that guy.

3rd pair: N Schultz-Klefbom For all the negative press N Schultz got for his play with J Schultz, I'd say it was more a case of 2 guys unable to clear the net or win battles along the boards against bigger opponents (particularly Justin). Klefbom will do much better. Also, these will be sheltered minutes, unlike the Schultz squared pairing playing 20+ minutes a night last year.

Belov will surprise you and will be in the top 6.

Valic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 09:45 AM
alphahelix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Your mileage varying.

enough of this though.

Are you serious? I respect your critique even when it is adversarial, but to me you sound like the kid on the playground who is ratting the cooler kid out and yelling that he should be punished more harshly... After all hockey is a game and the ice can sometimes resemble a playground. This isn't a boardroom. I know there are kids watching and I'm sure he felt bad about it, but this guy isn't running for prime minister... Even if he was, I'd say "go get 'em Trudeau". Do you want everything G-rated, everyone to behave like a robot, everyone to take it lying down? We're not a well-oiled human machine, there will be individuals and they will handle awkward situations differently... thank God for that. Not that I'm giving him kudos or anything, but just because everyone doesn't behave the way mama told ya shouldn't have you holding a grudge!

... Anyways, beyond all that silliness - my problem with Ference lies in his on-ice ability and 4 year contract. We need more and we need better.

alphahelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 09:52 AM
OilDrop37

Quote:

Great Post. This is how I see it working out as well.

Wasn't there talk about Oilers management telling Klefbom to watch N.Schultz when he was over here at the end of the season? That tells me he'll be his tutor for the season. I actually see Belov and Klefbom platooning in and out of that #6 spot throughout the year.

OilDrop37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 09:57 AM
skorf

Quote:

I like your pairings better, I'd have Ference/Petry as the 1st pair though, less pressure on JSchultz and let him develop a bit more.

And as someone else pointed out, good chance for Belov to be in the top 6... right now 3rd pairing is N Schultz-Belov

With Larsen as the 7th D

If they move NSchultz part way through the year (real possibility) then Klefbom has a good chance to slide into the 3rd pairing with Belov.

skorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 10:00 AM
alphahelix

I'm afraid that we need at least one fully solid, fully experienced, fully capable, full-sized pair of D-men to play hard minutes (i.e. the majority of the minutes) against the big strong offensive players peppered around our division, especially in own-zone face-off situations. Not having that, I suppose a balanced D with an impetus on quick breakouts and effective transitions is our next best bet and that line up may be able to offer that with a certain degree of efficacy.

alphahelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 10:01 AM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

I just hate the idea of rushing Klefbom by giving him 6D minutes in the NHL when he could be getting 1D minutes in the AHL, even if its for 1/2 a season.

I, too, think Belov might be better suited on the opening day roster. I guess we'll see what transpires after camp is off and running.

Ol' Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 10:29 AM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Jase View Post
I just hate the idea of rushing Klefbom by giving him 6D minutes in the NHL when he could be getting 1D minutes in the AHL, even if its for 1/2 a season.

I, too, think Belov might be better suited on the opening day roster. I guess we'll see what transpires after camp is off and running.
It's not rushing him if he's ready. Still though, they may give him the OEL treatment and place him in the AHL just to get his feet wet (though for OEL it was as a 19 yr old and it only lasted 15 games). I just think if the guy is good enough, why not have him in the line up here? Tambo is gone right? Meaning management's objective is to ice the team that gives them the best chance to win every night. IMO, that line up includes Klefbom. The guy already has 3 years of pro experience. That saw him earn an increased role each year, to the point where prior to his injury last year was considered one of the better defenders in the league.

If Larsen and Belov play so well and Klefbom struggles a bit in camp that its not clear whether he's an everyday guy, then yes, you start him in the AHL. But IMO, he's our #5 guy to start the season and it is Schultz who will split playing time with Belov. The kid is just that good. He's also going to get sheltered minutes in a bottom pair role. No matter which way you spin it, playing in the NHL is way better for development than playing in the AHL.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote