HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

PHO BUF Trade Proposal

Old
10-27-2006, 05:21 PM
Gwyddbwyll

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MairMan View Post
Shutup. Biron is an above average goaltender. You just don't see enough of him to be able to judge his play nowadays. He makes big saves and keeps pucks out of the net. He is at least 3 times better than Joseph is.

There will be no deal made here.
Ahem. I said average starting goaltender. That's like top 20 goaltender (which I think is actually on the generous side). However the point was that he will be UFA - it would be terrible asset management for Phoenix to give up a top prospect like Wheeler who could give them 8x82 games... for an average starter who wont rescue a disastrous season before he leaves town after playing 40 games. That's without mentioning the 2nd rounder going to Buffalo too.

Since Biron realised Buffalo are a contender and could land him a ring (which would help with a nice new contract elsewhere next year), he's withdrawn his request so there is no deal as you say.

Gwyddbwyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2006, 07:51 PM
LamborGREENie

Buffalo will not make a trade until they aren't undefeated .

LamborGREENie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2006, 07:56 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyddbwyll View Post
Ahem. I said average starting goaltender. That's like top 20 goaltender (which I think is actually on the generous side). However the point was that he will be UFA - it would be terrible asset management for Phoenix to give up a top prospect like Wheeler who could give them 8x82 games... for an average starter who wont rescue a disastrous season before he leaves town after playing 40 games. That's without mentioning the 2nd rounder going to Buffalo too.

Since Biron realised Buffalo are a contender and could land him a ring (which would help with a nice new contract elsewhere next year), he's withdrawn his request so there is no deal as you say.
I thought he told you to shut up.

10-27-2006, 07:59 PM
dire wolf
be cool

How about something like Biron for Leneveau and a 2nd?

As a Cornell alum, I'd love to see Leneveau in a Sabres sweater! On the other hand, I'm conflicted about Biron. I think it actually makes sense to keep him all year and then just let him walk. It would be a shame to lose out this year just because of an injury to Miller. Biron is capable of carrying this team to a Cup if necessary and is a worthwhile insurance policy.

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 01:32 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty La View Post
How about something like Biron for Leneveau and a 2nd?

As a Cornell alum, I'd love to see Leneveau in a Sabres sweater! On the other hand, I'm conflicted about Biron. I think it actually makes sense to keep him all year and then just let him walk. It would be a shame to lose out this year just because of an injury to Miller. Biron is capable of carrying this team to a Cup if necessary and is a worthwhile insurance policy.
Why would a last place team want to get older?

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 09:34 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty La View Post
Biron is capable of carrying this team to a Cup if necessary and is a worthwhile insurance policy.
Just wondering why you would say that? Is it Biron's incredible play-off career?

And before the BUFF fan-boy get all hot and bothered - I definetely think that BUF could win a Cup w/ Biron in net, especially the way they're playing now. Just remember though how OTT came out of the gate last year and exactly what that was worth in April. I just don't think that anyone should be saying that Biron will be "carrying" anyone to the Cup since he has never played in a play-off game.

I do agree that it does make sense for BUF to hold onto Biron. What happens if Miller pulls a Hasek and goes down before the play-off's? BUF wouldn't want to be relying on a guy like Leneveu (who I like) in that situation.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 11:20 AM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
Just wondering why you would say that? Is it Biron's incredible play-off career?

And before the BUFF fan-boy get all hot and bothered - I definetely think that BUF could win a Cup w/ Biron in net, especially the way they're playing now. Just remember though how OTT came out of the gate last year and exactly what that was worth in April. I just don't think that anyone should be saying that Biron will be "carrying" anyone to the Cup since he has never played in a play-off game.

I do agree that it does make sense for BUF to hold onto Biron. What happens if Miller pulls a Hasek and goes down before the play-off's? BUF wouldn't want to be relying on a guy like Leneveu (who I like) in that situation.
Didn't last year's playoffs blow that theory out of the water?

Ruckus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 11:29 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus007 View Post
Didn't last year's playoffs blow that theory out of the water?
Which theory was that?

In the last paragraph of my post I stated in my post that BUFF should probably hold onto Biron just in case that Miller goes down. I'm not sold on Biron as a guy who can "carry" a team to the Cup, but he would likely be better than any other option that BUFF has at this point. I am also not sold that he'd land anything close to what Jame seems to think he would if he were traded, which is even more reason to hold onto him.

Old
10-28-2006, 12:33 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
Which theory was that?

In the last paragraph of my post I stated in my post that BUFF should probably hold onto Biron just in case that Miller goes down. I'm not sold on Biron as a guy who can "carry" a team to the Cup, but he would likely be better than any other option that BUFF has at this point. I am also not sold that he'd land anything close to what Jame seems to think he would if he were traded, which is even more reason to hold onto him.
i think the theory he's refering to is that an unproven goalie can't carry a team in the playoffs... as Ward won a cup and Miller and Bryzgalov took their respective teams pretty far.

and yes, i think Biron is worth a lot in trade value. Roloson netted a 1st at the deadline last year. if Biron is moved he'll get a better return.

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 12:44 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
i think the theory he's refering to is that an unproven goalie can't carry a team in the playoffs... as Ward won a cup and Miller and Bryzgalov took their respective teams pretty far.

and yes, i think Biron is worth a lot in trade value. Roloson netted a 1st at the deadline last year. if Biron is moved he'll get a better return.
If you're going to use Ward as an example - why would anyone want Biron? Every team could have a rookie goaltender that struggles in the regular season and goes on to win the Conn Smythe. Why shouldn't every every back-up goalie should be able to do the same thing. [Sarcasm font off/] Seriously though - for every Ward, how many goalies melt down in the play-off's? And again - I'm not saying that Biron would choke, just that no GM would be counting on Biron "carrying" a team through the play-off's.

Roloson's deal wasn't made in a vaccuum.

I think that Biron is worth a 1st, iF there is an Eastern Conference organization that is getting ABSOLUTELY killed in goal. but is still in contention for a play-off spot and whose management feels they are a legit threat. In addition BUFF would have to be fighting for the same play-off spot.

That was the situation that MINN was in last year and why Roloson was worth a 1st round DP. Since that isn't going to happen this year (BUFF isn't going to be fighting for a play-off spot), I don't see how the cases are similiar.

I do think that more teams that are feeling "frisky" will make deadline moves. There will likely be fewer teams out of contention at the trade deadline, which means there will be more competition for the "rental" positional players which will drive up their price. I just think that the likelyhood of there being a team that is getting really bad goaltending but still being in contention is remote.

Old
10-28-2006, 12:45 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post

Thanks Jame, that's it exactly.

Don't take it too personally, BF, as your opinion of Biron is pretty much spot on with mine. I think the Sabres can win a Cup with him in net. The idea of whether or not he can "carry" a team to a championship has, well, used up a lot of bandwith on the Sabres board over the past few years. Personally, I don't think he's a "carry a team" goalie but the Sabres may not need him, or Miller for that matter, to be. But I also don't think his lack of playoff experience is going to play any role in anything.

And believe me, I used to beat that drum as loud as anyone.

Ruckus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 12:51 PM
Corto
Faceless Man

If everyone in Buffalo is happy, including Biron, I don't think you'll see him moved this year... IMO; Regier feels, well like most people do, that Sabres have a better shot at the Cup this season that last... And without Biron, a freak injury to Miller come playoff time would murder this team.

As good as Buffalo is as a team right now, they depend HEAVILY on their goaltending...

If he is traded, and Darcy decides to say "screw it, most teams go with a Broduer-whoever tandem in the playoffs anyway", I hope Biron goes to a Western team... And a playoff one too, no offense Yotes fans. (well at least right now, doesn't look like Phoenix is gonna be in the playoffs.. season only started though, who knows..? )

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 02:49 PM
Gwyddbwyll

Only four teams in the last 16 years have made the playoffs after starting 2-8 and the last one was Pittsburgh a decade ago (and they were insanely loaded with talent).

However the Oilers did it last year after starting 3-7 and the league has more parity so maybe the season isnt over yet.. (cue 9-0 demolition from the Rangers tonight).

Gwyddbwyll is offline   Reply With Quote