HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Part IX: Free Agency Signing Period Discussion and Rumors

Old
07-11-2013, 08:53 PM
Striiker
Orange and Black

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
So what cap hit do you see Couts and Schenn getting next year. That is a spot that Homer must squeeze if you ask me. Both are getting around 1 million in ACTUAL SALARY. Follow the lead of the Backlund and Alzner(d-man I know) have a bridge 2-3 year deal. Push for the 3 because that year(4 years from now), Pronger and Streit $ is available. In 3 years, we have Jake, L.Schenn, Coburn, Grossman, Talbot as all UFA...assuming they are still here. Realistically, I see 2 year deals. And in those 2 years is when we need to push for a cup win IMO. That is when we hopefully have those 2 GREATLY outplaying their cap hits.

We still need to find a young PMD with 1st line upside...target Bogo!

I think it really depends on how they perform next season. If they really break out it could get expensive, they might not take a discount like G did.

Striiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 08:57 PM
flyershockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
I think it really depends on how they perform next season. If they really break out it could get expensive, they might not take a discount like G did.
RFA's aren't getting what they used to unless they're elite. Teams are going with "prove it" bridge contracts. That's what I expect both Schenn and Couturier to get.

flyershockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:02 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
Anthony SanFilippo tweeted that a while ago, I don't know how reliable he is (probably not very),but he said he thinks Raffl will make the team and that he's being compared to Brunner.

I wasn't saying I believe that, just that it was being said by someone.
He's a paid employee by the Flyers, I would say he has a pretty good sense of what they're thinking.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:33 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
He's a paid employee by the Flyers, I would say he has a pretty good sense of what they're thinking.
With that said, he's also going to talk up Raffl because he's a paid employee by the flyer.

Old
07-11-2013, 09:37 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
With that said, he's also going to talk up Raffl because he's a paid employee by the flyer.
Well yeah but I was alluding to the fact that he said he has a good shot at making the big club not the Brunner comparison.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:41 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Well yeah but I was alluding to the fact that he said he has a good shot at making the big club not the Brunner comparison.
Eh, I'll believe it when I see it. Until then, this is just another Pyorala to me.

Old
07-11-2013, 09:59 PM
hockeyfreak7

We have a lot of guys competing for a couple spots, and it looks like management is confident in the younger kids. I wonder if Talbot is moved to make room. Maybe he could be packaged with Meszaros to get something not totally useless in return.

hockeyfreak7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:22 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Poor mika. Was used in a role he was not supposed to.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:48 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerFetish View Post
I'd much rather have Straka move into Reads current position and move Read back up with Claude and Jake. 2 pure goal scorers with Claude is a no brainer. Hartnell isnt a pure goal scorer.
Voracek is 100% not a pure goal scorer. He's a playmaker. Hartnell IS the goal-scorer on that line. Replacing him with Read makes that line very easy to push around and fairly ineffective on the forecheck.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 12:02 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

I think Schenn has the capability to be that "pure goal scorer" if given an opportunity on the wing with a legit playmaker for an extended period of time. That's why I'd like to see him on vinnys wing, with Simmonds on the other side. Schenn and Simmonds had some chemistry before and I think a guy like vinny could be an ideal fit to center them.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 12:26 AM
BackWithaVengeance

Man, say whatever you want but the Flyers have an abundance of top-9 guys on the Roster. I mean we have more solid players than spots to give.

Hartnell
Giroux
Voracek
Schenn
LeCavalier
Simmonds
Read
Couturier
Raffl
Straka
McGinn
Laughton
Gagne (probably)

Longshots

Cousins
Akeson
Noebels
Flanagan

I really believe that at the end of this season, whoever breaks out and leaves a big impression can be used/packaged to get the much needed top pairing defender. We have the depth to overcome.

BackWithaVengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 12:51 AM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackWithaVengeance View Post
Man, say whatever you want but the Flyers have an abundance of top-9 guys on the Roster. I mean we have more solid players than spots to give.

Hartnell
Giroux
Voracek
Schenn
LeCavalier
Simmonds
Read
Couturier
Raffl
Straka
McGinn
Laughton
Gagne (probably)

Longshots

Cousins
Akeson
Noebels
Flanagan

I really believe that at the end of this season, whoever breaks out and leaves a big impression can be used/packaged to get the much needed top pairing defender. We have the depth to overcome.

Yeah, I just sat down and actually looked at our depth a moment ago, and realized, holy ****, we have too much.

Only disagreement with your post is, I think if ever there was a time to put something big together, now would be it. I say gamble right now on being able to deal a forward (packaged with Coburn) and hope that Straka, Laughton, or Raffl can move into the top nine. I think that's a fairly safe bet to make, honestly.

But that begs the question, who the hell do we start dangling in a trade? I'm not willing to explore moving Giroux, Couturier, Voracek, and Simmonds. We simply aren't (and shouldn't) going to explore moving Lecavalier or Hartnell. That leaves Read and Schenn. Read won't fetch much or at least anything worthwhile, so...

How big a package could we return for Coburn+Schenn is my question. Does that put us in the ball park of one of the elite blue chip defenders? Probably not given the scarcity of them, but I think it's at least worth exploring that avenue.

hockeyfreak7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 01:03 AM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
I think Schenn has the capability to be that "pure goal scorer" if given an opportunity on the wing with a legit playmaker for an extended period of time. That's why I'd like to see him on vinnys wing, with Simmonds on the other side. Schenn and Simmonds had some chemistry before and I think a guy like vinny could be an ideal fit to center them.
His wristshot and snapshot are an underrated skill in his game.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 01:07 AM
BackWithaVengeance

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
Yeah, I just sat down and actually looked at our depth a moment ago, and realized, holy ****, we have too much.

Only disagreement with your post is, I think if ever there was a time to put something big together, now would be it. I say gamble right now on being able to deal a forward (packaged with Coburn) and hope that Straka, Laughton, or Raffl can move into the top nine. I think that's a fairly safe bet to make, honestly.

But that begs the question, who the hell do we start dangling in a trade? I'm not willing to explore moving Giroux, Couturier, Voracek, and Simmonds. We simply aren't (and shouldn't) going to explore moving Lecavalier or Hartnell. That leaves Read and Schenn. Read won't fetch much or at least anything worthwhile, so...

How big a package could we return for Coburn+Schenn is my question. Does that put us in the ball park of one of the elite blue chip defenders? Probably not given the scarcity of them, but I think it's at least worth exploring that avenue.
I know what you mean and I am 100% sure it's what Homer is exploring the next few weeks.

The point is, next year we and our possible trading partners will know exactly who's usefulworth it. Some of the young guys are overdue to break out.

Right now it's a lot of them with potential and maybes. Not quite sure that's enough to get what we want but otherwise it's what good teams do, gamble and sell or buy high on potential.

Old
07-12-2013, 04:45 AM
Phillyfan28

Quote:

Hartnell
Giroux
Voracek
Schenn
LeCavalier
Simmonds
Read
Couturier
Raffl
Straka
McGinn
Laughton
Gagne (probably)

Longshots

Cousins
Akeson
Noebels
Flanagan

You are entirely too optimistic. Laughton, Raffl, Straka, McGinn penceled in as legit top 9 guys is a little much. Regardless, we definately have a nice selection of forwards

Phillyfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 05:09 AM
BackWithaVengeance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillyfan28 View Post
You are entirely too optimistic. Laughton, Raffl, Straka, McGinn penceled in as legit top 9 guys is a little much. Regardless, we definately have a nice selection of forwards
Excuse me? I've already seen posts where Lauughton is penciled as a top-6 winger.

McGinn played 3rd LW last year, Raffl was on the top line in Team Austria along with Vanek and if Straka can't be counted as a scoring winger, why are they here?

If these guys do not project at least as top-9 wingers they are busts, especially Scott Laughton.

Old
07-12-2013, 09:02 AM
healthyscratch

Quote:
Excuse me? I've already seen posts where Lauughton is penciled as a top-6 winger.
The most I've seen is having Laughton at 3LW, and I think that's being a little bit overzealous.

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 12:16 PM
sg12lw

Quote:

Hartnell
Giroux
Voracek
Schenn
LeCavalier
Simmonds
Read
Couturier
Raffl
Straka
McGinn
Laughton

Gagne (probably)

Longshots

Cousins
Akeson
Noebels
Flanagan

while i agree they all have top 9 potential, i dont think any of these guys are sure fire top 9 guys yet

yes, even couts...he just wasnt that good last year, im sorry...little sophomore slump, it happens....i 100 percent expect that he will be way better this year

point is, lets not start trading guys off or assuming anything just yet...lets see how it plays out

i am very optimistic about all of them though to be honest - very excited for the season!!

sg12lw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 12:25 PM
BackWithaVengeance

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg12lw View Post
while i agree they all have top 9 potential, i dont think any of these guys are sure fire top 9 guys yet

yes, even couts...he just wasnt that good last year, im sorry...little sophomore slump, it happens....i 100 percent expect that he will be way better this year

point is, lets not start trading guys off or assuming anything just yet...lets see how it plays out

i am very optimistic about all of them though to be honest - very excited for the season!!
2 sentences which summarize my post. Nothing to add.

Old
07-12-2013, 12:36 PM
BernieParent

Quote:

I've got to say that that dangerous, warm feeling of optimism is seeping into my extremities, despite my best efforts. Of course there are question marks, but that's true for every other team in the league. On top of that, the forward list you quoted actually has the makings of decent call-up potential and (if we are lucky) 1-2 rookies even beyond Laughton who will crack the roster in the next season or so.

Defensively, we can even say that there are legitimate prospects now in the system. I wouldn't be surprised, though, if either of Hägg or Morin got rushed to the Flyers as early as next season (ie, 2014-15), both with the loss of Timonen and the cap situation. I'd hope not, but it may just be inevitable – and hopefully the result of stellar play by one or both in the upcoming season – that they try to make hay with the recent early-round picks.

Even goaltending is (at least for this season) stable, and there's an honest-to-goodness legit call-up on the Phantoms if Mason or Emery get injured. That gives a full season to Stolarz with the Knights, and hopefully he will make a strong case for the Phantoms starter's job for 2014-15. It also gives them another year to keep looking for another very good G prospect if Heeter continues to play so-so.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 12:46 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
I've got to say that that dangerous, warm feeling of optimism is seeping into my extremities, despite my best efforts. Of course there are question marks, but that's true for every other team in the league. On top of that, the forward list you quoted actually has the makings of decent call-up potential and (if we are lucky) 1-2 rookies even beyond Laughton who will crack the roster in the next season or so.

Defensively, we can even say that there are legitimate prospects now in the system. I wouldn't be surprised, though, if either of Hägg or Morin got rushed to the Flyers as early as next season (ie, 2014-15), both with the loss of Timonen and the cap situation. I'd hope not, but it may just be inevitable – and hopefully the result of stellar play by one or both in the upcoming season – that they try to make hay with the recent early-round picks.

Even goaltending is (at least for this season) stable, and there's an honest-to-goodness legit call-up on the Phantoms if Mason or Emery get injured. That gives a full season to Stolarz with the Knights, and hopefully he will make a strong case for the Phantoms starter's job for 2014-15. It also gives them another year to keep looking for another very good G prospect if Heeter continues to play so-so.
Allow me to hurt your optimisim: Leighton is still available. There is still a chance he gets another spot in the organization, no matter how small.

07-12-2013, 12:49 PM
sg12lw

Quote:
2 sentences which summarize my post. Nothing to add.
I'll add this for you then:

"Man, say whatever you want but the Flyers have an abundance of top-9 guys on the Roster. I mean we have more solid players than spots to give."

you listed a lot of guys as "top 9 guys"....and then a few people, including myself, pointed out that a few of those guys have yet to prove that they are top 9 guys -- not a big deal -- no need to get defensive

Old
07-12-2013, 01:01 PM
BackWithaVengeance

Quote:
I'll add this for you then:

"Man, say whatever you want but the Flyers have an abundance of top-9 guys on the Roster. I mean we have more solid players than spots to give."

you listed a lot of guys as "top 9 guys"....and then a few people, including myself, pointed out that a few of those guys have yet to prove that they are top 9 guys -- not a big deal -- no need to get defensive
, no I do not want to be defensive. If anything I tried to point out that these guys should become top-9 players. Anything else would be a dissapointment for me. Especially Laughton.

Old
07-12-2013, 01:23 PM
sg12lw

Quote:
, no I do not want to be defensive. If anything I tried to point out that these guys should become top-9 players. Anything else would be a dissapointment for me. Especially Laughton.
my mistake -- im a little slow lol

and I agree -- I am very curious to see what happens with him this year...I dont think playing 4th line minutes is going to do him any good, so he may be headed back to juniors....which sucks bc i want to see him on this team, but like i said, i dont really want to see him on the 4th line

is it training camp yet??

Old
07-12-2013, 02:08 PM
Phillyfan28

Quote:

McGinn played 3rd LW last year, Raffl was on the top line in Team Austria along with Vanek and if Straka can't be counted as a scoring winger, why are they here?

If these guys do not project at least as top-9 wingers they are busts, especially Scott Laughton.
I havent seen a single post where Laughton is even suggested as a top 6 winger.

Nonetheless, your post said nothing of potential. It said we have tons of top 9 talent, and the last few on that list are far from failproof top 9 today. Maybe in the future, but they are all questionmarks today

Phillyfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote