HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade and Proposals Thread XXXVII: Is MacT mostly done?

Closed Thread

Old
07-12-2013, 02:14 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats View Post
Kings just extended Muzzin. They're now have 8 D under contract with Martinez still unsigned. Plus they have Clifford, Nolan and Lewis to resign with only $4.2M in cap space. Clifford should eat half that alone. That's a team that needs to make moves and they have pieces we could use.

http://www.capgeek.com/kings/
One of Clifford/Nolan/Lewis is going to walk after arbitration IMO.

Old
07-12-2013, 02:16 PM
KlimasLoveChild

Quote:
Kings just extended Muzzin. They're now have 8 D under contract with Martinez still unsigned. Plus they have Clifford, Nolan and Lewis to resign with only $4.2M in cap space. Clifford should eat half that alone. That's a team that needs to make moves and they have pieces we could use.

What's the deal with Willie Mitchell? Can't they put him of ltir and eliminate that 3.5mil cap hit?

Old
07-12-2013, 02:16 PM
robbiezyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Problem is, what do we flip them? Picks?
Yep!

Old
07-12-2013, 02:17 PM
MinnesotaFats

vCash: 50
Quote:
Problem is, what do we flip them? Picks?
Picks. Prospects. They really can't take anything back.

Maybe they'd do something like Greene and Clifford for Hemsky (half salary retained), Marincin, Pitlick.

They struggled scoring in the playoffs so Hemmer at $2.75M could be very appealing. Greene is a pending UFA as well and his salary is pretty close to half of Hemsky's

Old
Asher

The title of this thread asks if MacT is "mostly" done. Other than trying to deal Hemsky I think MacT is completely done as far as roster moves are concerned. This is the team he's going with.

Old
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
One of Clifford/Nolan/Lewis is going to walk after arbitration IMO.
I thought this changed under the new CBA, in that if a player makes it to arbitration and is awarded a number, the team is obligated to give that to the player.

Old
07-12-2013, 02:19 PM
MinnesotaFats

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlimasLoveChild View Post
What's the deal with Willie Mitchell? Can't they put him of ltir and eliminate that 3.5mil cap hit?
Hadn't realized that was an option. Maybe it's not so bad then. Still have a big glut at D.

Old
07-12-2013, 02:19 PM
Cerebral

Quote:

Why would Clifford get $2.1M after putting up 14 points?

$4.2M should be more than enough to get those three guys signed unless they're looking at giving them huge long-term deals. For one or two year deals, none of them is looking at much more than $1M in my view.

07-12-2013, 02:21 PM
joestevens29

Quote:

I think Mitchell goes to LTIR .

Old
07-12-2013, 02:21 PM
MinnesotaFats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post

$4.2M should be more than enough to get those three guys signed unless they're looking at giving them huge long-term deals. For one or two year deals, none of them is looking at much more than $1M in my view.
Nystrom got $2.5M. He was UFA though. Wouldn't be shocked if Clifford got $2M per.

Old
07-12-2013, 02:27 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by belair View Post
Its an 82 game season beforehand. And although they don't get a lot of playing time, there's still a lot of respect for those guys.

Heck, one of the first guys to raise the cup this year was Jamal Mayers
Yeah but he was basically a mascot. Worked hard in practice, well-liked in the locker room, didn't play a lick in the post season. Heavyweights are going the way of the wooden stick.

Old
07-12-2013, 02:35 PM
RisingSun

Quote:
People keep saying this.... but the BlackHawks just won the cup with an almost pure skill team. I don't think Carcillo got much ice time in the post season.
But like I said, they can definitely hold their own. They got some decent sized wingers, while we on the other hand are tiny, and can't hold our own.

Old
07-12-2013, 02:38 PM
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
The title of this thread asks if MacT is "mostly" done. Other than trying to deal Hemsky I think MacT is completely done as far as roster moves are concerned. This is the team he's going with.
I really don't get the same impression that MacT is satisfied with the roster, and I think that he will continue to make changes to the roster, if he thinks that he can improve the club further.

He said that it will probably be relatively quiet on the trade front, but that he's always open for business. I think that some teams have roster and cap issues now, and now is the time to make some good deals for players. I really get the feeling that MacT is not yet finished, nor do I think that he's done what he wanted to do with the roster changes over the summer just yet. He wants to add more size and toughness to the line up. I can see Lander being packaged with another prospect and picks for a more experienced and skilled centreman. The Oilers have a lot of the key pieces in place with their young core and will have only a limited window of opportunity to win. They have to move into a "win now" mode.

Old
07-12-2013, 02:38 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post

14 pts in a shortened season, while adding intangibles like toughness. I could see 2.1M. I could also see LA telling him either take less or prepare to be traded.

Old
07-12-2013, 02:40 PM
joestevens29

I would've thought Muzzin would've got more, but he only got a mil. So who knows DL might lock up Clifford to a 3 year deal at 1.5mil per.

Old
07-12-2013, 02:40 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Condra just signed for 2yrs 1.25 caphit and he's a similar player. 2.1 might be too much for Clifford.

Old
07-12-2013, 02:55 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Buddha View Post
I really don't get the same impression that MacT is satisfied with the roster, and I think that he will continue to make changes to the roster, if he thinks that he can improve the club further.

He said that it will probably be relatively quiet on the trade front, but that he's always open for business. I think that some teams have roster and cap issues now, and now is the time to make some good deals for players. I really get the feeling that MacT is not yet finished, nor do I think that he's done what he wanted to do with the roster changes over the summer just yet. He wants to add more size and toughness to the line up. I can see Lander being packaged with another prospect and picks for a more experienced and skilled centreman. The Oilers have a lot of the key pieces in place with their young core and will have only a limited window of opportunity to win. They have to move into a "win now" mode.
Well, I certainly hope you're right, but I read the tea leaves quite differently. Smyth is coming back, as is Gagner. After Gordon was signed MacT was asked if he needed another center, and he said he was comfortable with what they had now. Jones was re-signed. Joensuu, from what I gather, was brought in to play for the big team, not OKC. Brown will be back. Eager is going to get another chance. They have 9 Dmen signed when you include Larsen, Potter, and Klefbom. I think 7 will stay, with 2 of the 3 I just listed going down to OKC.

As for the comment about being open for business, listen to the audio of it. Stauffer asks MacT if he's done for the summer or if there's more trades coming and, after a bit of an awkward pause, MacT finally says he's open 24/7 to do anything that will improve the team. That doesn't sound like someone who's actively perusing deals to me. It sounds like someone who is basically done but obviously would never close the door if someone came calling. MacT said he wanted to move Hemsky and I don't doubt that continue on that front, but otherwise I think he's done making roster moves. And if nothing good comes from the Hemsky offers, I wouldn't be surprised to see him back next year either.

That's just my take on things. Obviously, there can be more than one interpretation here.

Old
07-12-2013, 02:58 PM
OilerFan4Life

vCash: 1991
Bill Waters just DESTROYED Phaneuf on Stauffer's show. LOL.

He was begging MacT to take him

Old
07-12-2013, 03:00 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post

What was he saying about Phaneuf?

Old
07-12-2013, 03:01 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Nystrom got $2.5M. He was UFA though. Wouldn't be shocked if Clifford got $2M per.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
14 pts in a shortened season, while adding intangibles like toughness. I could see 2.1M. I could also see LA telling him either take less or prepare to be traded.
I could see him easily getting this via unrestricted free agency but he's restricted. Nystrom only got that contract because there were a number of bidders - there's a reason why Gordon's $3M he earned from us is by far the most he has ever had in his career.

14 points in the shortened season pro-rates out to a 23 point season. If 23 points in the NHL gets you $2.1M as a restricted free agent - yikes! TJ Galiardi just scored 14 points in 12 less games and signed for $1.25M. Clifford should be shooting for $1.2M on a short-term contract or $1.5M on a longer one.

Old
07-12-2013, 03:01 PM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

I'd take Clifford at 2M.

Old
07-12-2013, 03:03 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post

Waters has had it in for Phaneuf for a long time and Bob knows it. He lobbed that ball right over the plate, just waiting for Waters to knock it out of park, and of course Waters didn't let Bob down.

Old
07-12-2013, 03:04 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Are we talking about Clifford the hockey player or Clifford the big red dog? Because I'd take either one on the Oilers.

Old
07-12-2013, 03:05 PM
Matt19Oilers

Hemsky (with retained salary) + 2014 1st + Musil for Coburn and Talbot.

I want this to happen so badly.

Old
07-12-2013, 03:06 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
What was he saying about Phaneuf?
That he is a poor player, shouldn't be on the powerplay, a total dullard, a coward who hides from consequences of his behavior, a poor human being, terrible captain.

Just your average run of the mill "I loathe this human being" type rant.

Closed Thread