Notices

Jersey numbers

Old
07-10-2013, 05:47 PM
c4rcy
Power lvls over 9000

vCash: 500
Jersey numbers

So we saw a few rookies make a significant impact on the club last year, and some have a good chance of doing the same this year. At what point do they get a number change and what number will they choose?

I am always intrigued by number choices for some reason. (It also helps for buying jerseys). Here's my idea of what will happen this season:

Silfverberg - NHL ready. Wore #33 in Ottawa, should wear #33 in Anaheim.

Palmieri - NHL ready. Played as #51 the entire year, his rookie #, but in Norfolk was #21. Could see him getting the call from Bob allowing him to change #'s to #21.

Etem - NHL ready. Played as #65 the entire year. Called up once, sent down, but was up for the rest of the year and was amongst our best forwards in the playoffs. Wore #26 in Medicine Hat, I imagine he would get the call this year allowing him to switch.

Holland - Borderline. Played as #74, wore #13 in juniors (currently taken by Bonino). I believe wore #22 with Norfolk. Not sure what he'd pick in the NHL as a full-timer. Todd Marchant would probably approve though if he had to ask. Don't see it happening this year. Could also see #19 taken by Holland.

Vatanen - Borderline. Played as #45, wore #44 in FEL and #9 in Norfolk. Don't think he'll get 9 (or choose it for that matter because of Bobby and the fact that no defenseman in the NHL wears 9 currently). Souray owns #44, could see something occurring next year but not this year.

Lindholm - AHL. Played as #6 in AHL, I think he played under the same # with Rogle and Norfolk. I don't know his rookie # but it won't be long before he gets an opportunity to play in the show. Don't see this happening this year.

DSP - AHL. Was #23 in Norfolk, #77 in Anaheim. He showed improvement but is still not ready for full time NHL duty. Could be 1-2 years away from picking.

Rakell - AHL. Was #67 in Anaheim, played as #24 with Plymouth. I imagine if he was given full time duty, he would probably pick #20/#28 unless the Salei family gives permission for Rakell to wear his junior number.

c4rcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 05:56 PM
Paul4587

I don't think we're going to let players like Marchant dictate who gets what number. I'd hope our standard isn't that low. I would also hope if somebody wants #9 that they'll get it.

I think Palmieri, Silfverberg & Etem get low #s this season. Rakell, Vatanen and Holland haven't earned any spots just yet, they're still at least a half season away. DSP and Lindholm are probably at least a year away from getting a low #.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 06:03 PM
AngelDuck

#12 is available as well. Could see Etem or Palmieri taking that for sure. Just seems like a good number for a sniper (Iginla).

AngelDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 06:18 PM
airforceones25

The low number thing is overrated in my book. A player should be afforded the opportunity to wear which ever number he chooses... Pending retired numbers or active players with the number.

airforceones25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 07:24 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

Etem wore 96 growing up and there was a photo shoot last year with him wearing 96. I have a hunch Smith-Pelly is actually going to stick with 77. It's a badass number.

TheJoeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 07:47 PM
ShadowDuck
Captain Anaheim

vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoeMan View Post
Etem wore 96 growing up and there was a photo shoot last year with him wearing 96. I have a hunch Smith-Pelly is actually going to stick with 77. It's a badass number.
I was thinking the same, I remember two years ago DSP said he actually liked 77 (makes him look slim). I don't believe we've ever had a full time Duck with that high of a number during this management's era, I'm curious if they would let him keep it.

I think Palmieri is definitely going to get a low #, but I believe they'll wait at least a half year for Etem. Maybe Maroon too since he's on a one-way deal.

ShadowDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 08:08 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

In my opinion if you make the team you should get to pick your number. I feel like the stringency of rookie numbers was a Carlyle thing.

Oh and in the case of Vatanen I think he chose 45 already.

Old
07-10-2013, 09:08 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoeMan View Post
In my opinion if you make the team you should get to pick your number. I feel like the stringency of rookie numbers was a Carlyle thing.

Oh and in the case of Vatanen I think he chose 45 already.
I think it is more of a Burke/Murray thing as Toronto does the same thing and we're still doing it after Carlyle has left.

I wonder if they do let Etem use 96. He wore 26 throughout juniors and in the AHL though so maybe he prefers 26 now.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 10:51 PM
jiggsawpuzzle35

I'd like to get a Gibson or Etem jersey personalization so hopefully they stick with their numbers come camp/pre-season.

jiggsawpuzzle35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 10:56 PM
JM358
8-15-10

vCash: 505
In January at camp, I remember John Gibson wearing 36 even though he's always used 35. Makes me think they've told no one can wear 35 and it will be retired when Giguere retires.

JM358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 12:52 AM
Ducks Ahoy
Do it for Teemu

Etem: 96 would look sick on him

DSP: stick with 77

Lindholm: for some reason I see him wearing 58

Holland: 74

Rakell: 29

Ducks Ahoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 01:22 AM
AngelDuck

Since Lindholm wears #4 in Norfolk, I bet he'll take Souray's #44 when Souray leaves/retires in a year or two

AngelDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 01:09 PM
c4rcy
Power lvls over 9000

I guess sort of OT, but wonder what Bobby will take in Ottawa.

He already can't take 9 and says he won't wear 54. Maybe 13? or 91?

Last edited by c4rcy: 07-11-2013 at 01:28 PM.
Old
07-11-2013, 01:25 PM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by airforceones25 View Post
The low number thing is overrated in my book. A player should be afforded the opportunity to wear which ever number he chooses... Pending retired numbers or active players with the number.
No!

Then any new prospect (for example just drafted 7th rounder) takes 9 if there is enough luck for that to be free at that moment. We trade for a high caliber player (for example Duchene) and he is forced to take another number and wait for that prospect to fail completely or make NHL as a bottom 6 player after 5 years.

Allowing to take any number would only make a mess. This is a right way to do it imo.

Kalvinators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 01:27 PM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4rcy View Post
I guess sort of OT, but wonder what Bobby will take in Ottawa.

He already can't take 9 and 54. Maybe 13? or 91?
He have also played with #6 and #20 in minors and i believe he have had other numbers in minors/juniors

Old
07-11-2013, 01:30 PM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM358 View Post
In January at camp, I remember John Gibson wearing 36 even though he's always used 35. Makes me think they've told no one can wear 35 and it will be retired when Giguere retires.
Exactly, but now he was with a sweater and #31 on it in prospect camp.

Old
07-11-2013, 06:00 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalvinators View Post
Exactly, but now he was with a sweater and #31 on it in prospect camp.
I thought he sat out all 3 public sessions? I know he didn't play Friday or Monday.

Eddie Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 06:16 PM
airforceones25

Quote:
No!

Then any new prospect (for example just drafted 7th rounder) takes 9 if there is enough luck for that to be free at that moment. We trade for a high caliber player (for example Duchene) and he is forced to take another number and wait for that prospect to fail completely or make NHL as a bottom 6 player after 5 years.

Allowing to take any number would only make a mess. This is a right way to do it imo.
If a just drafted 7th rounder makes the NHL squad he can have whatever ****ing number he wants.

You obviously are misguided in my interpretation. I'm talking about NHL players. I don't care what number they wear. A kid wearing a number in the AHL or juniors is not the same as the big club. I'm talking about players on the actual Ducks roster.

What I really get a kick out of is you reserving numbers for players you might want to trade for. That's the best thing I've heard all summer. I don't care if player already has said number. It up to those two players to work out compensation or whatever they choose.

airforceones25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 06:26 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
No!

Denying a player the number he wants because there is a player on another team who might want it? Not going to happen. If said 7th rounder wants the #9, and he's earned the right to pick a number, I don't care. The fact that, in your scenario, it's a 7th rounder out of the draft doesn't change this. He'd have to look really good to make the team right out of the draft.

If Teemu Selanne was willing to wear a different number, anyone should be.

07-11-2013, 06:42 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

With the exception of numbers that will or most definitely be retired one day like 8, 35 and (in my opinion) 27 any player should pick any number he wants once he's a proven member of this team.

Old
07-12-2013, 12:39 PM
c4rcy
Power lvls over 9000

Bobby chose 6.

Old
07-12-2013, 02:09 PM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by airforceones25 View Post
If a just drafted 7th rounder makes the NHL squad he can have whatever ****ing number he wants.

You obviously are misguided in my interpretation. I'm talking about NHL players. I don't care what number they wear. A kid wearing a number in the AHL or juniors is not the same as the big club. I'm talking about players on the actual Ducks roster.

What I really get a kick out of is you reserving numbers for players you might want to trade for. That's the best thing I've heard all summer. I don't care if player already has said number. It up to those two players to work out compensation or whatever they choose.
I would like to hear your proposal of how you determine who is a player on Ducks roster and who not?

Like Devo? He might as well make it again at some point but while he`s down at the AHL he could take a good number. I`m not reserving them for a mystical player from the possible trade, but i`m would be not willing to hand the number to every borderline NHL`er.

PS
Looks like you have a boring summer if that one comment is the best you have heard this summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Denying a player the number he wants because there is a player on another team who might want it? Not going to happen. If said 7th rounder wants the #9, and he's earned the right to pick a number, I don't care. The fact that, in your scenario, it's a 7th rounder out of the draft doesn't change this. He'd have to look really good to make the team right out of the draft.

If Teemu Selanne was willing to wear a different number, anyone should be.
Lol.

Yes, if he`s EARNED. And by earned i meant played at least a couple of seasons in NHL. It doesn`t matter if he have drafted in 7th or 5th or signed in FA from Australian 3d league. If every prospect is allowed to choose whicheve rnumber he wants, it would be a real mess. A lot of players favorite numbers are in the place of #1-#40. So why the hell would we give them to any prospect in the system?

PS
My bad if i misunderstood the ''players - as if only the Ducks roster'' with ''players - every player in the system'' terms.

Old
07-12-2013, 02:13 PM
Ducks Nation*
#ReleaseTheDucklings

vCash: 633
I hope Etem keeps 65

Ducks Nation* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 02:30 PM
PuqTalk
@PuqOT on Twitter

Quote:
Yes, if he`s EARNED. And by earned i meant played at least a couple of seasons in NHL. It doesn`t matter if he have drafted in 7th or 5th or signed in FA from Australian 3d league. If every prospect is allowed to choose whicheve rnumber he wants, it would be a real mess. A lot of players favorite numbers are in the place of #1-#40. So why the hell would we give them to any prospect in the system?

PS
My bad if i misunderstood the ''players - as if only the Ducks roster'' with ''players - every player in the system'' terms.
Because we're talking about adults, and not 12 year olds. It's a jersey number. They'll get over it.

PuqTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 02:40 PM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuqTalk View Post
Because we're talking about adults, and not 12 year olds. It's a jersey number. They'll get over it.
Yeah well i didn`t said they`ll start to whine or something.

So you`re saying that we need to cancel all the rookie dinners, rookie pranks etc too? The veterans aren`t 12 yo they won`t cry after all

Numbers are still very important to a lot of players. Beauch changed to #23 immediately after Mara was traded. Also a lot of players admire their childhood idols that`s why they like to take their numbers. If we let every prospect in the system (about 30 IIRC) to take their numbers it will leave a mess.

That`s sort of like patches in army. The lower level have to be without any (in here - lower numbers) but when you earn it, you can be more recognizable (play with that higher number).