HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade and Proposals Thread XXXVII: Is MacT mostly done?

Closed Thread

Old
07-12-2013, 02:06 PM
Moose Coleman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
Bill Waters just DESTROYED Phaneuf on Stauffer's show. LOL.

He was begging MacT to take him
Keep in mind, though: Bill Watters is bozo.

Old
07-12-2013, 02:07 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
I could see him easily getting this via unrestricted free agency but he's restricted. Nystrom only got that contract because there were a number of bidders - there's a reason why Gordon's $3M he earned from us is by far the most he has ever had in his career.

14 points in the shortened season pro-rates out to a 23 point season. If 23 points in the NHL gets you $2.1M as a restricted free agent - yikes! TJ Galiardi just scored 14 points in 12 less games and signed for $1.25M. Clifford should be shooting for $1.2M on a short-term contract or $1.5M on a longer one.
I'd pay Clifford 2M. He's not there to score points, but the fact that he can score a little just shows a bit of a well-rounded game. That should be worth something in this league. It certainly is to me.

Old
07-12-2013, 02:12 PM
OilerFan4Life

vCash: 1017
LOL Stauffer just ripped David Staples. Nice

Old
07-12-2013, 02:13 PM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
Well, I certainly hope you're right, but I read the tea leaves quite differently. Smyth is coming back, as is Gagner. After Gordon was signed MacT was asked if he needed another center, and he said he was comfortable with what they had now. Jones was re-signed. Joensuu, from what I gather, was brought in to play for the big team, not OKC. Brown will be back. Eager is going to get another chance. They have 9 Dmen signed when you include Larsen, Potter, and Klefbom. I think 7 will stay, with 2 of the 3 I just listed going down to OKC.

As for the comment about being open for business, listen to the audio of it. Stauffer asks MacT if he's done for the summer or if there's more trades coming and, after a bit of an awkward pause, MacT finally says he's open 24/7 to do anything that will improve the team. That doesn't sound like someone who's actively perusing deals to me. It sounds like someone who is basically done but obviously would never close the door if someone came calling. MacT said he wanted to move Hemsky and I don't doubt that continue on that front, but otherwise I think he's done making roster moves. And if nothing good comes from the Hemsky offers, I wouldn't be surprised to see him back next year either.

That's just my take on things. Obviously, there can be more than one interpretation here.
That's pretty much my take as well.

I think there could be a deal that opens up though as teams shuffle their rosters and certain players would become waiver eligible.

Hopefully the Oilers can take advantage of those opportunities to improve their bottom 6... because I'm with others in saying it doesn't look too hot as it stands.

Old
07-12-2013, 02:21 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 267
Bill Waters ripping someone from the leafs? I'm just so gosh darn shocked.

Old
07-12-2013, 02:22 PM
Brewster

Is anyone else seeing all of these RFAs (ie Alzner, McDonagh) taking deals below the market value and getting antsy that we don't have a "hometown discount" type contract of our own? For our cap to work moving forward Gagner CANNOT be making over 5M.

Old
07-12-2013, 02:28 PM
Sethis

So looking at the Leafs cap situation, they have less than 10 million to sign Kadri, Gunarsson and Franson still.

I'm thinking... if Gagner talks go south (as arbitration would indicate they are doing), what about throwing a $5mil offersheet at Kadri? All 5 of their top forwards have NTC/MCs, they just traded for Bolland, and they'll be hard pressed to find a taker for Liles, the guy who would be their only other legitimate out for cap space. Furthermore, I could see them thinking of Lupul-Bozak-Kessel and JVR-Bolland-Clarkson as a legitimate top 6. Add in the fact that Kadri absolutely loves Coach Eakins and has another Muslim star to play with. The script kind of writes itself.

It also frees up Gagner as trade bait, and trade bait that looks alot better than Hemsky or Schultz at this point.

In all likelihood they match and make it work, but I always like seeing the Leafs get screwed over. Never liked them since the Domi/Corson/Tucker days.

Old
07-12-2013, 02:31 PM
Sethis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewster View Post
Is anyone else seeing all of these RFAs (ie Alzner, McDonagh) taking deals below the market value and getting antsy that we don't have a "hometown discount" type contract of our own? For our cap to work moving forward Gagner CANNOT be making over 5M.
I'm thinking we're seeing very different markets developing for defenseman and forwards, especially during RFA years.

I can't help thinking the offer sheets sent to guys like Kesler, Vanek, and Penner during RFA years is partly responsible for that. RFA forwards aren't quite as secure as RFA D (only guy I can remember being OSed is Hjalmarsson), and that has given agents added leverage. Just a theory.

Old
07-12-2013, 02:32 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethis View Post
So looking at the Leafs cap situation, they have less than 10 million to sign Kadri, Gunarsson and Franson still.

I'm thinking... if Gagner talks go south (as arbitration would indicate they are doing), what about throwing a $5mil offersheet at Kadri? All 5 of their top forwards have NTC/MCs, they just traded for Bolland, and they'll be hard pressed to find a taker for Liles, the guy who would be their only other legitimate out for cap space. Furthermore, I could see them thinking of Lupul-Bozak-Kessel and JVR-Bolland-Clarkson as a legitimate top 6. Add in the fact that Kadri absolutely loves Coach Eakins and has another Muslim star to play with. The script kind of writes itself.

It also frees up Gagner as trade bait, and trade bait that looks alot better than Hemsky or Schultz at this point.

In all likelihood they match and make it work, but I always like seeing the Leafs get screwed over. Never liked them since the Domi/Corson/Tucker days.
trading our second means we cant make such an offersheet

I think

Old
07-12-2013, 02:34 PM
40oz

The Oilers really still need to upgrade their center depth, I'd be choked if they started the year with Lander as the 4C.

They need some one who's capable of playing 14-15 minutes a night, maybe play a 3/4th line center role with Gordon. There isn't much available through free agency, unless you're interested in giving a guy like Lombardi a shot, or maybe Mueller who can play C or wing.

Old
07-12-2013, 02:34 PM
Sethis

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
trading our second means we cant make such an offersheet

I think
Compensation for a 5 million dollar contract would be a 1st and a 3rd.

Source: http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/20...e-offer-sheets

Old
07-12-2013, 02:42 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

MacT has no interest in Penner, according to his agent talking to Stauffer on Ched.

Old
07-12-2013, 02:48 PM
Del Preston
Fire Eakins

vCash: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
LOL Stauffer just ripped David Staples. Nice
What did he say?

Old
07-12-2013, 02:56 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethis View Post
I'm thinking we're seeing very different markets developing for defenseman and forwards, especially during RFA years.

I can't help thinking the offer sheets sent to guys like Kesler, Vanek, and Penner during RFA years is partly responsible for that. RFA forwards aren't quite as secure as RFA D (only guy I can remember being OSed is Hjalmarsson), and that has given agents added leverage. Just a theory.
Shea Weber was offer sheeted recently as well.

Old
07-12-2013, 02:57 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Preston View Post
What did he say?
That he doesn't want to see a blog post from Staples that "Stauffer is name dropping Phaneuf as possible trade option" tomorrow, and emphasized that he's heard nothing about any Phaneuf to Edmonton rumors.

Old
07-12-2013, 02:58 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
The Oilers really still need to upgrade their center depth, I'd be choked if they started the year with Lander as the 4C.

They need some one who's capable of playing 14-15 minutes a night, maybe play a 3/4th line center role with Gordon. There isn't much available through free agency, unless you're interested in giving a guy like Lombardi a shot, or maybe Mueller who can play C or wing.
It might not matter. There's lots of chatter on Twitter that the Oilers might be a three line team under Eakins. I'm okay with that. I've always hated the idea of absentmindedly rolling your lines.

Old
07-12-2013, 02:58 PM
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
Well, I certainly hope you're right, but I read the tea leaves quite differently. Smyth is coming back, as is Gagner. After Gordon was signed MacT was asked if he needed another center, and he said he was comfortable with what they had now. Jones was re-signed. Joensuu, from what I gather, was brought in to play for the big team, not OKC. Brown will be back. Eager is going to get another chance. They have 9 Dmen signed when you include Larsen, Potter, and Klefbom. I think 7 will stay, with 2 of the 3 I just listed going down to OKC.

As for the comment about being open for business, listen to the audio of it. Stauffer asks MacT if he's done for the summer or if there's more trades coming and, after a bit of an awkward pause, MacT finally says he's open 24/7 to do anything that will improve the team. That doesn't sound like someone who's actively perusing deals to me. It sounds like someone who is basically done but obviously would never close the door if someone came calling. MacT said he wanted to move Hemsky and I don't doubt that continue on that front, but otherwise I think he's done making roster moves. And if nothing good comes from the Hemsky offers, I wouldn't be surprised to see him back next year either.

That's just my take on things. Obviously, there can be more than one interpretation here.
Speculation on my part, but it seemed to me like he still had some lines in the water, that talks had died down perhaps with other GMs like he'd been engaged with earlier, when he was initiating a lot more of the trade talks, and that now he was no longer in a crisis mode with his roster. I felt that he was now sitting back a bit more and waiting for other GMs to come to him, as he's dealing more from a position of strength now than he was earlier this summer (around the time of the draft, where he had significant roster holes to fill). He's successfully filled a lot of his roster holes with UFAs and without moving a lot of players (only Paajarvi and Horcoff). He is in a position now where he has some assets that other teams want, and he can afford to move some of those assets for a. additional roster upgrades.

Being in a far less pressured situation to make a lot of deals is a good thing in any kind of negotiation. I just don't think that MacT's completely satisfied with what he's accomplished on the roster this summer, although he's significantly closer to where he wanted to be.

As long as he's fielding calls from other GMs who are looking to make moves, there's a good chance that a trade fit will come and a deal can happen. Signing Ference made a trade for Brayden Coburn less of a necessity, but I'm sure that a deal for Coburn is still a possibility if Homer wants to dance some more. I also think, as you also mentioned, MacT has a surplus of defenseman and if we've learned anything about MacT from his coaching days, it's that he is a tinkerer, and he won't be easily satisfied. MacT also hasn't fulfilled his increase of size and toughness mandate yet. After Hemsky is dealt, he'll have some cap space to move on other players as well. I just can't see that he's finished, but he is being patient, yes.

Old
07-12-2013, 03:03 PM
Del Preston
Fire Eakins

vCash: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
That he doesn't want to see a blog post from Staples that "Stauffer is name dropping Phaneuf as possible trade option" tomorrow, and emphasized that he's heard nothing about any Phaneuf to Edmonton rumors.
lol. Thanks.

Old
07-12-2013, 03:04 PM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Anyone thinking we might me starting the year with Hemsky?

Old
07-12-2013, 03:07 PM
Brewster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Preston View Post
What did he say?
Phaneuf is the most overated and "undernourished" player in NHL history. He openly invited MacT to phone up Nonis and take the so called trash off their hands. Said he has no leadership skills as well and that the only team in the entire NHL that would take Phaneuf off Calgary's hands when he was traded to the Leafs was indeed Toronto.

Old
07-12-2013, 03:09 PM
Oilception

Quote:
Originally Posted by notloilersfan View Post
If we do, I dont see a big harm. Id rather have Hemsky on the third line that trade him for a Horcoffesqu return. If we can get something good im all for trading him but if the return is bad, then just keep him. Hemsky being on the third line is not a huge worry in my mind.

Old
07-12-2013, 03:12 PM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

Personally I'd rather pay Kadri $5 million on an OS than give Clarkson $6 million which it sounds like the Oilers wanted to do.

I highly doubt they'd go the OS route with Kadri but I certainly think it would be a "bold" move. Leafs would definitely still match though.

Old
07-12-2013, 03:14 PM
JSC
Registered Sniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by notloilersfan View Post
Possibly. If you think about it, we could get a bigger return at the deadline than we can now. A team can pull a Columbus and be serious about the playoffs, making them desperate to add an offence threat like Hemmer.

Old
07-12-2013, 03:16 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

If Hemsky starts, he's just playing to increase his trade value before the deadline.

I guess that's fine.

Old
07-12-2013, 03:23 PM
ToeDrag83
Down, Not Out

Our top 6 seems to be set in stone right now. It'll be some variation of RNH, Eberle, Gagner, Hall, Yakupov, and Perron.

Our bottom 6, save for perhaps Ryan Jones, looks absolutely paper thin for scoring depth. Gordon is a great piece, but I wouldn't count on him for points.

Of the options we have, Hemsky would at the very least add an offensive dynamic to the 3rd line. He'll get weaker competition in line matchups, and as a result he might thrive a little from being in the bottom 6. His value would maximize at the trade deadline, and we could move him then for something a little more substantial.

If MacT is done for this off-season, I don't see the harm in keeping Hemsky around.

/fanboy bias

Closed Thread