HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Evander Kane

Old
07-12-2013, 12:23 PM
iKiwi

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preddownsouth View Post
The year before the lockout the Predators has the best power play, were 8th in goals/game and total goals. They did not have ONE PLAYER even get 60 points that year. And tell me how well has Tampa Bay done with their all-world sniper? I think they picked ahead of the Preds in the draft didn't they?
This, lets wait and see for the first game before we freak out on anything.

Forsberg might be that sniper we have been hoping for, he may not. Its the same gamble that we were going to take on Barkov, Drouin or MacKinnon before the draft. Forsberg might not be considered "elite" but atleast Poile and evreyone else hopes he is.

Now back to Evander.. I would love to have that elite forward in our lineup, but I rather have this team score by committee then trade our team away for one that one elite forward. The predator way hasn't given us a cup yet, but it worked well 2 years ago even before we got Rads and AK here.

Lets see what this team can do

iKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 12:37 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
The year before the lockout the Predators has the best power play, were 8th in goals/game and total goals. They did not have ONE PLAYER even get 60 points that year. And tell me how well has Tampa Bay done with their all-world sniper? I think they picked ahead of the Preds in the draft didn't they?
Tell me how well Nashville did this year with more or less the same forward group? Chalk it up to injuries all you like, but even when they were healthy, they didn't produce.

I, too, am still hopeful to see one more move made, even if it comes at the expense of Spaling or Smith.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 01:01 PM
Byrddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Tell me how well Nashville did this year with more or less the same forward group? Chalk it up to injuries all you like, but even when they were healthy, they didn't produce.

I, too, am still hopeful to see one more move made, even if it comes at the expense of Spaling or Smith.

This is very much the status of this team. Even with the players added this is not a very good offensive team and it will be a long season. There is not much chance of landing the help needed at this point. DP has spent the money all wanted spent and the team is pretty much same talent level of last year. It does no good to argue injuries, The team was struggling before the injuries and were lucky to be in playoff position before the total meltdown. There is little help even now in Milwaukee to step in right now so DP had to settle for Culls and for those that pine for Grabo, there is a reason Toronto let him go....

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 01:06 PM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
now that we are divisional partners no ****ing way we trade you Kane

bigplay41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 01:12 PM
iKiwi

Quote:

Spaling or Smith wont get us that sniper everyone wants, even if you add Ekholm and Ellis. They don't have much value..

Lets be realistic here, its gonna cost us Jones, Josi or Klein, then we are in the hole in defense again.

Thinking that a package of Spaling, Smith, Ellis and a pick would get us an elite offensive player is no better then the people offering Simmonds, Couts, Meszaros and a 1st for Weber.

Like I said in my previous posts, and I will say it again. I rather keep our defense like it is, see what this Jones kid can do and lets see if we can get another 2011 and get the best out of everyone on the team.

Old
07-12-2013, 01:16 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:

I, too, am still hopeful to see one more move made, even if it comes at the expense of Josi, Wilson, or Forsberg.
For the type of acquisition a lot of you are wanting us to get, you'd better start thinking in the above terms, rather than a third-line RFA going to arbitration and a $2M healthy scratch.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 01:36 PM
maplepred

Quote:
He has gone full 'this team sucks Poile sucks' mode since Barkov didn't fall to the team.
You mad bro?

Only thing I said is that we needed to bring in a sniper this offseason, and it didnt happen and I don't think it will. Drafting jones was our only option at four after the big three snipers were gone, that's not poile's fault.

Maybe free agents wouldn't sign here, because they don't want to be the only guy that is capable of putting up 70-80 points, they don't want their own stock to drop for when they are ufa again.

Stalberg is not a sniper, neither is 37 year old Cullen. Nystrom and Hendricks are bottom like grinders making big bucks, so I said I haven't been overly impressed with offseason moves.

Why would trotz and poile say they were going to replace erat, then not do it. They know how badly our scoring was even with erat.

I never once said poile sucks, I like poile and trotz. I just wish he could make a trade to bring us a true top line giu we have lacked for quite some time now. That's all.
A guy we can put on the ice if we are down a goal with couple minutes left. A guy with more offensive flair that we can rely on more than a 45 point hornqvist or a 45 point fisher. Our offense is weak, and any pred fan can admit it, hell, the whole NHL says it.

So please don't put words in my mouth. I never said poile sucks, I just said he needs to make a move, and he does. Our offensive is worse than it was last year currently.

maplepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 01:43 PM
Blue Dot
F0rsbergFan21

Outsider of sorts who banwagoned you guys when you brought in the first Forsberg

It would cost a lot to get Kane, just to echo thought. As much of a hassle he has been off ice, the community still loves him because of how he plays the game. While the scoring consistency has yet to sink hold, the effort is there.

His size and speed are amazing and he creates a lot of chances. He's yet to have a centerman he's meshed with. When that happens...look out.

Now, this is not to bash NSH, but I don't think Kane would be happy to come here. He, right now, would want to go to a big hockey market. He is a business oriented guy off the ice to make more money off his image.

That said, once he got to NSH, become loved by the fans instantly and found he could run the town (a very fun town at that!) he'd come around.

I think it would be cool to see Kane in NSH. I love him in WPG too though. I just think WPG could let him go easy if the package was right. The thing is, it has to look like a win for them on paper or their fans will go nuts, and it's still risky since Kane has the chance to turn into a monster. You never want to always have your name associated as the GM who traded XYZ!!!

not to mention his toughness. always nice to have a legit PF

Blue Dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 01:57 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplepred View Post
You mad bro?

Only thing I said is that we needed to bring in a sniper this offseason, and it didnt happen and I don't think it will. Drafting jones was our only option at four after the big three snipers were gone, that's not poile's fault.

Maybe free agents wouldn't sign here, because they don't want to be the only guy that is capable of putting up 70-80 points, they don't want their own stock to drop for when they are ufa again.

Stalberg is not a sniper, neither is 37 year old Cullen. Nystrom and Hendricks are bottom like grinders making big bucks, so I said I haven't been overly impressed with offseason moves.

Why would trotz and poile say they were going to replace erat, then not do it. They know how badly our scoring was even with erat.

I never once said poile sucks, I like poile and trotz. I just wish he could make a trade to bring us a true top line giu we have lacked for quite some time now. That's all.
A guy we can put on the ice if we are down a goal with couple minutes left. A guy with more offensive flair that we can rely on more than a 45 point hornqvist or a 45 point fisher. Our offense is weak, and any pred fan can admit it, hell, the whole NHL says it.

So please don't put words in my mouth. I never said poile sucks, I just said he needs to make a move, and he does. Our offensive is worse than it was last year currently.
I'm going to disagree with the offense being worse than last years. We should be able to maintain possession far better this year. We also have more speed.

Like it or not, this is a Trotz team from top to bottom now. Notice all the centers are basically the same type player on the first 3 lines? Notice there's a big body player and a speed winger for each of the top 3 lines? Notice the character throughout the line-up?

Will it work? I have no idea. I think it could. I also think there's a black cloud over us though, and just keep waiting for the rain......

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 02:12 PM
iKiwi

Quote:
You mad bro?

Our offense wasn't the only problem last year, everything was. That, my friend, is why we finished 27th in the whooooollleee hockey league. Not because we didn't have that super sniper you've been craving about.

Blame it on what you want, it was a bad year. Look at 2011 though, no snipers and we still finished high in scoring.

Oh and btw, you said we missed out on the 3 snipers, well Forsberg, Aberg and Stalberg (Berg? lol) are all considered snipers well above Barkov. I would of loved Barkov on this team, but a sniper he is not.

Old
07-12-2013, 02:19 PM
maplepred

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I'm going to disagree with the offense being worse than last years. We should be able to maintain possession far better this year. We also have more speed.

Like it or not, this is a Trotz team from top to bottom now. Notice all the centers are basically the same type player on the first 3 lines? Notice there's a big body player and a speed winger for each of the top 3 lines? Notice the character throughout the line-up?

Will it work? I have no idea. I think it could. I also think there's a black cloud over us though, and just keep waiting for the rain......

Lets compare last year offense to this year,

Remember the key word is 'offense'

Wilson - Wilson
Hornqvist - hornqvist
Legwand - legwand
Fisher - fisher
Erat >>>>>> stalberg
Spaling >>>> hendricks
Halischuk >>>> nystrom
Bourque - bourque
Kostitsyn << Cullen
Smith - smith
Goose - goose
Beck - beck
Clune - clune

Anyone that thinks forsberg is going to light it up will be sadly mistaken. He doesn't have the talent around him to make plays, and he is only 19, I mean if we had of got barkov nobody expected him to contribute right away, and he is way better size and talent wise than forsberg.

I hate to say it, but we are going to struggle to score goals big time this season.

Having possibly best defense and goaltending in the league is great, but the other guys will score eventually, and if we can score, we don't win. Simple.

We need more balance like Chicago (who just won cup), they have elite forwards and defense as well.

Old
07-12-2013, 02:23 PM
maplepred

Quote:
Originally Posted by iKiwi View Post
Oh and btw, you said we missed out on the 3 snipers, well Forsberg, Aberg and Stalberg (Berg? lol) are all considered snipers well above Barkov. I would of loved Barkov on this team, but a sniper he is not.
Are you kidding?? You think barkov had less potential than aberg, stalberg and forsberg??

Also, we all know this team needs a sniper, I'm not alone on this. Anyone who thinks we wouldn't benefit from a sniper has never watched a game of ours. We need one guys.

Not trying to be difficult and if I am, I'm sorry, I just really think we need to make a move for a goal scorer/sniper.

Last thing I want is weber or rinne demanding a trade because they feel we can't win here. Then if that happens, we will never ever get free agents, and that is already bad for us.

Old
07-12-2013, 02:35 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:

Wilson - Wilson
Hornqvist - hornqvist
Legwand - legwand
Fisher - fisher
Erat >>>>>> stalberg
Spaling >>>> hendricks
Halischuk >>>> nystrom
Bourque - bourque
Kostitsyn << Cullen
Smith - smith
Goose - goose
Beck - beck
Clune - clune

Anyone that thinks forsberg is going to light it up will be sadly mistaken. He doesn't have the talent around him to make plays, and he is only 19, I mean if we had of got barkov nobody expected him to contribute right away, and he is way better size and talent wise than forsberg.

I hate to say it, but we are going to struggle to score goals big time this season.

Having possibly best defense and goaltending in the league is great, but the other guys will score eventually, and if we can score, we don't win. Simple.

We need more balance like Chicago (who just won cup), they have elite forwards and defense as well.
Some of your >>>>>> are a bit exaggerated.

Stalberg had 4 more goals than Erat, one less point, definitely not a significant step down.

Nystrom had 2 less goals than Spaling, two less points, again, not a significant step down.

Hendricks had the same number of goals, three less points, than Halischuk, again, not a significant step down.

Cullen to Kostitsyn, though, is a 12 point difference, and is a solid upgrade.

+Forsberg

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 02:36 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Wilson - Wilson
Hornqvist - hornqvist
Legwand - legwand
Fisher - fisher
Erat >>>>>> stalberg
Spaling >>>> hendricks
Halischuk >>>> nystrom
Bourque - bourque
Kostitsyn << Cullen
Smith - smith
Goose - goose
Beck - beck
Clune - clune

Wilson - Wilson, correct, but I'm hoping he continues the improvements he made last offseason and manages to stay a bit more healthy. Remember, Wilson was on pace for 62 points.

Martin Erat last season 5 goals 19 assist, 24 points - Viktor Stalberg 9 goals 14 assist 23 points... So, it's not looking like your >>>>> is accurate. Especially since Erat is getting older and Stalberg is only in his 4th season. One of them got top pp time and 18 minutes a game on the wing last season, I'll let you figure out which.... Career wise you could be right, but right now, I don't think so. Let's let Stalberg have a career before we judge him though.

Now let's take Halischuk >>>> Nystrom....

Nystrom last season = 7 goals 4 assist, Halischuk 5 goals 6 assist. Now which one brings something else to the table that maybe doesn't show as easy on the stat sheet? BTW, Nystrom did score 16 goals the prior year. So yeah, going to shoot down the Halischuk>>>>Nystrom line too.....

Also, did I miss Spaling being traded? Did Trotz release his lines yet?
Bourque should continue to improve and hopefully Halischuk is more healthy too.

Beck-Beck, another one that can't improve after his first 16 NHL games????

Young players improve, we're banking on it.

Last edited by triggrman: 07-12-2013 at 02:46 PM.
Old
07-12-2013, 02:41 PM
Mercalius

Quote:
I disagree with this. Barkov is bigger, no doubt, but I think their talent levels are a lot closer than you're implying. They were both ranked the no. 1 European skaters out of their respective draft classes.

Also, for what the Preds currently have on roster - Forsberg may be the better player for what we need. Barkov's ceiling is that of a no. 1 center yes, but it may take years to attain that, and there's also the very real likelihood that he never reaches his max potential and could be another Leggy/Fisher/Cullen type. Forsberg, to my understanding, is being groomed as a pure winger and could very likely develop into the sniper/pure goal scorer we need so badly. If they both reach their ceiling, it's basically a wash on who is better for our franchise. However, as of now and the next several years - what do we need more? A good but not great center that could become elite, or a good but not great winger that could become elite? I'd say the second. I was/am a huge fan of Barkov and was quite bummed he was picked at 2 after spending the offseason falling in love with him (under the general consensus idea he would be our pick), but we can't forget what we have in Forsberg nor overly-amplify the contributions of what Barkov is likely to do in his first two years in the league.

Last edited by Mercalius: 07-12-2013 at 02:53 PM.
Mercalius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 02:53 PM
maplepred

Maybe my >>>> are exaggerated lol, my bad.

But I mean erat has proven he is a 60 point guy most seasons consistently, stalberg has not proven anything really, I know he's young but I'm betting erat beats him in points. Just my opinion.

Cullen is older than erat by years, and is only going to get worse rather than better.

Hendricks and nystrom are just fourth line guys that won't get much ice time.

All I'm saying, is we could use more offensive punch, am I wrong to think that guys?!

Old
07-12-2013, 03:05 PM
iKiwi

Quote:
Are you kidding?? You think barkov had less potential than aberg, stalberg and forsberg??

Also, we all know this team needs a sniper, I'm not alone on this. Anyone who thinks we wouldn't benefit from a sniper has never watched a game of ours. We need one guys.

Not trying to be difficult and if I am, I'm sorry, I just really think we need to make a move for a goal scorer/sniper.

Last thing I want is weber or rinne demanding a trade because they feel we can't win here. Then if that happens, we will never ever get free agents, and that is already bad for us.
I never said anything about potential, I agree that Barkov has the most potential between the forwards I named. What I did say was that the Bergs are better "snipers" then Barkov.

Well, look at it this way, if Weber asks for a trade, most likely we will get our sniper in the trade lol

Just because I live in Canada doesn't mean I don't watch the games. Believe me, I never miss any lol

Old
07-12-2013, 03:09 PM
maplepred

Quote:
Originally Posted by iKiwi View Post
I never said anything about potential, I agree that Barkov has the most potential between the forwards I named. What I did say was that the Bergs are better "snipers" then Barkov.

Well, look at it this way, if Weber asks for a trade, most likely we will get our sniper in the trade lol

Just because I live in Canada doesn't mean I don't watch the games. Believe me, I never miss any lol
Right on! Your Canadian as well?! Same here! Where abouts in Canada?? I'm in Ontario.

But I still think barkov will be more of a sniper than our berg's. the kid set records in the FEL as a 17 year old. He is very gifted offensively. Damn I wish we had of got him! Lol

Old
07-12-2013, 03:15 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Maybe my >>>> are exaggerated lol, my bad.

But I mean erat has proven he is a 60 point guy most seasons consistently, stalberg has not proven anything really, I know he's young but I'm betting erat beats him in points. Just my opinion.

Cullen is older than erat by years, and is only going to get worse rather than better.

Hendricks and nystrom are just fourth line guys that won't get much ice time.

All I'm saying, is we could use more offensive punch, am I wrong to think that guys?!
No, you're not wrong at all.

What I'm saying to you though is this is a Trotz style team... I'm betting the top 9 get's close to 16-18 minutes a game each and the bottom line the remainder. It will be a high energy hard working line-up from top to bottom. Speed and an aggressive forcheck will be the call signs.

You know, all the things we weren't last season.

BTW, I don't thing Erat has ever had a 60 point season, maybe a 60 point pace but not a full 60 point season.

Old
07-12-2013, 03:22 PM
Jet
Drop the danged puck

vCash: 50
Hey guys... absolutely LOVE Nashville. Been on several occasions and been to a couple of Preds games at Bridgestone.

Like you, the Jets are a small market team who don't exactly have marquee free agents banging down our door. We need to hold onto the talent we have.

Despite the OP saying something about rumors of Kane being on the block that is absolutely not the case. He is an absolute beast, still 21 and showed a commitment to the team (and vice versa by signing a long term deal)

Hopefully you guys find the scoring you are looking for. I think Grabovski would fit either of our teams pretty nicely.

07-12-2013, 03:25 PM
Preddownsouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
No, you're not wrong at all.

What I'm saying to you though is this is a Trotz style team... I'm betting the top 9 get's close to 16-18 minutes a game each and the bottom line the remainder. It will be a high energy hard working line-up from top to bottom. Speed and an aggressive forcheck will be the call signs.

You know, all the things we weren't last season.

BTW, I don't thing Erat has ever had a 60 point season, maybe a 60 point pace but not a full 60 point season.
He got close but never did.

Preddownsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 03:26 PM
Preddownsouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
Hey guys... absolutely LOVE Nashville. Been on several occasions and been to a couple of Preds games at Bridgestone.

Like you, the Jets are a small market team who don't exactly have marquee free agents banging down our door. We need to hold onto the talent we have.

Despite the OP saying something about rumors of Kane being on the block that is absolutely not the case. He is an absolute beast, still 21 and showed a commitment to the team (and vice versa by signing a long term deal)

Hopefully you guys find the scoring you are looking for. I think Grabovski would fit either of our teams pretty nicely.
Ahh Grabbo...would be nice.

Preddownsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 03:37 PM
maplepred

I stand corrected on erat, I thought he had hit sixty points before. 57 twice though isn't bad.

Old
07-12-2013, 03:54 PM
iKiwi

Quote:
Right on! Your Canadian as well?! Same here! Where abouts in Canada?? I'm in Ontario.

But I still think barkov will be more of a sniper than our berg's. the kid set records in the FEL as a 17 year old. He is very gifted offensively. Damn I wish we had of got him! Lol
I'm in NB

Old
07-12-2013, 03:55 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

I know this. The Preds will piss people off on the ice and in the stands

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote