HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sharks Prospect Info/Discussion Numero Siete

Closed Thread

Old
07-06-2013, 02:44 PM
Kitten Mittons

vCash: 500
Yeah I figure that's why they traded him. Pretty significant drop in points.

Old
07-06-2013, 02:56 PM
Juxtaposer
RIP Long Beach Nativ

vCash: 50
It's not just the points, though I'm sure they were a red flag, but I've heard from multiple people that Moffie looked absolutely lost on the ice this year. How strange.

Old
07-06-2013, 03:41 PM

This trade may be best described as "we got rid of a guy we don't really want for a guy they didn't really want".

No downside at all...

Old
07-06-2013, 06:59 PM
spintheblackcircle
$$$$$$$$

Bigos is HUGE. And nasty.

07-12-2013, 01:47 AM
KirbyDots

http://thepinkpuck.com/2013/06/21/ca...ct-matt-nieto/

Strength is something Im working on this offseason along with gaining weight. I have a very strict training program Im sticking to right now, Nieto said about his offseason. I go on the ice about twice a week for skill work. Now its more strength training and off-ice workouts.

Next season, Nieto will join the Sharks organization full time. In all likelihood, he will be in the AHL with Worcester while he continues to develop his game. Im a reliable two-way forward. Im mostly known for my offensive ability. I think my defensive game is something thats overlooked a little bit. I think my best asset is my speed, Nieto said.

Old
07-12-2013, 01:55 AM
Kitten Mittons

Bigos looks like a nerdier Blake Griffin.

Old
07-12-2013, 04:21 AM
OrrNumber4

I am surprised how everyone is omitting Tarasov from the NHL roster.

Old
07-12-2013, 11:11 AM
LeeIFBB
Teflon Doug

Tarasov is intriguing.

Old
07-12-2013, 02:22 PM
Juxtaposer
RIP Long Beach Nativ

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrNumber4 View Post
I am surprised how everyone is omitting Tarasov from the NHL roster.
Do you honestly think Tarasov could make the NHL this year?

Old
07-12-2013, 02:31 PM
do0glas

tarasov-tierney-nieto third line. do it.

Old
07-12-2013, 03:43 PM

If Tarasov plays a significant amount of NHL games this season San Jose is likely in big trouble...

Old
07-12-2013, 03:49 PM
anthonyyy

vCash: 300
Is Tierney going back to juniors for another season? Can someone post a projected Worcester lineup assuming Nieto and Tennyson don't make the big club? It's exciting to have prospects to follow again.

Old
07-12-2013, 04:11 PM
hockeyball

vCash: 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyyy View Post
Is Tierney going back to juniors for another season? Can someone post a projected Worcester lineup assuming Nieto and Tennyson don't make the big club? It's exciting to have prospects to follow again.
None of these are new prospects... Most of us have been following them excitedly since they were drafted

Old
07-12-2013, 04:15 PM
anthonyyy

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
None of these are new prospects... Most of us have been following them excitedly since they were drafted
You're right...I'm slacking! Is it too late to hop on the Boudreau bandwagon?

Old
07-12-2013, 04:18 PM
Alaskanice

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyyy View Post
You're right...I'm slacking! Is it too late to hop on the Boudreau bandwagon?
Never too late. I saw him in the game last night, he has speed and skill and is fun to watch.
Talked to him a bit at the autograph session, smiled a lot and was gracious.

Old
07-12-2013, 08:45 PM

I just read David Pollak's latest blog post (http://blogs.mercurynews.com/sharks/...ns-are-coming/) and was stunned to silence over something he quotes Tim Burke saying about Taylor Doherty:

Quote:
“He’s pretty close,” Burke said of Doherty. “He kind of took over the camp. He’s a leader-type and that’s really good to see because most of the guys that have made it for us have shown that ability to lead in these, even though it’s a small thing. Doing things right, time after time, it adds up after awhile.”
Unless there's been some sort of explosion in talent level in three months I have to assume Burke is saying Doherty is "pretty close" to being a solid AHL defenseman because the last I saw Doherty wasn't close to being that yet.

Old
07-12-2013, 08:58 PM
do0glas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
I just read David Pollak's latest blog post (http://blogs.mercurynews.com/sharks/...ns-are-coming/) and was stunned to silence over something he quotes Tim Burke saying about Taylor Doherty:

Unless there's been some sort of explosion in talent level in three months I have to assume Burke is saying Doherty is "pretty close" to being a solid AHL defenseman because the last I saw Doherty wasn't close to being that yet.
yep, thought the same thing when i read it, but breakout years are breakouts because of the vast improvement. sometimes it just clicks and players figure it out. whether its through comfort in a system, good offseason, no injuries...whatever. at least thats been what ive noticed.

Old
07-12-2013, 09:19 PM
sharkfan95

How did the goalies such as anderson or troy grosenick look?

Old
07-12-2013, 10:40 PM
AJ SF4L
#GoSharks

Quote:
I'd say he looked solid. Definitely not NHL ready, but better than I had expected based on your's and Speed's reporting. Made some good plays and stayed in position. Don't think he was ever beat by someone rushing down the wing, but definitely wasn't fleet of foot. Just my thoughts on seeing him for the first time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkfan95 View Post
How did the goalies such as anderson or troy grosenick look?
Anderson and Grosenick both looked solid. Each only let in one goal and it was more the scoring player's ability than lack of effort or bad positioning. Both looked focused and kept track of the play really well. Grosenick saw significantly more pucks than Anderson and performed exceptionally.

Bergvik was around the same as them, just beaten twice instead of once. One was a weird hopper from Emanuelsson and another was a great move by Nieto. Bergvik had a big OT save on Hertl (who had been run into by the ref and kept going) and some nice stops in the shootout. Definitely more emotive than Niemi, with some great reactions to goals going in, as well as some of his saves.

Racine was pretty bad. Bad positioning on all three he let in, and was psyched out in the shootout by a couple guys. First goal he let in was a bad angle shot from the boards, second goal was a floating slapshot from Bigos, and the OT goal was possible re-direction or nifty move by Tarasov. Mueller absolutely fooled him in the shootout. I honestly don't see him being offered a contract by San Jose.

Old
07-13-2013, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ SF4L View Post
I'd say he looked solid. Definitely not NHL ready, but better than I had expected based on your's and Speed's reporting. Made some good plays and stayed in position. Don't think he was ever beat by someone rushing down the wing, but definitely wasn't fleet of foot. Just my thoughts on seeing him for the first time.
As a two year pro against all those young kids Doherty should have dominated out there...anyone with skill makes him look like a traffic cone. He's also hurt by the fact he hardly hits anyone and has no offensive upside al all.

Old
07-13-2013, 11:30 AM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ SF4L View Post

Anderson and Grosenick both looked solid. Each only let in one goal and it was more the scoring player's ability than lack of effort or bad positioning. Both looked focused and kept track of the play really well. Grosenick saw significantly more pucks than Anderson and performed exceptionally.

Bergvik was around the same as them, just beaten twice instead of once. One was a weird hopper from Emanuelsson and another was a great move by Nieto. Bergvik had a big OT save on Hertl (who had been run into by the ref and kept going) and some nice stops in the shootout. Definitely more emotive than Niemi, with some great reactions to goals going in, as well as some of his saves.

Racine was pretty bad. Bad positioning on all three he let in, and was psyched out in the shootout by a couple guys. First goal he let in was a bad angle shot from the boards, second goal was a floating slapshot from Bigos, and the OT goal was possible re-direction or nifty move by Tarasov. Mueller absolutely fooled him in the shootout. I honestly don't see him being offered a contract by San Jose.
Being emotional as a goalie is not always a good thing. Emotional goalies are easier to get rattled and taken off there game.

That is one thing that is good about niemi he does not let bad goals bother him, he just wipes it from his memory and goes back to work to make the next stop. He doesn't overthink things about what he could of done differently, on the previous shots that beat him.

He might do these things during intermissions (going over tapes of the period to see tendencies that are forming).

Old
07-15-2013, 01:53 PM
druncan

Quote:
As a two year pro against all those young kids Doherty should have dominated out there...anyone with skill makes him look like a traffic cone. He's also hurt by the fact he hardly hits anyone and has no offensive upside al all.
Well, I suppose it's a positive sign that he's dominating over those he should. It's at least somewhat encouraging, and maybe he did figure something out in the offseason. It's a make-or-break year for him regardless.

As odd as it may sound, I trust you Worcester guys' consistent analyses throughout the years over Burkes' PR quote regarding prospect camp. Maybe he truly did see something new in Doherty that wasn't there before, but until I read corroborating updates from you, Speed, and the other posters here that regularly watch the games, I won't believe it.

Old
07-15-2013, 03:14 PM
sr228

Quote:
Originally Posted by druncan View Post
Well, I suppose it's a positive sign that he's dominating over those he should. It's at least somewhat encouraging, and maybe he did figure something out in the offseason. It's a make-or-break year for him regardless.

As odd as it may sound, I trust you Worcester guys' consistent analyses throughout the years over Burkes' PR quote regarding prospect camp. Maybe he truly did see something new in Doherty that wasn't there before, but until I read corroborating updates from you, Speed, and the other posters here that regularly watch the games, I won't believe it.
I think the most important thing you said here is "Burke's PR quote" as that's exactly what it is. The Sharks scouting staff (including Burke) are very good at what they do but I wouldn't take anything anyone in the Sharks org says publicly as anything more then PR / lip service/ whatever you want to call it.

I thought Doherty got better as the season went on and yes, he should dominate at the development camp (which he kinda did). He turned 22 in March and I haven't seen any reason to think he can't continue to get better.

Old
07-15-2013, 03:29 PM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post
I think the most important thing you said here is "Burke's PR quote" as that's exactly what it is. The Sharks scouting staff (including Burke) are very good at what they do but I wouldn't take anything anyone in the Sharks org says publicly as anything more then PR / lip service/ whatever you want to call it.

I thought Doherty got better as the season went on and yes, he should dominate at the development camp (which he kinda did). He turned 22 in March and I haven't seen any reason to think he can't continue to get better.
While I understand that getting a bottom-pairing, shut-down defenseman from a 2nd round pick is actually really good value, you really hope for more.

I haven't seen much of Doherty, but I feel that if he improved his lateral skating ability and balance, he'd be a much more dominant player. Similar to Cheechoo and his speed.

Old
07-15-2013, 03:42 PM

Doherty needs to learn that hockey is a contact sport. Until he does he isn't going anywhere...

Closed Thread