HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade and Proposals Thread XXXVII: Is MacT mostly done?

Closed Thread

Old
07-12-2013, 04:23 PM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

vCash: 500
The problem with Hemsky on the 3rd line is that he's not suited to that role at all. You'd have him with players like Gordon and Jones and he's not a fit to play either a physical or shutdown defensive game.

I could easily see him moping and giving a half-assed effort that does neither him or the team any good.

Of course the upside is that if there are injuries in the top 6... he's a good fill-in offensively... but I get the feeling he's already checked out of Edmonton mentally and the Oilers best bet is simply to move him obviously.

It will hurt a lot seeing what the return will be but hopefully MacT can at least use some of that cap space to find a more suitable player for the 3rd line. Actually he can do that now as he has the cap space available AND there are still players available on the market.

Obviously the Oilers would be best to wait and see what the trade market looks like once all the big pieces have found a place from the UFA market. By the sounds of it Hemsky's value right now is at rock bottom... and it might just rise slightly as bodies get shuffled and moved around closer to the start of the season.

If a half dozen more players like Kovy bolted to the KHL it would really help the situation.

Old
07-12-2013, 04:25 PM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Personally I'd rather pay Kadri $5 million on an OS than give Clarkson $6 million which it sounds like the Oilers wanted to do.

I highly doubt they'd go the OS route with Kadri but I certainly think it would be a "bold" move. Leafs would definitely still match though.
I think when a new GM is trying to open trading relationships with other GMs, an offer sheet would be counterproductive. I have a feeling that the reason why Lowe stepped down as GM was that he was pretty well shunned after the Penner offersheet.

But then again, you see Holmgren and other guys still make trades after offer sheets.

I don't predict the Oilers signing offer sheets to anyone though. I don't think MacT believes in that, per say.

Old
07-12-2013, 04:25 PM
Lindo

Hemsky playing on the third line doesn't seem like a role that will increase his trade value.

Old
07-12-2013, 04:27 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
It might not matter. There's lots of chatter on Twitter that the Oilers might be a three line team under Eakins. I'm okay with that. I've always hated the idea of absentmindedly rolling your lines.
Regardless we need depth.

We have RNH who may or may not be ready. Then Gagner who is a decent #2 and possible #1 fill in short term. Gordon, nice #3 potential fill in for #2. Then a bunch of real question marks.

So what the heck happens when RNH isn't ready to start the year or Gagner gets hurt?

we went through this last year. Smyth 3LW and Petrell 4LW. Why even chance that this year?

Old
07-12-2013, 04:28 PM
gqmixmaster

I don't think there are teams desperate enough for offense that they would sacrifice 5M in cap for a year with hemsky without giving up very little in return - maybe a 2nd rounder or a project player in return at most.

I think Hemsky is worth more in Edmonton this season to the Oilers than he is in a trade. Unless the Oilers are bottom dwellers again this season, I see him here and then UFA next summer unless he wants to stay in Edmonton so bad that he does a significant hometown discount to stick around for a couple more seasons.

Old
07-12-2013, 04:40 PM
HeavyHitter99

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiahjones View Post
Hemsky playing on the third line doesn't seem like a role that will increase his trade value.
It wouldn't. His value is going down and down and so are his numbers but he would would add offensive flair to the 3rd line even though I don't particularly see him suited for 3rd line

Old
07-12-2013, 04:41 PM
HeavyHitter99

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqmixmaster View Post
I don't think there are teams desperate enough for offense that they would sacrifice 5M in cap for a year with hemsky without giving up very little in return - maybe a 2nd rounder or a project player in return at most.

I think Hemsky is worth more in Edmonton this season to the Oilers than he is in a trade. Unless the Oilers are bottom dwellers again this season, I see him here and then UFA next summer unless he wants to stay in Edmonton so bad that he does a significant hometown discount to stick around for a couple more seasons.
The Oilers would most likely retain salary to increase his value....

Old
07-12-2013, 04:42 PM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
It might not matter. There's lots of chatter on Twitter that the Oilers might be a three line team under Eakins. I'm okay with that. I've always hated the idea of absentmindedly rolling your lines.
That's a dangerous game to play, especially since with RNH likely starting the year on the IR. And frankly the Oilers 3rd line is still in need of some upgrading at the moment.

edit: IR, not human resources.

Last edited by 40oz: 07-12-2013 at 04:52 PM.
Old
07-12-2013, 04:46 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

If Eakins plays a mostly 3 line team I wouldn't expect the third line to be getting third line ice time.

Old
07-12-2013, 04:47 PM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

What we also have to consider, and what someone hinted at before, is that we might be without Nuge for the first month or two. That would likely slide Perron to C and put Hemsky in the top 6 until he returns.

Old
07-12-2013, 04:47 PM
ToeDrag83
Down, Not Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
The problem with Hemsky on the 3rd line is that he's not suited to that role at all. You'd have him with players like Gordon and Jones and he's not a fit to play either a physical or shutdown defensive game.

I could easily see him moping and giving a half-assed effort that does neither him or the team any good.
Of course the upside is that if there are injuries in the top 6... he's a good fill-in offensively... but I get the feeling he's already checked out of Edmonton mentally and the Oilers best bet is simply to move him obviously.

It will hurt a lot seeing what the return will be but hopefully MacT can at least use some of that cap space to find a more suitable player for the 3rd line. Actually he can do that now as he has the cap space available AND there are still players available on the market.

Obviously the Oilers would be best to wait and see what the trade market looks like once all the big pieces have found a place from the UFA market. By the sounds of it Hemsky's value right now is at rock bottom... and it might just rise slightly as bodies get shuffled and moved around closer to the start of the season.

If a half dozen more players like Kovy bolted to the KHL it would really help the situation.
Maybe this is where Eakins shows his worth

Old
07-12-2013, 04:51 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by notloilersfan View Post
What we also have to consider, and what someone hinted at before, is that we might be without Nuge for the first month or two. That would likely slide Perron to C and put Hemsky in the top 6 until he returns.
Perron doesn't play centre and in that situation one of Hemsky, Yakupov or Eberle would have to play left wing. That's a recipe for disaster.

I'd rather we sign Antropov. He can fill in as our second line centre at the start of the year and then play wing on the third line whenever our centres are healthy.

Old
07-12-2013, 04:52 PM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
Perron doesn't play centre and in that situation one of Hemsky, Yakupov or Eberle would have to play left wing. That's a recipe for disaster.

I'd rather we sign Antropov. He can fill in as our second line centre at the start of the year and then play wing on the third line whenever our centres are healthy.
I thought I heard that he has spent some time at C but just prefers the wing?

Old
07-12-2013, 04:55 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by notloilersfan View Post
I thought I heard that he has spent some time at C but just prefers the wing?
He has taken 73 faceoffs in his 6 year career so I'm assuming he doesn't play much centre.

Hall took 53 faceoffs in 45 games last year as a left wing.

Old
07-12-2013, 04:55 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Perron hasn't played C since his JR days.

Old
07-12-2013, 04:59 PM
ToeDrag83
Down, Not Out

So if it's going to be a 3 line team, do we split up the top 6 for more balance?

Perron-RNH-XXXX
Hall-XXXX-Yakupov
XXXX-Gagner-Eberle

Hemsky could slot into the RW spot on RNH's line.

After that it gets ugly. Your options at center for Hall/Yak would be Gordon/Lander/Arcobello/Acton. Though playing with those wingers, any center you put in there might get a stat boost.

Even uglier is our LW depth: Jones, Smyth..

Seriosuly some simple UFA signings won't go amiss. Mueller, Prospal, Penner, Jagr... even adding one of these players makes this team better.

Old
07-12-2013, 05:01 PM
NeutralZone

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post

Yak wasn't good on the left last year, but has Edmonton ever tried Hemsky or Eberle there?

Old
07-12-2013, 05:05 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth Slothersons View Post
Are we talking about Clifford the hockey player or Clifford the big red dog? Because I'd take either one on the Oilers.
The big red dog would be an amazing goalie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeDrag83 View Post
Our top 6 seems to be set in stone right now. It'll be some variation of RNH, Eberle, Gagner, Hall, Yakupov, and Perron.

Our bottom 6, save for perhaps Ryan Jones, looks absolutely paper thin for scoring depth. Gordon is a great piece, but I wouldn't count on him for points.

Of the options we have, Hemsky would at the very least add an offensive dynamic to the 3rd line. He'll get weaker competition in line matchups, and as a result he might thrive a little from being in the bottom 6. His value would maximize at the trade deadline, and we could move him then for something a little more substantial.

If MacT is done for this off-season, I don't see the harm in keeping Hemsky around.

/fanboy bias
Playing an offence only 1 dimensional player with a defence only 1 dimensional player is a disaster waiting to happen. The fact that they're both soft as pillows doesn't help either. One of these players fills a major need, the other is completely redundant, I think I'll keep the pillow that we need. If the Oilers want to be competitive, Ales Hemsky cannot be on the team when the puck drops in October, and instead we should have some actual bottom 6 forwards who can play physical/defensive hockey there.

Old
07-12-2013, 05:06 PM
RisingSun

If we had the oppurtunity what do you guys think of running a 1a-1b-3a-3b team?

1A) Hall - RNH - Yak
1B) Perron - Gagner - Eberle
3A) XXX - Gordon - Hemsky
3B) XXX - XXX - Jones

Fill the XXX with guys like Prospal, Antropov etc.

Does that make any sense or am I blowing smoke.

Old
07-12-2013, 05:08 PM
HopelessOilFan

I wanna see rnh with eberle and Perron and gags between hall an yak.

Rnh and hall don't work we'll together. Rnhs game is to slow the game down, cycle and make nice passes to the guys in the right spot like ebs, where as halls game is to blow by defenders and crash the net or cause a rebound, they both drive the play on their line, but hall is more of a rush guy here as rnh is more about possesion in the offensive zone.

Switching eberle and yakupov could be interesting too. Yak is another guy who seems to always be in the right place, with a wicked shot.

Hall gagner yakupov
Perron rnh eberle
_____ Gordon jones
joensuu lander brown
Smyth
The biggest fear for me though is that if any one of our centers go down we're screwed.

Gags and rnh can take over for each other, but Gordon is a shutdown center who won't be able to fill in the top 6, and lander is too young. That would also push smyth into the lineup again to play center.

Old
07-12-2013, 05:08 PM
JAY Z

I would love Brenden Morrow here for a season, he would round out that third line perfectly (assuming Hemsky is leaving).

Morrow - Gordon - Jones is a huge upgrade over whatever we had last year.

Too bad he's prolly signing out East.

Old
07-12-2013, 05:11 PM
JAY Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopelessOilFan View Post
The biggest fear for me though is that if any one of our centers go down we're screwed.

Gags and rnh can take over for each other, but Gordon is a shutdown center who won't be able to fill in the top 6, and lander is too young. That would also push smyth into the lineup again to play center.
It'll probably mean an Arcobello call up, but I hope that's not the case. Likely, Gordon will slot up as a 2C, and I don't mind him there given how dynamic his wingers will be. But if it's for an extended amount of time, then no.

Our depth on C is trash, but I know MacT isn't going to be like Steve Tambelli and sit on his ass until the deadline to trade for Smithson, a player the Oilers could have used 4 weeks prior to the deadline smh.

Old
07-12-2013, 05:13 PM
NeutralZone

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRadicals View Post
If we had the oppurtunity what do you guys think of running a 1a-1b-3a-3b team?

1A) Hall - RNH - Yak
1B) Perron - Gagner - Eberle
3A) XXX - Gordon - Hemsky
3B) XXX - XXX - Jones

Fill the XXX with guys like Prospal, Antropov etc.

Does that make any sense or am I blowing smoke.
I think Gordon is going to be taking big minutes at the expense of the 4th line. I don't think it will be a 3a/3b situation. He's by far the best bet for faceoffs and shutting down tough competition (although RNH's defensive game is pretty good too).

Also, there's not a lot of cap space left to add to the team unless Hemsky is moved without reserving cap. Maybe one more bottom 6er gets added. Some combination of Lander, Smyth, Brown, Jonesuu and Eager are going to get ice time.

Old
07-12-2013, 05:14 PM
RisingSun

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAY Z View Post
It'll probably mean an Arcobello call up, but I hope that's not the case. Likely, Gordon will slot up as a 2C, and I don't mind him there given how dynamic his wingers will be. But if it's for an extended amount of time, then no.

Our depth on C is trash, but I know MacT isn't going to be like Steve Tambelli and sit on his ass until the deadline to trade for Smithson, a player the Oilers could have used 4 weeks prior to the deadline smh.
On an "offensive minded" team like the Oilers, if at any point Gordon is our 2C, were not touching the playoffs.

Old
07-12-2013, 05:17 PM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Perron-RNH-Eberle
Hall-Gagner-Yakupov
Prospal-Gordon-Hemsky
Fodder-Fodder-Fodder

Get 'er done, MacT!

Closed Thread