HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Oilers defense for 2013/14

Old
07-12-2013, 12:56 AM
OilerBob
The Youth Movement

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwave09 View Post

In a couple of years....
Klefbom-Schultz
Nurse-Maracin
Smid-Petry
Ference
Don't count Petry out yet. This is his year Solid #2 D + more physical

OilerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 12:58 AM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerBob View Post
Don't count Petry out yet. This is his year Solid #2 D + more physical
interesting

I think the lockout may have affected his progression from the end of 2012-2013 to the start of the shortened season.

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 01:01 AM
OilerBob
The Youth Movement

Gut feeling

OilerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 01:13 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

I think Oiler fans under-rate Petry more than any other fanbase. It's hilarious how much hate he gets on HF OIl - doubt about his first-pairing pedigree, his ability to be a key part of this team's top-4 heading forward, etc.

There was a recent thread about "the most underrated D-Men" in the NHL - and countless WC fans had Petry in their top-5. It's not hard to recognize the yeomen-type work that man has to do with Smid as a partner.

Smid is a great defensive defenseman, but his play with the puck is almost Staios-level bad. All of the pressure on that pairing is on Petry to get the transition started and the puck moving - and he had to do it against the toughest competition.

He played the toughest minutes, with the least transition-capable partner, and stil managed to come out +1 on this god-awful team.

But he's not a top pairing defenseman...?

I cross my fingers hoping that Klefbom turns into that OEL/Brodin type defenseman, just so he can have a suitable partner in Petry to shine with.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 03:33 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
I'll get flamed for this but I think Petry is the Oilers best dman... and Smid is overrated.

I don't mean Smid is BAD before people want to banish me to the Leafs board ... I just think he's considered by most as EASILY the best Oilers dman... and yes defensively he's good but I agree... too one-dimensional and not enough ability to move the puck or play the puck up and break out for the forwards.

If Smid was the only player that was like that it would be one thing... but the Oilers dmen as a group are mediocre.

Petry is the best all around dman right now. JSchultz is obviously solid offensively but a horror show in his own end (even though he looked good early on)... no doubt he'll improve in time.

NSchultz and Potter are a mixed bag. Both have limitations in their skillsets that add to the mediocrity of the whole d-core.

Ference should help coming in... but since July is my month to state things completely unbiased and honestly without being a homer (I'll no doubt revert to a Homer again when the season starts ... I personally think that Ference is overrated as well. A beneficiary of being on a very solid Boston team. Again... not to say he's a bad dman... just that I don't think he makes this group THAT much better.

I'm hoping one of Belov/Larsen/Klefbom can surprise us and push the dmen above them for a top 4 spot.

I see the current group of Oilers dmen as a bunch of 5's and 6's on a scale of 1-10. They are mediocre as a group and badly need an injection of bonafide top 2 talent.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 05:01 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post
I think Oiler fans under-rate Petry more than any other fanbase. It's hilarious how much hate he gets on HF OIl - doubt about his first-pairing pedigree, his ability to be a key part of this team's top-4 heading forward, etc.

There was a recent thread about "the most underrated D-Men" in the NHL - and countless WC fans had Petry in their top-5. It's not hard to recognize the yeomen-type work that man has to do with Smid as a partner.

Smid is a great defensive defenseman, but his play with the puck is almost Staios-level bad. All of the pressure on that pairing is on Petry to get the transition started and the puck moving - and he had to do it against the toughest competition.

He played the toughest minutes, with the least transition-capable partner, and stil managed to come out +1 on this god-awful team.

But he's not a top pairing defenseman...?

I cross my fingers hoping that Klefbom turns into that OEL/Brodin type defenseman, just so he can have a suitable partner in Petry to shine with.
You must not have been looking over the trade board the last couple of years, many non Oilers fans don't think much of Petry at all.

07-12-2013, 08:14 AM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
I see the current group of Oilers dmen as a bunch of 5's and 6's on a scale of 1-10. They are mediocre as a group and badly need an injection of bonafide top 2 talent.
I can't wait until Nurse is on the team. We will see a bunch of headlines like "The Doctor is in" and "Nurse heals defensive woes". I think both him and Klefbom have top pairing potential.

As for a bunch of 4-5's, Ference, Smid, Petry and Schultz are all top four defencemen. The most questionable is Schultz but their is no denying his offensive potential. You want him feed the top six as much as possible so he's going to be forced into that role regardless.

After that we have 5 guys all battling for those last 3 spots. Personally, I see potter as being that seventh serviceable guy that won't mind sitting in the pressbox. Belov/Schultz/Klefbom can all battle it out for bottom pairing jobs. Larsen can get waived for all I care.

DousedInOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 08:17 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

"The Doctor is in" ???

His name is Nurse....

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 09:32 AM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Smid - J.Schultz
Coburn - Ference
Petry - Belov
Potter/N.Schultz

Sloth Slothersons* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 09:54 AM
The Last Dynasty
We're in Hell men

IF we got Coburn:

Smid-Petry
Ference-Coburn
Belov/ J.Schultz

N.Schultz
Larsen

The Last Dynasty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 10:03 AM
DousedInOil

Quote:
"The Doctor is in" ???

His name is Nurse....
His twitter handle is doctortwofive. I should find you the interview about him saying that "men can't be nurses". Lol.

DousedInOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 10:04 AM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
IF we got Coburn:

Smid-Petry
Ference-Coburn
Belov/ J.Schultz

N.Schultz
Larsen
If we get Coburn... we might not have Smid or Petry on our club.
PHI would want one of them coming back plus some more

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 10:44 AM
Hemsky4PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
If we get Coburn... we might not have Smid or Petry on our club.
PHI would want one of them coming back plus some more
Smid and N. Schultz don't offer much real cap savings for Philly. I think the Coburn love is a bit much. I really think Ference occupies that role just as well.

I would really like to see a trade that sees N. Schultz out and someone like Hainsy signed for one or two years.

Also, I think Klefbom is going to surprise some people next season. If he makes an impact in camp and is in great shape, he could start in the top 4.

Petry - Klefbom
J. Schultz - Ference
Smid - Belov/N.Schultz/Larsen/Potter

I could see the Oilers waiving Potter if this is the opening day roster. I don't have a problem with Potter as a no. 7/8 guy, but he's on the bubble - but N. Schultz at 3.5M is a huge ticket if he's the no.6 guy.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 11:17 AM
Bushwick Bill

Quote:
"The Doctor is in" ???

His name is Nurse....
Completely agree with your take on Petry. The guy has made the Oilers starting roster once to begin the season and people get upset when he's inconsistent in a #1 role with a less than ideal partner. We haven't done Jeff too many favors at the nhl level by forcing him to sink or swim but we really have no other options to fill that role. It's pretty amazing that he's been able to hold his own doing it when his game is on.

But nicknames.. How do they work again?

Bushwick Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 11:22 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
interesting

I think the lockout may have affected his progression from the end of 2012-2013 to the start of the shortened season.
Not playing during the lockout definitely hurt his start. He looked solid by the end of the season though.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 12:56 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Honestly the gap between most of the "average" dmen isn't enormous.

I'd agree that Ference and Coburn are probably very close to equal in terms of impact on the roster even though they bring different skillsets... if you pull out Smid and put in Coburn would there be a significant improvement? Not hugely so imo.

Same goes for pulling out N Schultz... I think he's probably getting to the point of almost being underrated now because he was underwater last year on a crap team playing with a rookie dman trying to work out his NHL game. If you pulled out N Schultz and put a guy like Hainsey in that same spot... I think the improvement would be very marginal at best.

With many of these 4,5,6 type dmen there isn't going to be a huge difference in performance... the biggest differences are often the intangibles and character they bring and how they get along with the rest of their teammates.

The only really huge differences in the roster are going to be when you acquire a top 2 type dman who steps in and can make a huge difference... unfortunately they aren't easily attainable (and they often want to leave even when they are here) so yes the Oilers have to hope they can develop those top pairing dmen within the org.

Old
07-12-2013, 01:06 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Smid - Petry
Ference - Schultz (J)
Belov - Schultz (N)
Potter

How does that look ?

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 02:28 PM
Brewster

For next year:
Smid - Petry
J Schultz - Ference
Belov - N Schultz
Larsen - Potter

Down the road:
J Schultz - Klefbom
Nurse - Petry
Marincin - Smid (not his side I know)
Musil/Davidson - Fedun

Brewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 03:25 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Petry is bad. I'll never forget the OT against the Hawks.

So bloody bad. I don't think I see him getting better at all.

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 03:42 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Smid - Petry
Ference - Schultz (J)
Belov - Schultz (N)
Potter

How does that look ?
I'd rather have Larsen or Fistric (who won't be back) as the #7 but other then that it looks good

OilerTyler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 03:43 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrican View Post

Yeah, a lot of people around here are high on Petry. I don't see it either.

OilerTyler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 05:28 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Well personally if it was possible to genetically combine Smid and JSchultz together that would be a nice combo and would a true #1 dman.

Unfortunately until that technology becomes available we have a bunch of dmen with flaws and weak points and it adds up to a mediocre blueline crew... none outright stink imo... but collectively underwhelming.

Old
07-12-2013, 05:34 PM
s7ark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrican View Post

I've seen Lidstrom, Pronger and Chara all make brutal mistakes. You can't judge a player on one play. Petry is a decent top 4 D. I do agree that those that think he's a top pairing guy are a bit overly optimistic though.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 08:45 AM
JohnnyDrama21
HFB Partner

Defense Still Rudderless

http://thefarmclub.net/2013/07/30/ed...dderless-ship/

Schultz is good but there's still no #1 unless he steps forward. The defense needs a leader, some direction. Thoughts?

JohnnyDrama21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 08:50 AM
Paralyzer008

I kind of want to say Phaneuf, just because I know that we'd have some volatile fans here who would ruin this thread.

So I'll just stick with Ference, he's a leader, and the top 4 D we have can hold for a season perhaps.

Paralyzer008 is offline   Reply With Quote