HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hershey (AHL) and Reading (ECHL) 2012-13 Season

Old
07-12-2013, 11:38 AM
Stewie G

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hb11xchamps View Post
In Juniors he would be getting top line minutes compared to 3rd or 4th in Washington. It probably wouldn't hurt to have another year of development
Honest question. Does he have anything left to gain by playing top line minutes against smaller, younger guys? He'd likely be getting 3rd - 4th line minutes in 2014 too with the way the RW depth sits right now, so why not bring him up this season and let him show what he's capable of against the big boys? If he shows well, that might give the team the opportunity to trade one of Brouwer/Ward for help elsewhere.

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 11:59 AM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblick View Post
Curious about this, sk8 - Wilson didn't look out of place during the Ranger series, and he's got a size and skill that could help at this level. What's the thinking that he'd be better served with another year of juniors?
I question whether it makes sense to burn the year of his ELC for what I expect to be limited minutes and the chance he hits a wall. I don't see the harm in a player like Wilson, while big, as has been noted in the updates he's also still growing, playing for Plymouth. Just my opinion. Obviously, like many, I wish the AHL was an option, like was possible with Carlson at that age, but it's not.

Plymouth skater stats for last season

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 12:49 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
Honest question. Does he have anything left to gain by playing top line minutes against smaller, younger guys? He'd likely be getting 3rd - 4th line minutes in 2014 too with the way the RW depth sits right now, so why not bring him up this season and let him show what he's capable of against the big boys? If he shows well, that might give the team the opportunity to trade one of Brouwer/Ward for help elsewhere.
If you want Wilson to become a top six player, and not just a banger, it makes sense to give him plenty of offensvie opportunities and powerplay time. If he's in Washington, he's not going to get that. It's not just about the minutes, it's about the types of minutes he gets.

And I think he has plenty to prove still in the OHL. Vince Trocheck, albeit a year older, put up more points in the 28 games he played in Plymouth than Wilson put up in the 48 games he played. Wilson's numbers were good, but he was playing on a deep, talented team and he still has plenty of room to improve on his season from last year.

I wouldn't mind giving him a brief audition in the NHL at the beginning of the season (<9 games, as to not burn a year off his ELC), but he should spend the rest of the season in the OHL. Right now, he's not much more than a hitter in the NHL. I have higher hopes for Wilson than him just being a 4th line banger.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 02:09 PM
Stewie G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
If you want Wilson to become a top six player, and not just a banger, it makes sense to give him plenty of offensvie opportunities and powerplay time. If he's in Washington, he's not going to get that. It's not just about the minutes, it's about the types of minutes he gets.

And I think he has plenty to prove still in the OHL. Vince Trocheck, albeit a year older, put up more points in the 28 games he played in Plymouth than Wilson put up in the 48 games he played. Wilson's numbers were good, but he was playing on a deep, talented team and he still has plenty of room to improve on his season from last year.

I wouldn't mind giving him a brief audition in the NHL at the beginning of the season (<9 games, as to not burn a year off his ELC), but he should spend the rest of the season in the OHL. Right now, he's not much more than a hitter in the NHL. I have higher hopes for Wilson than him just being a 4th line banger.
Did he get offensive opportunities and powerplay time this past season? If so, will he gain much from doing it again but with a bigger size advantage over the competition?

I know pretty much nothing about hockey development, so I'm looking at this from another angle. Let's take calculus. You take one year of calculus and you get good at it. The next year, you take calculus again, but you are given simpler problems. Did you gain much from taking another year?

That might very well be a horrible analogy. I don't know. I also realize there are other considerations, like sliding the contract. I'm just questioning the added value of another year of junior. I don't know if there is some historical evidence that shows players spending an extra year in junior hockey leading to a higher likelihood to be a top 6 players vs. what sounds like an automatic locking of a player's ceiling as grinder if he doesn't.

Old
07-12-2013, 03:13 PM
malyk

It is a pretty horrible analogy, but not a bad stab.

Experience makes you better at things. And it takes a lot of experience to make it to an elite level. The kid looked like he belonged to me in the game he played in the playoffs. The puck seemed to follow him around a bit when he was on the ice.

But, he probably needs to improve his skating. He probably would benefit from simply playing more high intensity games. He probably needs to learn more off ice things like diet, strength/endurance training, etc. He probably needs to learn a lot of other things as well. I loved the clip where he and Oates were talking about stick angle. It's just a small example. The kid is likely to have been using the same basic stick for years. Now oates wants him to try a slightly different lie angle and size. It takes time to adjust to those changes (even if it's relatively short...that's just one small change of what I'm sure are many others).

So, really, the experience of playing, being focused, working on those things he needs to are what he can do if he goes back to juniors. The one thing you have to be wary of is that he gets bored against that competition and then doesn't work as hard as he has in the past. It's a risk, but hopefully one the management has time (and skill) to evaluate that before making a decision.

malyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 03:29 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Keeping players in major junior vs. bringing them quickly to the NHL is a mixed bag. What works for some doesn't always work for others. The Penguins allowed Tangradi and Jeffrey to slow cook in the OHL and it didn't pan out. The Sharks had plenty of success leaving Couture in the OHL though, same with Anaheim and Bobby Ryan. Atlanta/Winnipeg brought Burmistrov right into the NHL and now it's blown up in their face. Colorado brought O'Reilly right into the NHL and it panned out pretty darn well. There's not any one "best way" to develop a prospect.

Also, I took Calculus both as a senior in high school and a freshman in college.

Old
07-12-2013, 03:38 PM
Stewie G

Quote:
Originally Posted by malyk View Post
It is a pretty horrible analogy, but not a bad stab.

Experience makes you better at things. And it takes a lot of experience to make it to an elite level. The kid looked like he belonged to me in the game he played in the playoffs. The puck seemed to follow him around a bit when he was on the ice.

But, he probably needs to improve his skating. He probably would benefit from simply playing more high intensity games. He probably needs to learn more off ice things like diet, strength/endurance training, etc. He probably needs to learn a lot of other things as well. I loved the clip where he and Oates were talking about stick angle. It's just a small example. The kid is likely to have been using the same basic stick for years. Now oates wants him to try a slightly different lie angle and size. It takes time to adjust to those changes (even if it's relatively short...that's just one small change of what I'm sure are many others).

So, really, the experience of playing, being focused, working on those things he needs to are what he can do if he goes back to juniors. The one thing you have to be wary of is that he gets bored against that competition and then doesn't work as hard as he has in the past. It's a risk, but hopefully one the management has time (and skill) to evaluate that before making a decision.
Maybe I'm trying to put too fine of a point on it. Would the experience he'd be getting in juniors be meaningful experience? I'm not saying he's mastered any skill, but would he get more out of his practice by going up against men? It's not like he's hitting a golf ball. If he doesn't have to work hard to get to the front of the net or shield the puck in the corner, how much better is he getting at those skills?

If Oates has specific direction for him, wouldn't the best place to get those instructions be in DC?

Old
07-12-2013, 03:39 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Also, I took Calculus both as a senior in high school
Were you in the remedial math class?

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 03:42 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
Maybe I'm trying to put too fine of a point on it. Would the experience he'd be getting in juniors be meaningful experience? I'm not saying he's mastered any skill, but would he get more out of his practice by going up against men? It's not like he's hitting a golf ball. If he doesn't have to work hard to get to the front of the net or shield the puck in the corner, how much better is he getting at those skills?

If Oates has specific direction for him, wouldn't the best place to get those instructions be in DC?
He's got development camp (now), rookie camp, training camp, pre-season, and up to 9 games in the NHL to work with Oates. And it's not as if the Caps development staff doesn't communicate with the teams their prospects are on (not that they'd have the final say in any usage). And he can play in the AHL after his OHL season ends, as well.

He can get some time against men next year to continue getting used to the speed and physicality, but still play most of the year in the OHL to get the type of reps in offensive situations he needs to continue improving his offensive game and scoring touch.

Old
07-22-2013, 08:09 AM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

DiSalvatore signed with EHC Munchen in Germany.

fedfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 08:35 AM
sk84fun_dc

In Reading Royals news, they followed up the news about Molle returning with the news that Kashirsky re-signed. Not surprised based on some of the lists that were released earlier as some guys weren't on it leading one to believe they were already signed. Courville has a nice core returning in Reading already with Tifu, Cox, Kashirsky, & Molle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedfed View Post
DiSalvatore signed with EHC Munchen in Germany.
Yup, he tweeted the other day that he was headed to the DEL:

jondisalvatore: "After 10 exciting years in the @TheAHL we are making the jump across the pond. Good thing #RedBull gives you wings. #munich #DEL"

As far as HBH, wasn't expecting him back, was curious to see if he stayed in the AHL or not and now there's an answer.

Last edited by sk84fun_dc: 07-22-2013 at 08:44 AM.
Old
07-22-2013, 09:24 AM
sk84fun_dc

CapGeek has new contracts added not surprising with QOs expiring on Saturday at 5pm eastern.

Anyway, list includes Nicolas Deschamps contract for his QO. So looks like he accepted his QO, not surprised. Note, this leaves Marcus Johansson as the Caps only unsigned RFA.

Also, Caps have 42 players under contract for 13-14 (including Wilson.)

Old
07-25-2013, 04:00 PM
sk84fun_dc

article on Bryan Helmer taking the OHL asst coaching job with comments about talking to HBH about asst coaching position earlier in the off-season.

Old
07-26-2013, 04:03 AM
Royalsflagrunner77

i can't wait for the the new season to start with readings banner raising i love our affiliates

Royalsflagrunner77 is offline   Reply With Quote