HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

KHL= New WHA?

Old
07-12-2013, 02:49 PM
Gunnin54

vCash: 500
KHL= New WHA?

Will it be another WHA?

Gunnin54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 02:54 PM
Mr Atoz
I hid the Atavachron

Another ******* merger?

Mr Atoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 02:54 PM
Gunnin54

World hockey association

Gunnin54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 02:57 PM
Big McLargehuge
Diving in Head First

vCash: 422
I don't see any North American stars moving over there, so no.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Big McLargehuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 02:57 PM
dukeofjive

As a fan i was pissed again after the last lock out and i dont make a penny from the nhl, can you imagine players having to drag through lock outs, why wouldent players want to leave, wouldent it be in certain players interest to go make the same amount or more money, but be sure they can play

dukeofjive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 03:01 PM
sharks9

A league that tries to compete with the NHL but eventually folds?

Yea that sounds about right.

sharks9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 03:04 PM
Pilky01
@JamesD_TO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
I don't see any North American stars moving over there, so no.
Well, considering at points during the 90's the league's point tables were often a majority European, I would say the talent drain already is significantly greater. Bobby Hull was just one man.

Pilky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 03:05 PM
mdexm

When you're a young North American player you dream of winning the Stanley Cup, not making the maximum money in a foreign country, away from your family, playing with a team that if you're lucky might have a few people that can hold a cohesive conversation with you in English.

KHL will never threaten the NHL for that fact alone, no matter how many Russians move out.

mdexm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 03:16 PM
Pavelec4MVP
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
Not even close

WHA > KHL

Pavelec4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 03:20 PM
aemoreira1981

I doubt it. What it could do, however, is make NHL GMs think twice about drafting players from the KHL. Bryan Murray has not drafted a Russian player when his own people make the call since 2000. One has to wonder if George McPhee will ever draft a Russian ever again as well (give that Kuznetsov may never come over) unless that player is a generational talent like Ovechkin.

aemoreira1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 03:23 PM
BobDobolina

I hope they become a very strong European league.

BobDobolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 03:24 PM
bobbyt911
you must quote me :P

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...0yrWLcwF1JbqQg

An interesting article about the KHL

bobbyt911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 03:29 PM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyt911 View Post
http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...0yrWLcwF1JbqQg

An interesting article about the KHL
Interesting as in full of made up stuff, outdated BS and not a lot of facts checking, sure.

Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 03:31 PM
BobDobolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikke View Post
Interesting as in full of made up stuff, outdated BS and not a lot of facts checking, sure.
Yes. This is where I stopped reading:

Quote:
Moscow is grey and bleak in December, a depressing stretch of year when it’s middle-of-the-night dark until at least 10:30 a.m.

BobDobolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 03:33 PM
tucker3434

I can understand why Russians want to go home to play for the big bucks, but I can't see it ever taking the NA guys. THe KHL will legitimately compete with the NHL for Russians only.

tucker3434 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 03:37 PM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker3434 View Post
I can understand why Russians want to go home to play for the big bucks, but I can't see it ever taking the NA guys. THe KHL will legitimately compete with the NHL for Russians only.
Russians only? No. Europeans only is more likely, I don't think we'll see North American star players signing with KHL teams in the near future, but I do believe players from various European countries will happen.

Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 03:42 PM
hohosaregood

I wonder if they winner of the Gagarin Cup will ever ask to compete for the Stanley Cup.

hohosaregood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 03:47 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

I think it's a fair comparison. The talent drain is becoming real, but much like the WHA it's chipping away mainly at fringe players. Also like the WHA, it will occasionally shock everyone by landing a major name.

There's another point of comparison but I won't go there.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 03:51 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnin54 View Post
Will it be another WHA?
As I've said in other threads over the past 24 hours, IMO it is inevitable that a star Canadian player will jump ship to the KHL. The further west that league pushes - Milan is already on the table - the easier it is for that to happen.

Quote:
Moscow is grey and bleak in December, a depressing stretch of year when it’s middle-of-the-night dark until at least 10:30 a.m.
Sounds like Vancouver...

Old
07-12-2013, 03:54 PM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDobolina View Post
Yes. This is where I stopped reading:
Maybe there's a second Moscow a few hundred km north of the capital.

SmellOfVictory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 04:02 PM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilky01 View Post
Well, considering at points during the 90's the league's point tables were often a majority European, I would say the talent drain already is significantly greater. Bobby Hull was just one man.
Gordie Howe? Mark Howe? Mark Messier? Marc Tardif? J.C. Tremblay? Gerry Cheevers? Anders Hedberg? Dave Keon? Kent Nilsson? WAYNE GRETZKY?

Had the WHA been able to stay afloat financially (perhaps through expansion to markets that had no NHL team at the time such as San Jose/SF Bay area, Ottawa, Seattle, and Hamilton) it would have been considerable competition going forward because it had just acquired the best player in the world.

What happens if, instead of teams folding and then merging into the NHL in the late 70s, the WHA expands into those markets? Mark Howe would never have been the star Flyers defenseman of the 80s; he'd have been too busy as the face of the New England Whalers. Gretzky dominates the WHA instead of the NHL. Does Lemieux go to the NHL, or the WHA? Maybe we see him play for the Nordiques instead of the Penguins.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 06:52 PM
RtooDtu

Please tell me the issue of having another league compete with the NHL. I was also told competition is great for consumers.

Get a PVR and start recording some KHL games, you may even pick up a little Russian! Besides if/when the KHL gets popular they may broadcast in English.

RtooDtu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 07:07 PM
HawkinMI

The KHL will be bigger than the WHA ever managed to be. But until we see a major North American star leave for it, I don't think it will ever truly be in competition with the NHL.

It's a can't have your cake and eat it too situation, I want healthy competition for the NHL but I don't want it to lose any marquee stars.

HawkinMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 07:11 PM
teris

One point that largely goes unnoticed in NA it seems is that there are and likely will be more and more players who choose not to cross the pond despite being offered contracts that would've been unheard of being offered to Europeans with no NHL experience 5-10 years ago. Jori Lehterä, a Finn who probably didn't speak a word of Russian when he signed there the first time was offered a one way 7 figure deal by the Blues recently which he refused and rather signed an extension in the KHL (for more money, yes): http://www.truehockey.com/articles/L...y-Signs-Goalie.

These things only get noticed by the fanbase of the team who was after the player. Of course fans around the world will never watch an NHL game and think "damn I wish Jori Lehterä was here" but that's the point. Things like this are ignored in NA but in the long run these will add to each other and create a significant loss for the NHL. Ignorance is bliss but that doesn't change the fact that the KHL is getting stronger partly at the expense of the NHL whether or not you notice it.

If NHL teams are now more and more likely to avoid drafting Russians because of the risk involved, that too on the league level benefits the KHL. Teams won't be as eager to bring them over, some will go undrafted and get to develop in the KHL freely and will likely be more closely tied to it by the time NHL teams would want them. Some people post a picture of the Stanley Cup and say it's the ultimate trophy everyone dreams of but that's just not true for Europeans. Some of them do but as the KHL grows stronger and stronger which is the trend here, especially Russians will see their hero like Kovalchuk lifting the Gagarin Cup and for them it'll rival the Stanley Cup.

The KHL is at the moment obviously far behind the NHL but it's catching up at a noticeable pace. It's different from the WHA since it's not competing for the same audience as of yet. It has its own audience and it has a demographic of players it will always attract. As the KHL is pushing to expand to the west, that demographic will grow as Dado mentioned above. It has a financial edge to develop the league despite obviously not being profitable. Sure it's financed by oligarchs as a hobby who won't be around forever but I'm beginning to be convinced their money will be for long enough to really rival the NHL.

Last edited by teris: 07-12-2013 at 07:26 PM.
teris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 08:01 PM
CoolForumNamePending

To be honest I think the KHL has had a bigger impact than people realize. I get the impression that many people think you could count the players in the KHL who are capable of playing in the NHL on one hand.

A decade ago NHL players from the former Soviet Union totalled 76 (I did a quick count so forgive me if I am off by a couple) and this past season it appears the number was 34. Unless hockey is in total free fall in that part of the world there are probably at least 2 or 3 dozen players right there that may have been playing in the NHL if big money didn't start flowing into Russian hockey in recent years.

Another thing to consider is the late blooming European player. If the KHL was started a decade earlier do we ever see guys like Zidlicky, Hejda, Vishnovsky etc. in the NHL? Do these guys come to NA and risk playing in the minors for $65,000/year or do they take the high 6 figure (perhaps 7 figure) annual salary that SKA or Salavat are throwing at them? The NHL is obviously still going to get some of these players (Brunner) but you got to think the KHL is siphoning off some of these guys.

I also think some of the other European leagues are having an impact, a smaller impact than the KHL, but still an impact. If you look at the arena boom in Europe over the past decade and also look at attendance figures over that same time period many of the leagues appear to have been doing quite well. Just speculating here but 10 to 15 years ago I would think an AHL salary would be pretty competitive with many of the European leagues, especially if a player could get a handfull of games in the NHL, now I am not so sure.

With all that being said I don't think the NHL's position of the world's premier hockey league is under any type of serious threat. North America has over 50% (I think) of the world's registered hockey players and any NA who finds a way to skate a regular shift in the NHL, outside of perhaps the odd anomaly, is going to stay in the NHL. The NHL will still also remain a goal for many European players for the foreseeable
future. I also think some of the European talent the the NHL now loses out on is being offset by the US producing more talent. Countries like Switzerland and Denmark becoming viable sources for talent is also helping to offset some loses.

CoolForumNamePending is offline   Reply With Quote