HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Draft - Pick #75 - Pavel Buchnevich

Old
07-07-2013, 09:45 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sweetness View Post
Any information about Buchnevich in this thread?

Has anyone seen this game actually play before?
hes been all over international play.

he was on the u17 team that won in windsor ontario in 2012. he did next to nothing playing mostly on the 3rd line if i remember correctly. as a side note, in that gold medal game against the usa, tolchinski had a hatty. that team also had zadorov and nichushkin on it.

in the u18's in sochi, buchnevich went off with 5/6 11 in 7 games and some crazy good goals especially against the usa.

he outscored both nichushkin and tolch in that tourny.

this kid is EASILY the most offensively talented player in our system and it isnt even close. if hes on the ice, there isnt much question whos the most skilled player. its obvious. tolch is a close second skills/skating wise but hes just so damn small.

buch has got scary skills. his shot is high end and he gets it off in traffic. his skating is excellent and his offensive instincts are both intuitive and effortless. hes really fast and faster with the puck. his dangle is pretty sweet.

he doesnt play a lick of defense and he need to mature and realize he cant cherry pick and only think offense. his skating allows him to be an pretty effective backchecker and when hes engaged, he can play a solid 2 way game.

this kid is the real deal. hes got first line scorer skills.

unfortunately ive read a few comparisons to zherdev. im hoping hes more like alex semin and perhaps phil kessel.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 10:19 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post

he was on the u17 team that won in windsor ontario in 2012. he did next to nothing playing mostly on the 3rd line if i remember correctly. as a side note, in that gold medal game against the usa, tolchinski had a hatty. that team also had zadorov and nichushkin on it.

in the u18's in sochi, buchnevich went off with 5/6 11 in 7 games and some crazy good goals especially against the usa.

this kid is EASILY the most offensively talented player in our system and it isnt even close. if hes on the ice, there isnt much question whos the most skilled player. its obvious. tolch is a close second skills/skating wise but hes just so damn small.

buch has got scary skills. his shot is high end and he gets it off in traffic. his skating is excellent and his offensive instincts are both intuitive and effortless. hes really fast and faster with the puck. his dangle is pretty sweet.

he doesnt play a lick of defense and he need to mature and realize he cant cherry pick and only think offense. his skating allows him to be an pretty effective backchecker and when hes engaged, he can play a solid 2 way game.

unfortunately ive read a few comparisons to zherdev. im hoping hes more like alex semin and perhaps phil kessel.
Thanks. Very nice input.

07-08-2013, 01:03 AM
MidnightRanger

Send a message via AIM to MidnightRanger
This guy is EXACTLY what the Ranger system has been missing. A purely, shameless, make no excuses offensive DYNAMO who can't play defense but scores goals that every hockey fan wants on their team. This guy and the French Canadian dude. That is exactly the shot in the arm we needed those high bust high reward type guys.

MidnightRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 06:12 AM
Mkhizgilov

Guys I never really post here much more of a reader but I had to come here to say I watched this guy play a lot of times and I can straight up say his upside is first liner 40-50 goal scorer...that's how good this guy is on offense.

Mkhizgilov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 01:26 AM
Fantomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
It's not a Russian thing. It's a coach thing. Coaches do that here, too. However, players' desire and heart are rarely questioned since, at the pro level, those two things are usually not issues. You can't make it to this level on skill alone. So yes. It's a huge red flag. He can have all the skill in the world but if the desire isn't there, than he's useless.
It's a Russian thing. You're wrong. You are also wrong to attribute so much meaning to the quote.

Believe what you want to believe.

Fantomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 06:14 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkhizgilov View Post
Guys I never really post here much more of a reader but I had to come here to say I watched this guy play a lot of times and I can straight up say his upside is first liner 40-50 goal scorer...that's how good this guy is on offense.
i just hope he does not stay in the KHL. is he committed to come to north america?? i hope by coming to the Rangers prospect camp is a good sign that he is.

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 06:26 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
i just hope he does not stay in the KHL. is he committed to come to north america?? i hope by coming to the Rangers prospect camp is a good sign that he is.
Pashnin came to development camp too. We'll just have to wait and see. If he feels like he has a real opportunity here, I'm sure he'll give it a try. I just hope he isn't one of those guys who wants a guaranteed NHL spot, because we know the Rangers won't do that.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 06:36 AM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

I wouldn't count on him coming over until another 2 years when his KHL deal is up. I have no problem with him playing against grown men in his formative years.

By then he could be ready. Bummed we couldn't get Tarasenko? He could be ours.

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 10:31 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
I wouldn't count on him coming over until another 2 years when his KHL deal is up. I have no problem with him playing against grown men in his formative years.

By then he could be ready. Bummed we couldn't get Tarasenko? He could be ours.
correct. hes there for 2 more years and thats a good thing actually.

he needs to stay over in russia and develop. hes a kid. he doesnt want to leave home now and thats fine. the next 2 years he will mature and develop his game playing in the 2nd or 3rd best league in the world against grown men.

once/if he begins to dominate over there, he will know its time to come over.

just like tarasenko did.

Old
07-12-2013, 11:45 AM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantomas View Post
It's a Russian thing. You're wrong. You are also wrong to attribute so much meaning to the quote.

Believe what you want to believe.
As a Russian who has played for Russians before, I have never heard a coach do that. So I'll take my own experience at more value than your empty words.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 12:10 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:

Gordie Clark compared him to Cherepanov.

And, i believe Cherepanov would have been a superstar in the NHL, i really do. The kid had unreal talent.

I don't know anything about him, so I can't comment on him. But i hope Clark's comparison is true. However, if it is, why would this kid drop so far in the draft?

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 12:50 PM
Miamipuck
Al Swearengen

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckrush View Post
Gordie Clark compared him to Cherepanov.

And, i believe Cherepanov would have been a superstar in the NHL, i really do. The kid had unreal talent.

I don't know anything about him, so I can't comment on him. But i hope Clark's comparison is true. However, if it is, why would this kid drop so far in the draft?
The Devils board would be a better place to ask this.

Miamipuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 12:55 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I should have specified.

Pavel Buchnevich was compared to Alexei Cherepanov by Gordie Clark.

Why would the Devils board know anything about this?

Old
07-12-2013, 01:01 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
I should have specified.

Because Kovy just retired?

Obviously the Russian Factor exists, but that alone doesn't make him drop to the 3rd round.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 01:03 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
I should have specified.

Because a certain Russian just left their team to go play in the KHL. Teams are worried about Russians not coming over to play, so they'll continue to slip in the draft each year. The ones who are here already are less of a worry, but teams are weary of spending a high pick on a kid who might never come over the pond.

Buchnevich is supremely talented, but he's going to need to put on quite a bit of muscle before he's ready to play in the NHL. He also has no two-way game to speak of. That'll need to be addressed.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 01:18 PM
Jacques Strap

Quote:
I should have specified.

I think he means the "Russian Factor". Kovalchuck retired back to Russia yesterday.

I would definitely still take a chance on Buchnevich. The most skilled Rangers prospect, by far. Let's hope he puts it all together and comes over in 2 years.

Jacques Strap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 05:06 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
this kid is EASILY the most offensively talented player in our system and it isnt even close. if hes on the ice, there isnt much question whos the most skilled player. its obvious.
That's why we took him first overall, right?

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 05:44 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Ok. I get that Kovalchuk "retired". I don't see the connection between Kovalchuk and this kid.

Old
07-12-2013, 06:07 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
That's why we took him first overall, right?
It's obvious.

Old
07-12-2013, 06:21 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
It's obvious.
Stop.

We drafted a highly skilled player who is Russian. If he were Canadian, American or swede, he's a mid to late 1st rounder.

See what Leslie said about him. Read for Gordie Clark says. Read what was blogged and tweeted about his performance recently at rook camp.

Please take a moment and review all the pre draft stuff written about this young man.

Then tell me that we didn't get a potential gem in the 3rd round.

Old
07-12-2013, 06:23 PM
Ola

Quote:
See, we somewhat agree here. Kreider standing still is ****ing retarded. Like actually ****ing retarded. It bothered me so damn much watching the 2011 WJCs and seeing Kreider just parked in front of the net.

I actually would prefer to see him as a fast, big sniper who occasionally throws a hit. A guy who can cycle when he needs to. I really don't see his game being powerforward-esque and I don't really think he is geared towards that. Some coaches have tried to make him into that type of player, but all it has done is confused his game.

This same garbage happened at times at BC. Coaches see a big kid and instantly want to park him in front of the net when he should be wheeling and dealing. In the 2012 playoffs Torts let him skate free and it worked out very well. I think they really tried to BC him down in Hartford and went back to the **** that didn't work well. When he was free'd up and allowed to wheel and deal he looked great.

I really hope that AV allows the kid to play the way he played successfully in the past. Free wheeling and shooting. Throw the occasional hit but don't go out of your way to play a powerforward game that you aren't comfortable with.
Putting him infront of the net is not retarded, it's a way to get him on the ice. If not infront of the net on the PP, where are you going to put him? You see Kreider playing the point against some of the best of his peers in the world?

Kreider will become at least a very solid player (homegrown, fast, strong 20+20 winger) and can even become a very good player (the above but say 30+25): but it will be because of his tremendous strength (including shot) and wheels. He is very one-dimensional with the puck. Putting him in a playmaking role is like putting Pyatt in a playmaking role. Kreider is in no way a PP sniper; he does not have an elite one-timer in any sense. The EA Sports generation has a problem figuring him out. I recon many believe I am trashing him when I say he might "only" score 30+25. That would be pretty freakin amazing and have like been topped by what 2-3 players drafted by this org since the Amonte generation...

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 06:29 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Because Kovy just retired?

Obviously the Russian Factor exists, but that alone doesn't make him drop to the 3rd round.
reasons he dropped

1. He's Russian

2. His coach said he was not committed enough to off ice training

3. He doesn't play much defense

4. He's Russian

5. He's Russian

Any he's Russians = lazy enigma who will either:

a. Not come over

B. run back to Russia like Kovy did

Old
07-12-2013, 06:39 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Because a certain Russian just left their team to go play in the KHL. Teams are worried about Russians not coming over to play, so they'll continue to slip in the draft each year. The ones who are here already are less of a worry, but teams are weary of spending a high pick on a kid who might never come over the pond.

Buchnevich is supremely talented, but he's going to need to put on quite a bit of muscle before he's ready to play in the NHL. He also has no two-way game to speak of. That'll need to be addressed.
You can't deny the Russian factor, that would be silly. If I am picking top 3, I'd worry for sure if picking a Russian.

But, can anyone name a single highly touted Russian who has not come over the NA? Who has not preferred to try to play in the NHL? Tarasenko is here. Yakubov is here. And so forth. All playin for like 10-20% of what they would make in the KHL (net like 500k vs 4-5m USD).

Buschnevich was at our rookie camp. He is signed and under contract with his team, but still came over.

Boo Nieves is a real long shot. I like him, but nobody can put forth any kind of numbers putting him over a 10/90 barrier of becoming a strong player for us (top 6). Any player we take in this draft in the 15-25 range would also be a real long shot to become a top 6 forward for us. 20%?

Bush is a long finesse guy. He would compete for two positions on the top line on a NHL team. He is a finesse player. He is hardly a prodigee, has yet to make it in the KHL etc.

But we get a kid with a legit shot of becoming something atleast. That's not bad for a 3rd round pick.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 06:49 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Stop.

We drafted a highly skilled player who is Russian. If he were Canadian, American or swede, he's a mid to late 1st rounder.

See what Leslie said about him. Read for Gordie Clark says. Read what was blogged and tweeted about his performance recently at rook camp.

Please take a moment and review all the pre draft stuff written about this young man.

Then tell me that we didn't get a potential gem in the 3rd round.
Stop what? I'm only quoting you.

Cool. He's talented offensively. So is Duclair (in fact, they both have a similar upside).

I'll care about him when he comes over and signs a contract.

Old
07-12-2013, 07:15 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
You can't deny the Russian factor, that would be silly. If I am picking top 3, I'd worry for sure if picking a Russian.

But, can anyone name a single highly touted Russian who has not come over the NA? Who has not preferred to try to play in the NHL? Tarasenko is here. Yakubov is here. And so forth. All playin for like 10-20% of what they would make in the KHL (net like 500k vs 4-5m USD).

Buschnevich was at our rookie camp. He is signed and under contract with his team, but still came over.

Boo Nieves is a real long shot. I like him, but nobody can put forth any kind of numbers putting him over a 10/90 barrier of becoming a strong player for us (top 6). Any player we take in this draft in the 15-25 range would also be a real long shot to become a top 6 forward for us. 20%?

Bush is a long finesse guy. He would compete for two positions on the top line on a NHL team. He is a finesse player. He is hardly a prodigee, has yet to make it in the KHL etc.

But we get a kid with a legit shot of becoming something atleast. That's not bad for a 3rd round pick.
Kuznetsov

Also Yak is making close to 4 million and Tarasenko is also making over 3 mill

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote