HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Trade and Proposals Thread XXXVII: Is MacT mostly done?

Closed Thread

Old
07-12-2013, 04:20 PM
JAY Z

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRadicals View Post
On an "offensive minded" team like the Oilers, if at any point Gordon is our 2C, were not touching the playoffs.
Like I said, for extended periods, that's a hell no. If he's slotting in for a game or two, it's not a big deal.

He's not making any beauty passes or snipes as a 2C, but if he can cycle and (as a centremen) get the first pass out of the defensive zone to start a rush for his wingers, he'll do fine.

I'm not saying he's a 2C, what I'm saying is I don't mind him there for a couple games if need be.

Old
07-12-2013, 04:22 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Ryan Smyth

Tbh I'm shocked we haven't taken a risk on Peter Mueller. Injury prone but loads of upside. Keep him on the 4th line for most games and let him slide into the top 6 in case of injury. The fact that he can play both center and RW should be very helpful in that regard. He has played center before, so if RNH doesn't start the season, we can slot him on the 2nd line and cross our fingers.

I also wouldn't mind the team re-signing Smithson at this point. Sure he's just a faceoff/hit bot, but we missed the boat on a couple good 4th line centers like Maxim Lapierre and Matt Hendricks. I'd much rather have some competition for the 4th line center spot then just hand it to an unproven guy like Lander, or a career AHLer like Acton. Unless we can pick up someone like Zack Smith/Ryan Carter in return for Hemsky, our center depth looks puke worthy.

Old
07-12-2013, 04:24 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Ryan Smyth

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAY Z View Post
Like I said, for extended periods, that's a hell no. If he's slotting in for a game or two, it's not a big deal.

He's not making any beauty passes or snipes as a 2C, but if he can cycle and (as a centremen) get the first pass out of the defensive zone to start a rush for his wingers, he'll do fine.

I'm not saying he's a 2C, what I'm saying is I don't mind him there for a couple games if need be.
What if Gagner gets 6 mil in arbitration and we have to let him go? We need another center on this team ASAP.

Old
07-12-2013, 04:28 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
What if Gagner gets 6 mil in arbitration and we have to let him go? We need another center on this team ASAP.
We pity the team that signs him anywhere close to that number.

Old
07-12-2013, 04:30 PM
Lindo

We need 3rd line wingers and maybe even another center. MacT can't be that dumb to put all his faith in Joensuu/Jones/Smyth/Hamilton. Hemsky has to be traded for some 3rd line help.

Old
07-12-2013, 04:32 PM
Pablo Aimar

Quote:
The big red dog would be an amazing goalie.

Playing an offence only 1 dimensional player with a defence only 1 dimensional player is a disaster waiting to happen. The fact that they're both soft as pillows doesn't help either. One of these players fills a major need, the other is completely redundant, I think I'll keep the pillow that we need. If the Oilers want to be competitive, Ales Hemsky cannot be on the team when the puck drops in October, and instead we should have some actual bottom 6 forwards who can play physical/defensive hockey there.
Are you actually calling Hemsky "soft as a pillow"? Holy smokes.

Old
07-12-2013, 04:34 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

How many Big Macs would you guys eat to have [Big] MacT throw Harvey the Hound's head on the ice (Saddledome or Rexall, you choose) during the first Battle of Alberta of the year?

Old
07-12-2013, 04:35 PM
JAY Z

Quote:
There's no way he's getting a valuation of 6M, but I see your point. We've got no dept on the 1 and 2C spots. I guess that's what Horcoff was good for.

Old
07-12-2013, 04:36 PM
Bergeron47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth Slothersons View Post
How many Big Macs would you guys eat to have [Big] MacT throw Harvey the Hound's head on the ice (Saddledome or Rexall, you choose) during the first Battle of Alberta of the year?
I wouldn't need any further incentives to eat several Big Macs. The situation should be something that most people wouldn't like to do.

Old
07-12-2013, 04:40 PM
gqmixmaster

vCash: 50
Quote:
Tbh I'm shocked we haven't taken a risk on Peter Mueller. Injury prone but loads of upside. Keep him on the 4th line for most games and let him slide into the top 6 in case of injury. The fact that he can play both center and RW should be very helpful in that regard. He has played center before, so if RNH doesn't start the season, we can slot him on the 2nd line and cross our fingers.

I also wouldn't mind the team re-signing Smithson at this point. Sure he's just a faceoff/hit bot, but we missed the boat on a couple good 4th line centers like Maxim Lapierre and Matt Hendricks. I'd much rather have some competition for the 4th line center spot then just hand it to an unproven guy like Lander, or a career AHLer like Acton. Unless we can pick up someone like Zack Smith/Ryan Carter in return for Hemsky, our center depth looks puke worthy.
I agree but I would like to give lander more playing time, perhaps the Oilers are waiting to resign smithson before they see if they can get something with Hemsky. Mueller would be good risk but it may be the case that his fitness isn't regarded well or maybe he has an attitude or perhaps Mueller said he wasn't interested in Edmonton.

Old
07-12-2013, 04:42 PM
Comic Book Guy*

I propose

Here's a kind of deal that may be mutually beneficial for two franchises. How about an, "Our garbage for your garbage" hockey deall?

DEAL 1:

To Columbus:
Ales Hemsky

To Edmonton:
Jackson Johnson

DEAL 2:

To Buffalo:
Nick Schultz

To Edmonton:
Patrick Kaleta

Oilers get a 2nd unit powerplay guy who can play mid to bottom pairing minutes with Ferrence in Jack Johnson. Nick Schultz... I'd be happy to get anything for him and would be thrilled to get a third-line-shift-disturber in Kaleta.

Buffalo will most likely not let go of Kaleta, but here's a sampling of him:

My gosh.... what a puke. I love him already.

Old
07-12-2013, 04:47 PM
Wrecker99

Staufer said yesterday he thinks the Oilers will add some bottom end tougness.....ie an enforcer that can play.....not sure who that would be, but is it to perhaps counter McGratten.

Old
07-12-2013, 04:47 PM
Comic Book Guy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecker99 View Post
Staufer said yesterday he thinks the Oilers will add some bottom end tougness.....ie an enforcer that can play.....not sure who that would be, but is it to perhaps counter McGratten.
you mean, Kaleta

Old
07-12-2013, 04:55 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Is this THE patrick keleta that Ryan miller called out?

Old
07-12-2013, 04:55 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecker99 View Post
Isn't exactly a whole lot of super heavy's that can play.

Old
07-12-2013, 04:56 PM
raab
Where's the Heart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comic Book Guy View Post
Here's a kind of deal that may be mutually beneficial for two franchises. How about an, "Our garbage for your garbage" hockey deall?

DEAL 1:

To Columbus:
Ales Hemsky

To Edmonton:
Jackson Johnson

DEAL 2:

To Buffalo:
Nick Schultz

To Edmonton:
Patrick Kaleta

Oilers get a 2nd unit powerplay guy who can play mid to bottom pairing minutes with Ferrence in Jack Johnson. Nick Schultz... I'd be happy to get anything for him and would be thrilled to get a third-line-shift-disturber in Kaleta.

Buffalo will most likely not let go of Kaleta, but here's a sampling of him:

My gosh.... what a puke. I love him already.
Jack Johnson is far from junk. No way we get him for Hemsky straight up.

Old
07-12-2013, 05:01 PM
Comic Book Guy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Jack Johnson is far from junk. No way we get him for Hemsky straight up.
He's pretty junky. He causes more goals than he contributes. Fans in LA and Columbus don't exactly want him that bad.

Since you guys are a little sour on Kaleta, here's DEAL 2 B

To Buffalo:
Nick Schultz

Marcus Foligno

Marcus is big, and plays with a bit of an edge... but goodness gracious this man is a bad fighter.

Old
07-12-2013, 05:04 PM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comic Book Guy View Post
He's pretty junky. He causes more goals than he contributes. Fans in LA and Columbus don't exactly want him that bad.

Since you guys are a little sour on Kaleta, here's DEAL 2 B

To Buffalo:
Nick Schultz

Marcus Foligno

Marcus is big, and plays with a bit of an edge... but goodness gracious this man is a bad fighter.
I would agree that Hemsky won't get you Johnson, but I'd say there's even less of a chance Schultz gets you anything resembling Marcus Foligno.

Old
07-12-2013, 05:04 PM
Comic Book Guy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
Is this THE patrick keleta that Ryan miller called out?
In fairness to myself, I did call it a garbage for garbage swap. Kaleta won't be getting us Stanley Cups any time soon, but if any of our kids get run by Lucic, we'd have at least one guy to step up to the plate and fight him (win or lose... most likely get beaten)

Old
07-12-2013, 05:08 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

I REALLY wanted Magrattan and would've given him 3 years if that's what it took to pry him out of Calgary. IMO we missed the boat there.

07-12-2013, 05:09 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Has Bourdeleau (sp?) signed anywhere yet?

EDIT-Yes he did, back in Colorado on a multi year deal.

Old
07-12-2013, 05:12 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47 View Post
I wouldn't need any further incentives to eat several Big Macs. The situation should be something that most people wouldn't like to do.
I just thought that eating say 20 big macs in a row would be difficult.

Old
07-12-2013, 05:31 PM
doulos

Kaleta is a piece of garbage and can't even play hockey. Nothing but one giant liability that will do nothing but put targets on our skilled players because he is such a cheap player who tries to injure others. NO.

Old
07-12-2013, 05:33 PM
Puritania

vCash: 1206
Matt Kassian maybe? He can play can't he?

Old
07-12-2013, 05:48 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Ryan Smyth

Absolutely not to Patrick Kaleta, we need to be purging team cancers, not adding them. We finally managed to get rid of Belanger and Whitney, and look like we can finally dump Hemsky to a team like New Jersey. Acquiring Kaleta gives us a player who's a bigger negative influence than all 3 of those lazy floaters combined.

Closed Thread