Notices

Mark Jankowski invited to Team Canada's World Junior Camp

Old
07-12-2013, 01:14 PM
Turboed

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae View Post
On the Jankowski going to NHL camp part, holy hell no. The kid seems to be having a decent development camp, but that is no indication that he is anywhere close to the NHL, even if he were to put up ppg numbers in the NCAA this year he'd still be looking at another year of AHL at the very least. The only way he is successful is if he isn't rushed, give him a couple more years before we start talking about bringing him in.
I would like to start off by saying I'm by no means disagreeing with you but instead is just some food for thought. Why are people under the impression that Janko can't be nhl ready yet looks as good or better than monahan?
I'm perfectly fine with both staying where they are right now but am simply playing devil's advocate.

Turboed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 01:16 PM
DBU
Stars

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by wflames View Post

DBU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 01:39 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
If Janko is being compared to Baertschi, and Bart is obviously NHL ready, then its appropriate to look at Jankow as well

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 01:42 PM
Trae

It's one development camp, hell its only been 1 day of skating.

Trae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 01:45 PM
Savoie16

i've been reading the prospect forum for 2014 Canada World Junior Team and it makes me really hope Janko gets in and rips the tournament apart.

Savoie16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 01:55 PM
Turboed

vCash: 500
Haha yeah it is pretty brutal over there.

And yeah it is only one day but this is basically the extent ive heard about him all year. Small sample size but all i personally have to go on.

Turboed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 03:37 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFinnishStarter View Post
People rag on Feaster, but is it at all possible he found a gem?
If Jankowski pans out, Weisbrod would deserve a lot more of the credit for the pick, considering he's the one who originally went out to scout the player and then told Feaster to pick him. Credit to Feaster for deferring to Weisbrod though.

And conversely, if Jankowski doesn't pan out, Weisbrod would also shoulder most of the responsibility.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 03:45 PM
Hand of Gaudreau
Gaudreaubey Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
If Jankowski pans out, Weisbrod would deserve a lot more of the credit for the pick, considering he's the one who originally went out to scout the player and then told Feaster to pick him. Credit to Feaster for deferring to Weisbrod though.

And conversely, if Jankowski doesn't pan out, Weisbrod would also shoulder most of the responsibility.
Except while Weisbrod gave his opinion, it was Feaster who put his job on the line to choose him. Feaster is fully to blame or credit for the pick, just because a scout gave him their report doesn't mean they get the credit, the GM has to make the final decision and this was by no means a popular decision at the time. I say good on Feaster, taking a risk that could very well in the end cost him his job.

Now a full year beyond the pick where everyone hated him, most people seem to have changed their tune about the way he drafts as well as the players he's drafted. When people get mad at Poirier, all I think is, look at Janko, give it a second.

Hand of Gaudreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 03:45 PM
Anglesmith
GDTs now 90% off!

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
From fans' perspective, that's probably a 'should,' not a 'would.' Feaster will get credit for listening to his scouts if Jankowski pans out, and he'll get heat for not taking a more conventional approach if he doesn't, even though in either case he did his job the same way.

Anglesmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 04:09 PM
Adirondack Flames

About Janko/NCAA players.

NCAA do not participate in main camp (and by extension exhibition games), nor are they allowed as it would require them signing a professional try-out agreement which would void their NCAA eligibility.

Adirondack Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 04:39 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
Quote:
Except while Weisbrod gave his opinion, it was Feaster who put his job on the line to choose him. Feaster is fully to blame or credit for the pick, just because a scout gave him their report doesn't mean they get the credit, the GM has to make the final decision and this was by no means a popular decision at the time. I say good on Feaster, taking a risk that could very well in the end cost him his job.

Now a full year beyond the pick where everyone hated him, most people seem to have changed their tune about the way he drafts as well as the players he's drafted. When people get mad at Poirier, all I think is, look at Janko, give it a second.
I agree with this statement entirely. A manager has to look at not only who the scouts think is the best player available, but the organizational needs, finances, depth, farm depth, and overall direction. That's why they make the final decision. All Weisbros has to do is watch these kids, evaluate them, project them, and rank them against others in order to submit a report.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 05:12 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Quote:
I can't agree with that. Yes, GM's have the final say on all drafts picks, and thus, bear responsibility in what is ultimately a results orientated business, but at the same, deciding the situation is that black-and-white doesn't work. Did Feaster put his job on the line with the pick? Maybe. Was it his idea to make the pick in the first place? No.

From the draft video, Feaster states that he and Weisbrod were debating trading the pick, until Weisbrod saw Jankowski personally and decided his potential was simply too good to pass up.

There can't be a double standard where fans excuse Feaster shoddy drafting record with the Lightening because he had poor scouts, but then turn around and say, any success the Flames might have in the draft have is entirely due to him. It doesn't work that way.

It should be patently obvious that Feaster's judgment on potential is limited and there's no shortage of examples to illustrate that. At the same time, it's not a slight to say Feaster defers to people like Weisbrod who are much more knowledgeable in that regard. And Weisbrod isn't just the scout here, he's the assistant GM as well. It's very much a joint decision.

Quote:
Fans were more upset about passing on Shinkaruk than Piorier himself. Just like last year when no small number of fans weren't happy that the Flames passed on Teuvo Teravainen, as opposed to just hating Jankowski the player. And it's still way to early to say anything definite on whether the Flames made the right choice or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wflames View Post
From fans' perspective, that's probably a 'should,' not a 'would.' Feaster will get credit for listening to his scouts if Jankowski pans out, and he'll get heat for not taking a more conventional approach if he doesn't, even though in either case he did his job the same way.
If fans do that though, they'd be wrong. If Jankowski doesn't pan out, would Feaster bear some responsibility for that? Yes, since as GM, he has the final say on the draft. But at the same, most people are more or less aware of Feaster's limitations in this area; and since he very wisely hired much more credible people to handle it, any failures would mean the issue would be with the people he hired and his choices therein, not that he ultimately took their advice. Feaster listening to the people he hired is actully good management but it doesn't mean we can ignore the contributions made by those same people.

And if the pick fails, it wouldn't and shouldn't excuse Weisbrod from anything, since it was originally his call to make the pick. Jankowski busting would look much worse on him in my mind, especially with regards to his ability to be a GM.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote