HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Mact's performance thus far.

Old
07-10-2013, 08:48 PM
mozdzend

vCash: 756
Next on MacT's to do list:

- find a taker for Hemmer without retaining salary (easier said than done?)
- fill out the bottom 6 (ditto?)

mozdzend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 08:51 PM
jadeddog

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mozdzend View Post

even if he has to retain salary, hell, even if he has to retain the full half that the CBA allows... who cares? we're not a cap team next year... in fact i *hope* that he retains salary, as it means hemsky will be worth more in a trade

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 08:53 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mozdzend View Post

I'd much rather retain salary and get a better return than gain the extra cap space and get back less value.

07-10-2013, 09:03 PM
mozdzend

vCash: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
even if he has to retain salary, hell, even if he has to retain the full half that the CBA allows... who cares? we're not a cap team next year... in fact i *hope* that he retains salary, as it means hemsky will be worth more in a trade
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
I'd much rather retain salary and get a better return than gain the extra cap space and get back less value.
True, I guess we've reached the point that he is our only bargaining chip that will realistically fetch the bottom 6 players we need via trade. Better to retain and get players instead of picks eh.

mozdzend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 09:24 PM
SchultzSquared

B+ grade for MacT right now... Ference Gordon Labarbera had to be done yes but he did them... if Tambo was still here he would have diddled around and kept Horc Khabi and Whitney and thought that they would magically become good again.

Perron for MSP is a great trade short term... maybe long term if we can get him signed to a fair deal after proving he is a fit with Sam...

Speaking of which... to get an A... MacT needs to either lock 89 up to a fair deal or move him and sign Grabo...

Hemsky... not too concerned about him really... there is still one more hole to fill yes but even if we entered next year with this

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Perron-Gagner-Yakupov
Penner-Gordon-Hemsky
Joensuu-Lander-Jones

Smid-J. Schultz
Ference-Petry
N. Schultz-Klefbom/Belov/Larsen/MacT's hinted signing
Potter

I am good with it... better all around than last year while still having the cap room AND the picks to tweak it further

SchultzSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 12:07 AM
AVE MAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchultzSquared View Post
Hall-RNH-Eberle
Perron-Gagner-Yakupov
Penner-Gordon-Hemsky
Joensuu-Lander-Jones

That's got to be the softest forward group in NHL history. Hemsky has to be traded for toughness in the bottom 6. ie Matt Martin(as another poster suggested) or Zach Smith would be perfect.
No Penner, Oilers need more of a Kyle Clifford. Hell I'd give Ben Eager another go with a new coaching staff.
Its ok for the top 6 to be skilled and small (i guess) but then your bottom 6 has to be tough, physical and a little bit nasty.
Bang, Crash, Kill Penalties, pop in the odd timely goal, get your team on the PP and drop the mitts when need be. That's the jd for a bottom 6 player.

AVE MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 12:12 AM
plikestechno

If one thing's obvious it's that the rebuild is over. Lowe, MacT, Howson just aren't rebuild guys. They don't have the patience. They tried to buy into Tambellini's idea but it's not who they are.

Fans who don't like change should maybe go find a new team. Like Lowe and Sather before him there are going to be a lot of deals in his reign. He will win some, he will lose some.

I really like that he swept away a lot of the garbage already, decisions on who's staying have probably been made for awhile. And they're the same guys I would have got rid of so I'm happy. I just hope that everyone he's bringing in make the team better but only time will tell.

I think MacTs biggest move is bringing in Eakins. This team was already starting to get better and with the combination of players getting older and Eakins alone I think that the team will be even better this year and maybe even challenge for one of the wild cards.

plikestechno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 12:50 AM
Joey Moss
Thanks Smytty!

vCash: 226
After today's trade it's a lot better. Was a little skeptical when he said he probably wouldn't be able to do what he wanted but this is a nice answer to that. I'm so excited to watch Perron in Oilers silks. Definitely was a little worried with the gap at #2 LW before today. Our top 6 is fantastic. Up there with Pittsburgh for best in the league. Soft? Yes.. but no one in the Western Conference can match the speed and skill we have right now. Now MacT needs to solidify the bottom 6 which was his main priority before this off-season. Gordon is great but he replaced Horcoff. Not a big upgrade there. Grit and sandpaper is needed in our bottom 6 and we actually have good assets to make this kind of move. (Hemsky and N. Schultz)

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 12:51 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
No kidding, its one season.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 12:53 AM
armandh01

Quote:
I'd rather have the cap to sign some better 3rd liners without worry about cap crunch to resign players next season. (unless we get a 3rd liner for Hemsky). The return for Hemsky will never be great. I'd really like Greening from Ottawa.

armandh01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:00 AM
hemskysuncle

so far i like his moves to a point...but i am skeptical to a point. I like the trade today, as well as the signing of Ference and Gordon the most.
if hemsky has to be traded, and frankly i don't see him fitting here anymore...then i am hoping it is done with purpose and not just to get rid of him. bring in a true bottom 6 presence...i would say that is quite possible in return for a potential 60-70 point winger still under 30. someone with size and checking skill. we might retain salary...but i think we would get the 2nd round pick back for that salary.

hemskysuncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:47 AM
Mr.Prez
Hai Kids!

vCash: 129
Hall - RNH - Eberle
MPS - Gagner - Yakupov
Jones - Horcoff - Hemsky
Smyth - Belanger - Brown

Whitney - Petry
Schultz - Schultz
Fistric - Smid

Khabibulin
Dubnyk

-----

Hall - RNH - Eberle
Perron - Gagner - Yakupov
Jones - Lander - Hemsky
Smyth - Gordon - Brown

Schultz - Klefbom
Ferrence - Smid
Larsen - Petry

Dubnyk
Randy Bachman

Mr.Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 09:24 AM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Good thing he traded down in the draft to select all those nice Russian players; instead of selecting one of the good ole Canadian goalies. Watch the exodus for Russian money begin.

2013 will prove to be as 'wasted' a draft as 2012. When will this organization learn.

Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 09:28 AM
dem

From what MacT is saying.. We are going to move Hemsky and then we are done.

Watching Smyth this season is going to be painful.

dem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 12:04 PM
Baggers

I prefer to give MacT grades in categories as opposed to an overall grade.

Draft: A. Many might disagree with this grade, but I like to look at the draft as a whole. Due to Tambo's trade deadline incompetence, the team was left with 1 1st round pick, 2 2nd round picks, and no 3rd or 4th round picks (when Whitney/Hemsky/Khabibulin could probably have been dealt to stock the cupboard with picks). MacT didn't get bent over by Gillis (I would have given up on the Oilers permanently had they traded the 7th + Klefbom for Schneider) or any other GM, and in a deep draft he turned one 2nd round pick into a lot of extra picks. If there was a move to be made for the Oilers to move up into the top 5 (while giving up minimal assets) and MacT didn't take it, then I would downgrade this grade to a C, but from all accounts neither CAR nor NAS were moving their picks. For this I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Horcoff trade: B. If MacT is able to use the cap savings to sign an effective player, I will upgrade this to an A. The reason I have a B here is that as much as Horc has (somewhat deservedly) become a whipping boy around here, the team still has loads of cap space, and a C line-up of:

Nuge - Gagner - Horcoff/Gordon - Gordon/Horcoff

is vastly superior to a C line-up of

Nuge - Gagner - Gordon - Lander.

Free Agency: C. Gordon was a good pickup, but 90% of the posters here thought Belanger was a good pickup 2 years ago - same strengths, same system, same team - and Gordon is going to be given much more responsibility than Belanger ever was. Don't get me wrong, I think Gordon will be a better player, but he was also a less-than-stellar player in his time with Washington.

Joensuu and Belov are complete unknowns, and while I like the Ference acquisition, I also think that he might be a letdown having to play too many minutes on a team with a weak defensive core. I also don't have faith in LaBarbera as a backup if Dubnyk goes down for any length of time.

The fact that this team still has massive holes while free agency fixes were/are out there, combined with the fact that the team has salary cap space makes this grade a C at best.

Perron trade: B+. I will preface this by saying that I will not give any trade that isn't a clear win for the Oilers anything more than a B+, but this is (IMO) a proper hockey trade. STL gets cap space and a young winger with size, speed, and a great work ethic. The Oilers get a legitimate top 6 winger that goes to the net and has skill. I think this may be the kind of trade where both teams win.

Baggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 12:37 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

I'd give his a nice firm slap on the ass for the work he's put in

Sloth Slothersons* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 12:41 PM
The Last Dynasty
We're in Hell men

B+

Loved the Perron trade

liked the signings of Ference, Gordon, Labarbara, Belov

was fine with the draft...Nurse was "safe", liked the Roy pick and the russians

still got holes at Center and 3rd line though

The Last Dynasty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 01:03 PM
GreatKeith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone View Post
Good thing he traded down in the draft to select all those nice Russian players; instead of selecting one of the good ole Canadian goalies. Watch the exodus for Russian money begin.

2013 will prove to be as 'wasted' a draft as 2012. When will this organization learn.
Like Tyler Bunz and Olivier Roy?

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 03:55 PM
JAY Z

The thing about MacT is that despite his firing in 2009, I don't think he was the problem. He was good at making the best of what he had, and coached a roster much worse than the one we've had the previous 3 seasons to a position just out of the playoffs (3 points and 6 points in 2008 and 2009 respectively).

The guy knows the game, and I think he'll put a winning team on the ice in the next few seasons. Looking across the NHL though, the Oilers may have had one of the best off seasons in the NHL (not THE best, ONE of the best), right up there with Dallas.

So far, MacT has drafted (hopefully) a top pairing defensemen [something we needed desperately], traded potential for results and addressed the hole at LW [PRV for Perron], signed two impact roster players [Ference and Gordon], and traded away Horcoff's terrible contract without retaining salary and gaining assets in return.

So far so good.

All that's left in my opinion is to add some grit in the bottom 6, and trade away Hemsky (hurts to say it, my favourite player personally).

We're not getting a top paring d-man this year, and our bottom 6 is going to be pretty bad, but I'm confident we're going to have a solid lineup, top to bottom, by this time next year.

For the time being though, anyone else agree that MacT has done more in the 2 months he's been here as a GM than Steve did in his entire stint? Yeah most of us would I'm guessing.

JAY Z is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 05:31 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAY Z View Post
The thing about MacT is that despite his firing in 2009, I don't think he was the problem. He was good at making the best of what he had, and coached a roster much worse than the one we've had the previous 3 seasons to a position just out of the playoffs (3 points and 6 points in 2008 and 2009 respectively).

The guy knows the game, and I think he'll put a winning team on the ice in the next few seasons. Looking across the NHL though, the Oilers may have had one of the best off seasons in the NHL (not THE best, ONE of the best), right up there with Dallas.

So far, MacT has drafted (hopefully) a top pairing defensemen [something we needed desperately], traded potential for results and addressed the hole at LW [PRV for Perron], signed two impact roster players [Ference and Gordon], and traded away Horcoff's terrible contract without retaining salary and gaining assets in return.

So far so good.

All that's left in my opinion is to add some grit in the bottom 6, and trade away Hemsky (hurts to say it, my favourite player personally).

We're not getting a top paring d-man this year, and our bottom 6 is going to be pretty bad, but I'm confident we're going to have a solid lineup, top to bottom, by this time next year.

For the time being though, anyone else agree that MacT has done more in the 2 months he's been here as a GM than Steve did in his entire stint? Yeah most of us would I'm guessing.
Well Tambo did sit on his ass and collected basically every player that's worth anything on this team over the last few years... so there's that.

nexttothemoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 05:52 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Ryan Smyth

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Well Tambo did sit on his ass and collected basically every player that's worth anything on this team over the last few years... so there's that.
Tbh, Tambo did try to make deals, he just took the wrong ones every time. We traded Visnovsky for Whitney, who was an absolute dud for us (although it actually looked good until Whitney's ankle died). We could've had Voynov/1st for Hemsky, but instead got Teubert/1st for Penner (this one pisses me off to no end, we've been trying to replace Penner since the day he left, Teubert was garbage, and Hemsky has hurt the team just by being on it). The biggest problem though was that Tambo was too afraid to overpay anyone, and usually ended up with the scraps like Eager/Foster/Hordichuk.

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 06:22 PM
Hockey Buddha
Joensuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
Tbh, Tambo did try to make deals, he just took the wrong ones every time. We traded Visnovsky for Whitney, who was an absolute dud for us (although it actually looked good until Whitney's ankle died). We could've had Voynov/1st for Hemsky, but instead got Teubert/1st for Penner (this one pisses me off to no end, we've been trying to replace Penner since the day he left, Teubert was garbage, and Hemsky has hurt the team just by being on it). The biggest problem though was that Tambo was too afraid to overpay anyone, and usually ended up with the scraps like Eager/Foster/Hordichuk.
I'll weigh in the Tambellini trades, because while he struck out in some cases, injury played a notable factor (Eager, Whitney). The Oilers ultimately lost the Vishnovsky trade because of injury, but Whitney was a veritable force on the blueline when healthy. The ankle injury was really unfortunate for the player and the team.

I disagree on the Penner trade, as I think that Klefbom is a decent return on Penner imo. The Oilers don't need veteran players in the line up who don't compete on a nightly basis. Penner is merely a luxury for teams with enough talent to get into the playoffs without him busting his hump during the regular season. The Oilers are not that team.

Eager and Hordichuk were efforts to increase toughness in a line up almost completely lacking such players. Eager is a tough guy with some hockey skill sidelined from effectiveness by head injury, and Hordichuk was a one-dimensional player who never backed up from anyone but was not an NHL player. The Foster signing was a gamble after his having a 42 point season, a great offensive season for a defenseman. Unfortunately it is likely to be the height of his career.

Hockey Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 06:26 PM
molsonmuscle360

I think I'd like to see the top 6 a little different then everyone else has been posting. I'd like to see our top 6 looking like:

Hall/RNH/Yakupov
Perron/Gagner/Eberle

I wouldn't be surprised if RNH puts up 60 assists on a line with Yak and Hall.

molsonmuscle360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 06:55 PM
Panda Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Buddha View Post
I disagree on the Penner trade, as I think that Klefbom is a decent return on Penner imo. The Oilers don't need veteran players in the line up who don't compete on a nightly basis. Penner is merely a luxury for teams with enough talent to get into the playoffs without him busting his hump during the regular season. The Oilers are not that team.
We probably would've wound up with Klefbom anyway if we had traded Hemsky.

Penner competed just as frequently as Hemsky, but at least when he wasn't "in" the game, he was reliable defensively.

Penner-now may be a luxury player but Penner-then wasn't.

Panda Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 07:44 PM
MrOiler

MacT grade: B.

If he makes a decent move on Hemsky, then it's B+.

No home runs, but solid singles and doubles. Runs were definitely batted in. If this team starts to gel and chemistry starts to form, I could be talked into upping the grade - but we'll wait and see.

MrOiler is offline   Reply With Quote