HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Paajaravi-Schwartz-Tarasenko

Old
07-12-2013, 03:30 AM
cardsfan

vCash: 500
Paajaravi-Schwartz-Tarasenko

Went through and watched a few Oilers games tonight, and I gotta say, whatever the downside might be for Paajarvi (yes, he has a bad release), he's big and fast and smart on both sides of the puck.

Wondering if anyone else thinks there could be potential for a new kid line. If you moved Schwartz back to his college position, center, you've got a pretty nice line makeup: big, fast, defensively responsible left wing; feisty, possessive, offensively creative center; and sniper who (hopefully) can get dirty on the right side.

If the Blues had that as the third line, the rest of the top nine would come together pretty well:

Steen-Roy-Backes: (or Backes in the middle and Roy on the wing). Has the smell of a top line, could produce steady offense and would be more defensively responsible than other teams' top lines.

Oshie-Berglund-Stewart: I thought this worked well two seasons ago, for the brief period it was employed.

Paajarvi-Schwartz-Tarasenko: A line that could be one of the NHL's best within a few years.

Oddly, I just noticed that these lines would also be age-divided. First line is 29-30-29, second 26-25-25, third 22-21-21.

Last edited by cardsfan: 07-12-2013 at 03:35 AM.
cardsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 04:21 AM
frankielax

My own thoughts on this topic are these:

Backes is a Selke candidate who has had his best years at center. There is no reason to change that.

I really don't see a situation where Schwartz has any long term career at center. He is, for all intents and purposes, a LWer now and a good, potentially great one at that.

From listening to interviews, it really sounds like the plan is using Roy in the Stastny role that Stewart had in his best years in Colorado.

Paajarvi and Berglund where linemates in a very successful World Championships tourney in 2011 and I would expect to see that pairing often.

Steen-Roy-Stewart
Schwartz-Backes-Oshie
Paajarvi-Berglund-Tarasenko
4th line

Possibly switch Osh and Tara, but this is my best guess as to what we see. At least at the beginning until injuries or performance issues arise. These lines give the best balance of shooter/playmaker and offense/defense that I can see.

frankielax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 04:26 AM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

Schwartz actually played most of his college time at wing, centered by his brother, Rylan. I'm not against Schwartz at center, I think he has shown distinct centerman instincts. But for all of the talk of Berglund or Backes on the wing, I think they're better center options than Schwartz is right now. I'd rather see Schwartz put in a position to excel, which, right now, especially in the Blues' system, is probably at left wing.

Also, Oshie-Berglund-Stewart was absolutely not good at the beginning of the 2011-2012 season. Stewart started off looking okay, but then went ice cold and Oshie was playing some of his worst hockey on left wing. Other than a few brief flashes, nearly every other version of Left Wing-Berglund-Stewart has looked better.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 04:43 AM
BlueBeard

I think Schwartz could do alright at center in the NHL. He looked pretty damn good there in the AHL and he plays so smart already it's hard to not imagining having some level of success at center, but probably not as much as on wing.

If Schwartz was going to end up a full time center then I believe it would have come from the same circumstances that saw Backes end up there. IE: a crap ton of injuries with no real replacements and then him running away with it while he is in that position.

BlueBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 09:09 AM
SirPaste
Use The Schwartz!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankielax View Post

Backes is a Selke candidate who has had his best years at center. There is no reason to change that.

I really don't see a situation where Schwartz has any long term career at center. He is, for all intents and purposes, a LWer now and a good, potentially great one at that.

From listening to interviews, it really sounds like the plan is using Roy in the Stastny role that Stewart had in his best years in Colorado.

Paajarvi and Berglund where linemates in a very successful World Championships tourney in 2011 and I would expect to see that pairing often.

Steen-Roy-Stewart
Schwartz-Backes-Oshie
4th line

Possibly switch Osh and Tara, but this is my best guess as to what we see. At least at the beginning until injuries or performance issues arise. These lines give the best balance of shooter/playmaker and offense/defense that I can see.
These are the lines Id like to see, Im sure Hitch will move them around a bit after he see who gels together during training camp/preseason.

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 10:02 AM
stlweir

Armstrong brought up the Steen, Roy, Stewart line. Steen can be effective with anyone. I liked the tenacious Steen, Backes, Oshie line. Schwartz, Roy, Stewart and Magnus, Berglund, Tarasenko.

stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 10:23 AM
LightSoundGeometry*
Light,Sound,Geometry

hitchcock would do that?

I would do the classic line combos like I was playing sega genesis lol ..so I hear you !

I like the philosophy of a pairing and the third man being interchangeable. By doing this, you could reunite the olympic duo of paav/berg/? as a line

Steen/Roy/Stew
schwartz/backes/oshie
Paav/Berglund/SOBOTKA
?/lapp/reaves

Senko - RW ? can he play center ot the left side ?

we all of a sudden look really good up front

i like our team a lot if the young guns can come in and contribute 20 goals and play!

besides the goaltending thing - we look like a powerhouse on paper , hope its not a paper tiger lol

LightSoundGeometry* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 10:50 AM
SirPaste
Use The Schwartz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightSoundGeometry View Post
hitchcock would do that?

I would do the classic line combos like I was playing sega genesis lol ..so I hear you !

I like the philosophy of a pairing and the third man being interchangeable. By doing this, you could reunite the olympic duo of paav/berg/? as a line

Steen/Roy/Stew
schwartz/backes/oshie
Paav/Berglund/SOBOTKA
?/lapp/reaves

Senko - RW ? can he play center ot the left side ?

we all of a sudden look really good up front

i like our team a lot if the young guns can come in and contribute 20 goals and play!

besides the goaltending thing - we look like a powerhouse on paper , hope its not a paper tiger lol
Sobotka will be on the 4th line and Tarasenko in the top 9 without a doubt.

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 12:13 PM
CarvinSigX
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankielax View Post

Steen-Roy-Stewart
Schwartz-Backes-Oshie
4th line

This. The Backes line gets the toughest shifts, while Hitch will send the others out to do the damage. The 4th line should be able to take some hard assignments as well.

CarvinSigX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 12:57 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

I've had thoughts about Schwartz at center, too. I think its more of a situation where he'll slide over if there are injury problems. He's probably about like Steen....capable, but not as good as he is on wing. Anyway, I doubt there is a deliberate move to center, and I really don't see Backes going to wing. Berglund...maybe, but I think now that the team acquired Roy there's no reason for it.

I believe Hitchcock likes to have offensive pairings, and then move other pieces around them. I see:
Roy-Stewart
Backes-Oshie (though I kind of wish this wasn't so)
MPS-Berglund

I think those are the skeleton of the top 9, and then the other players will fill in. I could see either Schwartz on the Backes line, or Steen. Probably Schwartz because of the chemistry they showed at the end of the season. Also, I like Steen's steadiness with the Roy-Stewart pair. He'll be more responsible defensively, and his motor will help keep that line revved up.

Tarasenko makes sense on the 3rd line. He still has a lot to prove in the NHL before people start penciling him in on the top line. Maybe mid-year he slides up. But I really think its MPS-Berglund-Tarasenko. My hesitation with this is Berglund hasn't been the best playmaker. But I have a good feeling about the chemistry here. I just think a month into the season we're going to be loving this line's shifts.

I think Steen/Schwartz can flip flop depending on who the Blues are playing and what role the Backes line is supposed to have. If the Roy line is productive, the Backes line can keep matching the other team's top scoring line and making their lives miserable. If the Roy line falters, then maybe things get shaken up a bit. It really depends a lot on whether Roy-Stewart develop the chemistry that Armstrong envisions, comparable to what we say in Colorado with Stastny.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 02:18 PM
BlueDream

Yeah, those lines aren't bad at all, but there's really no reason to swap a Selke caliber player (Backes) with Schwartz in the middle. No need.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 03:32 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPaste View Post
Sobotka will be on the 4th line and Tarasenko in the top 9 without a doubt.
I agree with you on Tarasenko being top 9. I do think Sobotka may be in the top 9 over MPS though at times.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 03:35 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
I agree with you on Tarasenko being top 9. I do think Sobotka may be in the top 9 over MPS though at times.
Yeah, I could totally see MPS sitting in the pressbox here and there to allow 4th line depth players to get a start, and to give MPS a chance to see the game more. There really aren't "old" forwards on the team any more that I would expect to give a 'maintenance day' to. Backes? Roy I guess.

Jackman is the only guy that I would think might need a night off once in a while, but he's also the last guy that I think would be willing to do it.

Old
07-12-2013, 03:39 PM
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain

vCash: 380
I agree with everyone else so far as far as lines

Schwartz-Backes-Oshie
Steen-Roy-Stewart
Sobotka-Lapierre-Reaves

I really do want to see Tarasenko with a center who has been better than what Berglund has been this far though. If that's an improved Berglund next year then so be it.

Dolph Ziggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 03:46 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falco Lombardi View Post
I agree with everyone else so far as far as lines

Schwartz-Backes-Oshie
Steen-Roy-Stewart
Sobotka-Lapierre-Reaves

I really do want to see Tarasenko with a center who has been better than what Berglund has been this far though. If that's an improved Berglund next year then so be it.
Berglund is the most baffling player on the Blues for me. I am actually a fan of the guy as I feel like he lives and breathes hockey. Also is always looking for ways to improve.

He can be a 50 heck maybe even 60 point guy or he could be a 30 point guy. I have no expectations for what he could do this season.

It's tough that Stewart and Tarasenko are both right wings because I do think both could use a play maker like Roy. If not Roy then maybe Schwartz.

Old
07-12-2013, 04:05 PM
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain

vCash: 380
Quote:
Berglund is the most baffling player on the Blues for me. I am actually a fan of the guy as I feel like he lives and breathes hockey. Also is always looking for ways to improve.

He can be a 50 heck maybe even 60 point guy or he could be a 30 point guy. I have no expectations for what he could do this season.

It's tough that Stewart and Tarasenko are both right wings because I do think both could use a play maker like Roy. If not Roy then maybe Schwartz.
As much as I like the duo of Bashie, I have wondered if maybe it would be better to put Tarasenko with Schwartz and Backes and put Oshie with Berglund.

Dolph Ziggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 05:40 PM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

Quote:

Berglund isn't the model of consistency, but this is a bit of a caricature.

He had 26 points in his second season. Other than that, he's averaged 46 points per 82 games. Even two years ago, when he got 38 points, he still scored 19 goals. For the past three years, he has averaged over 22 goals per 82 games, with his most recent season being his clear best in that department.
Calling him a 30 point player is like calling him a 15 goal scorer, which he's not.

Old
07-12-2013, 06:05 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
Berglund isn't the model of consistency, but this is a bit of a caricature.

He had 26 points in his second season. Other than that, he's averaged 46 points per 82 games. Even two years ago, when he got 38 points, he still scored 19 goals. For the past three years, he has averaged over 22 goals per 82 games, with his most recent season being his clear best in that department.
Calling him a 30 point player is like calling him a 15 goal scorer, which he's not.
I basically am saying if he scored 35 points this season it would not surprise me. Nor would it surprise me is he got 30 goals and 60 points.

I am a Berglund fan. You basically proved my point though he's all over the place in scoring so it's hard to predict he had 47 points followed by 26 followed by 52 followed by 38 points then was on pace for just under 50 points last season. His average is in the 40's because he is all over the place in scoring in the seasons he's played so far.

He's a guy that could be our best center this year or our #3 center.

Old
07-12-2013, 06:10 PM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

Quote:
I basically am saying if he scored 35 points this season it would not surprise me. Nor would it surprise me is he got 30 goals and 60 points.

I am a Berglund fan. You basically proved my point though he's all over the place in scoring so it's hard to predict he had 47 points followed by 26 followed by 52 followed by 38 points then was on pace for just under 50 points last season. His average is in the 40's because he is all over the place in scoring in the seasons he's played so far.
I agree with your point that he's unpredictable, I just don't agree with the specific characterization that he could be a 30 point player. It's been four seasons since he scored 26 points and I think it's an exaggeration to call a guy who scored 19 goals and 38 points a "30 point guy."

Old
07-12-2013, 06:19 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
I agree with your point that he's unpredictable, I just don't agree with the specific characterization that he could be a 30 point player. It's been four seasons since he scored 26 points and I think it's an exaggeration to call a guy who scored 19 goals and 38 points a "30 point guy."
You are taking things out of context I am not labeling him a 30 point player. I labeled him as a player that is tough to predict where his scoring will be. I am saying he's all over the place in scoring. I am saying his point range is possible from 35-65 points next season IMO.

So thus he could score in the 30 point range which is 30-39 points. Even 39 points is still technically a 30 point season.

Old
07-12-2013, 06:43 PM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

Quote:
You are taking things out of context I am not labeling him a 30 point player. I labeled him as a player that is tough to predict where his scoring will be. I am saying he's all over the place in scoring. I am saying his point range is possible from 35-65 points next season IMO.

So thus he could score in the 30 point range which is 30-39 points. Even 39 points is still technically a 30 point season.
No, a 39 point season is a 39 point season. It's way closer to being 40 than it is to being 30. The decade markers are arbitrary.

I didn't think I was taking anything out of context, mostly because I wasn't trying to distort what you said in order to disagree with a point, I was just clarifying things. So I fully accept that's what you meant. Again, just being clear, because as much as all sports fans are prone to exaggeration, there are certain ways in which it's particularly valuable to be accurate - and this is one of them because Berglund is a player I think gets unnecessarily crapped on.

Old
07-12-2013, 07:07 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
No, a 39 point season is a 39 point season. It's way closer to being 40 than it is to being 30. The decade markers are arbitrary.

I didn't think I was taking anything out of context, mostly because I wasn't trying to distort what you said in order to disagree with a point, I was just clarifying things. So I fully accept that's what you meant. Again, just being clear, because as much as all sports fans are prone to exaggeration, there are certain ways in which it's particularly valuable to be accurate - and this is one of them because Berglund is a player I think gets unnecessarily crapped on.
I personally don't see Berglund scoring any lower then 35 points and it wouldn't be impossible for 20 of those points to be goals. I just don't know where his points will fall at all I think he is one of the few players that has the possibility to have a 15-25 point variance in his point totals. I do think he is more likely to score over 40 points but also could score slightly less or a decent amount more.

When I personally label a 50 point player it is anywhere from 50 points up to 59 points. Same goes with a 50 goal scorer is someone that scores 50-59 goals. In general that is the standard I have seen used most on this board.

Berglund is a player I get the impression watches video of him and his teammates often always looking for ways they can improve on their play. That may also be a slight downfall as he tries to hard at times and over thinks instead of just playing on instincts.

Old
07-12-2013, 07:32 PM
BlueDream

Quote:

I have never once gotten that impression from Berglund.

He goes invisible for too often.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 07:57 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
I have never once gotten that impression from Berglund.

He goes invisible for too often.
There was an article with Stewart last season where he mentioned him and other teammates were playing cards. Berglund was watching game tape on a flight. Berglund called Stewart over to him to watch a play and discuss what they could do better next time they are in that situation.

I am pretty sure other players like Oshie have mentioned this as well that he watches a lot of game tape always looking for ways to improve position communication ect on the ice.

Old
07-12-2013, 08:08 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Quote:
There was an article with Stewart last season where he mentioned him and other teammates were playing cards. Berglund was watching game tape on a flight. Berglund called Stewart over to him to watch a play and discuss what they could do better next time they are in that situation.

I am pretty sure other players like Oshie have mentioned this as well that he watches a lot of game tape always looking for ways to improve position communication ect on the ice.
That's literally the only example I can think of like that. Perron is the guy I would say "lives and breathes hockey". I like Berglund as a player, and I think he's passionate and critical of himself. But I have never gotten the impression he puts in disproportionately more time than any other player.