HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Which Jets prospect is most likely to shoot up in rank?

View Poll Results: Which Jets prospect will we be talking about the most next year?
Eric O'Dell 11 11.83%
Connor Hellebuyck 6 6.45%
Eric Comrie 7 7.53%
Ivan Telegin 7 7.53%
Nic Petan 19 20.43%
Austen Brassard 0 0%
Andrew Copp 2 2.15%
Carl Klingberg 1 1.08%
Scott Kosmachuk 4 4.30%
JC Lipton 5 5.38%
Jimmy Lodge 28 30.11%
Julian Melchoriori 0 0%
Ryan Olsen 3 3.23%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-12-2013, 07:22 PM
Resurrection

vCash: 50
Which Jets prospect is most likely to shoot up in rank?

With Adam Lowry in mind, a prospect who I never even knew existed yet in one season has managed to really increase his profile, I now submit to my fellow Jet fans who you think is the most likely to be raved about next year. My criteria is simple, I wont include prospects that I feel are already considered high end blue chips. Sorry if I missed anyone, this isn't scientific!

Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 07:28 PM
AWSAA

vCash: 120
One of the goalies (Hellebuyck or Comrie) and Lodge most likely.

AWSAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 08:05 PM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
Jimmy Lodge has the biggest boom / bust potential IMO. He was on a near 100 point pace over the 2nd half of last season. If he can sustain anything near that next year (especially with key teammates aging out) he will launch himself towards to top of Jets prospect lists.

A little beef would go a long way with Jimmy.

Largely the same story applies to Andrew Copp, but I don't thinl he has the same offensive upside.

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 08:09 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 580
Went with Petan, but I don't sincerely believe it.

I think there is a chance he's the best of the group when things are said and done though.
I just don't see his profile rising that much. I think next year will be a little leaner production wise, due to his linemates switching.

Like the kid though.

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 08:12 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Petan is getting lots of votes, but how much is he gonna climb (already 6th) and what will he have to do to get there? I mean he already led the WHL in scoring. Shy of growing 3 inches taller I am not really sure what he can do to raise his stock.

Last edited by truck: 07-12-2013 at 08:25 PM.
Old
07-12-2013, 08:16 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgsilver View Post
Went with Petan, but I don't sincerely believe it.

I think there is a chance he's the best of the group when things are said and done though.
I just don't see his profile rising that much. I think next year will be a little leaner production wise, due to his linemates switching.

Like the kid though.
Yeah. That's what I was getting at.

Age outs and Jones leaving will slow down the offence, plus he is already ranked pretty high. 6th overall and 1st among the listed players.

Old
07-12-2013, 08:19 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
Petan is getting lots of votes, but how much is he gonna climb (already 6th) and what will he have to do to get there? I mean he already led the WHL in scoring. Shy of growing 3 inches taller I am not really sure what he can raise his stock.

I enjoyed that. Also very true.

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 08:31 PM
Bob E

vCash: 500
I'd love to see Comrie excel at the WJC summer camp and then evaluation camp in December. If he plays at the WJC and is a positive factor in that tournament, that should skyrocket his ranking - like Trouba's tourney did this winter. Subban and Binnington will both move on, so the opportunity could be there.

Would love to see Comrie, Morrissey and Petan all play for Canada this holiday season.

Bob E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 08:33 PM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
Petan is getting lots of votes, but how much is he gonna climb (already 6th) and what will he have to do to get there? I mean he already led the WHL in scoring. Shy of growing 3 inches taller I am not really sure what he can do to raise his stock.
That's what I thought. He's already pretty high up there in terms of his profile. I think the OP is asking this relative to where they currently stand in the depth pool. Adam Lowry was a mid-draft pick that grew by gangbusters. I voted Lodge because of this.

DespoticNewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 08:37 PM
Huffer

I'm going to go with Lodge as the guy who could go the highest from relatively low on the totem pole to much higher up if he continues on the pace that he was at at the end of the season.

I also think though, that a guy like Morrissey, although he may not shoot up the rank (because he is already high), may be a guy that could go from "wait and see", to "wow" if he can have a great season and make the World Junior team.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 08:47 PM
surixon

A strong start to the season may yield a junior champ invite and from*there*anything can happen with goalies. My vote is Comrie who I feel will have a big year and has a decent shot for starting for Canada at the WJC.

surixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 09:56 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

IMO:
*Lodge if he sustains (or improves) the latter half of last season
*Copp if he sustains (or improves) the latter half of last season
*Hellebuyck if he repeats

That's what I see.

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 11:55 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

I voted Lodge since I think he will 100% the most improved prospect. This guy will impress people ALOT, how we got him in the middle of the 3rd round I have no idea.

However I do believe O'Dell will be the most talked about prospect since he will break in successfully to the NHL, IMO.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 12:09 AM
bazaaa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
However I do believe O'Dell will be the most talked about prospect since he will break in successfully to the NHL, IMO.
I voted O'Dell.
I think Hellebuyck could make some noise too.

bazaaa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 12:48 AM
Jets
Resident Sieve

I have a hunch Lipon (no T) will light up the AHL next year and we will all be talking about his NHL potential as a 2nd/3rd line two way winger talent.

Jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 01:54 AM
Sweech
COYS!

It's between Lodge, Comrie, and Olsen for me.

Petan's points might actually dip based on his linemates going into next year.

Lodge may face the same problem. He'll likely be getting first line minutes the whole year next year at C or RW, but won't have as good linemates to feed off of.

Comrie is a gamble as he's a goalie. I can't see Hellebuyck improving last year's numbers, but I guess seeing more consistency would help him...still wouldn't vote for him though. His numbers should dip because they were just way too stupid good last year.

I also think all first year AHLers will see a slight dip. Except for Kichton, who I would vote for because he's the team's only offensive d-man at this point and will likely rack up a lot of PP points and minutes because of it.

Which pretty much leaves Olsen. He made a huge jump after being drafted and I still think he has a lot more in him to jump again. He will likely gain more icetime next year and doesn't face the same problem as some of our other prospects have potentially diminished linemates which could affect their point totals.

So Ryan Olsen it is.

Edit: Copp is another good selection as his linemates return and everyone around him should improve (Nieves, Di Giuseppe, etc.) as well as himself returning to possibly first line duties.

Don't understand people voting for Petan or Lodge.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 08:02 AM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

I sense Lipon could become a crowd favorite on the rock due to his effort, will to win, and playing style. I have a hunch he will transition to the AHL much better than most expect.

I agree with Holden that Lodge was the steal of the draft in the middle of the 3rd round. a pick like that really stacks the odds in our favour that something special could happen from this crop because we have 1st round pedigree in 4 picks IMHO

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 09:24 AM
DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

1 st of all...... I am surprised that this thread has not become another Kulda is under rated debate.... and that he has not received a bunch of write in votes with all his followers on this board with gigantic man crushes on him......

I choose Olsen

I think with his size at center and his increased role on his club this year........ he is going to make a major jump this year and rise in our prospect pool to top 6 status from where i expect him to land this year ...( #15 on our prospect list this year)

Last edited by DEANYOUNGBLOOD17: 07-13-2013 at 09:37 AM. Reason: add last line
DEANYOUNGBLOOD17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 09:47 AM
DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEANYOUNGBLOOD17 View Post
1 st of all...... I am surprised that this thread has not become another Kulda is under rated debate.... and that he has not received a bunch of write in votes with all his followers on this board with gigantic man crushes on him......

I choose Olsen

I think with his size at center and his increased role on his club this year........ he is going to make a major jump this year and rise in our prospect pool to top 6 status from where i expect him to land this year ...( #15 on our prospect list this year)
Also on a side note..... For a team ( The Jets) that wants to build and develop through the draft....... I hope that now that we are going to have a regular off season which includes this weeks development camp , the young guns tournament and a normal training camp..... Our Brass would be able to identify which players they are going to ELC and develop earlier....... why did we have to wait until a week b4 the deadline to sign Lowry.......... I hope that Olsen shows enough at camp to merit a ELC this year ...... It is obvious that he will slide this year regardless...... I see other teams doing this........ More so with Top prospects like Morissay a year from now........

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 09:58 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1250
Am kind of surprised to see so few repping Kosmachuk here. He is a good scorer but is also not strictly a one-dimensional player. The kid loves to dish the puck back and forth with the center, has good wheels, is great on the forecheck, can be creative, competes hard, is an agitator, and is going into his 19 y/o season in junior; he can be expected to have a pretty good upcoming year. Would love to see him play on Scheifele's wing in the prospect tourney, it just looks like they'd mesh well as linemates.

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 10:12 AM
Bob E

Like Kosmo too. He might be a younger, and better, Halischuk in the near future.

Hopefully he has a good season in he OHL, then after a year or 2 on the Rock, he can make the jump to the NHL in that 3rd line rw role.

Bob E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 10:38 AM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
Am kind of surprised to see so few repping Kosmachuk here. He is a good scorer but is also not strictly a one-dimensional player. The kid loves to dish the puck back and forth with the center, has good wheels, is great on the forecheck, can be creative, competes hard, is an agitator, and is going into his 19 y/o season in junior; he can be expected to have a pretty good upcoming year. Would love to see him play on Scheifele's wing in the prospect tourney, it just looks like they'd mesh well as linemates.
He may not be as big as Camara, but he plays a similar game. Camara's style meshed well with Scheifele, so I could definitely see these two on a line working well together at some point as well.

YWGinYYZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 02:22 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
He may not be as big as Camara, but he plays a similar game. Camara's style meshed well with Scheifele, so I could definitely see these two on a line working well together at some point as well.
Good points boys.....that would be an interesting pair and I can absolutely see that working.

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 02:29 PM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

My dark horse vote:

Kichton

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 03:34 PM
JetBlue420
Rookie User

ill go with Ryan Olsen,Jimmy Lodge and The D man that re entered the draft this past year. was originally taken by the islanders.

I also think Petan will be a good one.

I also think a guy like Austen Brassard, because he plays a certain style and has the size could surprise some also.

JetBlue420 is offline   Reply With Quote