HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Erik Condra Re-Signs [2 Years, 1.25M AAV]

Old
07-12-2013, 03:12 PM
SenzZen

vCash: 500
Glad they agreed on this.

Fair deal.

SenzZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 03:13 PM
FightingIrish
Total Lak of Respek

Fair.

FightingIrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 03:21 PM
costermonger
sans classe

He's good enough on the PK that his lack of production is irrelevant, unless he's keeping a roster spot from a better player with the same skill-set. Given his defensive ability, I'd be surprised if that's the case at this point.

Good deal.

costermonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 05:01 PM
dennilfloss
Yes I love disco!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classless Manked View Post

dennilfloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 05:04 PM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
Compensation isn't bad, but the term sucks. Hopefully he gets traded at some point this season.
Because he's not a 6'5" fighter?

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 05:59 PM
HavlatMach9

Less than what I expected. Fair.

HavlatMach9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 06:04 PM
God Says No

This is more than fair in term and value. You are crazy if you think he can be currently replaced by someone in our organization. I'd like to hear the names.

God Says No is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 06:29 PM
Berserker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beville View Post
Because he's not a 6'5" fighter?
No, because Stone, Hoffman, Dziurzynski, Pageau and Lazar are all close to making the jump and we need to create roster spots for them. After that Prince, Puempel, Grant and possibly Robinson are not too far off either. The majority of players listed above will likely be better than Condra when they become established NHL players, with the exception of possibly Grant, Dziurzynski and Hoffman. Condra will be 27 this season, he has basically reached his full potential and will not improve by any drastic margin.

In regards to the fighter comment, firstly I don't really hold much importance in the height of a player. There are plenty of players under 6 ft (such as Mike Richards, Darcy Tucker, Steve Downie, Brenden Morrow, Jordin Tootoo and Brad Marchand) that make just as much of an impact physically (and at times even more so) as much taller players. I personally see the value of fighters as long as they can do something as well as fighting. As much as I like enforcers, I hate the ones that can't hit, don't agitate and basically just skate around asking players to fight. I see no role for a fighter in the NHL if they just meet that criteria. An enforcer should be a capable energy line player who lays a couple of hits a shift, gets into scrums after the whistle, targets more skilled players and attempts to agitate or intimidate them, sustain offensive pressure through an effective forecheck and not be a liability defensively.

Berserker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 06:52 PM
IranCondraAffair

I was worried that he would get a LOT more.

IranCondraAffair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 07:08 PM
Caeldan

Condra is our Chris Kelly 2.0
He will be undervalued by the fan base, but there really isn't a ton of easy replacements for what he brings to the table. The coach needs to have a safe reliable defensive forward to rely on at times.

Dziurzynski I don't even think will spend significant time ever as a Senator. Lazar was just drafted this year so I get that he's the flavour of the month, but again probably won't play more than 9 games this season. Pageau is a completely different style of player, and so is in no way competing with Condra for a spot.

Caeldan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 07:12 PM
Tundraman
GoneCountry

The contract is just about right for his role and experience. As far as making room for a younger guy I wouldn't get excited unless he had a NT / NM clause.

Tundraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 07:22 PM
ZSensFan

Pageau should not play on the fourth line, that should be obvious.

ZSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 07:24 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
1.25M for stamina like Rick Condra has? Steal.

WasTeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 08:16 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:
Compensation isn't bad, but the term sucks. Hopefully he gets traded at some point this season.
MOD

What sucks about this signing though is we may never be able to see Dzurzinsky develop into Glencross, damn.

Last edited by Fugu: 07-12-2013 at 08:58 PM. Reason: flaming
ReginKarlssonLehner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 08:19 PM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caeldan View Post
Condra is our Chris Kelly 2.0
He will be undervalued by the fan base, but there really isn't a ton of easy replacements for what he brings to the table. The coach needs to have a safe reliable defensive forward to rely on at times.

Dziurzynski I don't even think will spend significant time ever as a Senator. Lazar was just drafted this year so I get that he's the flavour of the month, but again probably won't play more than 9 games this season. Pageau is a completely different style of player, and so is in no way competing with Condra for a spot.
Pageau is also a center.

DylanSensFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 08:35 PM
KarlSen

Looks like Murray and I are on the same wave length

Quote:
Don't expect it will actually go to the board. Guessing contract around $1.2-$1.3m up from $800k.

KarlSen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 08:44 PM
Sens Rule

Quote:
No, because Stone, Hoffman, Dziurzynski, Pageau and Lazar are all close to making the jump and we need to create roster spots for them. After that Prince, Puempel, Grant and possibly Robinson are not too far off either. The majority of players listed above will likely be better than Condra when they become established NHL players, with the exception of possibly Grant, Dziurzynski and Hoffman. Condra will be 27 this season, he has basically reached his full potential and will not improve by any drastic margin.

In regards to the fighter comment, firstly I don't really hold much importance in the height of a player. There are plenty of players under 6 ft (such as Mike Richards, Darcy Tucker, Steve Downie, Brenden Morrow, Jordin Tootoo and Brad Marchand) that make just as much of an impact physically (and at times even more so) as much taller players. I personally see the value of fighters as long as they can do something as well as fighting. As much as I like enforcers, I hate the ones that can't hit, don't agitate and basically just skate around asking players to fight. I see no role for a fighter in the NHL if they just meet that criteria. An enforcer should be a capable energy line player who lays a couple of hits a shift, gets into scrums after the whistle, targets more skilled players and attempts to agitate or intimidate them, sustain offensive pressure through an effective forecheck and not be a liability defensively.
Sure Condra is 26 going on 27. But there is no reason he should not improve some. He only has 1 full NHL season and 2 partial ones. Same thing applies to Greening. They have the age and are physically in their primes, but they have less then 150 NHL games... Two playoffs. They still have a lot to learn and saying they are unlikely to improve doesn't make sense to me. They are vets, but young in NHL experience.

Only Spezza, Michalek, Phillips, Corvo and MacArthur are peaked and maybe facing decline. Literally the entire rest of the team should logically improve based on either age or experience. Ryan could be peaked, but he has not had the opportunity to be #1 winger behind Perry and Selanne at times. He could breakout more in a true #1 role. Even Anderson is just breaking out possibly. Methot could even improve at his age, he is still new to a top pairing role.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 09:32 PM
Berserker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens Rule View Post
Sure Condra is 26 going on 27. But there is no reason he should not improve some. He only has 1 full NHL season and 2 partial ones. Same thing applies to Greening. They have the age and are physically in their primes, but they have less then 150 NHL games... Two playoffs. They still have a lot to learn and saying they are unlikely to improve doesn't make sense to me. They are vets, but young in NHL experience.

Only Spezza, Michalek, Phillips, Corvo and MacArthur are peaked and maybe facing decline. Literally the entire rest of the team should logically improve based on either age or experience. Ryan could be peaked, but he has not had the opportunity to be #1 winger behind Perry and Selanne at times. He could breakout more in a true #1 role. Even Anderson is just breaking out possibly. Methot could even improve at his age, he is still new to a top pairing role.
See, this is a valid position and a possibly strong rebuttal to my argument. Thank you for creating a logical argument rather than simply stating your opinion as a refutation to my position.

I think the two debatable areas of my position are whether our prospects are developed enough to take on a full time bottom six role and whether Condra can improve his game by a significant margin.

I personally am not fully convinced that Condra has much room to grow. Yes he is only entering his third full season in the NHL, but at his age can he really make anything more than a marginal improvement? It is pretty rare to find players around his age make any drastic improvements in play throughout their careers. If Condra was 22 or 23 then I believe that this would be a much stronger position.

If Condra can only make marginal improvements in his game and some or many of our prospects make large improvements, then Condra could be moved as soon as this season. I think the two players that are most likely to push Condra out of a roster spot are Mark Stone and Curtis Lazar. Both players are strong defensively, above average penalty killers and can be effective in both a top six or bottom six role. If either makes the team, then they will likely push Neil down to the 4th line RW spot and push Condra out of a RW spot. In that case Condra will be pushed to LW where he will likely be competing with Conacher and Greening. I think Condra would have a difficult time out competing either player for a roster spot.

Berserker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 09:47 PM
65isthenew11

He's played 155 games and has 48pts or 0.31ppg.
He's played 17 playoff games and has 8pts or 0.47ppg.
One of the best PKer's on the team.

Glad he's back for 2 more years.

65isthenew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 09:50 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Good deal for us.

07-12-2013, 09:52 PM
source

This is great value for us. Condra's a defensive ace in his prime, and will be worth significantly more if he can ever find an offensive game.

source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 10:00 PM
RedWhiteBlackGold

He's Kelly 2.0 but making 1.25M a year instead of 2.2M if I recall correctly. I like this deal.

07-12-2013, 10:01 PM
MiscBrah

Quote:
See, this is a valid position and a possibly strong rebuttal to my argument. Thank you for creating a logical argument rather than simply stating your opinion as a refutation to my position.

I think the two debatable areas of my position are whether our prospects are developed enough to take on a full time bottom six role and whether Condra can improve his game by a significant margin.

I personally am not fully convinced that Condra has much room to grow. Yes he is only entering his third full season in the NHL, but at his age can he really make anything more than a marginal improvement? It is pretty rare to find players around his age make any drastic improvements in play throughout their careers. If Condra was 22 or 23 then I believe that this would be a much stronger position.

If Condra can only make marginal improvements in his game and some or many of our prospects make large improvements, then Condra could be moved as soon as this season. I think the two players that are most likely to push Condra out of a roster spot are Mark Stone and Curtis Lazar. Both players are strong defensively, above average penalty killers and can be effective in both a top six or bottom six role. If either makes the team, then they will likely push Neil down to the 4th line RW spot and push Condra out of a RW spot. In that case Condra will be pushed to LW where he will likely be competing with Conacher and Greening. I think Condra would have a difficult time out competing either player for a roster spot.
The point your missing is that even if Condra doesn't improve, he's still a solid NHL player that is excellent on the PK. Mark Stone has 4 NHL games and Lazar has zero professional games.

How can you say that those players are going to push one of the best PKers in the league out of a spot? We don't even know if those players can play on an NHL team, much less lead a PK unit to the top of the league standings.

Why do we need to trade a player who comes at a great price that we need on our team? I don't understand the reasoning. We've developed a player through the Sens system into a elite PKer. He scored 7 points in the players FFS.

Stone and Lazar don't need to be on the Sens roster next season. Nothing wrong with them playing in the AHL and the OHL. Stone can and will be used as a call-up.

You don't develop a player into what you want, sign him for the price you want, then trade him. what the **** do we even need to add?

:

MiscBrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 10:16 PM
topshelfie

Ten people have already said it but good deal.

topshelfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 10:46 PM
Mika Zibanejad
Free the Oppressed

I think Condra just had a lot of bad luck this year, I think with expeirence, he will finish much better, and next season should be his best..

Its really interesting knowing how many of our players COULD have their best NHL season next year

Cowen
Zibanejad
Turris
Wierioch
Lehner
Condra
Conacher
Gryba
Smith/Greening (They are finally fullly seasoned and in their primes)
Ryan
MaCarthur (lots of leaf fans are saying he is going to break out under our system )

If all these players break out, or atleast just have their best season yet, which they should then Look out NHL, because the sens are going to be really dangerous.

and a slim chance to one of the following
Stone/Pageau/Hoffman

Mika Zibanejad is online now   Reply With Quote